Latest Apple tablet rumor: Feb. 2010 launch for $800-$1,000

Comments

• Reply 101 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

and how the tablet will be a failure, and all this nonsensical crap is ringing in you head and getting poured out in these forums, but at least stand by this crap!!!

Get a grip-you're the one ranting non-sensical crap on here. Where did I ever state the tablet will be a failure? Where?

Quote:

where the heck did I trash the zune? I made an ironic remark in terms of it being a belated clone, which was my whole case, how apple will again innovate and others will follow.

That's not trashing? So you now think it's a viable product?
  • Reply 102 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

There's an app for that: HP iPrint

How does that work for my Epson printer?
  • Reply 103 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Since when did Microsoft sell netbooks? Stick to the discussion no matter how delusional your hatred is to MSFT.

I was replying to your iphone rant
  • Reply 104 of 204
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Dude it needs a fullfledged OS - iPhones can only run like 3 particluar apps at one and you certainly know it - stop spinning fanbot nonsense. Not good enough. A crap netbook can even handle that. And not just Apps that Apple approves- it needs to be open. And yes it needsto print and not be synced.

Dude, what are you talking about? The number of apps iPhone OS can ultimately run will be determined by the hardware, and that number will be greater than the number of apps Snow Leopard could run on the same hardware, because the apps and OS would be specifically designed for mobile hardware. Wizard69 already covered the printing argument too.

For the last time: a tablet running iPhoneOS does not mean that the tablet will just be a big iPhone. You take iPhoneOS, enable multitasking, add some desktop elements (ie., expose), create some tablet optimized Apple apps (iLife/iWork, Safari, Mail, etc.) and you have iPhoneOS tablet edition that provides the essential desktop needs, in a touch friendly, no hassle environment while still providing compatibility with 65000+ iPhone OS apps and providing a familar API and proven business model for developers.
  • Reply 105 of 204
    Quote:

There's an app for that: HP iPrint

Only HP printers? I'm now curious, but I don't touch HP printers.
  • Reply 106 of 204
    Quote:

iPhone OS? Why bother- one App open at a time? I don't think so.

Besides- you need to print directly from it or it's a no-go for me.

Quote:

Dude it needs a fullfledged OS - iPhones can only run like 3 particluar apps at one and you certainly know it - stop spinning fanbot nonsense. Not good enough. A crap netbook can even handle that. And not just Apps that Apple approves- it needs to be open. And yes it needsto print and not be synced.

You seem to be basing this off of what the iPhone presently does. Not what it COULD do. Do you honestly think the iPhone is incapable of printing, just because Apple doesn't do it natively now? Same for multi-tasking. It is limited to native apps only because Apple insists on that. Remember, the iPhone OS is a subset of Mac OS. There's no reason to believe that the iPhone OS couldn't be extended to include printing and full multi-tasking any time Apple decides it is time to do it. (i.e. for a tablet device)
  • Reply 107 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The iPhone multitasks just fine thank you. Generally I does have multiple apps runnning, the SDK for user apps doesn't support this though. All apple needs to do is flip a bit somewhere and users could have as many apps as the wanted open.

Yes Apple refuses to do so? Yeah- right. Fanbot nonsense. It just doesn't exist now and that's fine - muti- apping on iPhone that small is not a big need (for me at least). But if I'm getting a laptop, netbook, tablet, or whatever it certainly better muti-task. Fully.
  • Reply 108 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

You seem to be basing this off of what the iPhone presently does. Not what it COULD do. Do you honestly think the iPhone is incapable of printing, just because Apple doesn't do it natively now? Same for multi-tasking. It is limited to native apps only because Apple insists on that. Remember, the iPhone OS is a subset of Mac OS. There's no reason to believe that the iPhone OS couldn't be extended to include printing and full multi-tasking any time Apple decides it is time to do it. (i.e. for a tablet device)

A subset of an OS is not the same OS. It's a mobile version of the OS. The Tablet need a better subset version. That's all I'm saying.
  • Reply 109 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Dude, what are you talking about? The number of apps iPhone OS can ultimately run will be determined by the hardware, and that number will be greater than the number of apps Snow Leopard could run on the same hardware, because the apps and OS would be specifically designed for mobile hardware. Wizard69 already covered the printing argument too.

For the last time: a tablet running iPhoneOS does not mean that the tablet will just be a big iPhone. You take iPhoneOS, enable multitasking, add some desktop elements (ie., expose), create some tablet optimized Apple apps (iLife/iWork, Safari, Mail, etc.) and you have iPhoneOS tablet edition that provides the essential desktop needs, in a touch friendly, no hassle environment while still providing compatibility with 65000+ iPhone OS apps and providing a familar API and proven business model for developers.

That's not the same OS. Period.
  • Reply 110 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Was thinking the same thing while using the iphone to type last night, how they would implement this, it's an interesting problem, that I am sure has got a lot of engineering insight having gone into it. One obvious solution is to just put it on a flat surface and just type much like we write and type nowadays. But that of course doesn't answer almost anything. I 'd be interesting to see how this is handle.

My money is on holding it with one hand and typing in portrait with the other but I 've thought this out.

One of the advantages of a touch surface virtual keyboard is that you can have as many different configurations as make sense.

Laid flat landscape: QWERTY, Dvorak.

Held portrait with 1 hand on each side: Split 2-Thumb kb, Phone Keypad (texter kb)

Held with 1 hand resting on arm landscape or portrait: chording

Any or all of the above-- what meets your need at the time.

Or, Apple could provide an app that allows you to customize a kb configuration by moving the keys around (in the same way you move app icons on the iPhone).

Of course, there is always hand printing, hand writing and drawing.

Try any of the above with a physical QWERTY kb or a traditional laptop.

• Reply 111 of 204
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I was replying to your iphone rant

And instead you spun into your regular diatribe angainst Microsoft which is so boring to be listening to especially when we're discussing a device.
  • Reply 112 of 204
    Quote:

That's not the same OS. Period.

Operating systems evolve, get used to it. Lets say the tablet doesn't come out early next year and iPhoneOS 4.0 enables multitasking, does that somehow change your argument? What I expect to see is a tablet OS to preview features that may come to the iPhone as mobile technology improves.

And how different was my description anyway? The only real change was the multitasking, which will come to the iPhone at some point. Expose, iLife, iWork, Safari, etc could be bundled apps with the OS on a tablet, not core changes.
  • Reply 113 of 204
    Quote:

How does that work for my Epson printer?

Simple: you pay me and I will write an app for that
  • Reply 114 of 204
    Quote:

A subset of an OS is not the same OS. It's a mobile version of the OS. The Tablet need a better subset version. That's all I'm saying.

Of course a subset is not the same as the whole. Just like an iPhone is not the same as a MacBook Pro or iMac. No one knows what this tablet device will be or what it will run.

But I for one would be extremely surprised if Apple is working on a brand new OS or even a brand new subset of OS X for yet another class of device. I would expect them to either a) use full-blown OS X or b) extend and reuse the iPhone OS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud

iPhone OS? Why bother

You seem to be disregarding the iPhone OS in whole because you don't think it can be enhanced or extended for a more powerful device. Am I wrong?
  • Reply 115 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Only HP printers? I'm now curious, but I don't touch HP printers.

Search the app store for "print" there are dozens of apps (some may not be iphone to printer, though).
  • Reply 116 of 204
    Quote:

Simple: you pay me and I will write an app for that

• Reply 117 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I wonder if it would have cell phone connectivity? I mean, I'm not going to place a 10" hunka hunka burning techno love to my ear, but I wonder if it would have a phone app that allows you to connect to say Bluetooth in your car and use your contact lists for one to use the tablet to call while on the road?

Taking information from the article and assuming the tablet is tied to AT&T I would think that it wouldn't be a voice device and would only have a "3G" modem and we'd add "tethering/ extra bandwidth" to our existing iphone plans. I can think of a couple of ways this makes sense to Apple and AT&T (or whatever carrier)

For one the tablet isn't supposed to replace phones or computers and secondly, It's a way to get us to pay more for our data plans. I was wondering how they might drive us to pay more for "tethering.".

My only concern is the price. I don't know the specifics but AT&T's 3G data plan has got to be close to $60/ month. I'm pretty sure Verizon's is as well. Like Someone else on the board said "hopefully it'll be much cheaper". There are few people that would want to pay that much extra for data on yet another device. If it were just like adding another iphone to you family plan then it would be relatively cheap, but not everyone has a family plan either.

I'm voting for the possibility of a 3G modem (in the tablet) for an extra $20/ month. It should be $10 but I'm sure ATT will say $10 for the extra device $10 for the extra data. (hopefully not that much more)
  • Reply 118 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

You seem to be disregarding the iPhone OS in whole because you don't think it can be enhanced or extended for a more powerful device. Am I wrong?

Totally wrong. I love the OS for my iPhone. I just wouldn't want it for a laptop replacement- the tablet. I think a snow leopard version should be the tablet's OS on it not iPhone's.

I would defintely want multiple windows (OMG did I say that?) on it- just like our Macs have.
  • Reply 119 of 204
    Well for $800 or more I think I'll just take one of these.

I'm sorry, but at the $800 price point I'll take a real computer. A tablet begins to get appealing to me at a lower price, as in $500 or less.

They better have some sekrit features that haven't been thought of yet here or this looks like cube 2.0 to me.
  • Reply 120 of 204
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    I know a certain SOMEONE who's gonna be a VERY VERY happy Captain!

Yea it's been posted here before I'm sure but what the hell!

Dave