Apple targets 3 new Get a Mac ads at Windows 7 (with videos)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post

Can you please explain to me, with this slew of terrible releases why Windows holds a 95% market share

So MS have 95% market share, but Apple is worth nearly as much as MS today in terms of market capitalisation. ROI for me is looking much better at Apple, then MS, since shareholders have more confidence in Apple contining its profitable strategy then MS. (actaully on 21st October 2009 Apple had market capitalisation bigger then Google).

You have 95% market share, but your profits are looking lousy, you can not convert your new releases into big successes because of poor implementation and not listening to your customers (I have left out Win 7, since just be released and have open mind about that OS).

You seem to be attacking your minority competitor, since you do have 95% marketshare in OS market and should not be worried, but you still copy their strategy belittle their innovative products and make dumb ass comments from MS CEO about iPhone will not be a hit, since it costs USD$500.

TO top that off you are leading designer in the mouse market and you allowed your minority competitor to provide the most innovative mouse to even be release for the consumer market.

You keep up with your slogan '95% market share" so happy for you.
  • Reply 62 of 371
    Windows 7 is a worthy upgrade, no doubt about it. But one thing it won't do is switch people back.

For those who have switched, they are probably dual booting, and will no doubt come to realise that windows 7 is still windows.

I've switched back with jag, Which was far from perfect, I hadn't used windows since untill 2 months back when i tried vista and then got the 7 beta. Since using all the different version's of window's i can honestly say that windows 7 still has that distinct windows feel to it. When i say that i mean the feel of your computer slowing down as it's grinding the HD, Thrown in with an uneasy feeling of 'it's gonna break'.
  • Reply 63 of 371
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

I think Apple should just ignore Windows 7.

But, what do I know.

Totally agree. Apple is really running scared - so obvious. Has any company ever attacked another product this soon - in ad history? I would expect a stock drop today.
  • Reply 64 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

OSX was a better OS upon the next version. Win98 wasn't, and WinME certainly wasn't. WinXP was the first consumer OS from Microsoft since 3.1 that didn't crash daily, but then malware ensued on that OS and all of a sudden Win2k sucked as well. Vista? Does Dell wanting to sell XP as a "downgrade" mean anything to you?

One fulfilled their promises. Microsoft NEVER DOES. And we are still waiting for Longhorn.

Dude - do you know how many Fortune500 companies use Windows XP today???

I rest my case.
  • Reply 65 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cybermonke View Post

I hadn't used windows since unt Since using all the different version's of window's i can honestly say that windows 7 still has that distinct windows feel to it. When i say that i mean the feel of your computer slowing down as it's grinding the HD, Thrown in with an uneasy feeling of 'it's gonna break'.

Sounds like a Mac running Flash.
  • Reply 66 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The 27" iMac is good for at least 5 years because even when you get tired of it after 1 or 2 years you have a 27" LED-backlit *IPS* display. Unlike the current cheapo PC screens which go straight into landfill for plastic rubbish after a few years.

I would't say that- I can't run Windows 7 on my 3 year old Mac, Apple has announced. So it kind of obsolete- really.
  • Reply 67 of 371
    The broken promises ad is one of the best Apple did in my opinion.

It is both funny and true.

• Reply 68 of 371
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Oh and clocked my 2nd boot up on W7.... 19 seconds, not bad if I say so

That's good news, you'll be doing that a lot.
  • Reply 69 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

how do you spell p-a-t-h-e-t-i-c

t-e-c-k-s-t-u-d
  • Reply 70 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

t-e-c-k-s-t-u-d

you really love spelling out my name - don't you?

It's too early to play "catch the annoymouse" game.

Pathetic is when you need to attack a product that's not even 24 hours old! SJ must be going nuts now- his worst nightmare: A Microsoft OS that has universally received rave reviews and all the PC manufacturers ramping up behind it. Oh well 10% was good while it lasted. Apple was a better company anyway when it had 5-7 % market share.
  • Reply 71 of 371
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    You are not putting much of a fight there, mate. OK, realistically:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Well first is your PC more quiet than the new iMac?

I have high end fans in my PC, and some solid passive cooling; it is very quiet. I don't know if Macs are more quiet - they might be, not having quad core and 3 hard drives in the case, but I do know my PC will never-ever overheat, even when I put new ATI 5870 any day soon. Can you swap graphics card on your iMac, add more hard drives, by the way?

Quote:

Second, is your screen bigger than the iMac?

My screen is 24" at present, but again - if I decide I need more, I will swap screen, not whole computer. Since my custom-built PC and HP notebook didn't cost much as 24" iMac, I think I got lotsa screen for the money.

Quote:

Third, did your PC come with a wireless Magic Mouse and wireless keyboard?

My PC has wireless Logitech full size keyboard and mouse, and thanks God for that. All matter of taste, don't try selling it as general rule.

Quote:

Fourth, is your PC environmentally friendly?

My PC is in aluminium case, and insides are pretty much the same as any other computer insides. When I decide to get rid of it, I'll take it to computer disposal plant anyway, where it will be recycled. We care about such things here in New Zealand, and one can be environmentally friendly with any computer.

Quote:

Fifth, how long do you think your PC's lifetime will be?

I have at present 8 perfectly healthy PCs in my house. Of course they are not all in use but all work properly. Oldest is almost 10 years old Toshiba Satellite 1000 with [email protected]. Second oldest is around 6 years old Celeron desktop. My media PC is single core AMD64, around 4 years old. My previous PC, dual core AMD, is 3 years old and used by my wife now. My present PC will be used for next 3-4 years by me, then will go to my wife for another few years. And your point is..?

Quote:

Personally I'm tired of naming things but hopefully I made my point.

No, not really. Sorry.
  • Reply 72 of 371
    buccibucci Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Dude - do you know how many Fortune500 companies use Windows XP today???

I rest my case.

...and the public sector. But I think that's more of an indicator of how bad Vista is/was.
  • Reply 73 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

The fact that what Apple with OSX had for the past 9 years was better than anything else that Microsoft had, in contrast with the fact that Microsoft never delivered on any of its promises, failed to deliver Longhorn, EVER, is the point of those ads.

Anyone can build a PC for cheap buddy. Try building some for a living and

1. See how many people rather buy a $300 POS emachines instead.

2. How much money you will never make after supporting them.

Win7 is better than OSX? After copying the dock, their desktop compositing, and not implementing anything save for pinning and snaps? Did the registry magically disappear? Err, OK, tried Win7, didn't notice any diff btw that and Vista SP1 or 2.

Poor Apple. All they have left is their untouchable boot times, unmatched app load times, battery life, tight integration of hardware, real person support...

Tight integration of what hardware? There are, like, 5 different hardware options for Macs. And some of them are prone to a lot of problems, like ATI 4850 in some last gen iMacs, or superdrives in Macbooks.

Who cares about boot time? My computer runs 24/7, more or less. With 8GB of RAM, most of my common applications are cached and will start in few seconds. And with Quad Core CPU, batch editing holiday photos in Lightroom is real fun.

But if your fun is rebooting computer and opening/closing apps, then, well...
  • Reply 74 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can?t stand the DIYer snobs. It?s easier than ever to build a PC but the ones that do it think it?s some monumental accomplish. I wonder if Ifail is also going to forums by other PC vendors and stating how you suck if you buy a pre-made PC.

It does seem that Mac snobism brings out the worst in DIY snobism.
  • Reply 75 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

It does seem that Mac snobism brings out the worst in DIY snobism.

now that's funny
  • Reply 76 of 371
    Quote:

Pathetic is when you need to attack a product that's not even 24 hours old!

I couldn't agree more.

Quote:

No Blu iMac- WTF?

Yet they state it's "Perfect for HD video????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! -- 10-20-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Magic mouse? Where's Cinderella? EEeeeeewwwww!!!!!!!!!!! -- 10-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:

And no matte and still ugly black border- puke. -- 10-20-2009, 12:22 PM

• Reply 77 of 371
    buccibucci Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Windows 7 is the best Windows they've made. But doesn't mean it's super fantastic. Just makes you think how anybody endured Vista. Sad, sad times, it was, with Vista.

I tested the RC of 7, and it does seem to be the best version of Windows released in some time. However that's not saying much. The fact that it's still a lot slower than XP does not impress me in the least. OS X releases make my computer run faster, Windows releases make it run slower.

I may install Windows on my Mac via bootcamp someday to play games, but I won't be installing 7 as long as it's slower than XP.
  • Reply 78 of 371
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Finally ads that say it as it is, non-pretentious and quite effective. Especially, the first one.
  • Reply 79 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post

Can you please explain to me, with this slew of terrible releases why Windows holds a 95% market share

First of all, how old are you? You don't seem to have any recollection of the past, monopoly law suits, and how much fear, hatred and loathing Microsoft has managed to collect among its customers, business partners, regular businesses, and competition.

I don't know if you understand the term monopoly either. I have been in the software industry developing on MS platforms first 10 years of it, but once MS started being so daring and screwing with the developers as well in late 90s early 2000s, I left for good. First to Java and UNIX platforms and 2 years ago to Mac OS X for personal needs at home.

I have not been so excited about a computer for decades ever since my first steps with commodore 64 and Amiga. I love the platform.

As far as I'm concerned Microsoft can die a slow painful death (which is largely happening already, since no one is afraid of Microsoft any more and they are largely irrelevant esp. in web 2.0 space).
  • Reply 80 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Tight integration of what hardware? There are, like, 5 different hardware options for Macs. And some of them are prone to a lot of problems, like ATI 4850 in some last gen iMacs, or superdrives in Macbooks.

Who cares about boot time? My computer runs 24/7, more or less. With 8GB of RAM, most of my common applications are cached and will start in few seconds. And with Quad Core CPU, batch editing holiday photos in Lightroom is real fun.

But if your fun is rebooting computer and opening/closing apps, then, well...

Funny you should say that because Windows users are commonly referred to as "reboot monkeys". I don't know how much you know about OSes, software and development, but I think even you might have noticed that PC of yours getting slower within 6 months of regular use, because of registry pollution, applications (even after uninstall leaving stuff around), disk fragmentation, rogue applications (even from Microsoft themselves) messing with your system and behaving like they own your computer rather than you etc.

This is all part of user experience, not just OS installation and initial benchmark. Any UNIX based OS is much much more resilient to user actually using it, and none of them is more polished than OS X.