Mac sales grow 11.8% as Apple takes 9.4% U.S. market share

Comments

• Reply 81 of 168
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Tell it to Acer- I bet they're pretty happy with those numbers.

What's to be happy about .... check out their financial info ( you can google finance it) sales up, profits down, Yea TeckDud, they're happy alright, happy it's not even worse.
  • Reply 82 of 168
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Ouch.

Sales are up but they're hardly making any money. It's what happens when you head straight for the bottom. And you get just that . . . horrid netbooks. Even Michael Dell - of all people - admitted it:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10...l_club_speech/

For those who don't remember the 90s, Dell was once the PREMIUM PC maker, not the best place to find a cheap PC. Their ASPs were far higher than the rest of the industry, and 10 years ago it was THEM saying that they'd never sell a sub $1000 PC. Interesting?
  • Reply 83 of 168
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    market share vs market cap vs profit

i'd give up market share to put more money in my pocket, funny apple stock has done very well

you can chase the prices down, thats why netbooks are killing the profitability of pc makers

also consumer satisfaction with netbooks isn't as high as apple's

how many billions is SJ strategy putting in the bank??

market leader doesn't need to be market share leader
  • Reply 84 of 168
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Again TeckDud, fyi ... sales growth absolutely does not automatically equate to success ... does acer make as much profit as Apple? If I sell 1 computer and make 500.00 profit and you sell 4 computers and make 100.00 on each are you a more profitable company than me? HINT 4x100.00=400.00, 500.00 is bigger than 400.00 ... I can't dumb it down any further for you ....Sorry.

It's called market share. look it up- I don't have time to explain it to a NEWBEE.
  • Reply 85 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I believe in the truth.

I explained both the benefits of glossy glass, and the downside. I also explained the benefits and downside to matte

She was torn over which to get. So I told her that rightly or wrongly, most pros are buying, or preferring, the matte screen. So she thought that she should do what the pros were doing as this is her major

A post for the ages. Thank you , thank you, MELGROSS.

I will keep this in my archives.
  • Reply 86 of 168
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:

I WOULDN'T LAUGH AT 48.3% GROWTH IF I WERE YOU- looks rather FOOLISH.

It appears that Apple may well be overtaken by Toshiba after the next quarter. But if you think that anyone at Apple will loose one second of sleep over that, you are likely mistaken.

Market share in numbers is just one part of the picture. But think of the whole infrastructure that has to be built from manufacturing to shipping to service. When (not if) the bottom falls out of the netbook market, thousands of people will be without a job.

As has been mentioned here many times, Apple follows its own strategy for growth. And that strategy has been working perfectly for years. Both in the Mac-world as well as in the iPhone world.

That makes Apple a LEADER, all those that seek market share at any cost are just FOLLOWERS!
  • Reply 87 of 168
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

No whining necessary. But just look at the numbers for Acer for the answer to any of your questions.

ea

your so tight 3oo dollar net books compare to MBP

apple sells at %91 market share in its class

or add the apples two mini computers in the mix and

the itouch/iphone are fine computers

you can't have it both ways
  • Reply 88 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

It appears that Apple may well be overtaken by Toshiba after the next quarter. But if you think that anyone at Apple will loose one second of sleep over that, you are likely mistaken.

Market share in numbers is just one part of the picture. But think of the whole infrastructure that has to be built from manufacturing to shipping to service. When (not if) the bottom falls out of the netbook market, thousands of people will be without a job.

As has been mentioned here many times, Apple follows its own strategy for growth. And that strategy has been working perfectly for years. Both in the Mac-world as well as in the iPhone world.

That makes Apple a LEADER, all those that seek market share at any cost are just FOLLOWERS!

Dude, Netbooks are leading the industry , not MacBook Airs. Get real.
  • Reply 89 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

ea

your so tight 3oo dollar net books compare to MBP

apple sells at %91 market share in its class

or add the apples two mini computers in the mix and

the itouch/iphone are fine computers

you can't have it both ways

Don't forget your MacBook Air, Dude. Remember- it fits inside an interoffice envelope!
  • Reply 90 of 168
    Quote:

It's called market share. look it up- I don't have time to explain it to a NEWBEE.

I'm sorry I keep looking at my bank statement and I don't see a line anywhere for market share. Since you're clearly a financial wiz, please educate me about the relationship between one's pocketbook and market share.

I only have an economics degree from an Ivy league school, so please speak slowly for my sake.
  • Reply 91 of 168
    Quote:

I WOULDN'T LAUGH AT 48.3% GROWTH IF I WERE YOU- looks rather FOOLISH.

no you truly look stupid saying that 48 % growth with 4 % percent profit looks impressive

its not

its very sad

and against 30 billion in cash and growing

w/billion dollar farms coming online

and 1/2 billion dollar pre flash buys

5 explosive product lines

vs a company that make's electronic trash

acer makes a great kitchen web surfer for granny who never turns it on

dammit teckstud i thought you was a cool dude from the big apple like me

pulleeezeee
  • Reply 92 of 168
    Quote:

Don't forget your MacBook Air, Dude. Remember- it fits inside an interoffice envelope!

MBA not for me

i bought the 15inMBP 3.02ghZ and the glossy rocks call of duty 4
  • Reply 93 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

no you truly look stupid saying that 48 % growth with 4 % percent profit looks impressive

its not

its very sad

and against 30 billion in cash and growing

w/billion dollar farms coming online

and 1/2 billion dollar pre flash buys

5 explosive product lines

vs a company that make's electronic trash

acer makes a great kitchen web surfer for granny who never turns it on

dammit teckstud i thought you was a cool dude from the big apple like me

pulleeezeee

I am I am- we love our apple prods. but I refuse to not call something that is selling and infiltrating every aspect of society a flop. Look at every kid going to school with a netbook. why aren't they lugging an Apple around, brucep? tell me- why?
  • Reply 94 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I'm sorry I keep looking at my bank statement and I don't see a line anywhere for market share. Since you're clearly a financial wiz, please educate me about the relationship between one's pocketbook and market share.

I only have an economics degree from an Ivy league school, so please speak slowly for my sake.

Ok OK -so Acer is doomed and all these Netbooks that keep on growing don't mean jackshit. Give me more kool-aid now- I need more !!!!!
  • Reply 95 of 168
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Yes.

When you confine yourself to mainly the Premium end (and rule it), market share will naturally be less. Bottom feeders will keep putting out generic boxes on the cheap. That's the way it goes. Garbage tends to accumulate.
  • Reply 96 of 168
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If they lowered prices a bit, they hit a larger demographic, if they introduce an overpowered cube on top of the current models, they hit a larger market, if they unlock iphones, they hit a lager market. As I say, to suggest that they are doing something right by not doing these things simply because their share goes up a bit is plain wrong when every one of the changes would unquestionably increase marketshare.

So what? You've increase market share. Show me that you increase profitability.

Frankly, I couldn't care any less that there isn't an xMac.
  • Reply 97 of 168
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

What's interesting is that Toshiba does all that just with laptops. Then again, so does Apple pretty much. They have mobile laptops and non-mobile laptops.
  • Reply 98 of 168
    Quote:

Tell it to Acer- I bet they're pretty happy with those numbers.

Not really. Acer hopes Netbooks drive other products with higher margins to offset the losses.

We'll see how many notebooks and/or smartphones are purchased by notebook buyers when they announce their financial 3Q.
  • Reply 99 of 168
    patspats Posts: 112member
    It humors to me to see Techstud on an Apple thread. I hope you don't judge by number of posts, but quality. As far as numbers go, growth rate is important and profit if you are in the market. AAPL the stock is doing fine, and the company is doing better so argue the merits of individual devices, but the Apple business strategy is the stuff of textbooks. For every misstep their is an omg. Who thought the App store would sell in the billions. Not Nokia, Not Microsoft. They are running scared. Let them bring W7 because the reality is the OS comes with the system and people don't upgrade windows unless they are on a service contract or their system crashes. Mac users on the other hand want to move with technology. That's all part of the deal. The rate of growth is above market which means we have new folks to enjoy the Mac ecosystem with.
  • Reply 100 of 168
    Quote:

Ok OK -so Acer is doomed and all these Netbooks that keep on growing don't mean jackshit. Give me more kool-aid now- I need more !!!!!

You have made it very apparent that you don't understand the math required to talk business. I don't know why you keep trying. When confronted with that fact you are reduced to cursing, exclamation points and you're tired yarn about drinking kool aid. Do you think that convinces anyone to listen and agree with your side? You only make yourself look foolish and immature.