U.S. Army adopts Apple for new video surveillance

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There were tons of Mac viruses before OS X. Are you kidding me?

Yeah, if you mean 60-80 were tons. http://www.clamxav.com/
  • Reply 42 of 99
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It's all about evolution, just as in biology societies evolve in ways both positive and negative. Those societies that are non functional and dangerous either wither away on their own or must be destroyed from the outside. It is an unfortunate reality but if you want your own culture to grow and sustain itself you have to remove all threats to it. The American people are slowly learning this and hopefully soon the full wieght and power of the military can be applied to the trouble spots in the world.

If the US were to leave foreign countries, those people would be much less likely to venture here to the US and attack us than they would be in just continue fighting amongst themselves.

I think we (US) should act much more like 'biology societies' and simply defend our country at our borders. As it is now, the government has no control of our borders. This is substantially due to student visas that were encouraged for years so that our universities could profit from foreign student tuition. Now there are so many loopholes in the student visa and work visa system that we will never fix it. One person gets in and immediately summons all their relatives to come live here too. This is entirely separate from the other immigration policies and issues regarding VietNam, China and Mexico, and so called British colonies, etc. Anyone who claims persecution or hardship in their own country can just come live with us and the taxpayer will foot the bill.

If it were possible I would like to see them all go back home, but now that they have their US born children and families we can't break them up and deport half of an illegal family, now can we?
  • Reply 43 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

And the IT guy kept his job? Sounds like you were not taking even basic precautions.

You don't quite understand how the film output business worked do you?

You see, hundreds of different designers would bring in floppies, zips, optical drives & syquests, and we would output their files for them. We had virus protection, they often did not.
  • Reply 44 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Must be some pretty compelling underwear. Whatcha gonna do when Bama expands the Patriot Act? Heh heh...

Vote Republican in 2010 & 2012! I'm an Independent who votes his conscience. But not in my underwear. I save that thrill for the forums.
  • Reply 45 of 99
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

It may go both ways, but its going more one way than the other, especially when a Global Moderator begins making blanket "neocon" assumptions/accusations.

You're defending someone that used "bleeding hearts"? Not is that a blanket assumption or accusation, that is generally a phrase used by neocons, and not many others.

Just to be clear, I wasn't intending to call Wizard a neocon. But if people want to get political, then they should understand what they're getting into, if you're going to fling, you shouldn't complain when you get flung on. Which I'd say is an excellent demonstration of the same kind of core problem.

Much of the recent global intervention is in large part to make up for the mistakes in intervention decades previous, we were so focused on the problem at hand that it caused problem for the future. The blame can justifiably be spread pretty wide and across political aisles. The US will be paying for mistakes in the current intervention decades from now. You might say that we're still dealing with the ghosts of conflicts from a century ago. The more people understand this and actually try to do something to stop the cycle rather than follow the same old play book, the better off we will be.
  • Reply 46 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neil Anderson View Post

Yeah, if you mean 60-80 were tons. http://www.clamxav.com/

You're just going to send me to a home page? Where's the page with your data?

I guess Norton was just goofing around when they would send us new definitions every week with thousands of new defs.

I found this document that goes into some detail :

http://stason.org/TULARC/os-macintos...s-and-the.html
  • Reply 47 of 99
    Didn't Microsoft create a special hardened version of Windows and subsequently received some kind of special certification from the US army to have it installed on army computers? Or am I confused with another news story a year ago? It's interesting the OSX doesn't need to go through the same certification process..
  • Reply 48 of 99
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

The story states (you should read it) that the apple hardware was faster then the hp hardware.

I did read it. No where does it state anything about being "faster".

It does say,

Quote:

"He can put as many as 60 cameras on one Apple server that, according the specifications, has the same performance abilities as a Dell or HP server that can only serve 50 cameras," the report said.

Also, hardware is only part of the equation.
  • Reply 49 of 99
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You're defending someone that used "bleeding hearts"? That is generally a phrase used by neocons, and not many others.

Just to be clear, I wasn't intending to call Wizard a neocon. But if people want to get political, then they should understand what they're getting into.

Absoutely right.

Quote:

But still, as it is, much of the recent global intervention is in large part to make up for the mistakes in intervention decades previous, we were so focused on the problem at hand that it caused problem for the future. The blame can justifiably be spread pretty wide and across political aisles. The US will be paying for mistakes in the current intervention decades from now. You might say that we're still dealing with the ghosts of conflicts from a century ago. The more people understand this and actually try to do something to stop the cycle rather than follow the same old play book, the better off we will be.

This is where you get into difficutly. Your philosophy is way to muddled and complicated. Try this:

US=good

THEM=evil

See? Much simpler.

Feel free to substitute appropriate other words when needed (right, blessed and worthy of life VS wrong, unloved by God and OK to kill)
  • Reply 50 of 99
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:

You don't quite understand how the film output business worked do you?

You see, hundreds of different designers would bring in floppies, zips, optical drives & syquests, and we would output their files for them. We had virus protection, they often did not.

I remember those days (1986). Were you a Service Bureau? We took out media to our local bureau to obtain our negatives for burning our press plates. We used a free AV app on those early Macs. I never did find a virus on any of my Macs and have been using them since.
  • Reply 51 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You're defending someone that used "bleeding hearts"? Not is that a blanket assumption or accusation, that is generally a phrase used by neocons, and not many others.

Just to be clear, I wasn't intending to call Wizard a neocon. But if people want to get political, then they should understand what they're getting into, if you're going to fling, you shouldn't complain when you get flung on. Which I'd say is an excellent demonstration of the same kind of core problem.

Much of the recent global intervention is in large part to make up for the mistakes in intervention decades previous, we were so focused on the problem at hand that it caused problem for the future. The blame can justifiably be spread pretty wide and across political aisles. The US will be paying for mistakes in the current intervention decades from now. You might say that we're still dealing with the ghosts of conflicts from a century ago. The more people understand this and actually try to do something to stop the cycle rather than follow the same old play book, the better off we will be.

I understand what your point is...and I didn't think that you were calling Wizard a Neocon...but if these words (Neocon, being rather new and highly controversial) begin coming from Moderators, then they will imply a certain level of bias on the part of AI (which is perfectly apolitical in my rose-colored view) and alienate readers.
  • Reply 52 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Absoutely right.

This is where you get into difficutly. Your philosophy is way to muddled and complicated. Try this:

US=good

THEM=evil

See? Much simpler.

Feel free to substitute appropriate other words when needed (right, blessed and worthy of life VS wrong, unloved by God and OK to kill)

Oh no, he was exactly right. It was our fault, and has always been our fault, and we deserve what comes to our shores. We need to understand them, and empathize with them, and apologize to them for all of the terrible wrongs we've committed. we need to appease them, and hope they will forgive us.

Then we need to begin censoring the things we say so as not to offend them.

And while we're at it, maybe we should do a little more censoring so that we don't offend any of them who may be here visiting our evil country.
  • Reply 53 of 99
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

I understand what your point is...and I didn't think that you were calling Wizard a Neocon...but if these words (Neocon, being rather new and highly controversial) begin coming from Moderators, then they will imply a certain level of bias on the part of AI (which is perfectly apolitical in my rose-colored view) and alienate readers.

First, the idea is decades old. If that's your idea of rather new, then fair enough.

But I understand your concerns. I will try to stay out of political discussion. I generally try to put a stop to it, but it's not going to stop when linked to a story like this.
  • Reply 54 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

"That?s where the Mac conversation begins. The viruses, hacking, all of those things are dramatically minimized with Apple and it eliminates a lot of those challenges."

Were they reluctant to say dropped to zero?

Because as was the case Cliff Stoll found out years ago a system is only as good as the person managing it. People will do things that are silly that will compromise any account that is connected to the web.
  • Reply 55 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

I remember those days (1986). Were you a Service Bureau? We took out media to our local bureau to obtain our negatives for burning our press plates. We used a free AV app on those early Macs. I never did find a virus on any of my Macs and have been using them since.

Disinfectant. But it did not detect lots of different attacks such as worms, trojans, virus inside of compressed files or Word Macros. Since you were only sending files to the service bureau made it much more unlikely that you would receive a virus from them. On the other hand when we received files from a broad range of diverse and mostly technically non- savvy artists, there were many viruses floating around.
  • Reply 56 of 99
    so all will be fine and dandy till someone decides to log into a guest account, and therefore subsequently loses all of the main users data on the mac, resulting in the loss of video footage of national security lol. and dont rely on those time machines either, those have an apparent death date of 18 months. this is really something they need to reconsider.
  • Reply 57 of 99
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Meh, I assume it isn't good practice to speak of absolutes in the public/poltical/military sphere.

At least not after "Mission Accomplished."

"Mission Accomplished is sooooo last Administration, dude. You need to keep up with the times... it's now Obama's phrase "Pass my stimulus plan and unemployment won't go above 8%"!

""Well, I think the stimulus so far has been unsuccessful in achieving the goals the president set out for it," Cornyn said. "[Obama] said, with the stimulus, we'd seen 8 percent -- no higher than 8 percent unemployment. And we now see, with 60 percent of the stimulus unspent, that that has not been successful. We're going to see unemployment over 10 percent.""

http://abcnews.go.com/m/screen?id=8748588&pid=4380645
  • Reply 58 of 99
    Quote:

You're just going to send me to a home page? Where's the page with your data?

I guess Norton was just goofing around when they would send us new definitions every week with thousands of new defs.

I found this document that goes into some detail :

http://stason.org/TULARC/os-macintos...s-and-the.html

If you bothered to actually read that list (what a novel idea ) you would have found some don't spread under multifinder and other 'aren't known to be in circulation'.

As for Norton those "thousands of new defs" those were for Windows viruses or platform independent Macro viruses that Disinfectant couldn't handle.
  • Reply 59 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

"Mission Accomplished is sooooo last Administration, dude. You need to keep up with the times... it's now Obama's phrase "Pass my stimulus plan and unemployment won't go above 8%"!

""Well, I think the stimulus so far has been unsuccessful in achieving the goals the president set out for it," Cornyn said. "[Obama] said, with the stimulus, we'd seen 8 percent -- no higher than 8 percent unemployment. And we now see, with 60 percent of the stimulus unspent, that that has not been successful. We're going to see unemployment over 10 percent.""

http://abcnews.go.com/m/screen?id=8748588&pid=4380645

Considering a paltry fraction of the stimulus went out and the stumbling bumbling way many states have handled it I find it hard to criticize Obama for the actions of other. Remember how in April of 2009 the GOP in Florida turned down the stimulus money? The failure of the stimulus is like that across the board--the GOP want to block or delay it so they can say ''see it didn't work' BS that they believe the American public are brain dead stupid enough to believe in.
  • Reply 60 of 99
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I was surprise that the DOD uses commercial OS. You would think that with their huge budget and resources they would develop their own in house variation of Linux. I've seen in the news that China does use their own OS.