Latest Apple tablet rumor: Feb. 2010 launch for $800-$1,000

Comments

• Reply 41 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtfitzp View Post

And when it comes out everyone will say "Apple blew it on the price, it's way too expensive, and only meets a small niche of early adopters," and then it will sell 10 million units in the first two years and redefine the market and people will say, "Oh, we knew apple would do that."

Killer app: total sync with home computer and mobile me every time it's within range of its "home" wifi LAN.

more than just synch-- the tablet and a designated computer (the last one selected) will act as WiFi "significant others". They will share displays, kbs. mice, touch screens/pads, other peripherals, GPUs, CPUs, file systems, applications.

Most of this is currently doable with screen sharing, file sharing, and TelePort (kb & mouse sharing). And there are iPhone apps that interface the Mac via WiFi and bluetooth.

What remains is for the apps on the Mac, Tablet (and iPhone/iPod Touch*) to recognize I/O from the other devices I/O components.

* originally typed as: "iPud Touch"... is that Freudian, or what?

For example iPhoto displaying on the Mac screen, accepting input gestures from the tablet multiTouch [screen].

Or Notes on the iPhone accepting input from the Mac kb/mouse.

• Reply 42 of 204
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

The same argument was put forth with the iPod. There were already MP3 players out there that weren't selling well, so why put one out? Now you see where we are today.

You talkin' about the dawn of the new ZUNEHD!!
  • Reply 43 of 204
    I can see many of the uses posted above being valid (after all, who can argue with what intelligent user's say they actually want?)

I personally look to such a device as a TV and home phone replacement platform (amongst other things.) That massive data center Apple is building must be for something....

Instead of Cell phone monthly fees supplementing the price, we could instead have home phone and TV service fees supplementing it.

Apple might not do such thing first (Skype, Hulu, etc.) But they could do it best, and save me dozens of hours of research and fooling around with current offerings in the process.
  • Reply 44 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Tablets have failed in the Windows world for many, many years now. Personally I believe that's simply due to the entire tablet concept being pointless.

Personally, I believe that's simply due to Windows running on a tablet not working at all. I mean, it barely works in a desktop form factor...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lopsided View Post

The big question now is operating system - will it run an expanded version of the iPhone OS or something closer to 10.6? If it's a slimmed-down 10.6 then that means many standard desktop apps might run on the thing (Office, iLife, Firefox, etc.) But if it's iPhone OS based, then it'll only run apps from the apps store. So, will it be like a really big iPod Touch or a shrunken down MacBook Air? Hmmm...

I would expect that it would run a slimmed-down SL with touch capabilities (Which also describes iPhone OS, to some extent, but I mean a UI closer to SL; although, the difference between the two is not so great as it outwardly appears.) and probably some tweaks similar to, or taken from, Universal Access features now in SL. Handwriting recognition would be a valuable addition, but the stylus problem is an obstacle there. It's also possible that it could run both iPhone apps and Mac apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

that price range is too much for a tablet the most expensive ipod touch is 399 and the macbook is 999 so I'd position it within the range of 599-799

Price doesn't equate with mass, so I don't see any reason why pricing has to fit neatly in between a Touch and a MacBook.
  • Reply 45 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

They were killed by my allergies this week. Ok- I'll try to tone it down.

I haven't been spending enough time with my Bebot app lately.

I never had allergies until I saw a piece of pollen under an electron microscope....it looked like a rolled up ball of barbed wire!

Allergies are a bitch! Hope you feel better soon!
  • Reply 46 of 204
    Quote:

Pipe smoking so early? You left out the Cube, the iPod Hi-Fi, and the AppleTV.

Right now that analogy is a bit premature. The ZuneHD ain't looking all that bad. I might get one.

What you might want to consider is that a year from now MSFT might come out with a competing tablet that copies the Apple tablet and tries to overcome any of the Apple product's shortcomings.

That will be an interesting comparison when it finally arrives. And you know MSFT is going to copy it.
  • Reply 47 of 204
    Quote:

Netbooks are $300-$400 and are everywhere. On my subway this week the students had them in droves. A mother even asked one where she bought hers and how much- she said her son wants one. The reason they're wanted is that they are so light to lug around in addition to their text books. I guess Apple has given up on this market.

So glad they decided to go after the Flip market instead. That's just so much more important.

No, the tablet will replace the text books and do much more.
  • Reply 48 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

No, the tablet will replace the text books and do much more.

Agreed, and the the tablet may not just have one 'Killer App' but have a 'Killer App' for each of a wide variety of industries, think medicine, education.

• Reply 49 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Right now that analogy is a bit premature. The ZuneHD ain't looking all that bad. I might get one.

What you might want to consider is that a year from now MSFT might come out with a competing tablet that copies the Apple tablet and tries to overcome any of the Apple product's shortcomings.

That will be an interesting comparison when it finally arrives. And you know MSFT is going to copy it.

A big-ass Tablet ???
  • Reply 50 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

You really think MSFT is going into hardware more and more? Other than this Zune, I don't see it. Unless they partner with some other electronics brand and slap their name on it as a joint venture. I don't see it.
  • Reply 51 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

TO PARENTS: Do your selves and your kids a favour and get them a nice imac to do their work at home so they don't have to hunch and squint over a damn netbook and so that they can do some basic work done without needing glasses and spinal surgery. And if you want them to be mobile, on the go, (I wouldn't necessarily want that for a my kid, it's best to live in real world no cyber world for a change) get them an iphone. Don't get suckered in into buying junk that you are going to throw away.

I don't think that the netbook market was orginially conceved as a primary computer market. I would agree, that a netbook shouldn't be used as a student's MAIN machine at home. That's what a cheap (say, 600 dollar or less) desktop would be for. The netbook was built to be on the go, great for notes in class, or study sessions, doing social networking in the coffee house, a bit of business on the plane, areas where you need mobility. I never suggest that people get a netbook as a primary computer.

Most netbooks aren't junk. I bought two Acer 150s at 300 bucks. Both outlasted all THREE of my MacBook Pros. And I handle the Acers worse than the MBPs because I know they are much cheaper to replace if anything happens. Still alive and well though! I wouldn't use the machine for any gaming or number crunching (like video editing), but watching things online, or basic office and internet tasks (which is what its built for) it does extremely well.

I also have an iPod Touch that I barely use. Its good for the quick check of email or something online, but I find it too small, and too limited (thanks to its software/app store) to do much else productive. (I can listen to music and watch videos which is nice.) I cannot work on my office related work on the tiny screen, forget trying to take notes or such in class with accuracy. Its more of a toy for me than a productive item.

But yes, don't get a netbook as a primary computer. Get it to complement your main desktop at home. And even at home, its nice to have something that you can lay on the couch and work on from time to time. Those who want mobility in their main computer, please do yourself a favor and get a full sized laptop!
  • Reply 52 of 204
    Why doesn't Apple take a Macbook Air and convert it into a tablet PC. It would be a little thicker with similar battery life, but you wouldn't need to use a custom P.A. Semi ARM. I don't want essentially a larger Ipod Touch. Save the apps store for the Ipods and Iphones.

I've been waiting years for an Apple Tablet that is a stand alone computer not another add-on to a Macbook or iMac with limited internet and crippled processing power in spite of the likely lengthy battery life it would have.
  • Reply 53 of 204
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lopsided View Post

AI has been good at tamping down the wild Apple Tablet rumors. Early 2010 makes sense, as they've been saying for quite some time now. Most of the technical specs - screen size, CPU, etc -sound doable.

The big question now is operating system - will it run an expanded version of the iPhone OS or something closer to 10.6? If it's a slimmed-down 10.6 then that means many standard desktop apps might run on the thing (Office, iLife, Firefox, etc.) But if it's iPhone OS based, then it'll only run apps from the apps store. So, will it be like a really big iPod Touch or a shrunken down MacBook Air? Hmmm...

I see full desktop apps as a disadvantage, unless a comparable app isn't available for a version of iPhone OS. Desktop apps are generally not touch optimized and require more processing power than a iPhone OS version would. As a result, the user experience can suffer, battery life would be reduced and multitasking would be limited (iPhone OS on a tablet would permit multitasking). If there is sufficient demand for a specific application in a tablet, I believe an app would be created for it. To start with, Apple would likely create mobile versions of iLife and iWork, specifically designed for and included with the tablet. As such, I feel viewing a tablet running iPhone OS as a really big iPod is probably too narrow of a viewpoint to take.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmm21 View Post

Why doesn't Apple take a Macbook Air and convert it into a tablet PC. It would be a little thicker with similar battery life, but you wouldn't need to use a custom P.A. Semi ARM. I don't want essentially a larger Ipod Touch.

I've been waiting years for an Apple Tablet that is a stand alone computer not another add-on to a Macbook or iMac with limited internet and crippled processing power in spite of the likely lengthy battery life it would have.

Would you pay $2000 for it? Converting the Air to a tablet would increase the cost relative to the Air, and it still wouldn't be that powerful. Offsetting the increased power over an arm chip would be the increased processor demands from snow leopard and the desktop applications. One of the major problems of past tablets was that they were essentially full laptops converted to a tablet, with a cost higher than the laptop.

An Apple tablet also has the potential to revolutionize companion and remote/cloud computing, so that you don't need a full power portable device. Imagine companion apps that serve as an addtional screen/input device when you are at your computer as well as allow you full access to your processor intensive desktop programs remotely through a touch friendly interface when you are not at your computer. Screen sharing could be greatly improved upon if Apple chooses to make the tablet a true companion device (Only stream necessary and program specific data, not the whole desktop. Don't transmit data for every little step. Instead enable a queing of commands to be sent at once when an action is required, ie. file -> open -> select file to open -> transmit instead of file -> transmit -> recieve -> open -> transmit -> recieve -> select file to open -> transmit).
  • Reply 54 of 204
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I still can't see why this device needs to exist. Is it just to browse the web from my sofa? If so, the price is hilarious. If it's a portable media player then it's far too bulky. Then what? A computer with no buttons? Count me out.

Tablets have failed in the Windows world for many, many years now. Personally I believe that's simply due to the entire tablet concept being pointless.

You answered your own question... they've failed in the Windows world. Now we'll see if they succeed when done right (and with taste.)
  • Reply 55 of 204
    I do believe that multitouch enabled notebooks will be the standard going forward sooner or later.

The touch interface is extremely intuitive and user friendly but it is not nearly as fast to type on as a dedicated keyboard.

On a phone people do minimal typing but on a notebook/netbook the amount is much more.

The lack of a keyboard or lack of standard x86 hardware, software, and OS's is enough to doom this device to niche status only. Moreover, it would add only very marginally to the iPod Touch/iPhone...why pay more...and why carry more?

I think Apple is a smart company and know exactly what they are doing with their products. I doubt this product will ever be brought to market....unless it's as a replacement of the mac book line....
  • Reply 56 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

4:3? 16:9?

Same as iPhone... 16:10(.33)
  • Reply 57 of 204
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    10", $999? Well played Ireland
  • Reply 58 of 204
    Question: How would a parts supplier know the retail price of an unreleased Apple product?

Answer: They would not.
  • Reply 59 of 204
    Quote:

Pipe smoking so early? You left out the Cube, the iPod Hi-Fi, and the AppleTV.

So show some balls and go on the record.

Do you believe this will fail because 1) MS has never figured out how to do it right, and 2) you can't see the market?

Just so we can come back in a year an BBQ up some crow for you.
  • Reply 60 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msr832 View Post

Let's not forget the popularity of Amazon's Kindle. I'm pretty sure that Kindle users will be excited to read books, magazines, and other periodicals in color along with all the other conveniences that a computer can provide. I think Amazon executives are going to be shaking in there boots when the Apple tablet comes out. The Kindle is going to be done with.

Amazon's Kindle is just to jumpstart their software product and Amazon doesn't really care about the hardware.

The Kindle is more hype than anything else and the installed base is tiny compared to the people who still read paper books and don't feel the need to pay $500 for a device just to buy more books