Apple takes double-digit home PC market share - study

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

maybe you could pay attention to the article. It clearly states the fact that most Mac owner make more money than the average household. People with more money buy more stuff. It's a pretty simple concept. I'm sure if they would have asked, they would have found out that Mac users had bigger houses, owned more expensive cars, had more furniture, owned more clothes, etc. because that's what having more money allows you to do. It has no relation to the fact that they're Mac users or not.

Actually, its because they own and use Macs that the make all that money and can afford to buy the rest. This is the marketing message that Apple is overlooking
  • Reply 42 of 74
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Yes and it is fun isn't it. Since Apple (Steve Wozniac) invented the Personal Computer...

Not according to this: The Man Who Invented the PC

BY LAMONT WOOD

When I tell them I invented the personal computer, people look at me like I just stepped off a flying saucer,? says Jack Frassanito, an industrial designer in Houston, Texas. He did invent it, though. His name is on a patent, issued July 25, 1972, for a machine that is the direct lineal ancestor of the PC as we know it.

Forget Apple and IBM. For that matter, forget Silicon Valley. The first personal computer?a self-contained unit with its own processor, display, keyboard, internal memory, and mass storage of data?was born in San Antonio, Texas.

That reads ... July 25, 1972.
  • Reply 43 of 74
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I honestly hope that you're just having fun with words and not just braindead as I'm sure that you recognize that PC stands for "personal computer", even those made at Apple ! It's just for convenience sake that pc generally refers to windoze.

If referring to Windows if braindead, what does that make the Mac ads that says "hi I'm a Mac and I'm a PC"?
  • Reply 44 of 74
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    I feel I've done my part here. In the past 5 months I've converted both my mother-in-law and my own parents over to Macs. Got the mother-in-law setup with an iMac back in May, and my parents with a Mac Mini just a few weeks ago. My brother-in-law has already told me that as soon as AutoDesk releases AutoCad for OSX he's buying a new Mac too.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I am endlessly forced into bootcamping Windows every time someone sends me a Word or Excel document.

I find VMWare just too slow, unstable and RAM hungry ( my Mac basically dies ).

I think Apple made a mistake in starting iWork as a set of alternative document formats. They should have made iWork a superior skin for the world-standard for documents and spreadsheets, making life super-easy for switchers and encouraging it as an open standard, and built from there.

Sadly, I just can't live without PC.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    hi PXT,

I am interested in learning the reasons why you think that you need to boot camping every time someone sends you a Word or Excel document.

like most of us, i also work in a Word and Excel environment but went completely free of Microsoft Office for about a year now.

i set all Office documents to automatically open using their iWork counterpart.

there are some formatting issues but relatively minor ones.

i never have issues when i open Word documents in Pages.

sometimes there are some minor problems when i use a complicated and beautiful format that just doesnt work in Word or Powerpoint, but never the reverse.

apple has done a great job of making it painless to not even consider needing Office the next time it comes out anew.

just trying to understand what issues you are talking about.

thanks
  • Reply 47 of 74
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I am endlessly forced into bootcamping Windows every time someone sends me a Word or Excel document.

I think Apple made a mistake in starting iWork as a set of alternative document formats. They should have made iWork a superior skin for the world-standard for documents and spreadsheets, making life super-easy for switchers and encouraging it as an open standard, and built from there.

I'm one of the 85% who also has a PC, but it's an 8 year old single core AthlonXP and only gets used a few times per year. Now that I have an Intel Mac the Athlon's days are numbered.

I've recently loaded VirtualBox on my Mac mini and installed XP Pro. So far I have no real complaints about performance.
  • Reply 48 of 74
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You never clicked my link, I have proof.

I don't need "proof", I have The American Standard Usage Guide.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Apple seriously needs to make sure I don't have to bother using Windows. Why use two Operating Systems when one will do? The folly of computing

Because there is software not available for the Mac
  • Reply 50 of 74
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

If referring to Windows if braindead, what does that make the Mac ads that says "hi I'm a Mac and I'm a PC"?

Read the original post ... referring to Windows is NOT what makes it a braindead comment. If you're having comprehension issues come on back and I'll break it down for you.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,752member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

I, for one, just don't understand all of the Linux push. The only Linux has over MacOSX or Windows is that it's free...

If you're a tinkerer, then a Linux box is the way to go. There are no limits whatsoever in what you can do with it if you have the desire. I have a Linux box in my basement which is essentially the heart of my entire home network. I've listed the multitude of tasks it performs in this forum many times, so I won't bother again. But suffice to say that it's much more flexible than an Xserve at about 1/4 the cost.

However, for just getting the job done without any hassle, a Mac is the way to go in the long run. Much less work to maintain.

So each OS has it's place if you take the time to understand the strengths and weaknesses.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Try OpenOffice. It's free and very capable with Office formats. You can also buy Office for Mac if the free version bothers you that much.

I have to agree with the others. Virtual software is fine for Day to Day use of PC applications. I use a Virtual Machine for my actual work machine, IP Phone and all, without any performance issues. A virtual PC only needs 512 MB for XP, and a GB for Vista or Windows 7. Unless your using a bottom of the barrel Mini with only a GB, I find it hard to believe you've ever used Virtual software as even a modest Mac would be able to run them capably enough.

For games, I still have to use Boot Camp if they don't offer a Mac Compatible version. The 3-D performance of newer games does strain Virtual software.
  • Reply 53 of 74
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    My house is MS-free.

Haven't had any need for a PC since late 2005. Haven't had windows installed via Bootcamp for nearly 1.5 years. iWork handles all the MS formats thrown at me and does a damn good job of it, too.

We have an Acer notebook in the house as well. The moment it arrived I installed Ubuntu on it.

To me, Windows is a gaming OS. And an enterprise OS gone horribly, horribly wrong in the consumer market. I've stoped regular gaming a long time ago.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

"though nearly all Mac owners also have a Windows PC in their home"

I wonder what they mean by "nearly all." I suppose switchers fall in that category unless they promptly throw away their old PC. Supporting both OSes in one household has to be the worst of both worlds. I'm glad I've never owned a Windows PC (although I use one every day at work).

I would like to know if they counted a Mac with Windows either as Boot Camp or virtual machine as a "Windows PC" or the count included old antiquated hardware they kept aorund simple because nothing could run it anymore
  • Reply 55 of 74
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Apple seriously needs to make sure I don't have to bother using Windows. Why use two Operating Systems when one will do? The folly of computing

Sadly, Apple cannot prevent developers from making choices that effectively lock the programs they make into one OS. You can provide all the cross platform tool in the world but as long as you have clueless developers taking the "easy" way out you are still going to get Windows only programs...that often as not have problems every blasted time Windows does an update.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Not according to this: The Man Who Invented the PC

BY LAMONT WOOD

When I tell them I invented the personal computer, people look at me like I just stepped off a flying saucer,? says Jack Frassanito, an industrial designer in Houston, Texas. He did invent it, though. His name is on a patent, issued July 25, 1972, for a machine that is the direct lineal ancestor of the PC as we know it.

Forget Apple and IBM. For that matter, forget Silicon Valley. The first personal computer?a self-contained unit with its own processor, display, keyboard, internal memory, and mass storage of data?was born in San Antonio, Texas.

That reads ... July 25, 1972.

My book is written differently and since I was 6 clearly states it was Woz

• Reply 57 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Try OpenOffice. It's free and very capable with Office formats. You can also buy Office for Mac if the free version bothers you that much.

I have to agree with the others. Virtual software is fine for Day to Day use of PC applications. I use a Virtual Machine for my actual work machine, IP Phone and all, without any performance issues. A virtual PC only needs 512 MB for XP, and a GB for Vista or Windows 7. Unless your using a bottom of the barrel Mini with only a GB, I find it hard to believe you've ever used Virtual software as even a modest Mac would be able to run them capably enough.

For games, I still have to use Boot Camp if they don't offer a Mac Compatible version. The 3-D performance of newer games does strain Virtual software.

VirtualBox from Sun is free and on OS X 10.5/10.6 uses less than 80mb of ram for itself. It also has DX9 and 3D enhancements. Since version 2 it's been awsome, 3 is a cake topper in my book. Not sure on gaming, I don't do it.

To be fair I run Parallels and VB and I absolutely without a doubt hate VMWare. It's a HOG, slow, dated, and useless on a Mac. Integration between the Host (OS X) and the Appliance (Windows,Linux, ??) on P or VB is far superior to VMware.

But to each their own. Some love it and I won't disagree with your view. It's just my opinion to never use it on a Mac (and I have ver 1.1 and 2.0)... Running it on a win server or using the Visor... Different story.

MacMall is moving VMWare 1.0 with free 2.0 upgrade for $16 if anyone's interested.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

"though nearly all Mac owners also have a Windows PC in their home"

I wonder what they mean by "nearly all." I suppose switchers fall in that category unless they promptly throw away their old PC. Supporting both OSes in one household has to be the worst of both worlds. I'm glad I've never owned a Windows PC (although I use one every day at work).

exactly what I was thinking, there's a lot of switchers in that category ! Switchers of the world unite and take over
  • Reply 59 of 74
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

VirtualBox from Sun is free and on OS X 10.5/10.6 uses less than 80mb of ram for itself. It also has DX9 and 3D enhancements. Since version 2 it's been awsome, 3 is a cake topper in my book. Not sure on gaming, I don't do it.

To be fair I run Parallels and VB and I absolutely without a doubt hate VMWare. It's a HOG, slow, dated, and useless on a Mac. Integration between the Host (OS X) and the Appliance (Windows,Linux, ??) on P or VB is far superior to VMware.

But to each their own. Some love it and I won't disagree with your view. It's just my opinion to never use it on a Mac (and I have ver 1.1 and 2.0)... Running it on a win server or using the Visor... Different story.

MacMall is moving VMWare 1.0 with free 2.0 upgrade for $16 if anyone's interested.

Actually I checked out Parallels, but it choked on the IP Phone for some reason. It was unusable. That is the only reason I went with VMWare. Other than that it was capable enough.
  • Reply 60 of 74
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    I have a Mac but when it came to getting a 2nd computer for the family, a PC made sense. At $500 it was about half the price of what I spent on my Mac. It does everything I need it to - email, browse, Source Insight. It even does a better job with Word and Excel. Having a Mac and PC has worked out well for our family for year.