One-fifth of buyers interested in Apple's unseen tablet

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm hope the new iMac gets a pivot arm like the old G4 had. Along with it's new Touch screen it could be brought down and used either as a Touch or upright as a conventional desktop.

No way that'll happen. I loved the old desk lamp iMac, too!

You can buy third party monitor arms and attach an iMac with it's built-in VESA mount.
  • Reply 42 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

Here's the thing. I think 20% of the population would respond to any survey like this saying they are interested in ANY new Apple product. If I saw a survey asking me if I'd be interested in an $80 Apple toothbrush I'd say i was interested, not a chance I'd buy it though. Interest alone doesn't mean there is really a market for a tablet. I'll hold out that maybe there is, but just that I don't see how. The tablet people claim to want is going to be expensive, unlike netbooks, simply because like the iPhone it is going to need to use some new and expensive tech. A large (7-10") multi-touch screen is not going to be cheap. If you want it to play back 1080p and 3D graphic you need a real video card. If you have a real video card and a big screen you need a big battery (Apple's battery tech may be the one existing thing already laying around in support of a tablet). Even if Apple made this thing I don't think many people would like it nearly as much as they like the idea of it... As I typed this on my iPhone I was constantly reminded just what a pita editing text is on a touch screen... I can type on them just fine, but not having a mouse to quickly go back and revise a word or sentance can suck.

Not to mention what kind of ports does it get?
  • Reply 43 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Note that the poll was, "for those who bought a PC in the last 90 days".

PC includes Macintoshes by definition. If it were PC meaning Windows based computers, then Apple would have been between 0% and 2% on that graph.
  • Reply 44 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I disagree. For example, someone might say: "yeah, but what I really want is an Apple laptop" - to which they would now need to stop up the price a bit. In this scenario Apple makes even more money from the person. And if they can't afford it they would more than often get the tablet IMO, as it will be too cool for them to resists. I happen to also think Apple's margins on the tablet will be huge too. All in all I think replacing the white MacBook with the tablet @ $999 is the right move. To me it even "feels" right. It feels like a very Apple-like move.

Remember when Apple dropped the best selling iPod, the mini? Some said it was gutsy but come on, it was a no brainer with the nano coming out.

dropping a great selling entry level laptop is too dramatic for a product (the tablet) with no record.

If the tablet does come out as a sort of entry to the macbook line the single white macbook could end up looking even more lonely and out of place than it does now. wasn't there a rumor that it was about to be retooled?

Sales figures will shake out where these products belong, I don't think Apple will take a chance on their best guess.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    Quote:

Rule #1: Never, ever buy a first generation product from Apple unless you can afford to buy another one 6 months later. You'll be sorry sometimes as early as 3 months later.

Absolutely! I hate paying Apple to be one of their beta testers!

Besides, we all KNOW there will be things Apple will "leave out" of the 1st Gen tablet. With all the prognostication swirling around the thing (for how many years?), surely the sun, moon and stars won't make the final cut and we'll all be pissed.
  • Reply 46 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

"that 25 percent of respondents bought a MacBook within the last 90 days"

..BS. where was this survey taken? cupertino? the accessories section of the apple store?

how many people reading this forum [self proclaimed fanboys] have bought a macbook in the last 3 months? 25% sounds extremely high.

Read carefully. Of those people who bought laptops within the last 90 days, 25% bought MacBooks. In this article, they didn't tell you how many of the 3100 surveyed people bought laptops within the last 90 days.

Every so often, Changewave will give you that missing piece of data for free. They did it for iPhones a while ago.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    Quote:

Is a tablet needed?

When we see it, the need will appear.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

When we see it, the need will appear.

I wouldn't quite go that far. The want will appear. People need very little, my comment was a joke. Finney - the billionaire who gave it all away - famously said all he needs is a steak sandwich and a place sleep and he's good. He doesn't even have a car.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    Quote:

Finney - the billionaire who gave it all away - famously said all he needs is a steak sandwich and a place sleep and he's good. H

We need more of that. It's refreshing thinking.

BTW, what's wrong with wifi on 3.1?
  • Reply 50 of 71
    Quote:

I disagree. For example, someone might say: "yeah, but what I really want is an Apple laptop" - to which they would now need to stop up the price a bit. In this scenario Apple makes even more money from the person. And if they can't afford it they would more than often get the tablet IMO, as it will be too cool for them to resists. I happen to also think Apple's margins on the tablet will be huge too. All in all I think replacing the white MacBook with the tablet @ $999 is the right move. To me it even "feels" right. It feels like a very Apple-like move.

The white MacBook is really well positioned compared to the MacBook Pro line. Price-wise, it hit's that "under one thousand dollars" sweet spot. Although $899 would look a LOT sweeter to a lot more people! My brother-in-law bought one Saturday.

Not everyone is going to want to give up a real keyboard and a reasonable-sized screen at this point in time. I like my iPod touch, but reading or entering text is something I can do for only very limited periods It will take some time for the tablet paradigm to establish itself and supplant the traditional screen/keyboard computer interaction we're all used to.

I doubt stylus use. While it's a great tool, it's good for only some things; text entry is slow an inaccurate. Voice recognition can only be used in limited situations. Imagine an airplane full of people talking at their tablets?

So, what does that leave us? The Vulcan Mind Meld, of course!

http://baltimore.indymedia.org/userm..._mind_meld.jpg
  • Reply 51 of 71
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    One-fifth of car buyers are probably interested in flying cars as well.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

"that 25 percent of respondents bought a MacBook within the last 90 days"

..BS. where was this survey taken? cupertino? the accessories section of the apple store?

how many people reading this forum [self proclaimed fanboys] have bought a macbook in the last 3 months? 25% sounds extremely high.

You do realize that that's 25% OF THOSE THAT BOUGHT A PC. Look at the graph to which the comment refers.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

We need more of that. It's refreshing thinking.

BTW, what's wrong with wifi on 3.1?

The same thing that was wrong on 3.0. Seems the same to me. Frequently when I connect on a different WiFi and then go back home, it asks for my password, rejects it, and then I need to reboot my WiFi (modem). Such is life.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

You do realize that that's 25% OF THOSE THAT BOUGHT A PC. Look at the graph to which the comment refers.

...thanks for catching that in ALL CAPS, and not catching that two other people already informed me of this.

after viewing that graph, i'm wondering why this article isn't making a bigger point that of all PC's bought in the last 90 days, 42% were Apple. [25% laptops, 17% desktops]
  • Reply 55 of 71
    You seem to have misunderstood something...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

PC includes Macintoshes by definition.

Yes, I understand which is why I responded as I did.

Quote:

If it were PC meaning Windows based computers, then Apple would have been between 0% and 2% on that graph.

Why do you say it would have been 0%-2%?

If the poll had been only Windows based PCs, it would not have included ANY Apple computers.

The person I responded to seemed to think the poll was a random group of people rather than limited to those who purchased a computer of any brand in the last 90 days.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    Of course consumers are interested. Why? Because they know the tablet will come out of the apple forgery a zippy, polished and useful product.

On the other hand they know the copycats will come out with a clunky, ugly, heavy, halfassed product for people to beta test.

Just like the iphone vs. other smartphones.

Ad infinitum.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Of course consumers are interested. Why? Because they know the tablet will come out of the apple forgery a zippy, polished and useful product.

Did you mean foundry?
  • Reply 58 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Read carefully. Of those people who bought laptops within the last 90 days, 25% bought MacBooks. In this article, they didn't tell you how many of the 3100 surveyed people bought laptops within the last 90 days.

"Of those people who bought laptops..." Where does it even say that? Only thing I got from this was 3100 were surveyed, an unknown number responded, of that unknown number 25% had purchased MacBooks within the last 90 days.

Poorly written article as is too often the case.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I don't think there is anything interchangeable about tablets and laptops. I.e. a tablet will not cause the Macbook to disappear. They are entirely different in their use.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I don't think there is anything interchangeable about tablets and laptops. I.e. a tablet will not cause the Macbook to disappear. They are entirely different in their use.

How so? A tablet might server some exclusive purposes, but for the majority I would think it's just another form factor to accomplish pretty much the same things.