U.S. Army adopts Apple for new video surveillance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buceta View Post

Unfortunately, there are those even more dim-witted than the Army.

Like who, you?

Because only a dimwit would make a statement like that.
  • Reply 22 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You either have not been using Macs since the beginning, never shared any disks or didn't realize that the goofy clown who popped up and deleted all your files was a virus. There were tons of Mac viruses before OS X. Are you kidding me?

Of course I'm not kidding. I've not encountered any software virus on a Mac because I've always subscribe to the practice of "never say 'never'." I was always mindful of handling of e-mail attachments, visiting sites and downloading "free" software, and so on. It's simple common-sense computer usage. On the other hand, software virus distribution is sneaky, so if I let my guard down I might get a computer cootie. It can happen to anyone. (So, that goofy clown was several tons?)
  • Reply 23 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

heh, The report fails to mention where the surveillance cameras are installed. Are they watching us or them

Nah... It's them not me. That's where I put the Post It note. I keep the iSight covered with it so the NSA can't see what color underwear I'm using on any particular day. I've been doing that ever since the Patriot Act.
  • Reply 24 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

Of course I'm not kidding. I've not encountered any software virus on a Mac because I've always subscribe to the practice of "never say 'never'." I was always mindful of handling of e-mail attachments, visiting sites and downloading "free" software, and so on. It's simple common-sense computer usage. (So, that goofy clown was several tons?)

I wasn't mindful. not in the least. I've still never encountered a virus on a Mac. For the record, I switch to Macs three months before they dropped OSX.
  • Reply 25 of 99
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoonyfork View Post

No "no military use" clauses in license agreements bundled with OSX?

No.

The standard OS license is geared towards personal/educational/commercial use.

But even if there were something in the license directed at military use, I imagine that the military is working directly with Apple on the systems solution and (if needed) a specific license would be developed allowing it.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Nah... It's them not me. That's where I put the Post It note. I keep the iSight covered with it so the NSA can't see what color underwear I'm using on any particular day. I've been doing that ever since the Patriot Act.

Must be some pretty compelling underwear. Whatcha gonna do when Bama expands the Patriot Act? Heh heh...
  • Reply 27 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodrulz View Post

I hope the Army doesn't let their guard down and not put any protection of for the Macs... every system is hackable.

Yes, but some systems are more hackable than others. Compare the number of times a Windows based web server has been hacked to a *nix one. In fact, didn't someone deface one of Microsoft's websites a few years ago?
  • Reply 28 of 99
    Quote:

There were tons of Mac viruses before OS X. Are you kidding me?

Tons?

The total number of actual virii is less than 30 for ALL Mac OS versions.
  • Reply 29 of 99
    They must not have done their homework . HP has systems that have the same processors in them as the mac servers do with linux.

My z600 is capable of 2 xeon 5590s with 24 gigs of ram .

The g6 configured off government contract is about $1000 - $2000 cheaper then a similarly configured xserve from apple.

Did apple thrown in more money then what is listed on their website?
  • Reply 30 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

They must not have done their homework . HP has systems that have the same processors in them as the mac servers do with linux.

And?

What does this have to do with this story?
  • Reply 31 of 99
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

They are installed in front of you.

And iChat Server SE (surveillance edition) is used to record every iSight they can get their hands on.

Finally, a use for iSight.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoonyfork View Post

No "no military use" clauses in license agreements bundled with OSX?

Probably just a "cover your ass" kind of line to cover liabilities, especially if someone's kid might die in a mishap. I'm not masochistic enough to go through a EULA just for a post, there maybe something prohibiting it from being used in weapon systems, not general IT.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

The g6 configured off government contract is about $1000 - $2000 cheaper then a similarly configured xserve from apple.

Did apple thrown in more money then what is listed on their website?

HP does seem to make pretty nice workstations (mine are not current, a few years old), but hardware is just one piece of the puzzle, the same goes for the cost of the hardware. The cost of hardware is low compared to the cost of the people that support and use the hardware.
  • Reply 32 of 99
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

(In other words, just because the military is using it doesn't automatically mean it's being used for unethical purposes. Or should everyone be required to pass some ethics test before being allowed to purchase Apple products?)

It is amazing sometimes the extent of the bleeding hearts in this forum, there is absolutely nothing wrong or unethical with killing the enemy. Sometimes the most efficent way to do that is messy, sometimes invisible to the general population in the end the only important thing is that they die wholesale.

It's all about evolution, just as in biology societies evolve in ways both positive and negative. Those societies that are non functional and dangerous either wither away on their own or must be destroyed from the outside. It is an unfortunate reality but if you want your own culture to grow and sustain itself you have to remove all threats to it. The American people are slowly learning this and hopefully soon the full wieght and power of the military can be applied to the trouble spots in the world.

Dave
  • Reply 33 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

And?

What does this have to do with this story?

The story states (you should read it) that the apple hardware was faster then the hp hardware. This makes no sense because the hp hardware uses the same processors and chipsets that the apple hardware does and it cheaper. With the severe discounts that hp gives to government agencies i dont see why they went the apple route (i work for a state agency so i know the prices).

Yes for things like graphic design and non techies apple is great but when it comes to tax payer money why get an apple when an hp with the same specs is cheaper? (i am talking an hp with linux not windows).
  • Reply 34 of 99
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is amazing sometimes the extent of the bleeding hearts in this forum, there is absolutely nothing wrong or unethical with killing the enemy. Sometimes the most efficent way to do that is messy, sometimes invisible to the general population in the end the only important thing is that they die wholesale.

It's all about evolution, just as in biology societies evolve in ways both positive and negative. Those societies that are non functional and dangerous either wither away on their own or must be destroyed from the outside. It is an unfortunate reality but if you want your own culture to grow and sustain itself you have to remove all threats to it. The American people are slowly learning this and hopefully soon the full wieght and power of the military can be applied to the trouble spots in the world.

It goes both ways. There is also a certain level of naivete in the neocon assumption that centuries and millennia old ethnic conflicts can be solved in a few months with the right firepower.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Tons?

The total number of actual virii is less than 30 for ALL Mac OS versions.

Maybe, I never counted them, but back in the 80's and 90's while working in film output services, we would routinely discover 30 or so a week. Mostly variants of WDEF, MDEF, CDEF etc. All detected by Norton but few could be quarantined or repaired. It was a major problem until OS X. Plus there was the whole Macro virus epidemic for MS Office that came later. It seemed like a lot worse of a problem at the time than you make it out to be. Were you in elementary school at that time?
  • Reply 36 of 99
    Quote:

Maybe, I never counted them,

Others have counted them.

I guess if you count the Office macro debacle as multiple instances, then okay, there were less than 30 plus the tens of thousands of macro virii.

Quote:

but back in the 80's and 90's while working in film output services, we would routinely discover 30 or so a week

And the IT guy kept his job? Sounds like you were not taking even basic precautions.

Quote:

Were you in elementary school at that time?

No, why?
  • Reply 37 of 99
    Quote:

... there is absolutely nothing wrong or unethical with killing the enemy.

There absolutely is something unethical with killing the enemy! I can't make nearly as much money off a dead enemy as I can with an alive one. As a free market capitalist cum "bleeding heart" liberal I would rather the opportunity to make a lot of money off of my enemy rather than kill them. The commodification of discontent is quite profitable and has a very long tail. Killing one's enemy is very anti-free market and anti-capitalist. Bad American, bad!
  • Reply 38 of 99
    Quote:

Dave

Hear, Hear. And hopefully, Apple products will help to do that with utmost expediency and efficiency. I do own stock, after all.
  • Reply 39 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It goes both ways. There is also a certain level of naivete in the neocon assumption that centuries and millennia old ethnic conflicts can be solved in a few months with the right firepower.

It may go both ways, but its going more one way than the other, especially when a Global Moderator begins making blanket "neocon" assumptions/accusations.
  • Reply 40 of 99
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    So who's saying that Windows PCs are a better choice for mission critical computers now?