Apple's new iMacs viewed as boon for sagging desktop sales

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 151
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Blu Ray is a bag of hurt for more than just licensing reasons. Apple has absolutely no desire to give their customers a NEW reason to go out and plunk down $50 US on one movie, when that same customer knows that $50 can go a lot further in the iTunes store. Including High Definition content that you can watch on your Mac.

There really is no reason for a Mac user to need Blu Ray, and there never will be.

$50? Maybe you should try Amazon.com? Looking at their bestsellers, many are under $10. That makes Blu-ray cheaper than iTunes and I don't have to pay additional for the disk space, and it is better picture quality.
  • Reply 142 of 151
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Blu Ray is a bag of hurt for more than just licensing reasons. Apple has absolutely no desire to give their customers a NEW reason to go out and plunk down $50 US on one movie, when that same customer knows that $50 can go a lot further in the iTunes store. Including High Definition content that you can watch on your Mac.

There really is no reason for a Mac user to need Blu Ray, and there never will be.

1. Blu-ray movies don't cost $50

2. The iTunes store has nothing comparable (yet)

3. Apple is a member of the Blu-ray Disk Association, included notes about Blu-ray in some iTunes documentation, allows BD burning with compressor, and some fairly reliable rumors indicated that Apple had plans to release Blu-ray equipped iMacs but nixed them just before production.

Apple obviously has an interest in providing its customers with Blu-ray and there are many reasons why a Mac owner would want it. Basically everything you said was false. My prediction is that Macs will get Blu-ray when the iTunes store transitions to 1080p. Apple will use Blu-ray to draw customers in and then present the iTunes Store as an alternative that provides greater value.
  • Reply 143 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamery View Post

Checked with the local service centres here. iMacs and MacBooks are the most problematic Apple machines. I have owned a mirrored door G4 for over 5 years. It's never seen a doctor. Same goes with my Cinema Display... [touch wood] ... Machines were designed to last ... in those days.

AppleCare is essential for notebooks and iMacs.

I've owned desktop Macs since 1992 and other than losing a couple of back up hard drives, had no significant hardware failure until the power supply on my G5 tower blew a bunch of capacitors this summer. I have a G4 from 2001, G3 from 1999, 8600 from 1997, Umax clone from 1997 and even a Macintosh SE from 1987 that all still run fine.

My only Apple notebook purchase, a first generation 500MHz white iBook, suffered a logic board failure at the age of two.

That unit taught me a couple of valuable lessons: never buy a notebook without AppleCare and never buy a notebook at all because it only ever got used on my desk at home and my desk at work. I'd have gotten just as much value out of a portable external hard drive.
  • Reply 144 of 151
    For that "desktop" experience, it would be very easy to connect a laptop to an external keyboard and a 22 inch or larger LCD. NO clunky desktop is needed.

I thought everyone was buying cheap netbooks that use "cloud computing?"

Netbooks and portable devices are the future - not clunky desktops.
  • Reply 145 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bourgoises Pig View Post

For that "desktop" experience, it would be very easy to connect a laptop to an external keyboard and a 22 inch or larger LCD. NO clunky desktop is needed.

I thought everyone was buying cheap netbooks that use "cloud computing?"

Netbooks and portable devices are the future - not clunky desktops.

According to a survey released today most people don't trust the cloud to store any of their personal data.

I have a MacBook Pro courtesy of my employer. It sits on a desk at work (with an external KB/mouse/display) or sits on a desk at home. For business use it's nice to have the same environment at home, but that could be achieved by booting off an external HD. There's no need for me to have an expensive portable computer.

For personal use any laptop would be a waste of my money because there's a desktop version of every style, including netbooks, that offer more of everything for the same price. Why settle for 15" when a superior 27" display is available at the same price with a faster processor and greater storage?

Sometimes I wish I could get information while I'm out at the store or running an errand. You know what? I can do that with an iPhone way better than with a netbook or laptop.

The perfect solution for me is a desktop and a handheld. Obviously you'd rather spend your money differently and you're free to do so.
  • Reply 146 of 151
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

His point is that there is little need to watch the latest Kate Hudson - Matthew McConaughey romantic romp in Blu ray. There are a relatively small number of movies that benefit from a large visual scope.

thank you

i will wait 5 yrs and buy bluray action flicks on the cheap
  • Reply 147 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That's only important if you require live broadcast television. Which actually has a shrinking audience. People are too busy to follow a broadcast schedule.

Virtually all scripted television is available on demand in one form or another. Before long all television content will be available on demand online. MSNBC, FOX, CNN will broadcast their news shows live online.

my cable service now mimics all the hulu features like whole seasons of past primetime tv shows on demand for free

i mean like I watch ed all the <fastforward> episoders at one sitting . and then i thought i have nothing to do

and then i got up and played some COD 2 offensive front

the digital content war is now WORLDwide thing
  • Reply 148 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Hey - lay off Kate Hudson- she's helping get the Yankees to the World Series.

she steamed up the car windows on the titanic

and then she sank the boat

the NYY could do without her

we need the dark angel chick
  • Reply 149 of 151
    Quote:

Only if you talking about current movies released today. You're still not mentioning a vast library of film that has yet and will sell enormously when it gets released. North by NorthWest gets released next month and it should do very well. Even something recent like the 10 year old Nightmare before Christmas sold incredibly last year and the upcoming Mosters Inc will look amazing. There is a huge market for older tittles. And you're still missing PBS, HBO, Discovery, Opera, etc, etc.

how many did night mare sell ??
  • Reply 150 of 151
    Quote:

No- no totally 4:3. Amazing quality . Here is the link. And it's now available without the big box extras.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35634...lanca/?___rd=1

if ya gonna spend money on past titles in blur-ray why not wait one yr after release and buy the foreign version cheap ??

sci fi box sets is one great site

the movies arrive stripped of all fancy packaging

and you just hit english button on the menu bar

i bought all 9 seasons of the x files for 175 dollars

http://www.scifiboxsets.com/catalog/...products_id=31

you have to search a bit

or even call the guy

hes a cool dude

peace 9
  • Reply 151 of 151
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

There seems to be a real interest here in something between the Mini & the Mac Pro

- the iMac - a great consumer machine, but not that great for more demanding tasks

- the Mac Pro - too expensive for all but the most affluent graphics designer

- the Mini - just not powerful enough for anything other than emails & watching dvds (ok, and doing some light server tasks)

- hmmm, what could the answer be?

Obviously to tell to tell everyone who doesn't fall into one of the two extremes that they're hopelessly misguided and don't belong on the the Mac anyway.