Apple discounts 160GB Apple TV to $229, nixes 40GB

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 93
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Just to put this into perspective, $229 is £138.10, add on our vat (currently 15%) and you get £158.86. Currently we are expected to pay £263.

£219 actually, to be fair.
  • Reply 82 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

The ATV's 720p picture quality is very good. There aren't exactly a whole lot of 1080p sources around. So I assume you are claiming that the high profile 720p files are significantly better? I just disagree. I do admit that 1080p produces a difference (under certain conditions - size, distance from TV, type of movie), but that's not in the cards for streaming.

I can see a difference between 480p and 720p. The ATv plays both.

philip

Being that you cannot tell the difference in picture quality beyond AppleTV quality but you can see the difference in picture quality below AppleTV, it is definitely for you.
  • Reply 83 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Well, a big deal to that cuz some people say there is really no difference between DVD quality and 720p. Picture quality isn't important for everyone. Some people don't even mind watching their movie on a tiny iPhone.

There is quite a difference between 720p and dvd quality, which is 720x480 or, for the sake of comparison, 480p if you have a progressive scan dvd player.
  • Reply 84 of 93
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

There is quite a difference between 720p and dvd quality, which is 720x480 or, for the sake of comparison, 480p if you have a progressive scan dvd player.

And there is a quite a difference between 5Mbps 720p on AppleTV and 48 Mbps 1080p on Blu-ray. However some people that say they cannot tell the difference between the AppleTV's 720p and Blu-ray 1080p. And there are people that say they cannot tell the difference between DVD and AppleTV 710p. Hey, whatever works for them.
  • Reply 85 of 93
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Nah because BluRay is still way to expensive for just one movie... And how many times would you watch it? Not many countries outside the US has good BluRay rental...

Did you say the same about DVD? And at least with Blu-rays I can purchase a player from a number of CE manufactures. And for Apple (semi)HD downloads, you have one choice, an overpriced AppleTV

Quote:

So I guess I'm talking outside the US, legal high-def downloads and BluRay ain't real options.

Legal high def downloads I would agree with, but there are plenty of Blu-Rays available at the shops, or online retailers.

Quote:

IMO BluRay is cheaper than AppleTV but with the price as it is now and convenience of digital storage... AppleTV in the US can still be convenient for some, just getting their stuff through iTunes Store.

I'm definitely not being too clear but at the end of the day BluRay isn't that hot in the US, and internationally even less so.

The AppleTV is still too expensive, for the what it provides.

You are not being clear at all, who defines what is called "hot"? Blu-Ray in the US, and internationally is selling more and more units every month, which must be good for the format.
  • Reply 86 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Did you say the same about DVD? And at least with Blu-rays I can purchase a player from a number of CE manufactures. And for Apple (semi)HD downloads, you have one choice, an overpriced AppleTV

Legal high def downloads I would agree with, but there are plenty of Blu-Rays available at the shops, or online retailers.

The AppleTV is still too expensive, for the what it provides.

You are not being clear at all, who defines what is called "hot"? Blu-Ray in the US, and internationally is selling more and more units every month, which must be good for the format.

You have some good points and I agree I am not being clear. I think BluRay is growing but I don't think the rate of adoption is close to that of DVD.

I've complained about it on another thread before, I guess I am bitter here in Malaysia BluRay costs 4x as much as it does in the US and there is a limited range of BluRay players.

I'm not saying AppleTV is better than BluRay per se. But it does offer convenience, for example, renting on iTunes instead of renting discs...

Outside the US we can say AppleTV is not so relevant.

As for BluRay, outside the US BluRay would really gain traction if they can bring it down to the USD$10 range. Developing countries have a very large and fast-growing middle class (think the immensely successful iPhone, for example) that would really get on the BluRay bandwagon if it was widely available, had more rental options, and if it was more affordable.

In Asia, many, many people have widescreen 720p or 1080p HDTVs already. But so few (outside Japan) have BluRay players and discs. This is a glaring discrepancy.
  • Reply 87 of 93
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Nah because BluRay is still way to expensive for just one movie... And how many times would you watch it? Not many countries outside the US has good BluRay rental...

So I guess I'm talking outside the US, legal high-def downloads and BluRay ain't real options.

And even in the US, you've got so many options outside of BluRay, right?

IMO BluRay is cheaper than AppleTV but with the price as it is now and convenience of digital storage... AppleTV in the US can still be convenient for some, just getting their stuff through iTunes Store.

I'm definitely not being too clear but at the end of the day BluRay isn't that hot in the US, and internationally even less so.

For me I buy BDs with films I know I will watch multiple times, or are just real audio visual spectculars which I want to see in high quality. For everything else I rent using my Apple TV.

It's working so far and I'm fairly happy, but I'd like 1080p downloads from Apple with lossless sound. The current quality of the HD downloads from the store isn't exactly awe inspiring. It's barely any better than a DVD.
  • Reply 88 of 93
    Quote:

You have some good points and I agree I am not being clear. I think BluRay is growing but I don't think the rate of adoption is close to that of DVD.

No it isn't, and there is number of things causing that, the greatest being the higher level of media competion that is available now (well really only in the US)

Quote:

I've complained about it on another thread before, I guess I am bitter here in Malaysia BluRay costs 4x as much as it does in the US and there is a limited range of BluRay players.

Well that issue isn't limited to Malaysia, generally most things are cheaper in the US compared to other countries.

Quote:

I'm not saying AppleTV is better than BluRay per se. But it does offer convenience, for example, renting on iTunes instead of renting discs...

Well that really depends on where you live. I can rent a movie from iTunes, which will costs $6.99, and will use 10% of my monthly data cap, or I can walk to the video shop (2 minutes) and rent a movie for $1

Quote:

As for BluRay, outside the US BluRay would really gain traction if they can bring it down to the USD$10 range. Developing countries have a very large and fast-growing middle class (think the immensely successful iPhone, for example) that would really get on the BluRay bandwagon if it was widely available, had more rental options, and if it was more affordable.

In Asia, many, many people have widescreen 720p or 1080p HDTVs already. But so few (outside Japan) have BluRay players and discs. This is a glaring discrepancy.

Well you have the advantage that you live in the same region as the USA, although you do have the language issue. Cost wise, I imagine it will continue dropping, but it will take a while
  • Reply 89 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

£219 actually, to be fair.

Prices have been adjusted in some countries: Spain is ? 259, while The Netherlands, Germany, Portugal etc are ? 269. UK is now £ 219

http://store.apple.com/es/browse/hom...tv?mco=MTE3MzI

http://store.apple.com/nl/browse/hom...tv?mco=MTE3MzI

http://store.apple.com/de/browse/hom...tv?mco=MTE3MzI

http://store.apple.com/pt/browse/hom...tv?mco=MTE3MzI

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...tv?mco=MTE3MzI

Philippe
  • Reply 90 of 93
    Quote:

Well that really depends on where you live. I can rent a movie from iTunes, which will costs $6.99, and will use 10% of my monthly data cap, or I can walk to the video shop (2 minutes) and rent a movie for $1

Ah... If you don't have unlimited data on your broadband plan then that definitely affects your choices.

Quote:

Well you have the advantage that you live in the same region as the USA, although you do have the language issue. Cost wise, I imagine it will continue dropping, but it will take a while

Interesting. I actually didn't know Southeast Asia was under the same Region coding as the USA. It was different for DVDs. As for language things are fine as it is because if it is a US movie in English those in the middle class or higher read/speak reasonable English anyways.
  • Reply 91 of 93
    Quote:

Interesting. I actually didn't know Southeast Asia was under the same Region coding as the USA. It was different for DVDs. As for language things are fine as it is because if it is a US movie in English those in the middle class or higher read/speak reasonable English anyways.

Yes, there are nicer regions for blu-ray.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Region_codes
  • Reply 92 of 93
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

The UK price is, to say the least, insulting. £220 is $358. Apple UK are currently in the same comedy land that Sony lives in, where $1 = £1 more or less.
  • Reply 93 of 93
    would like to see a new version of the ATV, I sold my 1st generation. Basically would like to see the enaery issue or the heating of the device significantly reduced, maybe a UI overhaul, and a processor increase to allow for 1080p support. Of course Would like to see increased codec support but I'm being realistic here. Hard Drive size really does'nt mattre they could make it streaming only for all I care.