Apple profits surge 46% on record sales of 3M Macs, 7.4M iPhones

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple said Monday that fourth-quarter profits rose more than 46 percent to 1.67 billion, or $1.82 per diluted share, on sales of $9.87 billion for the three-month period ended September 26, 2009.



These results compare to revenue of $7.9 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.14 billion, or $1.26 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 36.6 percent, up from 34.7 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 46 percent of the quarter's revenue.



Apple sold 3.05 million Macintosh computers during the quarter, representing a 17 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The company also sold 10.2 million iPods during the quarter, representing an eight percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter. Quarterly iPhone sales were 7.4 million, representing seven percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter.



"We are thrilled to have sold more Macs and iPhones than in any previous quarter," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "We've got a very strong lineup for the holiday season and some really great new products in the pipeline for 2010."



In accordance with the subscription accounting treatment required by GAAP, the Company recognizes revenue and cost of goods sold for iPhone and Apple TV over their estimated economic lives. Adjusting GAAP sales and product costs to eliminate the impact of subscription accounting, the corresponding non-GAAP measures* for the quarter are $12.25 billion of "Adjusted Sales" and $2.85 billion of "Adjusted Net Income."



"We are delighted with our September quarter and fiscal 2009 results," said Apple chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer. "For the full year, we grew revenue by 12 percent and net income by 18 percent in extraordinarily challenging times. Looking ahead to the first fiscal quarter of 2010, we expect revenue in the range of about $11.3 billion to $11.6 billion and we expect diluted earnings per share in the range of about $1.70 to $1.78."



Apple will provide live streaming of its Q4 2009 financial results conference call utilizing QuickTime, Apple's standards-based technology for live and on-demand audio and video streaming. The live webcast will begin at 2:00 p.m. PDT. AppleInsider will provide live coverage.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 100
    The market likes it. AAPL up nearly 5% after hours.
  • Reply 2 of 100
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Another "rounding error", Mr. Ballmer?
  • Reply 3 of 100
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,105member
    Impressive results as always, I wonder how many Apple TV's were sold.
  • Reply 4 of 100
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Dang!
  • Reply 5 of 100
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post


    Impressive results as always, I wonder how many Apple TV's were sold.



    Doesn't matter with results like that. Who cares?
  • Reply 6 of 100
    As Strongbad would say... Holy crap!
  • Reply 7 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple said Monday that fourth-quarter profits rose more than 46 percent to 1.67 billion, or $1.82 per diluted share, on sales of $9.87 billion for the three-month period ended September 26, 2009.



    These results compare to revenue of $7.9 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.14 billion, or $1.26 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 36.6 percent, up from 34.7 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 46 percent of the quarter's revenue.



    Apple sold 3.05 million Macintosh computers during the quarter, representing a 17 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The company also sold 10.2 million iPods during the quarter, representing an eight percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter. Quarterly iPhone sales were 7.4 million, representing seven percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter.



    "We are thrilled to have sold more Macs and iPhones than in any previous quarter," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "We've got a very strong lineup for the holiday season and some really great new products in the pipeline for 2010."



    In accordance with the subscription accounting treatment required by GAAP, the Company recognizes revenue and cost of goods sold for iPhone and Apple TV over their estimated economic lives. Adjusting GAAP sales and product costs to eliminate the impact of subscription accounting, the corresponding non-GAAP measures* for the quarter are $12.25 billion of "Adjusted Sales" and $2.85 billion of "Adjusted Net Income."



    "We are delighted with our September quarter and fiscal 2009 results," said Apple chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer. "For the full year, we grew revenue by 12 percent and net income by 18 percent in extraordinarily challenging times. Looking ahead to the first fiscal quarter of 2010, we expect revenue in the range of about $11.3 billion to $11.6 billion and we expect diluted earnings per share in the range of about $1.70 to $1.78."



    Apple will provide live streaming of its Q4 2009 financial results conference call utilizing QuickTime, Apple's standards-based technology for live and on-demand audio and video streaming. The live webcast will begin at 2:00 p.m. PDT. AppleInsider will provide live coverage.



    The Mac sales are amazing.



    I also wonder how many phones they could have sold if they could keep up with demand, such as in Italy, where the vendor, selling 20,000 a month, said they could have had doubled sales for the period, another 60,000 for the quarter from them alone.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "We've got a very strong lineup for the holiday season and some really great new products in the pipeline for 2010."



    C'mon Steve, buddy ol' pal??!! Do tell! What's in that pipeline?!
  • Reply 9 of 100
    Who cares? Get onto talking about the new iMacs!!!
  • Reply 10 of 100
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    C'mon Steve, buddy ol' pal??!! Do tell! What's in that pipeline?!



    2010? Nothing more for this year? Make it not be true.
  • Reply 11 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulhkim View Post


    Who cares?



    Stockholders?
  • Reply 12 of 100
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,741member
    Record Mac sales. Record everything. But hardly a surprise.
  • Reply 13 of 100
    Shouldn't this read third quarter profits? What are you going to report about in January, Apple's fifth quarter profits?
  • Reply 14 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post


    Shouldn't this read third quarter profits? What are you going to report about in January, Apple's fifth quarter profits?



    No, Apple's fiscal year ends in September.
  • Reply 15 of 100
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Any guesses on what's fueling the increase in mac sales?



    iPhone growth is a little disappointing. Smartphones, and especially the iPhone, have grown accustomed to large double digit growth figures. Perhaps it's a wider industry trend though.
  • Reply 16 of 100
    emveeemvee Posts: 27member
    I really wonder what a "very strong lineup for the holiday season" is or will be!
  • Reply 17 of 100
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulhkim View Post


    Who cares? Get onto talking about the new iMacs!!!



    Sometimes it does seem more like AppleStockholdersInsider around here but we won't hold it against them.

    They're fine for the most part until they get obnoxious and can't comprehend anything from a consumers point of view.
  • Reply 18 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post


    The market likes it. AAPL up nearly 5% after hours.



    It topped 7% ($203.xx)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    The Mac sales are amazing.



    I also wonder how many phones they could have sold if they could keep up with demand, such as in Italy, where the vendor, selling 20,000 a month, said they could have had doubled sales for the period, another 60,000 for the quarter from them alone.



    17% increase in Mac sales is great, but I was surprised that the iPhone sales were only up 7%. I hadn?t realized they had supply issues.
  • Reply 19 of 100
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emvee View Post


    I really wonder what a "very strong lineup for the holiday season" is or will be!



    Go to the Apple Store and that appears to be it. The holiday season really began Oct 1st for retail so I don't know why they would release anything more so late at this point.
  • Reply 20 of 100
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    17% increase in Mac sales is great, but I was surprised that the iPhone sales were only up 7%. I hadn’t realized they had supply issues.



    ?? Don't you READ the AppleInsider rather than post?
Sign In or Register to comment.