One-fifth of buyers interested in Apple's unseen tablet

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

"Of those people who bought laptops..." Where does it even say that? Only thing I got from this was 3100 were surveyed, an unknown number responded, of that unknown number 25% had purchased MacBooks within the last 90 days.

Poorly written article as is too often the case.

Actually, the main article and the article in the forums are not identical.

Many people come straight to the forums and bypass the front page.

This pix is in the main article here -> One-fifth of buyers interested in Apple's unseen tablet

• Reply 62 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

We need more of that. It's refreshing thinking.

BTW, what's wrong with wifi on 3.1?

What's right with it.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

How so? A tablet might server some exclusive purposes, but for the majority I would think it's just another form factor to accomplish pretty much the same things.

It remains to be seen if a tablet will need to be synced or not. MacBooks don't.

it remains to be seen if a tablet can fully handle photoshop, iLife, Office, iWork, etc.

iPhones can't.

Will it be open- accept Firefox, etc? MacBooks do.

There are many unanswered questions for it to say it can fully replace the lowly MacBook.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It remains to be seen if a tablet will need to be synced or not. MacBooks don't.

it remains to be seen if a tablet can fully handle photoshop, iLife, Office, iWork, etc.

iPhones can't.

Will it be open- accept Firefox, etc? MacBooks do.

There are many unanswered questions for it to say it can fully replace the lowly MacBook.

It will be a different beast. There's no need for a tablet running full-blown Mac OS X. We already have laptops for that and there's little to gain with a device like that. That's what "netbooks" are.

I can't imagine that Apple would simply remove the keyboard from a MacBook and call it a day. that's what a tablet running Mac OS X would essentially be. "Tablet" computers like that already exist and are NOT very popular.

I could see expanding the iPod touch metaphor. As an extension of the desktop, syncing with Mac OS X or MobileMe or both is pretty much essential.

It's the simplicity not only of the device, but of the apps that run on them that's so compelling. People want to spend LESS time at their computers, but also have essential information available. The entire iPhone/iPod touch experience is what this is about, NOT lugging a full-blown, but smaller Mac around.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    The tablet will be a game changer if produced in a similar fashion to the iphone/touch- with added functionality. It will alter the educational system in as far as how we learn, study, read, etc. Unlike netbooks, a tablet would/should have the ability to store books in a digital format similar to the Kindle, only you will have full functionality with regards to editing documents via multitouch or stylus-yes, a stylus.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

It will be a different beast. There's no need for a tablet running full-blown Mac OS X. We already have laptops for that and there's little to gain with a device like that. That's what "netbooks" are.

I can't imagine that Apple would simply remove the keyboard from a MacBook and call it a day. that's what a tablet running Mac OS X would essentially be. "Tablet" computers like that already exist and are NOT very popular.

I could see expanding the iPod touch metaphor. As an extension of the desktop, syncing with Mac OS X or MobileMe or both is pretty much essential.

It's the simplicity not only of the device, but of the apps that run on them that's so compelling. People want to spend LESS time at their computers, but also have essential information available. The entire iPhone/iPod touch experience is what this is about, NOT lugging a full-blown, but smaller Mac around.

On the other hand I highly doubt most iPhone users or anybody else for that matter would want the exact same thing (iPhone OS) with just a larger screen. Ity's just not about having information- you have to be able to perform tasks on it as well. And by that I mean not just finding restaurants on Urbanspoon.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

On the other hand I highly doubt most iPhone users or anybody else for that matter would want the exact same thing (iPhone OS) with just a larger screen. Ity's just not about having information- you have to be able to perform tasks on it as well. And by that I mean not just finding restaurants on Urbanspoon.

Absolutely. The limited functionality of current apps can be a real frustration.

There need to be some apps with some creation and editing functionality, not on the level of desktop apps, but as an augmentation of those. Apps would certainly need features beyond the current level of iPhone/iPod touch apps.

Apps like OmniFocus or lite versions of Pages and Numbers. Or FileMaker Pro. I'd love a lite version of Vectorworks, for instance, for doing site surveys and working out construction detail solutions on-site.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    As I understand it, the iPod had been in development for 5 years before it was introduced, and the iPhone as much as 7 years before it was introduced. And I heard from somewhere (maybe here) that the tablet's been in R&D for 7-8 years.

I really think the Newton was a beautiful little (or not so little) critter when it came out, but was at least a decade ahead of its time. So, a second coming feels about right at this time.

I just hope that when this tablet is introduced -- they should just call it "Newton" again -- it will have multi-touch as well as stylus input. Multi-touch definitely has its place for navigating the screen and executing functions, but I don't want to "finger paint". Any drawing or writing I want to do with a stylus. Although the cynic in me worries that Steve will say something like, "Well, our customers won't want a stylus that can get lost. So, our new iTablet will be free of that nuisance." I hope my inner cynic is proved wrong. But Macs have had "one-button" functionality for years, when the rest of the PC world has had two-button functionality. Although, the multi-touch on my MacBook gives me all the two-button functionality I need.

As for stylus input, I like the way Wacom does it: a nice, weighted stylus with writing tip and eraser, pressure sensitivity, and tilt-sensitivity.

Why do I want or need a tablet? Well, as a writer, I find that a lot of my writing ideas come when I don't have a computer handy, and way back in the 20th century, we used these things called notebooks -- stacks of paper, usually lined, and bound together. And we wrote on them with stylus-like devices called pens or pencils. A tablet would be the 21st-century update to that technology. And it would be more durable than a "notebook PC", as it would have no moving parts.

Something with a 9" or 10" screen would be perfect for throwing into a bag when I'm walking or biking around, and whenever inspiration hits, I can take it out and jot down some thoughts.

I do hope that if this tablet -- er, "Newton" -- has been in development for 7-8 years, that a good chunk of that R&D energy has been devoted to handwriting recognition. That's the biggest hurdle to overcome in order for this device to be successful. And of course, I type faster than I write, so keyboard input via Bluetooth would be essential as well. But when I'm out and about, I don't want to stuff a keyboard in my bag also.

Whenever this thing gets released, it's very possible that it will be a transform the industry like the iPod and the iPhone did. Apple has a good track record of this. It won't please everyone, and it won't be for everyone. But I'm looking forward to it.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Note that the poll was, "for those who bought a PC in the last 90 days".

Check again , Chris ...." In addition, RBC found that MacBook sales have been strong, thanks to recent price cuts on the MacBook Pro line back-to-school pricing, and the launch of Apple's new operating system, Snow Leopard. A recent survey of 3,100 in early September shows that 25 percent of respondents bought a MacBook within the last 90 days, up from 12 percent in April. Given this, Abramsky has raised his projected Mac sales to 2.8 million, up from the previous prediction of 2.66 million."

See where it says Macbook ... 25 percent ... 90 days. How on earth did you manage to get PC out of Macbook? ... just askin'
  • Reply 70 of 71
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Check again , Chris ...."

Perhaps you should check again.

Quote:

A recent survey of 3,100

A "recent survey of 3100" what?

It's not 3100 random people walking down the street.

It's 3100 people who have purchased a personal computer (PC) of any model/brand the last 90 days.

25% of the 3100 people polled (all of which have purchased a personal computer of any brand in the last 90 days), have purchased a MacBook.

Quote:

See where it says Macbook ... 25 percent ... 90 days

Yes.

25% of what in 90 days? 25% of the 3100 people polled (all of whom purchased a personal computer in the last 90 days).

See in the picture above (from the main article) where it says, "For those who bough a PC in the last 90 days, who is the manufacturer and what computer type did you buy?"?

If "PC" in this case means only Windows computers, then 0% would have purchased Macintosh computers and 100% would have purchased Windows computers. This would not be a story.

If it was simply 3100 random people and 25% purchased MacBooks, then extrapolating that out would mean Apple sold 75 million MacBooks in the last 90 days (25% of the US population). Yeah, sure...

Quote:

How on earth did you manage to get PC out of Macbook?

I don't understand what this means???

I didn't get PC out of MacBook at all.

I simply read the entire article and the accompanying pictures (Exhibit 1) from RBC Capital Markets/Changewave.

A poll was taken of 3100 people who have purchased personal computers (of any brand to include Apple) in the last 90 days.

25% of those purchases were MacBooks.

Seems simple enough to me.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

...Why do you say it would have been 0%-2%?

If the poll had been only Windows based PCs, it would not have included ANY Apple computers...

Don't know about the percentage; but you can run MS Windows on an Apple PC, maybe that is what he means?