Apple warns of near-term iMac, Mac mini constraints

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple this week began informing its direct sales channels that several of its desktop-based Mac offerings have entered a period of constraint, further hinting that Mac hardware updates are on the horizon. [Updated with additional info on Mac mini.]

For example, Apple Retail on Monday issued an advisory to its stateside brick-and-mortar shops in which it noted that further orders for many of its existing desktop SKUs would go unhonored and that stores should not expect those models to be restocked.

More specifically, the Mac maker made the remarks in respect to all four retail configurations of its all-in-one aluminum iMac line and the low-end $599 Mac mini, which sports half the memory and roughly one-third the storage capacity of its pricier cousin.

Word of the restrictions arrive on the heels of several reports from AppleInsider's indicating that the Cupertino-based company is preparing to unveil the first makeover to its iMac (1, 2) and MacBook (1, 2) product families since the 2007 and 2006 calendar years, respectively.

Given Apple's penchant for favoring its direct channels with product inventory over those of its partners, the move implies that production of the aforementioned iMac and Mac mini models has ceased completely. Up until this week, Apple retail stores have continued to facilitate sales of those models while many resellers could not.

For instance, Amazon.com, one of the company's largest authorized Mac dealers, ran out of all four iMac configurations and both Mac mini configurations earlier this month and has shown no signs that a restocking is in order.

Although the reseller continues to list availability of the four current iMac models and two Mac mini models, its website indicates that orders for those systems won't be filled from its own inventory, but from those of partners like J&R Music and Computer Word, DataVision, Techno Intelligence, and PowerMax.

While AppleInsider has been fairly vocal over the past few months regarding Apple's plans to refresh its iMac and plastic MacBook offerings, little attention has been given to the diminutive Mac mini line. That said, it has received a handful of reports to suggest those updates may be quietly accompanied by more modest refreshes to the Mac mini line consisting primarily of component and CPU upgrades.

Update: We've received some additional confirmation that the low-end Mac mini SKU has indeed been discontinued. Volume partners wishing to place orders are being told that availability should improve in the next few weeks.

For more on Apple's upcoming Mac hardware announcements see:

Apple ready and waiting with redesigned iMac line

Apple close to unveiling all-new MacBook line

Apple to retain, redesign plastic MacBook family

Apple's next iMacs rumored with compelling new features

Apple may extend antiglare display option to more Macs

Briefly: more affordable iMacs from Apple expected by fall

Apple to introduce more affordable Macs, sources say

Comments

• Reply 1 of 136
    Keeping them crossed that the mini gets a little optional Blu-Ray loving and a some cpu bumps.
  • Reply 2 of 136
    Fantastic. I've waited a few months because I figured an update was on the horizon. Supplies of the current iMacs drying up would appear to suggest it's imminent. Hoping for some good price cuts. The old models were a little too steep for the hardware inside them.
  • Reply 3 of 136
    Typical refresh signs. Can't wait to see what they have up their sleeves.
  • Reply 4 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OO9 Lives View Post

Fantastic. I've waited a few months because I figured an update was on the horizon. Supplies of the current iMacs drying up would appear to suggest it's imminent. Hoping for some good price cuts. The old models were a little too steep for the hardware inside them.

Sure was hoping that today would be the day for the announcements (and that they'd be in stock today)... need a new iMac and tho I just spent my iMac money on a new home theater system, the credit card could hold me for a month till my funds get replenished
  • Reply 5 of 136
    My brain is telling me to get the new iMac (which I'd love in a size larger than 24"), but my wallet is telling me its a no go
  • Reply 6 of 136
    but I want to say that I would have a REALLY hard time not pulling out the credit card for a mac mini with HDMI and blu ray...
  • Reply 7 of 136
    Quote:

it availability of the four current iMac models and two Mac mini models, its website indicates that orders for those systems won't be filled from its own inventory, but from those of partners like J&R Music and Computer Word, DataVision, Techno Intelligence, and PowerMax.

yes it will be, if you are willing to wait (and know how to order from Amazon)

obviously not this model but you will be able to get the new one and avoid paying sales tax and s/h.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
  • Reply 8 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Keeping them crossed that the mini gets a little optional Blu-Ray loving and a some cpu bumps.

Hopefully blood flow to your fingers won't be cut off from you holding them in that position for so long.
  • Reply 9 of 136
    The Mini was "just" updated in March after such a long time of stagnation.

I'd be very curious if this was a speedbump or an architectural change. The former would be fun (and make me feel less bad about buying a March 09 Mini). The latter would make my jaw drop.
  • Reply 10 of 136
    At one point I was debating whether to go with a newer mini or a Macbook Pro. Now I'm thinking why not both. For the cost of a larger MacBook Pro I can buy both and end up with a nice arrangement, i.e. a decent desktop and a convenient portable form factor.

I currently have a 1.83 Ghz mini with a gig of RAM. It's a decent computer but one that has a tough time handling my HD video files. Just going to around 4gigs of RAM and to the 9400M GPU would mean a significant improvement. If Apple,hopefully, comes through with a significantly more powerful CPU (even the 2.53 from the pro line would do the trick) I believe the Mini could be a machine powerful enough to handle HD which means powerful enough for my needs for many years to come. Combine that with a 13" Macbook Pro with similar capabilities and I'm where I want to be all around.
  • Reply 11 of 136
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

My brain is telling me to get the new iMac (which I'd love in a size larger than 24"), but my wallet is telling me its a no go

Listen to your brain! Gather up some stuff you can do without and get selling on ebay. Cut down on the Latte's for a few weeks, buy cheaper (and less) beer, and in no time you'll be back to normal except with a shiny new iMac. Some things can't be justified or rationalized, they just need to get done.
  • Reply 12 of 136
    Tomorrow? Please! I don't know if I can tolerate my dying Dell 2407WFP any longer!
  • Reply 13 of 136
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I currently have a 1.83 Ghz mini with a gig of RAM. It's a decent computer but one that has a tough time handling my HD video files. Just going to around 4gigs of RAM and to the 9400M GPU would mean a significant improvement. If Apple,hopefully, comes through with a significantly more powerful CPU (even the 2.53 from the pro line would do the trick) I believe the Mini could be a machine powerful enough to handle HD which means powerful enough for my needs for many years to come.

Apple isn't going to stick a Xeon processor in Mac mini. Heck, the processor's heatsink wouldn't even fit inside the mini's case.

Apple is all about "green computing" for the Mac mini: it's a low power computer.

If you're lucky, you might see the new quad-core Core i7 mobile processor (45nm technology) in the Mac mini or iMac, but if you think you're going to see a MacPro CPU in the mini, don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 14 of 136
    Matte options PLEASE dear Apple!

Large, glare prone Mac's screens are NOT pleasant to use for long.

I spend more time looking at myself and everything behind me, than what I need to be using the computer for.

For those who like reflective screens, good for you! Matte folks just want a choice of either, without having to resort to patching on some ugly piece of sh*t Dell monitor onto their Mac or some yellowing anti-glare screen.

MATTE CAN BE COOL!

LOOK! SOLD OUT AT $6000 a POP!

http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-183-ste...cbook-pro.aspx

Thank you Apple!
  • Reply 15 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gadgetoid View Post

Tomorrow? Please! I don't know if I can tolerate my dying Dell 2407WFP any longer!

I very much expect a media event for this, so I think we are looking at at least a week or 2 out.
  • Reply 16 of 136
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Matte options PLEASE dear Apple!

Large, glare prone Mac's screens are NOT pleasant to use for long.

I spend more time looking at myself and everything behind me, than what I need to be using the computer for.

Agreed. Though the glossy screen on my iMac (late '07 24") hasn't been a problem, I prefer the matte screen of the 20" Cinema display I have hooked up as a 2nd monitor. While they're at it, make a matte version of the 24" LED Cinema display as well.
  • Reply 17 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Listen to your brain! Gather up some stuff you can do without and get selling on ebay. Cut down on the Latte's for a few weeks, buy cheaper (and less) beer, and in no time you'll be back to normal except with a shiny new iMac. Some things can't be justified or rationalized, they just need to get done.

Yes I know...I have a feeling these will be a knock out as usual. I'll read articles about them, fall in love with it. Then I'll take a trip to my local Apple store and use one. Once I use one I won't have any choice but to get it.

*goes to look what the resale value is for a 3.06 GHz 24" iMac, 500 GB HD, 4GB RAM*
  • Reply 18 of 136
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

The Mini was "just" updated in March after such a long time of stagnation.

I'd be very curious if this was a speedbump or an architectural change. The former would be fun (and make me feel less bad about buying a March 09 Mini). The latter would make my jaw drop.

And here I thought I was safe buying a new mini in June since they were just updated in March. Oh well.... The only thing that would make me wish I had waited is if they add blu-ray.

Maybe they'll add audio to the DisplayPort connector on all of their computers?
  • Reply 19 of 136
    Typically, how long from these notices before an announcement is made? 1 week, 2 weeks?
  • Reply 20 of 136
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

And here I thought I was safe buying a new mini in June since they were just updated in March. Oh well.... The only thing that would make me wish I had waited is if they add blu-ray.

Maybe they'll add audio to the DisplayPort connector on all of their computers?

It would make the Mini a great HTPC. It makes an ok one now but BD-Rom would be icing on the cake and it would let me ditch one of the few Windows PC's I have left at home.