Mossberg: Windows 7 narrows the gap with Apple's Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 121 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I know most won't agree with me on this but IMO it's just not fair to refer to these guys as biased when they are among the few that are going out of their way not to be.

Whether or not they can be proven bias, you can't call yourself a respectable tech journalist for the New York Times and do musical videos singing "I want my iPhone!!"

Sure, you can't *prove* anything, but there shouldn't even be a clout of suspicion to begin with. If a majority of people so much as think you're bias, its time to hire someone else to preserve your integrity.
  • Reply 122 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Would I consider switching to Windows 7? No. I use it for work only because I have to, or for gaming on those few Windows games I can't get on a Mac, but calling it shitty for no reason other than the fact that it's Windows is disingenuous. As MS products go, it's not bad.

That's been my attitude about it. There's nothing in Windows 7 that's going to compel a mac user to switch back, but if you choose to (or have to) work on a Windows PC, you're going to pray its nothing short of Windows 7. Its at least refreshing to work on a PC box that you know is going to get the job done without hassle.
  • Reply 123 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

As someone who bounces between XP, Vista and my personal Windows 7 machine on a daily basis can tell you that Windows 7 is *FAR* better than Vista ever has been. Even fully updated, Vista continues to grind on modern hardware. Its menu system is still cluttered, performance is still sub-par, and you don't have all the taskbar and preview options that are found in Windows 7. Not to mention the security tweaks, including the revamped UAC which is much less annoying and just as protective.

Its more than hype, and if you sat down and compared the two over a period of time, you'd notice the difference.

Maybe I was just lucky, the computer I got for my parents performs very well. It is a brand-name PC that came with Vista preinstalled. They had no security or stability problems in almost 2 years (no A/V installed). I see no reason to upgrade to 7.

Anyway, I think that from the performance point of view, if a machine runst Vista poorly, it will also run 7 pretty badly.
  • Reply 124 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azcodemonkey View Post

What? Have you used 7? I'm running the 64-bit version and that thing is as smooth as butter.

Spaces stolen from Apple... LMAO Virtual desktops predate Apple by quite a few years. They'd be stealing a Xerox/*nix idea, not Apple. And to be honest, I've yet to use spaces consistently. It's a useless feature with Exposé, IMHO. Same goes for Windows, and I have used 3rd party VDMs only to return to alt-tab.

I will concede that the registry needs to make an exit, but don't hold your breath. Windows is all about backward compatibility.

yes...i have used it, but then decided to switch to mac and of course will never go back

try using windows 7 in a core 2 quad, with 4 gb of ram, and snow leopard in a core 2 duo with 2 gb of ram ... and tell me the difference...

windows should be free...because it's garbage...although...who'd pay for garbage?

angry pc users can switch to linux (fedora is great) if they can't afford a mac...but windows is a POS...
  • Reply 125 of 465
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    Maybe it was because it was on Fox, which prominently displays Apple laptops in front of its anchors, but I saw the last part of a Mossberg interview on the Fox Business Network about 2 hours ago and he was mentioning that Windows 7 will not import your programs when you upgraded, you'll have to resinstall them from CDs, then apply all the patches
  • Reply 126 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I guess you have never heard of NeXTStep, which existed years before the task bar appeared in Windows 95. Mac OS X is a re-write of NeXTStep, which included the Dock.

Actually next didn't invent the dock either. It was in OS/2 first back in 1992. And stardock has created one around the same time.
  • Reply 126 of 465
    hankx32hankx32 Posts: 121member
    I don't think Apple will have to do any "scrammbling" now that there competitors operating system sucks a little bit less.
  • Reply 128 of 465
    Quote:

Apple needs to put most of its attention on this tablet, and the all-new Mac OS X touch OS. Which they likely are. They furthermore though need to take a leaf out of the Google playbook by making Mobile me completely free. They need to beef up the feature set it offers, and use that to help sell hardware. Also, they need to start bundling iWork with all new Macs (and bundle it as part of the OS), the full version, for free. All these factors would make the Mac far more appealing over night. Then then can move more Macs and get back to doing some real innovation behind the stage curtain.

Now, more than ever...it seems the 'tablet' could be the future salvation of the Mac platform. Now more than ever, they must focus on it.

I think it's going to be part of the end game.

Vista, 7...copy, after copy...following, stalking the Mac OS X's footsteps...playing catch up. Innovation? Where? We've had Tiger and Leopard for years. Now they have 7? Wh-oo-p.

Where Apple goes next, M$ will not be able to follow.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 129 of 465
    Quote:

I'm actually in the market to buy a very comparable Windows 7 laptop for my mother for about $700. For what she gets (Core 2 Duo, nVidia 9400m, etc), she's getting an amazing computer with an operating system she's familiar with. At the same time, I don't have to worry about random crashes or glitches, and seeing as she'll rarely go online, viruses.

To her, a PC is the perfect choice. The mac, however, would require trying to retrain her on every little detail about it, answering questions like "Where is the start menu?"

I bought my mother her first Macbook this past spring and I was worried about the constant support I would have to provide. I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly and easily she picked everything up. She said she's actually less afraid to try something on her Macbook than she did on her old PC.

So far, the only question she had was iPhoto was missing from her dock and she thought she broke something because it was there before. Apparently it was easy for her to accidentally drag it off the dock and not realize it. She was nervous about "poking" around and didn't want to go into her Applications folder. She's fine now and can probably show me a thing or two on the Mac.
  • Reply 130 of 465
    50 Million Touches/iPhones. (Mini Macs.)

25-30 Million installed based of Macs.

Let's called it 80 million 'Macs' and counting.

And the tablet will only add to the 'Halo'.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 131 of 465
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

H

If there are certain applications you would like at startup that require administrator access, you can always set a task that will launch the application with any parameters as an administrator WITHOUT triggering UAC.

That would be very useful to me, but I don't know how to do that

I did notice that user account control comes up less often than it did when I tried vista. Startup is the most annoying, so if I could fix that, I would be happy.
  • Reply 132 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ediedi View Post

Maybe I was just lucky, the computer I got for my parents performs very well. It is a brand-name PC that came with Vista preinstalled. They had no security or stability problems in almost 2 years (no A/V installed). I see no reason to upgrade to 7.

Anyway, I think that from the performance point of view, if a machine runst Vista poorly, it will also run 7 pretty badly.

Also incorrect. Recently, I had to reformat a dying Dell Dimention 2400 with 1GB of ram running Windows XP. As a test, I decided to grab my copy of Windows Vista and Windows 7 RC. First Vista - the hard drive never stopped churning for nearly three hours. Even with the indexing service turned off, the computer was almost completely unresponsive, taking ages to do just a simple update. After that failed experiment, I decided to run Windows 7 the following day. The difference was black and white. Windows 7, though still not as responsive as a modern computer, ran well enough for me to be happy. It runs quietly, as clean and pristine as any other computer I've run it on.

I suppose its a matter of being spoiled. If you're used to Vista and can live with it, the difference isn't automatically apparent. But try using it for a few months, then switch back to Vista. You'll immediately see what I, and everyone else, is talking about.
  • Reply 133 of 465
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I know this is the "common wisdom" (that Mossberg is pro-Apple), but I personally have never seen evidence of it.

Get out.
  • Reply 134 of 465
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

50 Million Touches/iPhones. (Mini Macs.)

25-30 Million installed based of Macs.

Let's called it 80 million 'Macs' and counting.

Let's not go that far.
  • Reply 135 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

Maybe it was because it was on Fox, which prominently displays Apple laptops in front of its anchors, but I saw the last part of a Mossberg interview on the Fox Business Network about 2 hours ago and he was mentioning that Windows 7 will not import your programs when you upgraded, you'll have to resinstall them from CDs, then apply all the patches

First of all, *most* people will get upgraded to Windows 7 when they buy a new PC, so they'll have to reinstall their applications anyway. And what about if you want to reformat your computer from scratch? Don't you have to reinstall all your applications as well?

These factors are true of *ANY* PC, whether its Windows or Mac. The amount of people who upgrade from a disk is a very minimal amount of Windows users, around 1%, and of those, only XP users will have to reinstall - Vista users can do an in-place upgrade even if its not recommended.

So its a moot argument.
  • Reply 136 of 465
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

THANK YOU. i'm an apple fanboy too, but i'm not an idiot. Windows 7 is good. my shares of AAPL are nervous that several switchers will switch back. MSFT will make a killing on win7 because every corporation in the world that's still on XP will upgrade, and that's a shit-ton of corporations.

Some people here forget that MS biggest problem right now is XP not Mac OS. Windows XP market share is still much more than than Mac and Vista combined and XP market is much easier to capture and have more potential for growth. Furthermore, MS need to get XP users to switch to Windows 7 so they can ditch XP support.
  • Reply 137 of 465
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

yes...i have used it, but then decided to switch to mac and of course will never go back

try using windows 7 in a core 2 quad, with 4 gb of ram, and snow leopard in a core 2 duo with 2 gb of ram ... and tell me the difference...

Try running Snow Leopard on a Pentium II, or an AMD 64. Oh wait, you can't. How about an Intel Atom netbook?

Win7 actually has very low requirements... it will easily run on a 1ghz Chip, or even lower, and boots up vanilla using about 400MB of RAM (about the same as OS X).

I think as someone said before, people like you give these forums (and even other Mac users) a bad name.
  • Reply 138 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

That would be very useful to me, but I don't know how to do that

I did notice that user account control comes up less often than it did when I tried vista. Startup is the most annoying, so if I could fix that, I would be happy.

Just look up the "Task Scheduler" in the Windows start menu. There are tutorials all over the internet on how to use it. Basically, you create a task that will start every time you log in, and just check the box that says "Use with Administrator Privileges" or something like that.
  • Reply 139 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I wonder if Windows 7 has flash problems like OSX?

I played around with the beta of Win7 this summer and the difference of Flash's performance between the systems was amazing. Leopard running on a 1.8 Ghz Core Duo Mac Mini with 2 gigs of ram, Hulu videos stuttered and just did not play back smoothly. The same Conan video over the same internet connection played noticeably smoother,but it still had an occasional jutter. I blame this on Adobe for not bothering to optimize their code for osx. If Adobe's product runs better on a beta product that is six months from release then it does on mature code in Leopard then that tells me their priority lies elsewhere than with Mac users. I have since started using click to flash and will try to never buy or use an Adobe product until they give us mac users some loving!
  • Reply 140 of 465
    I use 64bit windows 7 every day on my laptop computer I bring to work (lenovo x61t) with 4gb RAM 1.6ghz processer. Windows XP on my work desktop (new Dell Optiplex 360 with 3gb ram and 2.66ghz E7300 processor) and Snow Leopard on a MBP unibody 2.53ghz with 4gb of RAM and you know what? They all work really well. I also have jolicloud on a Dell mini9 which I'll be switching back to a hackintosh soon.

Being someone who got his first mac about 2 1/2 years ago and who liked it enough to get the MBP earlier this year, I have to say that I like Windows 7 more than the Mac OS. That's probably because I've used Windows for years and I'm more familiar with it and that doesn't mean I hate Mac! lol

What gets me are the people that say Windows 7 is just a polished Vista. Well, to those people I have to saw that Leopard didn't seem like much more than a polish of Tiger and Snow Leopard hardly seems like an upgrade at all to Leopard. Again, I love my MBP, I've got a 3GS an and Airport Extreme but I refuse to drink the Apple fan boy Kool Aid!