Apple's Steve Jobs tops list of teens' most admired entrepreneurs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
More evidence of Apple's influence within young America was discovered in a new survey, which found company co-founder Steve Jobs to be the most admired entrepreneur among teens and tweens.

In a survey of 1,000 U.S. children between the ages of 12 and 17, Jobs took top honors, ahead of media pioneer Oprah Winfrey, skateboarding legend Tony Hawk, and Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg. Jobs won the vote with 35 percent, ahead of Winfrey's 25 percent. The study was conducted by Junior Achievement, a non-profit youth organization focused on the education.

Jobs was chosen not for his wealth, but because two-thirds of respondents who selected him said they felt he had made a difference in people's lives, or made the world a better place. Another third said his success in multiple fields made him an admirable entrepreneur.

"We live in a celebrity-obsessed culture, so it's no surprise that teens admire famous entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs and Oprah Winfrey, who have built brands around their personas as well as around their products," said Jack Kosakowski, president of Junior Achievement USA.

It's yet another example of Apple's strong mindshare among America's youth. Last week, the results of the bi-annual Piper Jaffray teen survey showed that an overwhelming majority of teens own an iPod, and those that do not plan to buy one. In addition, teens who legally purchase music almost all use iTunes. And while the iPhone has a small marketshare among teens, 22 percent intend to purchase one in the next six months.

Following Jobs and Winfrey in the survey were Hawk with 16 percent and Zuckerberg with 10 percent. They were followed by Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, who garnered 7 percent of the vote, and Kimora Lee Simmons with 4 percent.

The Junior Achievement poll is in its seventh year. It was conducted by Opinion Research Corporation from Aug. 20-24, 2009 via telephone, and carries a margin of error of +/- 3.2 percent.

The survey also found that 92 percent of children believe entrepreneurial skills should be taught in college or earlier, and 46 percent would like them taught in grade school. In addition, 51 percent intend to start their own businesses someday, but 88 percent felt that the current economic climate would make it difficult to do so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    This is really disturbing news.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Excellent.. More geeks are on the way, which means we are only 3 to 4 generations from Star trek
  • Reply 3 of 53
    He founds a company that brought the computer to the masses, leaves it until it goes down the tube from mismanagement, come back to lead it, does not resort to massive layoffs but to innovation and makes it one of the most, if not the most iconic company of this decade.

BTW, all these teens will be buying macs when they become adults. Go AAPL.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Isn't Difficult but possible and Somewhat challenging vagely similar?

I mean, if something is difficult but possible, it's most probably challenging, right? Maybe it's my bad English not detecting the two alternatives as clearly different
  • Reply 5 of 53
    1,000 samples isn't a very reliable survey.

Where was the survey done? Palo Alto?

I have a hard time believing that the average American teenager even knows who makes the iPod let alone who the CEO is.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

I have a hard time believing that the average American teenager even knows who makes the iPod let alone who the CEO is.

Not to mention Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen-

Has anybody ever taken a statistics course at AI to render such validity to these stories? I mean this is so totally embarassing to post as a thread.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Isn't Difficult but possible and Somewhat challenging vagely similar?

I mean, if something is difficult but possible, it's most probably challenging, right? Maybe it's my bad English not detecting the two alternatives as clearly different

If something is difficult but possible, it's usually very hard but can accomplished with some hard work.

If something is somewhat challenging, it's usually very easy but can sometimes prove a little difficult.

Hope that clears it up for you
  • Reply 8 of 53
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

I am sure they did their work regarding the statistical analysis and percentage errors. Surveying large number of people requires longer time and effort. Most polls and surveys are within that range.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Looking at the pie charts I can't deny, "djeuns" are damn smart!

I'm very surprised and indeed ashamed of having been thinking of them as of hopelessly dumb idiots...
  • Reply 10 of 53
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Not to mention Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen-

Has anybody ever taken a statistics course at AI to render such validity to these stories?

It's no more valid than if these statistics were posted to Engadget or Ars Technica. But you don't see people complaining about those statistics, do you?

And secondly, why is it disturbing? Obviously SJ has made a difference... if he wasn't here, then this site wouldn't be up for you to rant on That alone should convince you that he's significant, let alone why he revolutionized the world with the iPod, iPhone, Pixar, and Mac OS X.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

It's no more valid than if these statistics were posted to Engadget or Ars Technica. But you don't see people complaining about those statistics, do you?

And secondly, why is it disturbing? Obviously SJ has made a difference... if he wasn't here, then this site wouldn't be up for you to rant on That alone should convince you that he's significant, let alone why he revolutionized the world with the iPod, iPhone, Pixar, and Mac OS X.

When you see Steve Jobs lumped in with The Olsen Twins and The Oprah as most admired don't you find that slightly disturbing?

I'd bet NEWBEE was part of the survey.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Hyperbole much?
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:

I'm not going to comment on the validity of the actual survey, but a sample of 1,000 is actually quite reliable. Generally, a base of 30+ is considered statistically valid.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Better him than Ballmer.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gayforteckstud View Post

Hyperbole much?

NO WAY!
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple4life07 View Post

I'm not going to comment on the validity of the actual survey, but a sample of 1,000 is actually quite reliable. Generally, a base of 30+ is considered statistically valid.

Where- in Indiana?
  • Reply 17 of 53
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gayforteckstud View Post

Hyperbole much?

Love the username!
  • Reply 18 of 53
    I wouldn't wish 'Starting a business' on my worst enemy! It is extremely difficult. But if you can pull it off...the worst day working for yourself is better than the best day working for someone else!

It's just most small businesses fail.

The IRS estimates if you want to make $100K a year (the businesses that have 'made it') have invested on average, $300K.

The problem is that it's not a given. Just because you invest $300K doesn't mean you will make $100K. Again most fail.

Steve Jobs said, 'it is so difficult. At 20 I made my first million, at 21, 10 million and 22, 100 million.'

Me? I'm still working on my second million, The first million was too hard!

Best
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

When you see Steve Jobs lumped in with The Olsen Twins and The Oprah as most admired don't you find that slightly disturbing?

I'd bet NEWBEE was part of the survey.

Yeah, my generation it was, 'where were you when Kennedy was shot?' This generation it's, 'where were you when the Paris Hilton sex tape came out?'
  • Reply 20 of 53
    I took the liberty of fixing some critical errors I found while reading the article, and made the adjustments within the quotation. AI can feel free to thank me later

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...It's yet another example of Apple's strong mind share among America's youth. Last week, the results of the bi-annual Piper Jaffray teen survey showed that an overwhelming majority of teens own an iPod, and those that do not plan to [insert]make their parents buy them one.[/insert] In addition, teens who legally purchase music [insert]by abusing their mommy and daddy's credit card[/insert]almost all use iTunes. And while the iPhone has a small market share among teens, 22 percent intend to [insert]make their parents purchase one for them along with the $100/mo AT&T plan[/insert] in the next six months.