Disney turns to Apple's Steve Jobs to spark retail magic

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As Disney attempts to get more aggressive in the retail space, the entertainment giant has relied on its connection with Apple in hopes of recreating some of the Mac maker's retail magic.

According to The New York Times, Disney plans to reboot its 340 stores in the U.S. and Europe, and will open new retail locations, with one potential flagship site in Times Square. The goal: Create more of an "experience" than a store. To achieve that, the company has reportedly turned to a member of its board of directors, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

"For the first time, Mr. Jobs's fingerprints can be seen on Disney strategy, in the same way that he influenced the look and feel of Apple’s own immensely popular retail chain," the report said. "While Mr. Jobs did not personally toil on the Imagination Park concept, he pushed Disney to move far past a refurbishment."

Jobs reportedly told Disney executives to "dream bigger," and provided access to proprietary information about how Apple has developed and operated its own retail locations. Following his instructions, Apple created a full-scale prototype store inside an unmarked warehouse in Glendale, Calif.

"Disney will adopt Apple touches like mobile checkout (employees will carry miniature receipt printers in their aprons) and the emphasis on community (Disney’s theater idea is an extension of Apple's lecture spaces)," the report said. "The focus on interactivity -- parents will be able to book a Disney Cruise on touch-screen kiosks while their children play -- reflects an Apple hallmark. Employees can use iPhones to control those high-tech trees."

Jobs serves on the Disney Board of Directors. He has held that position since 2006, when the Walt Disney Company acquired Pixar Animation Studios, which he had owned since 1986.

Apple's retail stores have proven very successful for the Mac maker. Last quarter, its 254 retail locations sold 492,000 Macs to 38.6 million store visitors, and more than half of those sales were new Mac buyers. Apple is in the process of renovating its own stores, something it hopes to have done for 100 of them by the end of the year.

The company is known for its sometimes extravagant retail stores, particularly the flagship Fifth Avenue location in New York City, where the entrance is a 32-foot glass cube. Apple is also constructing a special roof for its forthcoming Broadway store.

Disney isn't the only company attempting to recreate Apple's retail success. In its own brick-and-mortar venture, rival Microsoft has taken cues from its competitor. It even plans to mimic Apple's Genius Bars with its own "Guru Bars."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Could also help Apple I would think! M$ no doubt ready to copy anything Apple do could partner with Six Flags.

p.s. (added hours later) Six Flags part was a joke for those thinking I was serious
  • Reply 2 of 51
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Disney will adopt Apple touches like mobile checkout (employees will carry miniature receipt printers in their aprons) and the emphasis on community (Disney?s theater idea is an extension of Apple's lecture spaces)," the report said. "The focus on interactivity -? parents will be able to book a Disney Cruise on touch-screen kiosks while their children play ? reflects an Apple hallmark. Employees can use iPhones to control those high-tech trees."

The company is known for its sometimes extravagant retail stores, particularly the flagship Fifth Avenue location in New York City, where the entrance is a 32-foot glass cube. Apple is also constructing a special roof for its forthcoming Broadway store.

I can see this turning into free babysitting for parents if its not done properly... which doesn't do Disney much good.

That said, taking some cues from Apple and making a kick-ass Time Square store would be pretty awesome and be quite the experience as long as they don't fall into the FAO Schwartz trap.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Jobs serves on the Disney Board of Directors.

Hmmm, possible FTC investigation here as Apple moves the iPod Touch and iPhone more into the entertainment sphere.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    I hope it'll be easier to find a "mobile checkout" person in a Disney store than it is in an Apple Store. The customer should not have to walk around searching for an employee to sell them something.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    I'm probably one of the few but I've never liked the Apple Store experience. The place just seems so sterile and empty. And despite being ready to buy, none of the employees ever bothered to ask if I needed assistance. Maybe I looked like I didn't have money to spend, but I did every time I went in.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

Hmmm, possible FTC investigation here as Apple moves the iPod Touch and iPhone more into the entertainment sphere.

Ummm...He is the largest shareholder in both companies...
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I'm probably one of the few but I've never liked the Apple Store experience. The place just seems so sterile and empty. And despite being ready to buy, none of the employees ever bothered to ask if I needed assistance. Maybe I looked like I didn't have money to spend, but I did every time I went in.

I definitely agree with the sterile bit. But I'm usually harassed by employees trying to help me (in the Richmond, VA store).
  • Reply 8 of 51
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Didn't you mean Windows Mobile check out?
  • Reply 9 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Didn't you mean Windows Mobile check out?

Do you have a point?
  • Reply 10 of 51
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Disney is nothing but a copyright whore and the primary reason we have these damn Mickey Mouse extensions to the copyright act.

I despise that company and anything they stand for. They are blatant proof of what money can do in Washington. They have twisted a useful law and turned it into something ugly and counter productive. They are the primary reason that Public Domain is quickly becoming useless.

IMO, It's a little sad that Apple is associating with Disney in any sort of collaboration.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JasonD View Post

I hope it'll be easier to find a "mobile checkout" person in a Disney store than it is in an Apple Store. The customer should not have to walk around searching for an employee to sell them something.

You mean a Windows mobile checkout, don't you?
  • Reply 12 of 51
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

I can see this turning into free babysitting for parents if its not done properly... which doesn't do Disney much good.

That said, taking some cues from Apple and making a kick-ass Time Square store would be pretty awesome and be quite the experience as long as they don't fall into the FAO Schwartz trap.

besides steve jobs helping hands

pixar will also pull disney up and out of its doldrums

sadly it's stock for ever will suck
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Do you have a point?

Obviously- you think ? But I refuse to spoon feed it to you.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:

Obviously- you think ? But I refuse to spoon feed it to you.

What he's trying to say is that this article has nothing to do Microsoft in any way. So you mentioning that really has no point. It's another attempt by you to get off topic.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    I wonder when Microsoft is just gonna come out and ask for help too.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

What he's trying to say is that this article has nothing to do Microsoft in any way. So you mentioning that really has no point. It's another attempt by you to get off topic.

No- it's just stating the full facts. That's all- nothing more nothing less.

Your ridiculous analysis that Microsoft has nothing to do with electronic check out is pure denial. Good try though.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JasonD View Post

They don't, they have signs everywhere telling you to look for the guy in an orange shirt, he grabs a sales person for you.

If you go on their site they also let you schedule time with a sales person in the store so you don't have to wait all day until they are done with someone else.

If the store is really busy there isn't much you can do then, just like having to wait in line at any retail outlet. Shopping at an Apple Store has always been a great experience for me, even if I walk around aimlessly someone usually notices & asks if I need help.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

They don't, they have signs everywhere telling you to look for the guy in an orange shirt, he grabs a sales person for you.

If you go on their site they also let you schedule time with a sales person in the store so you don't have to wait all day until they are done with someone else.

If the store is really busy there isn't much you can do then, just like having to wait in line at any retail outlet. Shopping at an Apple Store has always been a great experience for me, even if I walk around aimlessly someone usually notices & asks if I need help.

About the only thing I dislike about shopping in my local apple store is the fact that it's hard to 'check out' when your not buying a big ticket item. You typically end up waiting 5-10 minutes just trying to get someone to check you out. I don't know if this is because they are short on staff, or just poorly managed.

It's a little ambiguous when you walk in. Unless you happen to know that you're supposed to check in with someone, folks at the desk tend to ignore you unless you confront them directly.

I kind of wish they would just put up an electronic 'sign-in' sheet that you could do yourself to get your electronic 'number' for service. As it is right now you have to flag someone down to check you in, and if your not there for service, you just have to hope you can grab someone to check you out for small ticket items like software, iphone cases, etc.

Is my experience normal, or are all of the stores run in a similar fashion?
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Disney is nothing but a copyright whore and the primary reason we have these damn Mickey Mouse extensions to the copyright act.

I despise that company and anything they stand for. They are blatant proof of what money can do in Washington. They have twisted a useful law and turned it into something ugly and counter productive. They are the primary reason that Public Domain is quickly becoming useless.

IMO, It's a little sad that Apple is associating with Disney in any sort of collaboration.

I thought it rather sad when Pixar gave in to Disney too. Disney stands for everything that's wrong in America . They bare more than a fare share in the dumbing of America with their theme parks, and dumbed down network shows.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    Quote:

No- it's just stating the full facts. That's all- nothing more nothing less.

Your ridiculous analysis that Microsoft has nothing to do with electronic check out is pure denial. Good try though.

Again, you're missing the point. I never said Microsoft has nothing to do with mobile checkout. Neither does the article. I just don't see any point in your original post other than to start an argument\\get the thread off topic.

You complain when AI focuses on Microsoft, then turn around and take an article that's about Apple and Disney and make it about Microsoft.