Exclusive photos, video from Microsoft Store grand opening

13468917

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 325
    dylerdyler Posts: 37member
    All I have to say it this is pathetic, the store looks boring and stupid!!! MS get a life, and build a decent OS!!! Oh wait we already have a decent OS from another company that is called OSX!!!!



    Microsoft needs to just go away, I am so sick of them!!!
  • Reply 102 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    I don't really see it as being a big bang for the buck either but what gets annoying is everytime MS does something people spout off they are scared of Apple or copying Apple which is a joke.



    Apple spends just as much money trying to combat MS. So maybe they are the ones that are scared. God forbid anyone say that. Lets remember who has 90% of the OS market.



    whoopee for MS 90% of the market share, so I bought my Apple shares in 1998-99 for approx. $16 per shares and now there are worth USD$ 205 per share and believe me, I bought a good amount at the time.



    So you can keep your market share and I keep a company that is performing well and putting money in my pocket and has innovative products that outperform the competition.



    I am not Apple Fanboy, but someone who enjoys innovative over exploitation and sub standard products.



    I wonder which shareholders are more happy Apple or MS



    P.S. I may look to buy some shares in Ms, since there must go up soon, the share price is very attractive, but then again what products are going to give me a ROI??
  • Reply 103 of 325
    dylerdyler Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lazy-i.com View Post


    Hmmm... I thought Microsoft already had a chain of stores:







    Love IT
  • Reply 104 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Would you rather they have shirtless guys greeting you at the door like Abercrombie 2009?



    Yeah ok good point, but did you see the size of the woman in the green shirt. Honestly, first thing you see coming in, is a ginormus women swing her arm at you. Nice.



    I still fail to see the point of this store, then again, I was really skeptical that Apple would have much success when I first heard that they were going into retail.
  • Reply 105 of 325
    It's interesting... Just thinking about how Microsoft can possibly make these stores profitable. If their real product is Windows, MS Office, etc., how can they possibly become profitable selling and servicing other manufacturer's computers? I have no inside knowledge of their projected profit margins, but this strikes me as a weakness in the retail format for MS.
  • Reply 106 of 325
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeff_b View Post


    I'm curious to see how many customers are turned away at Microsoft's "Guru Bar" due to 3-party software and hardware issues which the in-store techs cannot fix.



    I wonder if they will transfer all of your data from your Mac to a new PC when you switch to Windows. Believe it or not Apple does do the reverse of that when you buy a Mac. I was in an Apple Store and saw a really old PC on the Genius Bar and wondered wtf? Then the tech started copying the files to the new Mac. I was shocked.
  • Reply 107 of 325
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    How, because you mean your company will buy it for you instead, so that you'll stay competitive?



    You might want to rephrase that into an intelligible question.
  • Reply 108 of 325
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post


    Burger King fanboys, funny...



    Although McDonalds and Burger King have a lobby leading to a cashier that has a menu board of food items, that once you get your meal and go to the dining room area and sit at a "booth" or table with chairs to eat, you look around at the aesthetics and that's where McDonalds and Burger King try to make the "same" into their own "atmosphere".



    Whereas with Apple and MS, you have Apple for the most part introducing innovations and MS following their lead with a over hyped similar product...



    Apple Mac OS X aqua, widgets, etc. - MS OS Vista aero, gadgets, etc.

    Apple iPod and ITMS - MS Zune the Social, the Marketplace

    Apple iPhone - MS Pink

    Apple retail stores - MS retail stores with the same Apple flare



    It seems MS is styling its products so much so to mimic Apple's that I guess they hope to confuse the consumer and therefore MS will be satisfied with the crumbs (in sales) that fall off Apple's table (of success)!



    Apple has copied MS on a number of things.



    Of course, MS got the ball rolling when it ripped off the Mac badly with Windows 3.0.



    And Windows guys, feel free to jump in with the Xerox Parc stuff.
  • Reply 109 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post


    Yeah ok good point, but did you see the size of the woman in the green shirt. Honestly, first thing you see coming in, is a ginormus women swing her arm at you. Nice.



    Hey, it's just like being back at Wal-Mart... which, come to think of it, won't be happy with the new source of competition for sales at their stores. This can only anger all retailers selling MS product.
  • Reply 109 of 325
    cdyatescdyates Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post


    Also I see the store is advertising its best brand image "the blue screen"



    haha - right on - thanks for making me chuckle...
  • Reply 111 of 325
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,744member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post


    can someone please point me to the premium market. I've been hearing that Apple holds the premium market but last time I checked you can purchase or build your own PC for $2,000+ (I'm guessing "premium" comes from the price because Apple's hardware definitely isn't premium) that would wipe the floor with any Mac. And I may be mistaken but they all run Windows. So again, where is the premium market?



    It's where the consumers have decided it is, and which MS has acknowledged publicly (in media players as well) and is desperately trying to win back.



    http://www.electronista.com/articles....prem.laptops/



    And there are already plenty of link to Apple's record Mac sales this year. I think you can find those yourself.



    So get a Mac and join in the fun.
  • Reply 112 of 325
    ... there is such a thing in the retail world known as trade dress and it extends to retail store design. Its a form of intellectual property. There seems to be a lot here that treads on Apples trade dress but I can't tell from the shots what the layout is really like. What is clear though are the floor to ceiling glass fronts, open layout inside and other aspects of Apples minimalist design. Not saying that there is a clear cut legal case here but the imitation is so transparent as to be laughable and I would think, infuriating to the people who designed Apples original stores.



    People who aren't in the biz often look at stuff like that and say, whats the big deal its just some stripped down tables, a counter for the geniuses, and a plain glass front because they have never been in the position to have to design something original. When Apple came out with their store design, it was really something that had never been seen before in the malls. Very distinctive, very functional and elegant, and won lots of awards for the design firm, etc.



    All I can say is that Balmer is freaked about Apples ascendancy and it's showing with every step they take in the consumer realm and his frequent statements to the contrary. And he rails against software piracy ... what a dweeb.
  • Reply 113 of 325
    cdyatescdyates Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    It's interesting... Just thinking about how Microsoft can possibly make these stores profitable. If their real product is Windows, MS Office, etc., how can they possibly become profitable selling and servicing other manufacturer's computers? I have no inside knowledge of their projected profit margins, but this strikes me as a weakness in the retail format for MS.



    how does best buy make profits selling and servicing other manufacturers computers?
  • Reply 114 of 325
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,744member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    It's interesting... Just thinking about how Microsoft can possibly make these stores profitable. If their real product is Windows, MS Office, etc., how can they possibly become profitable selling and servicing other manufacturer's computers? I have no inside knowledge of their projected profit margins, but this strikes me as a weakness in the retail format for MS.



    I don't think even MS knows yet. MS is usually in the habit of not thinking things through before jumping in.
  • Reply 115 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post










    Best thing you've ever posted.



    By far.
  • Reply 116 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Oh right- I forgot no retail store has ever posted large pictures of their products on their walls before. Does Apple own a copyright on that? GAP anyone?



    Did you even look at the picture? The poster looks the same as Apple's iPhone Apps signs.
  • Reply 117 of 325
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,744member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post


    All I can say is that Balmer is freaked about Apples ascendancy and it's showing with every step they take in the consumer realm and his frequent statements to the contrary



    Perfectly put.
  • Reply 118 of 325
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lazy-i.com View Post


    Hmmm... I thought Microsoft already had a chain of stores:







    You forgot these:















  • Reply 119 of 325
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post


    ... there is such a thing in the retail world known as trade dress and it extends to retail store design. Its a form of intellectual property. There seems to be a lot here that treads on Apples trade dress but I can't tell from the shots what the layout is really like. What is clear though are the floor to ceiling glass fronts, open layout inside and other aspects of Apples minimalist design. Not saying that there is a clear cut legal case here but the imitation is so transparent as to be laughable and I would think, infuriating to the people who designed Apples original stores.



    People who aren't in the biz often look at stuff like that and say, whats the big deal its just some stripped down tables, a counter for the geniuses, and a plain glass front because they have never been in the position to have to design something original. When Apple came out with their store design, it was really something that had never been seen before in the malls. Very distinctive, very functional and elegant, and won lots of awards for the design firm, etc.



    All I can say is that Balmer is freaked about Apples ascendancy and it's showing with every step they take in the consumer realm and his frequent statements to the contrary. And he rails against software piracy ... what a dweeb.



    i hope they get sued and lose millions for copying
  • Reply 120 of 325
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,744member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Oh right- I forgot no retail store has ever posted large pictures of their products on their walls before. Does Apple own a copyright on that? GAP anyone?



    Teck, the copying going on here is blatant. MS' intent here is painfully obvious. MS has a massive inferiority complex when it comes to Apple, and it's affecting their every move. It's as if they've lost the capacity for original thought.



    MS is absolutely obsessed with Apple's rise. Ballmer can't stop talking about them. It's going to manifst itself physically, and it ha been for years. This store is just another example of it, and a bizzarely obvious one at that.
Sign In or Register to comment.