Mac sales grow 11.8% as Apple takes 9.4% U.S. market share

Comments

• Reply 21 of 168
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That obviously lumps all consumers into one category. Bear in mind that although the share is not that low relative to the other manufacturers, those other manufacturers combined all offer significantly more options than Apple and for the 9% that went with Apple, 91% went without for one reason or another. So to define 'what consumers want' to be what Apple offer when their share goes up a point or two, isn't entirely a good measure.

If they lowered prices a bit, they hit a larger demographic, if they introduce an overpowered cube on top of the current models, they hit a larger market, if they unlock iphones, they hit a lager market. As I say, to suggest that they are doing something right by not doing these things simply because their share goes up a bit is plain wrong when every one of the changes would unquestionably increase marketshare.

All these figures prove is that Apple is gaining in popularity little by little but in the end the majority still opt for Windows PCs because they can afford them and they get options.

If Apple hit say, 30% marketshare, they would have to bend more than they do now in order to continue moving the numbers upwards.

But, consumers might also bend a bit to buy into Apple's philosophy.

There would be a compromise.

Are "open" phones doing better? No.

It's difficult to change computer OS's, but not difficult to do so with phones.

So we're seeing a 30% share for the iPhone in the US in the smartphone category.

Computer marketshare increases will be slower.
  • Reply 22 of 168
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I personally love the glossy screens and it seems, the majority of folks do too.

How would you know since matte isn't offered?
  • Reply 23 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I rest my case.

Nothing personal, it's just that Apple thinks more of what the consumer-mass wants rather than focus on the smaller, more vocal, and less-profitable 1% segment.

Perhaps they may introduce a matte-screen but I would think it will be merely a slapped-on film. I personally love the glossy screens and it seems, the majority of folks do too.

If they follow what they did with the new Macbook Pro's, they will use the same LEC panel, but with a matter surface, and eliminate the glass entirely. That's what I bought my daughter (shock!)

You can't slap a matte screen over the glass, it would obscure the detail and cause flare.
  • Reply 24 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Tell it to Acer- I bet they're pretty happy with those numbers.

They may be happy with those numbers, as market share does count. But market share means nothing if you're making diddly off each unit sold.
  • Reply 25 of 168
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Yeah. Check: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?s...A&pid=20601080 for the meat and potatoes.

Watch Dell's and HP's combined market cap for more details.

Selling shiploads of items without profit is not good business. It would eventually be reasonable, if they would create mindshare, but they don't. A Windows machine is a Windows machine is a Windows machine... people won't buy Acer's high end models, just because they liked their netbook.
  • Reply 26 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If they follow what they did with the new Macbook Pro's, they will use the same LEC panel, but with a matter surface, and eliminate the glass entirely. That's what I bought my daughter (shock!)

You can't slap a matte screen over the glass, it would obscure the detail and cause flare.

You took that jerky comment seriously?

And why did you buy non-glare? Was it her preference?
  • Reply 27 of 168
    Quote:

So now you have insight into Acer's home office?

Likely, they're just as frustrated as every other PC manufacturer who is trying to think of a way to convince those netbook buyers into buying a more expensive machine next time.
  • Reply 28 of 168
    Quote:

An emerging technology?
  • Reply 29 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

An emerging technology?

Non-glossy glass is a new invention?
  • Reply 30 of 168
    Quote:

So now you have insight into Acer's home office?

Likely, they're just as frustrated as every other PC manufacturer who is trying to think of a way to convince those netbook buyers into buying a more expensive machine next time.

OK- so I don't have insight into Acer's home office but you do?
  • Reply 31 of 168
    Quote:

I WOULDN'T LAUGH AT 48.3% GROWTH IF I WERE YOU- looks rather FOOLISH.

Yeah, sure. Cash flow without profits. What every company wants to show its shareholders.

Companies thought this would be good for the recession, and that by now, people would be trading up.

But the lure of lower prices several years ago when laptops became cheap have just continued.

You can continue to site your useless numbers. Netbooks aren't complete computers. They are partial computers. The one I got for my daughter was reviewed in several places as being one of the best and fastest, but it's horribly slow, even with the 2 GB RAM upgrade.
  • Reply 31 of 168
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Non-glossy glass is a new invention?

Sure, almost as spectacular as "no glass"

Apple is relaxed about these things. Remove Firewire from MacBooks, bring it back a few months later and call it a new "pro" feature... wouldn't work for anybody else, but Apple gets away with it.
  • Reply 33 of 168
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

It's so obvious that Apple should have had an answer to Acer netbooks like 2 years ago. They have infiltrated the consciousness of the youth today - they all have them.

I'm not sure what your point is. Acer runs a low margin, high volume business model where design and manufacturing flaws are less of a concern. The netbook market is perfect for them. Apple runs a lower volume, higher margin model and pay more attention to the details.

What you are saying is like stating:

It's so obvious that BMW should have had an answer to Kia years ago. They have infiltrated the consciousness of the youth today - they all have them.
  • Reply 34 of 168
    Quote:

How would you know since matte isn't offered?

Because, in the PC world, people love them, and prefer them.
  • Reply 35 of 168
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That obviously lumps all consumers into one category. Bear in mind that although the share is not that low relative to the other manufacturers, those other manufacturers combined all offer significantly more options than Apple and for the 9% that went with Apple, 91% went without for one reason or another. So to define 'what consumers want' to be what Apple offer when their share goes up a point or two, isn't entirely a good measure.

If they lowered prices a bit, they hit a larger demographic, if they introduce an overpowered cube on top of the current models, they hit a larger market, if they unlock iphones, they hit a lager market. As I say, to suggest that they are doing something right by not doing these things simply because their share goes up a bit is plain wrong when every one of the changes would unquestionably increase marketshare.

All these figures prove is that Apple is gaining in popularity little by little but in the end the majority still opt for Windows PCs because they can afford them and they get options.

Marvin - get real. The article clearly states that Apple's sales are growing, especially in an economy where all other players are hanging on by a thread. They are clearly doing something right even in the face of critics / whiners that stand on their wooden-crate pedestals to declare that they are doing everything wrong. That was the point I was making.

Could Apple gain more market share with other changes to their product line? I'm sure they can. Do they want to? Probably not, but maybe later if their research indicates it would be prudent. I'm an AAPL holder and have faith in their ability to do the homework necessary before introducing / changing a product.

You're beating a dead horse when preaching that if they would gain x% more if they do this or that. I'm leaving it up to them to figure it out. So far, they are doing a great job, satisfaction is high, and Apple is priming the young kids to their future products. And more great things I'm sure are in the pipeline. Obviously, it's not good enough for you. I don't think any company could meet the bar you folks are setting it at.

Even as you speak with your dollars, those 1% folks are not making a dent.

The truth hurts doesn't it? \
  • Reply 36 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Apple would have even more market share if they produced a matte screen iMac - I would have bought one.

Your loss, the new iMacs are brilliant in all possible ways.
  • Reply 37 of 168
    OK..... yet another thread is getting teckstud-ed again.

See y'all in the next one (or when he goes to sleep or is at work; if he does either).
  • Reply 38 of 168
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Good on Apple, but a little of that marketshare growth is likely a measurable number of PC users waiting for Windows 7 to land before buying a new PC.

As for Acer, good that they have marketshare, but without profit what is the point?

Macs average for $1,500 I once read, while Acer’s netbooks seem to be priced around $300. What percentage of those is profit? Even if Acer has the same percentage of net profit (which I doubt) they would still need to sell 5x as many to equal Apple’s Mac profit.

PS: Let’s not forget that Apple owns 92% of the $1000+ market segment and takes 33¢ of every dollar spent on PCs in the US. Netbooks won’t be hurting either of those things.

Quote:

If Apple hit say, 30% marketshare, they would have to bend more than they do now in order to continue moving the numbers upwards.

That would be 5% more than what HP or Dell have now. Unless Apple started selling $400 notebooks they just couldn’t get those numbers. To get another 5% in the next 5 years I think Apple will have to bend considerably to cheaper, more affordable machines, especially now that disposable netbooks are fudging the numbers.
  • Reply 39 of 168
    Quote:

You took that jerky comment seriously?

And why did you buy non-glare? Was it her preference?

When someone says something, unless I know otherwise, I take it seriously. I take most of your comments seriously, don't I?

As for why I bought my daughter the matte screen, I believe in the truth.

I explained both the benefits of glossy glass, and the downside. I also explained the benefits and downside to matte.

She was torn over which to get. So I told her that rightly or wrongly, most pros are buying, or preferring, the matte screen. So she thought that she should do what the pros were doing as this is her major.
  • Reply 40 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

An emerging technology?

Yes, my fingers are known for starting entire new industries at a mere touch.