What did you get for Christmas?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, so it's a little early to post this thread, but i just got one of my presents early, and i had to tell you guys.

my sister and her husband gave me their firewire iBook!!!! :eek: :eek:

w00t!

turns out they were thinking about getting a G4 Powerbook anyway, and knew how much i've wanted a mac to work on, so they decided to give me their iBook. it's only a few months old at this point. i'm so happy i could fly!!! woo hooooo. i've wanted my own mac for forever now, but since i have no money, it's been a bit of a problem.

well, no matter what else happens tomorrow, this has got to be the best present ever!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    Wow!! Congrats!! Great gift, major props to your sister and hubby!! I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to open gifts. Truth be told, the things I really want in life are not material, so there really isn't much that someone could give me that would get me excited, so I'm not expecting much, but we'll see what happens
  • Reply 2 of 74
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    A full set of Avid Disc brakes for my bike

some biking shinguards

ski pants

and some boots (dont know where that came from)
  • Reply 3 of 74
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    CASH!

yummy

ps.They now all saved toward to my MP3 player "foundation"

[ 12-25-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 74
    My wife got an iBook-DVD too.

I got three DVDs. Blade Runner. Taxi Driver and Fargo. Fight Club was sold out. I got a mini-TV, clothes, night mask thing (lots o' light here in the city when you're trying to sleep) money, clothes, No Spin Zone book , something in the mail from my mother which hasn't come yet and I'm sure will be post marked the 27th, ummmm? clothes.

Plus my father in law gets about $200 in Outback gift certificates that he just sends over to us along with about 20 pounds of Starbucks coffee.
  • Reply 5 of 74
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I got clothes and "Obi Wan" for XBox. I also got a small gift card to the Apple Store in Salem, NH.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    my parents refuse to give me computer gifts so I got: front seat leather, a hood ornament, front bumper, and floor mats all for my XJS. Oh ya, and a sweater.
  • Reply 7 of 74
    A camera bag and money. Enough money to buy an iPod and more, but I'm waiting to see what comes out at MacWorld.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I actually had a very nice Christmas. Simple, but stuff I'll actually use...which is a first!

- coolest gift of all: the Godfather trilogy DVD collection! I didn't ASK for it, I didn't even know it EXISTED and NOBODY in my family knows how much I love those movies. My mom just said "just seemed like something you'd like...I know you like Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino"

How cool is that? All three films, plus two DVDs worth of commentary, extra footage, interviews, behind-the-scenes, etc. I'm so happy! My mom got me a gift "I couldn't refuse"!

- A cool hat with the UPS logo and #88, my favorite NASCAR driver Dale Jarrett (UPS is his primary sponsor). It actually looks very cool: brown/cream with gold trim/piping. UPS/88 logo on front, small NASCAR logo on back. Low profile, adjustable, thick weathered material, etc. A really nice hat. Been wearing it all day!

- My ex got me a really cool jacket. Kinda simple, thick weathered windbreaker kind of thing with pockets on the inside. One of those "would never think to buy it for myself but I love it!" gifts. Coolest of all? It's this cool dark green color. I've never owned anything green, so this will be a nice change and something different to wear. All the clothes I buy for myself are black, gray, orange or blue.

- Target gift card. Yahoooo! I'll spend it all tomorrow by 10am! I LOVE Target!!!

- $300 total from various family members. Deposited it into my "new iMac fund" this afternoon. That now puts me at $1450, all earmarked for a new Mac! I'll be adding more paycheck after next.

That's it. Not a stinker in the bunch. I BEGGED everyone to PLEASE not do what they usually do and just buy stuff because I'm far away and they think it "helps". I usually get so much stuff I'll never use or wear that it drives me nuts. This year, it looks like they actually listened to my pleas and I only got a few things, but every one of them I'll use and enjoy!

[ 12-25-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 74
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    -Couple of DVDs (America: tribute to heroes, Steely Dan: Two Against Nature, U2: Elevation Tour, Moon and Boeing documentaries)

- Couple of CDs ( DTS Sheryl Crow Globe Sessions, Gov't Mule, Bob Dylan- Love and Theft)

- Couple of model buildings for my trainset.

- A Dremmel

-Couple of baseball books

- Fly II, IBM Viavoice OS X, All-Star Baseball 2002 (GC)

- A Woody pull string doll

[ 12-25-2001: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 74
    Nothing and problems with my girlfriend........

Merry f*cking Christmas

The nothing part doesn't surprise me since I never get anything.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    who cares about the good stuff, I much prefer to hear about the really bad stuff people get for x-mas. My Aunts and Uncles on my dad's side of the family always manage to give some particularly bizarre presents. The fact is, they only see me once a year, and don't really know me that well, so, honestly, I appreciate the fact they try to pick something out for me, instead of just giving me a card with cash. Though every year they manage to get something very much off the mark.

I'm used to the merely mediocre gifts, but last year they were all extraordinarily off the mark. One got me a football, another got me a ny mets jersey, size XXXL, and yet another got me a die cast replica of jeff gordon's nascar.

These are interesting since I'm a faggy little art student who has always made my disinterest in sporting activities well known to everyone, and the jersey is particularly amusing since the largest size shirt I wear is a gap medium (and gap tends to run pretty big). The nascar came completely out of nowhere.

The jersey was rather nice, and an uncle on my mom's side of the family happened to like the mets and wore a XXL, so I gave it to him. I forget what happened to the football and the nascar. The rest wasn't so bad that year, mostly cash and some candy.

This year, my favorites were a card with four lotto tickets, and another card with $15 in McDonalds gift certificates. The rational for the McD's, the aunt explained, was that "they would work in any state." And I said "oh, thank you," and thought, 'well yeah, so would cash, or a gift certificate for the gap, barnes & noble, or best buy, **** I'd have settled for walmart.'

I gave both the lotto tix and McD's to my sister. I try to accept everything as graciously as possible, but often find myself at a loss for words. The funniest thing is that everyone on this side of the family is doing rather well financially, despite the current economic downturn. I just tend to get the table scraps because no one really knows me that well, or cares to take the five minutes to call my mom to ask what I might like (or, you know, what size shirt I take).

I try not to be ungrateful, I generally insist that they don't even bother with me and just focus on my sister and nephews, so I just have to wonder why they try?

any other really good bad presents? and socks don't count!

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 12 of 74
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Logitech wireless mouse (i didn't ask for wireless, but i think i'll stick with it, its not really hindering anything, and i'm far too lazy 2 take it back)

ski boots

256megs of ram (i'm up to 384 now)

a few shirts and lots of money, although i don't know what to buy, i wish i could buy an ipod, but my rev D imac lacks firewire
  • Reply 13 of 74
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    my brother got some pretty cool stuff as well.

I'm quite jealous of his MacAlly iShock 2 controller

although there aren't many mac games shock compatible and there is no OS X support yet
  • Reply 14 of 74
    I got:

Â? Nikon 3.x megapixel digital camera

Â?Â*iPod

Â? GameCube w/Rogue Leader, Waverace, and SSX Tricky, an extra controller and memory card

Â? DVDs: "South Park, Bigger, Longer, and Uncut" and "Scary Movie 2"

Â? CDs: Puddle of Mudd - Come Clean, and AFI - The Art of Drowning

Brother got:

Â? 550MHz TiBook
  • Reply 15 of 74
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    <a href="http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/photos/yoogcube.jpg"; target="_blank">http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/photos/yoogcube.jpg</a>;

Okay...the Cube wasn't a gift, and it came with Luigi's Mansion, Madden, Rogue Squadron II, a controller and memory card. I bought a second memory card and then Super Monkey Ball and Tony Hawk 3.

The other games were gifts. The 'spice' controllers were gifts from friends.

Everything else = clothes

[ 12-25-2001: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 74
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Oh man. You really cashed in man.

I got a lot of cool stuff from my parents...all that I asked for. I'm really psyched.

A pair of Grado SR80 headphones, that I decided I wanted after seeing how ugly Sennheisers are. They're in the mail and arriving (hopefully) tomorrow. My other big present was an additional desk...they don't know what to get exactly, but my current desk is kinda crowded with all of my stuff on it and there's no room for homework (but who cares about homework?).

Other stuff I got were two pairs of pants, $150 from grandparents that I think will go to the Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical and a copy of Civ 3 or Myth 3, Steven Hawking's The Universe in a Nutshell, a $15 gift certificate to the pharmacy since my parents are too lazy to buy stocking stuffers, a 4 port USB hub (Belkin), a huge baseball book which I will return in exchange for comic books, and a T-Shirt. Woohoo!

Now I'm just gonna wait until my CDRW drive arrives and I will be ready to make my iTunes playlist happily portable. If I just had an iPod...

For all of you who recieved new Macs and wads of cash, I envy you. pscates, way to save up for an iMac. $50 to go!
  • Reply 17 of 74
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I got an external 60GB HD, a Keyspan digital remote, and a few games. I also got a lot of money. The best part (ever though it wasn't actually a present) was that my grandma gave me $200 to spend on whatever I want. I'll probably wait and save $200 more and get an iPod.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    A nice set of travel cases from Magellan's was a nice surprise...and I also got a new Hewlett Packard printer from someone who heard me complaining about how my old Deskjet 850 was on its last legs. So now I have this new USB printer and an *ancient* beige G3, also on its last legs, which of course is *not* USB equipped....so I have now decided to buy myself a slightly belated Christmas present of whatever Mr Jobs presents early in January for we Mac people! G4, G5, whatever it is, I'm ordering one!
  • Reply 19 of 74
    Hey pscates...another DJ fan here

I am hoping to make it over to the Texas Motor Speedway sometime to see a race.

Anyway, I got NOTHING...but I haven't had a "normal" Christmas for a long time. I get a lot of stuff on my own. I am getting a bunch of DVDs in the coming weeks like Buffy Season 1, The Fast and the Furious, Tron remasterd, Stargate SG1 season 1, and maybe a few more.

I already have like 400 of the damn things. :cool:
  • Reply 20 of 74
    [quote]Originally posted by scadboy:

<strong>who cares about the good stuff, I much prefer to hear about the really bad stuff people get for x-mas. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh okay. For my birthday last month some friends got me a t-shirt with a large picture of my wife on it. ****ing hilarious! They didn't mean it as a joke either.

[quote]Originally posted by scadboy:

<strong>These are interesting since I'm a faggy little art student who has always made my disinterest in sporting activities well known to everyone</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe they know that and are trying to "help". They're saying, "come back to our team"