Apple takes double-digit home PC market share - study

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 74
    I switched to the Mac during the Intel transition because my PC screwed me one time too many. But I still have my PC and use it to run all the software I purchased for it.



    I could go out and buy comparable Mac software to do the job, but why? My PC and software are paid for and get the job done eventually so I use both.



    In preparation for the day when my PC dies, I bought a retail copy of Windows XP to run on my MacBook pro under boot camp. It was cheaper than re-buying my PC software on the Mac platform. I refuse to get Vista and don't believe Windows 7 will be any better.



    Besides, I was curious if a full retail copy of Windows XP would run better than the Hewlett Packard adware laden disc image copy that came with my HP PC. The result? Only four blue screens of death in the past three months. A marked improvement.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post


    I switched to the Mac during the Intel transition because my PC screwed me one time too many. But I still have my PC and use it to run all the software I purchased for it.



    I could go out and buy comparable Mac software to do the job, but why? My PC and software are paid for and get the job done eventually so I use both.



    In preparation for the day when my PC dies, I bought a retail copy of Windows XP to run on my MacBook pro under boot camp. It was cheaper than re-buying my PC software on the Mac platform. I refuse to get Vista and don't believe Windows 7 will be any better.



    Besides, I was curious if a full retail copy of Windows XP would run better than the Hewlett Packard adware laden disc image copy that came with my HP PC. The result? Only four blue screens of death in the past three months. A marked improvement.



    Could have saved you the purchase of XP. Get Parallels 4. It will TRANSPORT your PC with OS and all apps into a virtual machine that runs inside OS X (you can go full screen if you want for the full experience). So no need to purchase XP... It transfers everything over... Be exactly like turning your PC on inside your Mac (seriously).
  • Reply 23 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    It's not hear hear, it's here here!



    It's a common mistake found on the internet, but it is actually Hear Hear! not here here! it's originated from the british parliament Hear him, Hear him!
  • Reply 24 of 74
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    i'll probably buy a Mac once my kid turns 3 or 4. probably the best way to teach him UNIX and computers in general. i can buy a dell and put a virtual version of Ubuntu or Red Crap, but i prefer something usable
  • Reply 25 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post


    I take away from the article that Mac users consume more electronic goods than PC users... So...



    maybe you could pay attention to the article. It clearly states the fact that most Mac owner make more money than the average household. People with more money buy more stuff. It's a pretty simple concept. I'm sure if they would have asked, they would have found out that Mac users had bigger houses, owned more expensive cars, had more furniture, owned more clothes, etc. because that's what having more money allows you to do. It has no relation to the fact that they're Mac users or not.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    apple has well over 10 percent since mac's never die

    never

    ever

    they get passed on

    and on

    even a feeble beaten up dv imac 1999 special can still stream hulu

    and on the final days of a mac's event filled life

    fish geeks ➤

    swoop in and convert the mac to a fish tank



    peace

    9









    i need a life





    How true. At the last count, I had 19 functioning Apples in the house (including a FrankenMac made up from parts of my original Performa 475 and an abandoned Centris 610). This doesn't take into account the 10 or so that I have "farmed out" to various nephews, nieces, neighbor kids, friends, my Mother-in-law (82 and all over iChat and Google), etc. or the "parts" machines. As folks get used to using an Apple, they eventually want a brand new one of their own, so the deal is that when they are done with the "loaner", they send it back and I'lI just keep recirculating the machines until they totally crap out, and there is nothing left to use. So far, I haven't had to scrap a single machine.





    I have one Sony Viao that I bought at the same time I bought my original MacBook Pro. I have it for the same reason I keep one OS 9 bootable machine; there may be some random thing that pops up that I need to use it for, but most of the time it just sits there. I keep thinking that someday I'll see if I can get Ubuntu to run on it, but for the most part, I'm just not that interested in it.



    I need to get a life, too. Someday, I'll have to learn to sell parts and stuff on eBay. Right now, I'm not that interested in that either.



    However, while on vacation, I did spot a Hamm's Beer Blue 1932 Ford Coupe for sale. It made me think a little bit about what I'm going to do after I run out of nephews and nieces...
  • Reply 27 of 74
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post


    maybe you could pay attention to the article. It clearly states the fact that most Mac owner make more money than the average household. People with more money buy more stuff. It's a pretty simple concept. I'm sure if they would have asked, they would have found out that Mac users had bigger houses, owned more expensive cars, had more furniture, owned more clothes, etc. because that's what having more money allows you to do. It has no relation to the fact that they're Mac users or not.



    There is a middle ground too. Income definitely plays a role, but all mac users choose to be mac users. Not all windows users choose to be windows users, some just want a cheap computer. If things like an operating system matter to you, your computer is probably a big part of your life and not just a tool for checking facebook, and you probably have an interest in other consumer electronics as well.
  • Reply 28 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    It's not hear hear, it's here here!



    You're wrong about that one.....
  • Reply 29 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Call me they have a 10% share of global home computers - i.e. never.



    The fact that they don't hit double digits worldwide any time soon is actually great for me as a shareholder. That's more room for market share- ergo revenue- ergo profit- ergo share price-growth.



    And, as a consumer, my ability to use a Mac and derive enjoyment from it does not seem to have suffered at all (either at home or at work) because Apple has a low global share.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Everyone seems to assume that switchers just toss their old PC's in the closet and never see them again. I can tell you that's probably the least likely scenario except possibly in a single PC household that doesn't have a lot of software base for their PC.



    I'm in the process of replacing all of my household PC's with Macs, but it's not as simple as just turning off the old as you get the new ones in. For one thing, many homes have multiple PC's. Replacing them all in one feel swoop just isn't feasible for most people. Your talking many thousands of dollars if you have 4 or 5 to PC's to replace (although I'm replacing them as quickly as I can..lol).



    There are also apps to consider. I have software which is PC centric that will require re-investment or time to find equivalent Mac versions. I converted a little over a year ago, and I've gotten to the point where the remaining apps are no longer a barrier to replace the last few PC's. It's only a matter of cost at this point.



    I suspect a lot of switchers are in the same process that I'm almost done with.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    You're wrong about that one.....



    You never clicked my link, I have proof.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    The fact that they don't hit double digits worldwide any time soon is actually great for me as a shareholder. That's more room for market share- ergo revenue- ergo profit- ergo share price-growth.



    And, as a consumer, my ability to use a Mac and derive enjoyment from it does not seem to have suffered at all (either at home or at work) because Apple has a low global share.



    If they had a .0001% share you'd suffer though. Getting up to that 10% would only make the Mac more pervasive, which would be a good thing for Mac users.



    And yes, I am aware if you grow slower you have more "room" for growth in the future LOL.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post




    Every Intel Mac user on that list is also a PC owner... So was that taken into account?





    I honestly hope that you're just having fun with words and not just braindead as I'm sure that you recognize that PC stands for "personal computer", even those made at Apple ! It's just for convenience sake that pc generally refers to windoze.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gunnerrob2 View Post


    It's a common mistake found on the internet, but it is actually Hear Hear! not here here! it's originated from the british parliament Hear him, Hear him!



    Why is it people comment without reading the lengthy article on the matter (my link) recently written at Harvard. It is far more complex than you think. The old rules aren't right, they also had multiple origins.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post


    maybe you could pay attention to the article. It clearly states the fact that most Mac owner make more money than the average household. .



    Sorry, but it does not "clearly state the fact that most Mac owner make more money than the average household." It does, however, state: "Thirty-six percent of Apple computer owners reported household incomes greater than $100,000, compared to 21 percent of all consumers." This means that 64% earn less than 100 Gs ... so what? A more revealing and ACCURATE fact might have been: What is the average income of all Mac users, and of all PC users. While I might SUSPECT that Mac users are higher income people, this "survey" certainly does nothing to prove or disprove this.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    "Multiple computer ownership is a common thread in Apple computer households, with 66 percent of households owning three or more computers, compared to just 29 percent of Windows PC households," the company said. "Apple owning households are decidedly more mobile as well, with 72 percent of them owning a notebook, whereas only 50 percent of households that have a Windows PC own a notebook."



    You know why we own more is because we never throw are OLD macs away, they just keep on working! I have a 867 G4/ 2.5 Quad G5/Macbook Pro (using 23" screen from G5) & iMac 24" 3.06.



    P.S. It will be a cold day in hell before I own another windows based PC/laptop/smartphone/PMP/Tablet!
  • Reply 37 of 74
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Call me they have a 10% share of global home computers - i.e. never.



    Which company has more than 10% of global home computers?
  • Reply 38 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post


    Which company has more than 10% of global home computers?



    That's a trick question. Having a bigger presence means better software selection, and better OS support via third parties. Meaning the OS, not the hardware.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post


    maybe you could pay attention to the article. It clearly states the fact that most Mac owner make more money than the average household. People with more money buy more stuff. It's a pretty simple concept. I'm sure if they would have asked, they would have found out that Mac users had bigger houses, owned more expensive cars, had more furniture, owned more clothes, etc. because that's what having more money allows you to do. It has no relation to the fact that they're Mac users or not.



    Sarcasm... Sarcasm... Just poking at the article... Didn't think anything of it.



    I've seen polls show Republicans are more evil and likely to steal or commit a crime too. Don't believe what you read on the web.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post


    I honestly hope that you're just having fun with words and not just braindead as I'm sure that you recognize that PC stands for "personal computer", even those made at Apple ! It's just for convenience sake that pc generally refers to windoze.



    Yes and it is fun isn't it. Since Apple (Steve Wozniac) invented the Personal Computer...
Sign In or Register to comment.