Apple close to unveiling all-new MacBook line

Comments

• Reply 61 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

Jeez...

Canadians live in North America. I think they like to be called Canadians, as they decided to call their country Canada, rather than Americans or North Americans because they live on the North American continent.

Brazillians live in South America, and I'm pretty sure they like to be called Brazillians, as they decided to call their country Brazil, rather than Americans or South Americans because they live on the South American continent.

The people that live in the U.S.A. live in North America. We like to be called Americans, as we decided to call our country The United States of America, Rather than North Americans because we also live on the North American Continent. It just stuck.

Should we be called USAmericans? United States Americans? Is that word off-limits because it was already in use to partially designate North, South, and Central America? Is it just not specific enough for some people?

Why does anyone else care what we want to be called? Why is this rude? Who does this really offend? Don't we get to decide what we want to be called? Everyone else does.

I believe it's "US americans":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR75L...eature=related

Get it right, damnit.

So FFS, pay attention, because we need to build up our future for our (or . . . are.)
  • Reply 62 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I believe it's "US americans":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR75L...eature=related

Get it right, damnit.

So FFS, pay attention, because we need to build up our future for our (or . . . are.)

That poor girl.
  • Reply 63 of 102
    The Mac mini might get an update, but only because Intel no longer has any Core 2 Duos under 2.26GHz on their price list.

While I sympathize with those wanting an optical drive (I don't pay full price for 256AAC either), its days are numbered especially in laptops where space is at a premium. Removing it would allow the MacBook to get thinner and lighter.

I think the number one wish for the MacBook is for it to stop cracking and discolouring after just a few months of use. At that point it becomes good value.
  • Reply 64 of 102
    I d really like a larger screen for the air, there's not enough widthwise for me to leave my trusted pbook 12" g4. I f.ing hate that aspect ratio, but what can you do. They can easily fit a 14" screen there.

And also, oh how I d like that, matte pleeaasseee apple, matte air, matte imacs, I got two 24" imacs besides my pbook and I was browsing the store the other day and couldn't help noticing how great the macs where but how bad the glare is especially once accustomed to those beautiful matte displays.

Once the air with the glossy screen seemed passable, but alas at the store after having gotten used to matte so much, I can't handle even the slightest glare. My eyes at thirty something just can't handle it anymore.

But I don't think I ll get what I want, oh well, there are some great used machines out there and a great choice (that we the vocal critics of glossy screens managed this) with the 15" matte macbook pro.

Still, some hope is there, those "long standing requests" that are supposed to be met with this iteration should amount to something. Could this be matte? We shall see.

What I am sure about is that we will see a modern, very well priced line up, that will be stunning marvels of engineering and design, and by far better (and better deals financialy) than anything on the market.

If there are any non mac users here they can be assured that if they do end up buying a mac they'll love it and have a long productive use of it. And any initial small price difference with a "comparable" pc will be by far outweighed by the time, fun, and productivity they ll get out of their mac. Macs age and become vintage, pc's become throw away junk.
  • Reply 65 of 102
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Jobs said that their customers told them that they started to see the Touch as a game machine. He was obviously referencing what Apple was seeing in terms of number of games sold vs. everything else. It's a pretty logical construct: "people are buying mostly games, they think of the Touch as a game machine." I mean, I don't see what the problem be a very peculiar disjunct between app purchasing and use.

Why do you keep saying he was obviously...? How do you know there wasn't a survey instead or even something else? Why do you insist it's based on sales? Please provide you source once and for all.
  • Reply 66 of 102
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

While I sympathize with those wanting an optical drive (I don't pay full price for 256AAC either), its days are numbered especially in laptops where space is at a premium. Removing it would allow the MacBook to get thinner and lighter.

Isn't that what the Macbook air is for? If the Macbook was to get rid of the DVD drive, it would be a Macbook air and it wouldn't be new.
  • Reply 67 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Isn't that what the Macbook air is for? If the Macbook was to get rid of the DVD drive, it would be a Macbook air and it wouldn't be new.

You can keep saying that butbit doesn't make it true. The MBA has an ULV SFF CPU, can only take 2GB of non-upgradable RAM, a 18" HDD, lacking many port options. It's designed to be a ultra-lightweight notebook that still has a workload usable display and keyboard. Removing the optical drive will be like removing the floppy drive; it will be before some people's time who and will be a welcome exclusion for many others. I understand your position on this and feel for you as the inevitable will occur eventually as optical media just can't keep up with solid-state in too many areas that are important to mobile users. On top of that, you have to consider Apple's business model that has historically trimmed fat whenever it can--even before the majority expected them too--as well as their lack of OS support for Blu-ray media, their push for internet-based video, and them being the largest audio distributer in the world. To me, along with the technical issues that can be resolved from the exclusion from optical drives and Apple's steps toward making OS installs easy-peazy from any source with SL, tells me that this is what will be coming... just not when. I see no reason for desktops to lose an optical drive at this point, but a migration with a notebook may be in order within a year or two.
  • Reply 68 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CdnBook View Post

Apple, please update the MacBook Pro too... with the new mobile i7 Clarksfield quad-core (with hyperthreading and turbo boost).

Hey, if HP can do it... http://www.hp.com/united-states/camp...nvy/index.html ...for well under $2K, why can't Apple?

Apple can do it, why would you think they couldn't? Don't confuse not wanting to do something with an inability to do something.

I believe the Core i7 is only available on the 15" Envy and note that it's 5% thicker than the MBP. I haven't compared the width and depth to determine volume yet, but it's likely close o the 15" MBP. Note that you can get 2 HDDs totaling 1TB of storage but this is done at the expense of losing the internal optical drive, something I feel is the inevitable trend.

One manor caveat with the Envy is that even with these new CPUs you have to get the battery extender to equal the reported 7 hour battery time that Apple reports for its MBP. Thi becomes even more of an issue when the Ebvy looks to be 0.18lbs over the 15" MBP in it's base configuration without the extra battery weight and, perhaps more importantly, I only know of Apple and Sony using "realistic" testing for measuring their battery durations on ther system. This coupled with Windows have worse power management than OS X may make this attractive machine less desirable than it could be.

That said, if the OSx86 Project can get all the drivers fo this machine and Apple doesn't have a Core i7 option without the optical drive in the next 15" MBP, I may very well switch to a Hackintosh HP Envy 15.
  • Reply 69 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

I'm sorry, this just keeps bugging me:

How exactly is $999 in the sub-$1K category? It's a dollar less. Apply sales tax and it's over the magic threshold.

EDIT: Wait a minute. First post? That never happens to me. Must be the gremlins or something...

Some States don't have sales tax and some vendors (Amazon) don't charge sales tax or shipping. Shop smart.
  • Reply 70 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

while the MacBook design has grown a bit longer in the tooth, having gone without visual tweaks since May of 2006.

Are you people at AppleInsider really that dumb? Are you unfamiliar with the aluminum design of the MacBook?

This article is as stupid as the iMac one. Wow, possible new models that might be cheaper and faster. Amazing how you figured that out all on your own.
  • Reply 71 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Are you people at AppleInsider really that dumb? Are you unfamiliar with the aluminum design of the MacBook?

If the poly-carb MB had gone away without being updated and then didn't remain as only MB when the other's nomenclature changed with an upgrade then I'd see your point, but it seems quite obvious to me what is implied here.
  • Reply 72 of 102
    I remember this written in AppleInsider:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...cheap_pcs.html
  • Reply 73 of 102
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

Remove the optical drive and Firewire. But then you just have a MacBook Air for $1800. \

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

It would be very logical for Apple to remove the optical drive (a relic of the 20th century) and firewire (which is high-end and expensive) during a major MacBook redesign. While removing the optical drive would allow the next MacBook to be lighter and thinner than its predecessor, it would not be as light or as thin or as sexy as the MacBook Air. It would also probably cost $799 or $899.
  • Reply 74 of 102
    For heaven's sake, dont bring back plastic enclosures.
  • Reply 75 of 102
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why do you keep saying he was obviously...? How do you know there wasn't a survey instead or even something else? Why do you insist it's based on sales? Please provide you source once and for all.

Because Apple knows what apps they sell. They can do math. I'm not really interested in this game.
  • Reply 76 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

Give me a 15" or bigger screen option (16 or 17 even better), discreet graphics, and core 2 duo, then we can talk for 1k.

Dude, you're getting a Dell
  • Reply 77 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

But will they run Crysis?

NOTHING IS F***ING GOING TO RUN CRYSIS even if you put a 64CORE CPU THERE! It's about the GPU when it comes to gaming.

Intel is going far out and good on them with pushing the CPU to the next level. Good for AMD too on the value-for-money side of things.

Nvidia is basically f*ed when it comes to their 2009/2010 GPU strategy. The 9400M chipset is of course excellent on the Mac but they are up against the wall. Great video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR45ja_fNzU

ATI has come up with their 40nm 4770 and 5870, 5850 and some mobile variants which are starting to show good promise in the mobile space.

For mobile graphics, while the 9600GT is no slouch the 40nm stuff from ATI by the end of the year will show some real promise to eclipse the 9600GT in price/performance, if it doesn't already.

Will Apple switch to ATI, with Arrandale laptops? I wonder... they could... but like in the Youtube video they could be still throwing oodles of money at Apple to stay with Nvidia for the most part.
  • Reply 78 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Intel is going far out and good on them with pushing the CPU to the next level. Good for AMD too on the value-for-money side of things.

Nvidia is basically f*ed when it comes to their 2009/2010 GPU strategy. The 9400M chipset is of course excellent on the Mac but they are up against the wall. Great video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR45ja_fNzU

ATI has come up with their 40nm 4770 and 5870, 5850 and some mobile variants which are starting to show good promise in the mobile space.

For mobile graphics, while the 9600GT is no slouch the 40nm stuff from ATI by the end of the year will show some real promise to eclipse the 9600GT in price/performance, if it doesn't already.

Will Apple switch to ATI, with Arrandale laptops? I wonder... they could... but like in the Youtube video they could be still throwing oodles of money at Apple to stay with Nvidia for the most part.

Intel Integrated GPU sucks, if the Apple will switch from NVIDIA to Intel,

the game perfomance will drop in two or three times!

It'd be much better to make chain "Intel for battery saving - NVIDIA for gaming" !

And ATI sucks too - because the best chain is "Intel + NVIDIA",

on the second place - "AMD + ATI", and finally,

the chains "Intel - ATI" and "AMD - NVIDIA" are T H E W O R S T ! ! !
  • Reply 79 of 102
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

It would be very logical for Apple to remove the optical drive (a relic of the 20th century) and firewire (which is high-end and expensive) during a major MacBook redesign. While removing the optical drive would allow the next MacBook to be lighter and thinner than its predecessor, it would not be as light or as thin or as sexy as the MacBook Air. It would also probably cost $799 or $899.

It would be a Macbook air but it would not be as thin as a Macbook air? It just sounds to me like a few people wanting to force the Macbook air to be successful by eliminating any other choices. Maybe it will be like firewire on the Macbook, remove it and bring it back?
  • Reply 80 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Because Apple knows what apps they sell. They can do math. I'm not really interested in this game.

Steve Jobs never mentioned Apps at ALL. You make things up. But you must be also be a mind reader and know that's what he meant.

Again even if what u spew was correct it only means Touch users bought more games . That DOES NOT mean that think of the device as primarily a gaming device which is what he said. that was his shpiel to spin that Jack of any major change in the Touch and to sell more games. And u fell for it.

Now how much to you want that bridge for $$??