Apple close to unveiling all-new MacBook line

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    Kasper, I vote to stop saying "Cupertino-based" in every article that talks about Apple. It's not necessary every single time. When's the last time you read an article about GE or Oracle or McDonald's? Location is not necessary to understand the point of the article. Just my hard-earned 2 cents.
  • Reply 21 of 102
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

actually they probably do have details to back it up. they have sales in the app store for one thing. sales which might also have linked in the types of devices associated with the apple id being used so they know that those games and such are being bought by touch users. and that the other apps are more often bought by phone users

And what you say has absolutely nothing to do with what SJ actually said. Good try.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Kasper, I vote to stop saying "Cupertino-based" in every article that talks about Apple. It's not necessary every single time. When's the last time you read an article about GE or Oracle or McDonald's? Location is not necessary to understand the point of the article. Just my hard-earned 2 cents.

That does seem a little mom and pop shop.
  • Reply 24 of 102
    lower price on macbook and mba... then announcement about new specs on mbp, and changes in the line to meet environmental standards.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You've mentioned this a bunch of times now unless I'm mixing you up with someone else. I don't get it. What's your point and why does this bug you so much?

In any given article there are quite a few words and expressions that don't add to the crucial information being imparted. If Apple Insider took out everything but "just the facts" then every article would sound like a bad Jack Webb speech.

It may not be necessary to say "Cupertino-based" but it's not inaccurate and doesn't take anything away from the articles. It also doesn't imply or add anything that isn't true.

I get that you think that Apple is more of a global company now and sure, they are trying to be but it's still fair IMO to say that they are a very locally based California company that *ships* globally. You have to actually live outside of the USA to appreciate how far Apple still has to go before it can really say it's a global concern. Their trying, but it's not really a fait accompli yet.
  • Reply 26 of 102
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And what you say has absolutely nothing to do with what SJ actually said. Good try.

What? Jobs said they elected to market the Touch as a gaming machine, because customers told Apple that games were what they wanted.

And someone points out that that was no doubt a result of their sales data showing a strong tendency towards games being most popular on the Touch, and you declare that that has nothing to do with what Jobs said?

Do you just react to things randomly now?
  • Reply 27 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You've mentioned this a bunch of times now unless I'm mixing you up with someone else. I don't get it. What's your point and why does this bug you so much?

In any given article there are quite a few words and expressions that don't add to the crucial information being imparted. If Apple Insider took out everything but "just the facts" then every article would sound like a bad Jack Webb speech.

It may not be necessary to say "Cupertino-based" but it's not inaccurate and doesn't take anything away from the articles. It also doesn't imply or add anything that isn't true.

I get that you think that Apple is more of a global company now and sure, they are trying to be but it's still fair IMO to say that they are a very locally based California company that *ships* globally. You have to actually live outside of the USA to appreciate how far Apple still has to go before it can really say it's a global concern. Their trying, but it's not really a fait accompli yet.

You're mixing me up with someone else.
  • Reply 28 of 102
    Incidentally, just discovered this from Wacom. Fantastic new tool for just about anyone.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

... How exactly is $999 in the sub-$1K category? It's a dollar less. ...

How exactly does a triangle have less corners than a rectangle? A triangle has three and a rectangle has four.

• Reply 30 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What? Jobs said they elected to market the Touch as a gaming machine, because customers told Apple that games were what they wanted.

And someone points out that that was no doubt a result of their sales data showing a strong tendency towards games being most popular on the Touch, and you declare that that has nothing to do with what Jobs said?

Do you just react to things randomly now?

Lets not forget that Apple put out an iPod Touch advert last year, I think with the 2G Touch introduction, that focused completely on iPod Touch games. If my timeline is correct that would have been only about 3 months worth of games on the App Store, yet even then they saw reason to focus on Touch gaming as a selling point.
  • Reply 31 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Lets not forget that Apple put out an iPod Touch advert last year, I think with the 2G Touch introduction, that focused completely on iPod Touch games. If my timeline is correct that would have been only about 3 months worth of games on the App Store, yet even then they saw reason to focus on Touch gaming as a selling point.

Yeah, isn't that when they started calling it the "The funnest iPod ever."
  • Reply 32 of 102
    MacBook Plastic will continue on but will gain a model and drop the current down a hundred. If your gonna compete with Low-Priced books' they can by reducing price on the current and intro it's replacement selling both at the same time.... Then at the next update slide the current down one, and intro the new spec'd unit.

I don't think we'll see the plastic job go away. It's profitable, recyclable and sells well.

I'd like to see the return of the Sub 20" iMac with a lower price point. maybe, MAYBE even remove the top end Mini (making it all options) and sliding down an 18" iMac.

iMac's gone unibody, slimmer case on the sides, less or no chin.
  • Reply 33 of 102
    Lets have more speculation about how Apple can differentiate the new MacBook line from the MacBook Pros.

So far we have lower tech display and last generation Intel Core 2s. I guess you can add onboard Intel graphics vs. separate graphics card.

What else?

By the way, I think the iTablet is an Apple corporate feint. The Touch and the iPhone are the tablets. No one has yet provided a compelling use for the tablet, and looking at the Microsoft Courier prototype just reinforces that conclusion.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Its me. Or I'm one of them (there have been several). Last time I complained I swore never to mention it again and I haven't. And I'm not going to mention that the term tcbc, or tcbem (even worse) bugs the crap out of me here. I'd like to see only 'Apple', or 'the company', or even 'your beloved electronics maker', but then again, I'm not complaining . Kasper did write back once to explain that this is every journalist's bane, to avoid repeating terms, expressions, names etc over and over. If it irritates you as it does yours truly, imagine how it irritates the journalist. To be honest, I have managed to ignore it and let it ride even though it still jumps off the page at me. 8-(
  • Reply 35 of 102
    If they keep the basic design of the current MacBook, could they bring BlackBook back? It's far better than the white one IMO.
  • Reply 36 of 102
    Give me a 15" or bigger screen option (16 or 17 even better), discreet graphics, and core 2 duo, then we can talk for 1k.
  • Reply 37 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

If they keep the basic design of the current MacBook, could they bring BlackBook back? It's far better than the white one IMO.

Yeah, I liked the black one. I'm over the white plastic.
  • Reply 38 of 102
    New affordable Mac lineup sounds right for the holidays, as people by far are holding off any major purchase, but the holidays seem to loosen things a bit.

Now Apple just needs to pay attention to the fact that A LOT of people prefer MATTE screens over reflective/glossy ones which just hide what your trying to see on the screen most of the time.

A choice of either matte or glossy in these new models would do Apple wonders catering to all their customers needs and not just going for the flashy impulsive sale.
  • Reply 39 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by commun5 View Post

Lets have more speculation about how Apple can differentiate the new MacBook line from the MacBook Pros.

So far we have lower tech display and last generation Intel Core 2s. I guess you can add onboard Intel graphics vs. separate graphics card.

What else?

Remove the optical drive and Firewire. But then you just have a MacBook Air for $1800. \
  • Reply 40 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Its me. Or I'm one of them (there have been several). Last time I complained I swore never to mention it again and I haven't. And I'm not going to mention that the term tcbc, or tcbem (even worse) bugs the crap out of me here. I'd like to see only 'Apple', or 'the company', or even 'your beloved electronics maker', but then again, I'm not complaining . Kasper did write back once to explain that this is every journalist's bane, to avoid repeating terms, expressions, names etc over and over. If it irritates you as it does yours truly, imagine how it irritates the journalist. To be honest, I have managed to ignore it and let it ride even though it still jumps off the page at me. 8-(

Everyone has their pet peves I guess.

One that bugs me that isn't likely to change anytime soon is the term "American." Once you've had it personally explained to you how rude this term is to many inhabitants of the "other" America's it's hard to use it again.

Sadly, there isn't really a handy one word alternate term so while I try to avoid using it, I end up doing so at times myself.