Mossberg: Windows 7 narrows the gap with Apple's Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 81 of 465
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post

Those annoying warnings are still there. I got freaking stopped and asked if I was sure I wanted to trust Adobe when installing flash. I downloaded Packet Tracer from Cisco's website, and when I tried to install the program Windows 7, for some reason, won't recognized the .exe file as valid. If I can't run Packet Tracer, Windows 7 is freaking worthless. The only reason why I'm keeping it on my MacBook Pro is so that if someone I know calls me with an issue, I can research it on my end without having to drive to their house.

First of all, OS X also warns you when you first open a file downloaded from the Internet. The warning Win7 gives is fairly sensible and can easily be disabled (there is even a convenient link from the message itself, unlike in OS X I might add, so you don't "have to hunt down the settings")

Considering about 90% of mac users have to use a PC as well, for various reasons, Win7 is a significant and important release. I have to use Windows at work, I choose to use it at home for gaming... Win7 is streets ahead of XP, which is now a liability and much more efficient than Vista, not to mention nicer to use.

I've been using Win7 for almost all of this year and while it won't convince me to sell my Mac, I'm very happy it's pretty good.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

My children run Windows 7 now, they really like it and my support has really gone down. The only thing I don't like is that there is no upgrade path from XP.

Yes there is. Although you will have to do a clean install (sounds like that doesn't matter, you're already running it) you get the upgrade price if you have a valid version of XP.

Now if the fanbois want to bitch about something, bitch about the cost, because MS doesn't seem to have figured this out properly.
  • Reply 82 of 465
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The Dock came from NeXT, and predates the Taskbar by several years.

Ok then - who uses NEXT?
  • Reply 83 of 465
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Doubtful. Corporations don't buy a new OS for fancy features, they need much more of a compelling reason. A lot of companies use custom software apps to run their business, and if their program won't run on Win7, they have no reason to upgrade. Also, most of their hardware are cheap PC's that won't run Win7.

While at work, you don't use any of the features of the OS, you are only running the software programs to do your work. Companies don't risk incompatibilities just because a new OS came out.

But XP is a dinosaur now and upgrading will help the US Economy- create many new jobs.
  • Reply 84 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

At the risk of being snowed under with vitriol, can I ask a simple question:

What's wrong with the registry? Surely it's just a meta collection of .plist files in a single database, rather than scattered to the 4 winds?

Before you beat the shit out of me, I run nearly every OS known to modern man, and prefer my Mac to most, but will admit under pain of waterboarding to be a Solaris man at heart...

Under pain of waterboarding you will admit to anything, jackass.
  • Reply 85 of 465
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

First of all, OS X also warns you when you first open a file downloaded from the Internet. The warning Win7 gives is fairly sensible and can easily be disabled (there is even a convenient link from the message itself, unlike in OS X I might add, so you don't "have to hunt down the settings".

Considering about 90% of mac users have to use a PC as well, for various reasons, Win7 is a significant and important release. I have to use Windows at work, I choose to use it at home for gaming... Win7 is streets ahead of XP, which is now a liability and much more efficient than Vista, not to mention nicer to use.

I've been using Win7 for almost all of this year and while it won't convince me to sell my Mac, I'm very happy it's pretty good.

User account control can't be set with exceptions (ie. don't ask me when I open this program) as far as I know. It is basically on or off, which in my opinion, isn't good for a security solution as some users will get annoyed and turn it off completely. BUT you can choose whether or not the screen goes grey when the user account control dialog box pops up.

User account control is the thing I hate the most with Windows Vista/7.
  • Reply 86 of 465
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In his August review of Snow Leopard, Apple's latest operating system upgrade, Mossberg said the upgrade is a decent improvement, but not a "must-have upgrade." He said the $29 product is priced accordingly, because Mac OS X 10.6 is not a "typical Apple lust-provoking product."

Mossberg seems to be completely missing the point of SL. No, maybe it's not a, "typical Apple lust-provoking product," because it isn't packed full of fun new user features, but it is packed full of fun new developer features, and lays a very strong foundation for Mac OS X to continue to develop as a platform. Windows 7, although apparently a huge improvement in user experience over Vista (from all reports, no hands on myself), is, by all accounts, no great technological advancement, but a minor evolution built on the same old crufty code base.

That and his reported comments on Vista at its introduction cast some doubt on his authority in these matters, even if he is generally fairly pro-apple.
  • Reply 87 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

That's not the upgrade pricing you are talking about - that's the full version.

119.99 for home premium ugrade

199.99 for pro upgrade

219.99 for ultimate upgrade

I agree that their pricing is too high, but the only things missing from the home version are xp emulation, bitlocker (hard drive compression and encryption) on the fly language switching and some networking features mostly relevant to corporate networks.

Most of that pre-installed software is installed by pc manufacturers, it's not on the retail win disks. McAfee is easy to uninstall if you don't want it.

They have been selling pre-order home premium win 7 upgrades for $50 even before apple announced $29 for snow leopard. And they are selling $30 student copies. Upgrade copies also apply to XP an almost 9 year old OS. Not too shabby.
  • Reply 88 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

THANK YOU. i'm an apple fanboy too, but i'm not an idiot. Windows 7 is good. my shares of AAPL are nervous that several switchers will switch back. MSFT will make a killing on win7 because every corporation in the world that's still on XP will upgrade, and that's a shit-ton of corporations.

Nobody switches 'back' to Win from Mac. I know 16 people who went Win -> Mac, know of nobody going the other way. What Win 7 might do is stem the tide of new switchers which is a major contribution to new mac sales.

Win 7 looks good, by comparison with where it's coming from (i.e. Vista). Indeed, were it not for OS X, we might think Win 7 was very good indeed. Apple have been very clever with Snow Leopard - 10.6 was used as an opportunity to trim the code base, address deficiencies and legacy issues and lay architectural groundwork for 10.7 and beyond. GCD, 64 bit and other improvements in the core make the next great leap forward much easier for Apple. What is most impressive is the shared core between all the device platforms Mac desktop, laptop, server, aTV, iPhone and iPod Touch.

That's where the relentless progress of Apple and OS X is coming from.

And Microsoft's lack of a credible unified platform will continue to allow Apple to grow for the next decade.
  • Reply 89 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

nice to read reviews from people which are probably in microsoft's payroll

also how is this apple news?

people that compare snow leopard to windows 7 are angry pc users which have never owned / operated a mac and have no idea of what they're talking about, and were paid big amounts of money to write good reviews, like this mossberg character

I'd keep your head down for a while if i were you
  • Reply 90 of 465
    cdyatescdyates Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wvdirk View Post

Under pain of waterboarding you will admit to anything, jackass.

I don't think he meant it literally, jackass.
  • Reply 91 of 465
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:

Doubtful. Corporations don't buy a new OS for fancy features, they need much more of a compelling reason.

The compelling reason will be MS withdrawing support for XP.
  • Reply 92 of 465
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Ok then - who uses NEXT?

Everyone who is using OS X. (Plus probably a few holdouts still running the old OS on old hardware.)
  • Reply 93 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

You don't understand User Account Control at all. It asks you every single time you open some programs, and you can't tell it to not ask you again. If the prompts get too annoying, you have to turn it completely off.

That's because some programs are written incorrectly and want admin access in order to run. Those developers of those apps need to address that.
  • Reply 94 of 465
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Walt Mossberg is just the latest reviewer to praise Windows 7. But the biggest threat to Apple comes from its unwillingness to offer desktop computers with a Nehalem quad-core desktop CPU, a Blu-Ray drive and monitor for less than $1,000.

Unless Apple offers competitive computers with competitive features at a competitive price, Macs don't stand much of a chance against full featured Windows 7 computer desktops from HP or Dell. That's not to mention the upcoming flood of affordable, new netbooks which compare favourably with traditional notebooks.

The greed of Steve Jobs will be the demise of Apple.

\\\

Wow you are full of shit. Which company is selling more computers than ever, even during a recession? Not Dell, HP, or other PC companies that make piece of shit cheap computers. Netbooks are also pieces of shit too, but if you are so hung up on price, then go buy one of those cheap computers. No one is stopping you.
  • Reply 95 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post

How the hell is an .exe file "not a valid win32 application?"

Um... because you started downloading something within Firefox and did not let it finish. Of course its going to give you that warning, because you don't have the complete file!

Spend more time actually learning how to use the computer, instead of trying to insight FUD.
  • Reply 96 of 465
    When all is said and done, Windows 7 is a welcome competition to Apple, they do need a little push in that department.
  • Reply 97 of 465
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I wonder if Windows 7 has flash problems like OSX?

The Windows Flash plug-in vastly superior to the one on OS X.

/puts on tinfoil hat
  • Reply 98 of 465
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Instead of spending time on the tablet, Apple should:

Stop right there.

Apple needs to put most of its attention on this tablet, and the all-new Mac OS X touch OS. Which they likely are. They furthermore though need to take a leaf out of the Google playbook by making Mobile me completely free. They need to beef up the feature set it offers, and use that to help sell hardware. Also, they need to start bundling iWork with all new Macs (and bundle it as part of the OS), the full version, for free. All these factors would make the Mac far more appealing over night. Then then can move more Macs and get back to doing some real innovation behind the stage curtain.

Oh and the need to consider making a real mouse.
  • Reply 99 of 465
    Quote:

Wow you are full of shit. Which company is selling more computers than ever, even during a recession? Not Dell, HP, or other PC companies that make piece of shit cheap computers. Netbooks are also pieces of shit too, but if you are so hung up on price, then go buy one of those cheap computers. No one is stopping you.

I'm actually in the market to buy a very comparable Windows 7 laptop for my mother for about $700. For what she gets (Core 2 Duo, nVidia 9400m, etc), she's getting an amazing computer with an operating system she's familiar with. At the same time, I don't have to worry about random crashes or glitches, and seeing as she'll rarely go online, viruses.

To her, a PC is the perfect choice. The mac, however, would require trying to retrain her on every little detail about it, answering questions like "Where is the start menu?"
  • Reply 100 of 465
    Quote:

You do know that macs use the same parts right? Just because they cost more doesn't mean the internals are any different.

Last I checked mac market share is pretty low. The vast majority of mac users still run a windows computer.