Apple close to unveiling all-new MacBook line

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

New affordable Mac lineup sounds right for the holidays, as people by far are holding off any major purchase, but the holidays seem to loosen things a bit.

Now Apple just needs to pay attention to the fact that A LOT of people prefer MATTE screens over reflective/glossy ones which just hide what your trying to see on the screen most of the time.

A choice of either matte or glossy in these new models would do Apple wonders catering to all their customers needs and not just going for the flashy impulsive sale.

Given the current pricing lineup, perhaps we could hope for this:

Bump the specs across the board, as per usual. Possibly the new mobile quad core at the top. Possibly whatever "new features" are being hinted at. I would welcome a matte option, and given that they've quietly reintroduced same for the smaller MacBook Pros, not out of the question.

Retain the base model and make it $999. Shift the current offerings down a price point, so that the current $1199 model goes 24" plus spec bump, etc. on up the line. That makes room at the current $2199 price for a quad core model.

As per previous conversation, that doesn't make the iMac lineup "competitive" with some PC offerings, spec/dollar wise, but it does give Apple a perfectly capable iMac at the all important sub-$1000 point and a "pro" model at the top, albeit one that sort of encourages you to just spring for a Pro.

But that's the case now, as well, and a quad core model would at least make a little more sense for the money, particularly if Snow Leopard can deliver on the speed enhancements.
  • Reply 42 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post

I'm hoping the diminutive Mac Mini gets a power performance improvement as well.

Apple - don't let you true lowest-cost computer languish!

(yes, unlikely they read AppleInsider for development direction... I have sent via official 'Apple Feedback' page

I'm in the market and ideally would like a mid tower from Apple, considered the mini but the white MacBook is a much better deal, similar specs for not much more money. Well not much more considering a built in UPS (battery) and screen, Apple say it's OK to run it with the lid down.
  • Reply 43 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

New affordable Mac lineup sounds right for the holidays, as people by far are holding off any major purchase, but the holidays seem to loosen things a bit.

Now Apple just needs to pay attention to the fact that A LOT of people prefer MATTE screens over reflective/glossy ones which just hide what your trying to see on the screen most of the time.

A choice of either matte or glossy in these new models would do Apple wonders catering to all their customers needs and not just going for the flashy impulsive sale.

Wow, the glossy thing is a really big deal to some people, huh?
  • Reply 44 of 102
    ok, so from what I understood

tablet for early 2010

imac + macbook very soon ?

overall ... a series of sub $1000 screen based computing choices
  • Reply 45 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post

I'm in the market and ideally would like a mid tower from Apple, considered the mini but the white MacBook is a much better deal, similar specs for not much more money. Well not much more considering a built in UPS (battery) and screen, Apple say it's OK to run it with the lid down.

Yeah, but that built-in screen is a measley 13". If mobility is not an issue, and since you're considering the mini I assume its not, then I'd rather have the mini and a nice big 24" screen.

With ya on the mid-tower thing, but the general consensus is that it will be a cold day in hell...
  • Reply 46 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The Cupertino-based, Steve-driven, iPod-saved, fruity-flavor-Mac-maker!
  • Reply 47 of 102
    But will they run Crysis?
  • Reply 48 of 102
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What? Jobs said they elected to market the Touch as a gaming machine, because customers told Apple that games were what they wanted.

And someone points out that that was no doubt a result of their sales data showing a strong tendency towards games being most popular on the Touch, and you declare that that has nothing to do with what Jobs said?

Do you just react to things randomly now?

No- listento me. If Touch users bought more games that onlymeans theybought more games. That doesn't mean they think it's a primarily a gaming device which is what he said. For all you know they could still be using it as a mobile computer. Also that fact is that

any Apps touch user can't buy to begin with because you need GPS and are for phone only. He just speculating that's where SJ came up with that. Pure speculation. Read what SJ actually said , which I believe is a croc only because the camera was pullende hence the vacant space in it for it.
  • Reply 49 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The Cupertino-based, Steve-driven, iPod-saved, fruity-flavor-Mac-maker!

Made in China by slave laboring Maoists....
  • Reply 50 of 102
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

• Reply 51 of 102
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Made in China by slave laboring Maoists....

Didn't you know? All the best stuff is made in China.

The worst stuff, too.
  • Reply 52 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

second...
  • Reply 53 of 102
    Quote:

the camera was pullende hence the vacant space in it for it.

You know, you'd end up in whole lot fewer arguments if you opened your mind to the idea that many things have multiple possible meanings. It's possible that the "vacant space" means a camera was pulled. It's also possible that they played around with the camera idea in prototypes but ultimately decided not to include it for either the reasons SJ gave or for some other reason, but quite early on, which negates the connotation of "pulled", and they didn't bother to refill the space. It's also possible that the "vacant space" was for something else that they didn't include, maybe a GPS chip, or a little bas-relief of SJ's head.

The world is not black and white.
  • Reply 54 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The world is not black and white.

thank you Michael Jackson.
  • Reply 55 of 102
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If all the next Mac desktops have SD card slots I think that will be an indictation that Apple is planning to obsolesce optical drives from their notebooks and move their OS install disks to SD cheap read-only SD cards.

I hope not. How am I suppose to rip my DVD's for AppleTV and iPod? Some of up really have no interest in buying from iTunes. Besides, isn't that what Macbook air is for?
  • Reply 56 of 102
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

No- listento me. If Touch users bought more games that onlymeans theybought more games. That doesn't mean they think it's a primarily a gaming device which is what he said. For all you know they could still be using it as a mobile computer. Also that fact is that

any Apps touch user can't buy to begin with because you need GPS and are for phone only. He just speculating that's where SJ came up with that. Pure speculation. Read what SJ actually said , which I believe is a croc only because the camera was pullende hence the vacant space in it for it.

If I'm following you here (which, good lord, are you posting from your bike?), no.

Jobs said that their customers told them that they started to see the Touch as a game machine. He was obviously referencing what Apple was seeing in terms of number of games sold vs. everything else. It's a pretty logical construct: "people are buying mostly games, they think of the Touch as a game machine." I mean, I don't see what the problem is.

Maybe you want to quibble about whether or not such stats constitute "customers telling" Apple anything, but that would be stupid. Maybe you want to quibble that while customers might be buying mostly games, they aren't actually using their Touches to mostly play games, but that would be a very peculiar disjunct between app purchasing and use.

Or maybe you just want quibble. Also, what appears to be sort of a second paragraph in your post seems to a series of non sequiturs, so I can't really respond to any of that.
  • Reply 57 of 102
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Everyone has their pet peves I guess.

One that bugs me that isn't likely to change anytime soon is the term "American." Once you've had it personally explained to you how rude this term is to many inhabitants of the "other" America's it's hard to use it again.

Sadly, there isn't really a handy one word alternate term so while I try to avoid using it, I end up doing so at times myself.

Yanqui
  • Reply 58 of 102
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    @ Gazoobee:

How about "Yank"?
  • Reply 59 of 102
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

I hope not. How am I suppose to rip my DVD's for AppleTV and iPod? Some of up really have no interest in buying from iTunes. Besides, isn't that what Macbook air is for?

Agreed. I still buy CDs. Why would I buy from iTunes and get the 256k AAC version of an album for $9.99 when I can get it from Amazon on CD for the same price? I use the optical drive on my MBP at least a couple of times a week. It think it's a wee bit premature to do away with the optical drives just yet. Besides, they tried that with the MacBook Air and I don't think it helped it's sales none too much.
  • Reply 60 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Everyone has their pet peves I guess.

One that bugs me that isn't likely to change anytime soon is the term "American." Once you've had it personally explained to you how rude this term is to many inhabitants of the "other" America's it's hard to use it again.

Sadly, there isn't really a handy one word alternate term so while I try to avoid using it, I end up doing so at times myself.

Jeez...

Canadians live in North America. I think they like to be called Canadians, as they decided to call their country Canada, rather than Americans or North Americans because they live on the North American continent.

Brazillians live in South America, and I'm pretty sure they like to be called Brazillians, as they decided to call their country Brazil, rather than Americans or South Americans because they live on the South American continent.

The people that live in the U.S.A. live in North America. We like to be called Americans, as we decided to call our country The United States of America, Rather than North Americans because we also live on the North American Continent. It just stuck.

Should we be called USAmericans? United States Americans? Is that word off-limits because it was already in use to partially designate North, South, and Central America? Is it just not specific enough for some people?

Why does anyone else care what we want to be called? Why is this rude? Who does this really offend? Don't we get to decide what we want to be called? Everyone else does.