Latest Apple tablet rumor: Feb. 2010 launch for $800-$1,000

Comments

• Reply 121 of 204
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I keep reading about people wanting to run iWorks or any of a number of other documentvcreation programs on this Touch based tablet. It makes want to scream are you all nuts? It is a Touch tablet with no touch typing ability, nobody is going to be writing long winded documents on this thing. A short e-Mail yes of filling out a form, put a multi page document is likely to be way to frustrating.

As to the devices size, steno proportions might work but I'm still thinking it is on the big size.

The key to tablets is not to market them as creation devices but as consumption devices. To this end if the device is to be successful it needs to be part of the iPod / iPhone lineup. This to distinguish the machine from the Mac line up and make clear in peoples minds that it is not a Mac and can not be used like one.

By the way, just like iPhone this does not discount professional usage one bit. It does cause people to refocus on what It is and how the device is used. Apple might even make iWork available for it in the future, for people with limited needs or to do presentations. What they won't do is advertise iWork as an app to do heavy data input with.

What I find sad here is that many have gotten themselves excited over the idea that this device could solve all their mobile computing needs. For some maybe but it is by no means a laptop replacement. The problem is that a lot of people are going to rush out and buy the tablet based on beliefs that don't hold up in the real world, then we will have a jingle band of complaints. In many ways it will be the AIR all over again, people rushed out to buy it and then after a few weeks of use started dumping the machine due to it's limitations.

Finally yes the quoted prices are way to high. $500 is a likely starting point if they truely want to compete against netbooks. The reality here is that the device can't really compete against netbooks and will need it's own reason to exist. Now I say $500 but it could be even lower. The cost to Apple to make a base model is likely to be less than $200 so yeah nice margins. Most importantly that base model needs to come without 3G, which must be optional.

Impossible you say? Not at all, for a 32GB device the electronics ought to cost around $50 to $75, the LCD screen around $100 with the case and assembly taking up the rest. Look to the iPods for example hardware, this tablet won't be much different other than running an SMP power SoC. The main PCB will only be marginally larger with apples goal likely to be one board (see the new MBPs). I just don't see anything to support the price bracket quoted unless the platform is vastly different than I expect or Steveo is excessively proud of the tablet.

Dave
  • Reply 122 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

it's supposed to compete with netbooks in the simple carry around with you computer space that does limited things and is dirt cheap. so cheap that if you break it, you don't care and just buy another one

But this is not cheap, and does not compete with cheap.
  • Reply 123 of 204
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Well for $800 or more I think I'll just take one of these.

I'm sorry, but at the $800 price point I'll take a real computer. A tablet begins to get appealing to me at a lower price, as in $500 or less.

They better have some sekrit features that haven't been thought of yet here or this looks like cube 2.0 to me.

Finally- a voice of reason!
  • Reply 124 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple doesn't need to do any marketing with people like you around.

You won't beat a physical keyboard, but the good news is if you really need a physical keyboard you can buy a MacBook, as they will continue to be sold. At least the Pro will anyhow. This tablet will be handy for doing bits and pieces in school and so forth, and great for couch-computing / couch-surfing. It will fit in with a lot of our modern lives very nicely.

That's a bet I'd like to make [You won't beat a physical keyboard] as there is no way to lose.

The tablet would be a fantastic stand-alone computer... in addition it could be used as a multitouch I/O device for any of the traditional computers.

How many times did you want to reach up and touch your Mac's screen to resize or move something

With a tablet, you can do this without lifting your hands.
  • Reply 125 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And instead you spun into your regular diatribe angainst Microsoft which is so boring to be listening to especially when we're discussing a device.

Hardly, If I was bashing Microsoft you'd really now it. I made a comparison between how the two companies do things. I never said Microsoft was inferior or "sucked". What I said was, I believe they would rush a device like a tablet to the market (they have already and it failed) just like they rushed WinMo to market (not a failure at all but not a huge hit either) and yet the general assessment is that they have to catch up to RIM, Palm and Apple.

Personally I think Microsoft is full of really talented and creative people and they do make great products. Xbox and Surface are awesome and what they are doing with the MILO project is phenomenal. I think they just have had a bad tendency of rushing products to market.
  • Reply 126 of 204
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Totally wrong. I love the OS for my iPhone. I just wouldn't want it for a laptop replacement- the tablet. I think a snow leopard version should be the tablet's OS on it not iPhone's.

I would defintely want multiple windows (OMG did I say that?) on it- just like our Macs have.

You hated on the iPhone pretty hard before you got one, then you completely changed your tune afterwards, even though the feature list was known. Now we are speculating on a tablet with no known features and you are adament on what OS this tablet has to have.
  • Reply 127 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

You hated on the iPhone pretty hard before you got one, then you completely changed your tune afterwards, even though the feature list was known. Now we are speculating on a tablet with no known features and you are adament on what OS this tablet has to have.

Dude- don't even try to re-write history. I never cared for the iPhone because it never had - once again - are you listening now?:

1.) Cut and paste

2.) Video camera

3.) MMS text and pics

4.) AT&T's bad network

When it got the first 3 (all of which I'd asked for over the years and was repeatedly knocked for on here) I bought it but never would have without them. The fourth item has been for the most part fixed in NYC and I lucked out but still bought it taking a chance. I knew how much the iPhone would be fun due to my owning a Touch for a year prior.

I need a full-fledged OS for a computer subsitute- What's so difficult in understanding why? I can't do spreadsheets on an iPhone amongst other things.
  • Reply 128 of 204
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Yes Apple refuses to do so? Yeah- right.

Where the hell are you from, you spew the same old garbage again & again even when we offer up ways for you to educate yourself. This has been mentioned before but if you don't believe what is posted here go check out the jailbreak community. Otherwise stop posting about things you don't understand it just makes you look ignorant.

Also Apple has clearly stated that user multi tasking does not fit into their vision for the iPhone. The current arraingement is nothing more than a choice Apple made when designing iPhone, that does not imply that the policy will hold on future devices.

Quote:

Fanbot nonsense. It just doesn't exist now and that's fine - muti- apping on iPhone that small is not a big need (for me at least).

Again it does exist and frankly this is the last time I'm going to try to set you straight. The limitation is on user apps that haven't been blessed by Apple, Mail for example is always running.

Quote:

But if I'm getting a laptop, netbook, tablet, or whatever it certainly better muti-task. Fully.

Good for you. At this point you have convinced me that you wouldn't be able to leverage the software for anything constructive anyways.

Dave
  • Reply 129 of 204
    Kids aren't stupid. They wouldn't be owning these netbooks if they didn't fulfill their needs. They do talk to each other, you know.
  • Reply 130 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Good for you. At this point you have convinced me that you wouldn't be able to leverage the software for anything constructive anyways.

Dave

Dave - Can you produce financial spreadsheets on your iPhone and print them out?

Have you leveraged that ? Or is Apple hiding that feature from you as well?

When someone states that it should get the same OS as iPhone I would take that to mean the OS as it currently exists on my iPhone- 3.1. Not some Shangrila version that you keep spewing on about.
  • Reply 131 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne

You seem to be disregarding the iPhone OS in whole because you don't think it can be enhanced or extended for a more powerful device.

Quote:

Totally wrong. I love the OS for my iPhone. I just wouldn't want it for a laptop replacement- the tablet.

Whoa, you just contradicted yourself. You said I was totally wrong and then you are disregarding the iPhone OS in whole because you don't think it can be enhanced or extended for a more powerful device (i.e. this "tablet") Although, I do see what you did there. You are equating this mythical device to a laptop replacement. Is that what you believe? That this device will replace a MacBook Pro, for instance?
  • Reply 132 of 204
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

something isn't really cheap when it's crap

QFT.

I know that there's a certain wisdom in knowing when a price point is or is not in "the sweet spot". But it's also true that you can't say something costs too much when you don't know a single thing about the machine except maybe the screen size. As I've pointed out before, my 1st generation iPhone 8GB cost $599. We forget what the price of the device really is, because it's subsidized now.

Personally, I'd quite happily pay more to get one that doesn't have a subscription price attached to it. But the pressure to push the price down is exactly what will land it in a subscription model, unfortunately. Gotta put the costs somewhere :-/
  • Reply 133 of 204
    Now, That's a keyboard!

• Reply 134 of 204
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Finally yes the quoted prices are way to high. $500 is a likely starting point if they truely want to compete against netbooks. The reality here is that the device can't really compete against netbooks and will need it's own reason to exist. Now I say $500 but it could be even lower. The cost to Apple to make a base model is likely to be less than $200 so yeah nice margins. Most importantly that base model needs to come without 3G, which must be optional.

Impossible you say? Not at all, for a 32GB device the electronics ought to cost around $50 to $75, the LCD screen around $100 with the case and assembly taking up the rest. Look to the iPods for example hardware, this tablet won't be much different other than running an SMP power SoC. The main PCB will only be marginally larger with apples goal likely to be one board (see the new MBPs). I just don't see anything to support the price bracket quoted unless the platform is vastly different than I expect or Steveo is excessively proud of the tablet.

You had me nodding in agreement about the uses of tablets, and then you went here. You're gonna be one mightily disappointed guy when this machine comes to market. I always love people pricing the electronic components of a device no one outside of Apple has seen.
  • Reply 135 of 204
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Question: How would a parts supplier know the retail price of an unreleased Apple product?

Answer: They would not.

Exactly, and I was just scrolling down the comments to see if anyone had made this point.

Apple doesn't approach parts manufacturers by saying, "Hey, we need a battery pack for the tablet thing we're making that we plan to sell for $800-$1000."

Apple doesn't even approach parts manufacturers with a description of what kind of device they're going to be contributing to.

Oh, and why are we supposed to pay any attention to the same "sources" that keep getting everything wrong? The Taiwanese parts trackers have possibly the worst track record of any Apple prognosticators, bar none. I get the feeling that these announcements have more to do with pumping a given Taiwanese manufacturer than anything else.
  • Reply 136 of 204
    Quote:

I keep reading about people wanting to run iWorks or any of a number of other documentvcreation programs on this Touch based tablet. It makes want to scream are you all nuts? It is a Touch tablet with no touch typing ability, nobody is going to be writing long winded documents on this thing. A short e-Mail yes of filling out a form, put a multi page document is likely to be way to frustrating.

No, you're nuts if you are claiming to know precisely what an unreleased device will do, or the price for which it will sell.
  • Reply 137 of 204
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Well for $800 or more I think I'll just take one of these.

I'm sorry, but at the $800 price point I'll take a real computer. A tablet begins to get appealing to me at a lower price, as in $500 or less.

They better have some sekrit features that haven't been thought of yet here or this looks like cube 2.0 to me.

Sorry to single you out, but I've never understood why people respond this way to unsubstantiated (and frankly highly dubious) rumors of a price point.

You can't demand that Apple add features, or dismiss a product as being a loser, based on pricing rumors. I can see saying "If these rumors prove to be the case, that would be too expensive, in my book", but just flatly declaring fail as if it were a done deal make no sense, to me.
  • Reply 138 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Whoa, you just contradicted yourself. You said I was totally wrong and then you are disregarding the iPhone OS in whole because you don't think it can be enhanced or extended for a more powerful device (i.e. this "tablet") Although, I do see what you did there. You are equating this mythical device to a laptop replacement. Is that what you believe? That this device will replace a MacBook Pro, for instance?

LOL- I reread and it does look like that.

you orignally said:

Quote:

You seem to be disregarding the iPhone OS in whole because you don't think it can be enhanced or extended for a more powerful device.

I thought you meant was that I was disregarding the iPhone's OS - in general.

I'm sure a version could go in a more powerful device. It already does - the iPod Touch.

However. I still stand by what I originally said: I don't want it on my 10" tablet. Now I might like SL version with some of its characteristics in it- like swiping pics.

But just as it is now- NO.
  • Reply 139 of 204
    Quote:

Totally wrong. I love the OS for my iPhone. I just wouldn't want it for a laptop replacement- the tablet.

The tablet may not be a laptop replacement. At least not this one.

Quote:

I would defintely want multiple windows (OMG did I say that?) on it- just like our Macs have.

Quote:

I need a full-fledged OS for a computer subsitute- What's so difficult in understanding why? I can't do spreadsheets on an iPhone amongst other things.

Just because the iPhone does not have feature X or has limitation Y doesn't mean a tablet running a form of iPhone OS will also not have X or will have Y. In fact, it doesn't even mean a future iPhone will still not have X or will have Y (cut and paste, video camera, etc.).

Quote:

Also Apple has clearly stated that user multi tasking does not fit into their vision for the iPhone. The current arraingement is nothing more than a choice Apple made when designing iPhone, that does not imply that the policy will hold on future devices.

Or that it's inherent to the iPhone OS.

Quote:

When someone states that it should get the same OS as iPhone I would take that to mean the OS as it currently exists on my iPhone- 3.1. Not some Shangrila version that you keep spewing on about.

I think the tablet will still have "iPhone OS," but extended and otherwise optimized for a tablet. And I think many others who think it will have iPhone OS also think this way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

You had me nodding in agreement about the uses of tablets, and then you went here. You're gonna be one mightily disappointed guy when this machine comes to market. I always love people pricing the electronic components of a device no one outside of Apple has seen.

I predicted about $500 for a low-end tablet but that was when the rumor was a ≈5.5" mini-tablet. Now with a rumored bigger display and more powerful components, I don't think it'll be $500.
  • Reply 140 of 204
    Quote:

Dave - Can you produce financial spreadsheets on your iPhone and print them out?

Have you leveraged that ? Or is Apple hiding that feature from you as well?

Agreed iphone OS "isn't robust enough" for many of my desired features as well, but there also seems to be a conflict with the aspirations for the device and the applications a touch device is really best for. Our brains keep thinking we need this, that or he other thing but we're basing those assumptions on current technology and our current habits.

It might be "perfect" if we could have a full blown OSX (ALA Shangrila Hybrid? ) That could at least do some basic photo work and word processing (w/ optional BT KB?). Schools would probably flip over a tablet like that for kids but I don't think it could be made cheap enough and as many have pointed-out a touch device would probably not be great for extensive work unless your a real "masochist" like myself carrying around a BT keyboard with my tablet LOL That makes no sense but I'd still do it.

It seems that we'll have to concede to the fact that that a touch OS more akin to the iphone would be able to do so many other things that we won't see it as a replacement for our laptops but an essential addition to our desktops. That sounds pretty "Apple" doesn't it? (oh wait now I'm Apple bashing. JK JK No harm intended)