Mac sales grow 11.8% as Apple takes 9.4% U.S. market share

Comments

• Reply 101 of 168
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You have made it very apparent that you don't understand the math required to talk business. I don't know why you keep trying.

Post count. he's trying to catch Mel
  • Reply 102 of 168
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Not really. Acer hopes Netbooks drive other products with higher margins to offset the losses.

Would Acer swap their netbook sales for iPhone sales? yah...i think so. Apple doesn't need netbooks.
  • Reply 103 of 168
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It's called market share. look it up- I don't have time to explain it to a NEWBEE.

At least take the time to learn it for yourself!
  • Reply 104 of 168
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Would Acer swap their netbook sales for iPhone sales? yah...i think so. Apple doesn't need netbooks.

What do we mean by netbook other then a cheap POS laptop. The things that matter are does it fit in our pocket, does it fit in our backback, or does it sit on the desk and never move. Does weight matter? Or is it a combination? Don't let the analyst tell us what to buy or for that matter techstud. Buy what fits your needs and see where the numbers fall. My guess is Apple is serving a ever bigger audience and most are very happy
  • Reply 105 of 168
    Quote:

Dude, Netbooks are leading the industry , not MacBook Airs. Get real.

Right, leading the race to the bottom. No thanks, TeckDud, I'll sit this one out.
  • Reply 106 of 168
    Quote:

I am I am- we love our apple prods. but I refuse to not call something that is selling and infiltrating every aspect of society a flop. Look at every kid going to school with a netbook. why aren't they lugging an Apple around, brucep? tell me- why?

Remember when everybody and their dog was carrying a Sony Walkman around? Where are they now? In a landfill?, buried in the garage? TeckDud, I know that you're not this stupid, so why are you acting like it? ....... Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, maybe you are this stupid.
  • Reply 107 of 168
    Quote:

Ok OK -so Acer is doomed and all these Netbooks that keep on growing don't mean jackshit. Give me more kool-aid now- I need more !!!!!

You don't need more kool-aid ... you need more brain cells, or at least the ability to use the ones you got.
  • Reply 108 of 168
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You have made it very apparent that you don't understand the math required to talk business. I don't know why you keep trying.

He has enough posts here that new posters and readers to this forum may not realize that he does not represent the average poster or human being. They may see his high post count and constant presence on a thread and decided to go elsewhere to post relevant, insightful information thinking that he represents AI community. That would be a shame. At least NonVendorFan/SeaHawkFan keeps getting banned often enough to require making a new username.

Quote:

And he will. Most of the regulars and frequent posters will take time to think about and write out thoughtful replies. As well as use the multiquote option. Compared to Teckstud's singular, empty rambling that could easily fit within an IHateApple Twitter of 140 characters and at a speed that would give a Howitzer machine gun a run for its money.
  • Reply 109 of 168
    Quote:

I WOULDN'T LAUGH AT 48.3% GROWTH IF I WERE YOU- looks rather FOOLISH.

Acer's quarterly profits - $107 million

Apple's quarterly profits - $1.23 Billion - before the adjustments that show the actual iPhone revenues taht bring it to $1.9 billion

Acer's year over year revenue growth - 5%

Apple's year over year revenue growth - 12% (again, before the adjustments)

Apple's results are from the the 2nd calendar quarter. The 3rd quarter results will be announced Monday. Projections are those results will show a 13.5% revenue growth and 16% earnings growth.

Acer made just $107 million on sales of $5.2 billion.

What good is 43% unit growth if those units aren't generating significant profits?
  • Reply 110 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Acer made just $107 million on sales of $5.2 billion.

What good is 43% unit growth if those units aren't generating significant profits?

Nicevway to put it into perspective, but I have a feeling it will fall on deaf ears.

PS: I think Apple's break-even service to help forward HW sales, the iTunes Store, likely did more than that in net profit.
  • Reply 111 of 168
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yes I am, that was my point. When comparing HW sales each company should be accounted for seperately, not lumping them all into one giant conglomerate simply because they don't run OS X natiely.

But that 's the point. It's an industry trifurcated by the three major OS's.

It's looked at as Windows sales, Mac sales, and if it were possible to actually count the number of Linux users properly, Linux sales.

It makes no sense to compare Apple to Dell, or Hp, or Acer.

If someone buys a Dell and isn't happy with it (perish the thought!), they can easily buy an Hp next time, knowing that all of their stuff will transfer over easily. no big deal.

But it IS a big deal to move to a Mac. Not as big a deal as it used to be, but a big one nevertheless.
  • Reply 112 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

What I should have asked is : What's driving Toshiba's growth in the US?

I don't know, it's not growing that much.
  • Reply 113 of 168
    Quote:

A post for the ages. Thank you , thank you, MELGROSS.

I will keep this in my archives.

You should know by now that I don't make things up. I have my opinions, but I'm not going to force them upon my daughter.

I didn't HAVE to tell people that.
  • Reply 114 of 168
    Quote:

Never!
  • Reply 115 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But that 's the point. It's an industry trifurcated by the three major OS's.

It's looked at as Windows sales, Mac sales, and if it were possible to actually count the number of Linux users properly, Linux sales.

It makes no sense to compare Apple to Dell, or Hp, or Acer.

If someone buys a Dell and isn't happy with it (perish the thought!), they can easily buy an Hp next time, knowing that all of their stuff will transfer over easily. no big deal.

But it IS a big deal to move to a Mac. Not as big a deal as it used to be, but a big one nevertheless.

That is bullucks to have a chart representing HW PC vendors that only lists 9% for Mac PC, 90% for Bon-Mac PC and 1% for Linux PCs. When talking about HW you don't meantion the OS. It's pointless, especially when the world is moving closer to more OS-agnostic computing and interconnectivity vetween OSes is at an all time high and growing.

I want to know that Dell is losing markershare, that HP is holding ground and that a couple others selling many more Budget machines that before. I don't want this simple chart you propae to actually show a slight loss in overall PC sales marketshare because Apple jumped a percentage. It's disengenuois.

Earlier you made a comment about Apple having 30% marketshare. On the OS they would still be less than half that of Windows, but they would be largest OEM in the world. And if thy are already taking 33 cents of every dollar in PC sales, what do you think they'd take with 8-10x there current worldwide marketshare? Besides not being feasible with thet current model, it not logistically possible for other reasons and still pointless to compare an oWNs sale to an OS sale ad expect to get valid answers. Different business models for HP, Dell, Acer, MS and Apple. Let's measure the aspects that are directly measurable and lieave the wonky math to the overpaid pundits.

PS: Whether they know it or not, Buying a Mac is more likely going to get your Windows files transferee over better than buying a cheap non-Mac. Apple offers this service in their stores with purchase.
  • Reply 116 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is bullucks to have a chart representing HW PC vendors that only lists 9% for Mac PC, 90% for Bon-Mac PC and 1% for Linux PCs. When talking about HW you don't meantion the OS. It's pointless, especially when the world is moving closer to more OS-agnostic computing and interconnectivity vetween OSes is at an all time high and growing.

It isn't just hardware sales. Why do you want to break it down that way? hat doesn't make any more sense.

Apple isn't really competing against any one PC hardware maker, though it may seem as though it is. They're competing against Microsoft and Windows.

It's interesting to look at individual makers, and compare the result, but it's not as meaningful as you think.

If Acer wasn't selling netbooks, and they again became a smaller company, would that make a difference to Apple if Dell gained the same amount Acer lost? Of course not. Apple would be in the same spot marketsharewise. The fact that they would move to number three is irrelevant.

Quote:

I want to know that Dell is losing markershare, that HP is holding ground and that a couple others selling many more Budget machines that before. I don't want this simple chart you propae to actually show a slight loss in overall PC sales marketshare because Apple jumped a percentage. It's disengenuois.

I'm not saying that it isn't interesting to see how the other makers are doing. I do that myself. I don't understand how you say that seeing that Apple moved up a percent in marketshare is disingenuous. I'm not proposing a simplified chart at all. I'm just saying that with a different OS, it has to be looked at differently.

Quote:

Earlier you made a comment about Apple having 40% marketshare. On the OS they would still be less than half that of Windows, but they would be largest OEM in the world. And if thy are already taking 33 cents of every dollar in PC sales, what do you think they'd take with 8-10x there current worldwide marketshare? Besides not being feasible with thet current model, it not logistically possible for other reasons and still pointless to compare an oWNs sale to an OS sale ad expect to get valid answers. Different business models for HP, Dell, Acer, MS and Apple. Let's measure the aspects that are directly measurable and lieave the wonky math to the overpaid pundits.

I don't remember saying anywhere that Apple had a 40% marketshare. Where did you get that?

I did say several things. One was that the iPhone now has a 30% marketshare in the US.

I said that within the past 100 days or so Apple laptops have garnered a 25% share of consumer sales, and I extrapolated from that, that it's possible that their desktops could have added another 10% to that.

That's not a 40% marketshare. It's not even a 35% marketshare. That's the numbers given for CONSUMER sales. Take business and government into account, and you get almost a 10% marketshare.

Quote:

PS: Whether they know it or not, Buying a Mac is more likely going to get your Windows files transferee over better than buying a cheap non-Mac. Apple offers this service in their stores with purchase.

Yes, I mentioned that.

If you use parallels, and now with ver 3, possibly VMWare, the entire PC can be transported over. Of course, upgrading from XP to 7 is still a b***h.
  • Reply 117 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Even more to the point, if you follow these numbers quarter after quarter, you will see that the Windows PC makers are constantly trading market share with each other, but that overall, the Windows PC market has been growing in only the low single digits for several years running now, which is very poor performance. Lest we forget, it's Apple against the Windows OEMs, not Apple against Acer, or Apple against Dell or HP or Toshiba. Compare meaningful things.

To be fair to the Windows market the old adage 'when you are at the top there is only one way to go--down' certainly applies. Past a certain point marketshare growth is impossible and then you have the problem of working like crazy just to keep what you have. While not definitive take a look at marketshare's numbers and note the tend is to Windows losing marketshare not gaining it.

Sure you may get a blip where Windows marketshare goes up compared to the previous month but the trend is definitely down over the long haul.
  • Reply 118 of 168
    now that is a rounding error

oopz i meant the 2 or 3 people who would have bought a new mac if it came with a matte screen. Not that I don't think you should be able to buy a matte screen.
  • Reply 119 of 168
    Quote:

I WOULDN'T LAUGH AT 48.3% GROWTH IF I WERE YOU- looks rather FOOLISH.

eh? I would if it didn't come with profit i.e. netbooks.
  • Reply 120 of 168
    Try defining the market as a value in dollar terms - what is this journalistic hang-up with how many you sell rather than your turnover and profit. Those are the real measure of your success in a business.

Do we measure a race by how many steps the runner takes to get to the finish line? No, it is who crosses it first - the bottom line.

I wonder what Apple's market share is in terms of

1. Turnover - probably 2nd or 3rd.

2. Gross Profit - very possibly 1st.

Apple made more profit from selling mobile phones in the first 6 months of 2009 than any other company in the world.