Apple targets 3 new Get a Mac ads at Windows 7 (with videos)

Comments

• Reply 101 of 371
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David_In_Seattle View Post

IYou'd still amazed to know that among all the people in the US that use Internet Explorer, more than 15% have version 6.0 or older.

Funny you should mention that. I just received a company email saying that on Monday, they will begin upgrading our machines (we're on XP) to IE 7.0. We're a company with about 15,000 employees.
  • Reply 102 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can?t stand the DIYer snobs. It?s easier than ever to build a PC but the ones that do it think it?s some monumental accomplish. I wonder if Ifail is also going to forums by other PC vendors and stating how you suck if you buy a pre-made PC.

Its really not that easy to build a good PC that looks very clean on the inside with proper airflow. It is easy for someone to just throw some junk together. I build some of my own because I enjoy doing it, but honestly sometimes I wonder if its worth the hassle.

Also I will say that people make it sound like you save a ton of money building your own system and I haven't found that to really be true. Maybe at best on a high end system I save 150.00 doing it myself. That really isn't alot considering the parts I put into it.

The one main advantage to building your own is it makes it really easy to upgrade whenever you want. Also if your using good quality parts (unlike most Tier 1) systems you know you have a good chance of your system lasting a long time with limited problems.
  • Reply 103 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Dell Studio 17 (N0074502).................................MacBook Pro 15

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total : 1 049,01 €...................................1 599,00 € TVA incl.

Composants

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor ............2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

P8700 (2.53 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB,

3 MB L2 cache)

Windows® 7 �dition Familiale Premium

authentique РFran̤ais

Microsoft® Works 9.0 - French

1 year of coverage included

with your PC

17.3” High Definition+ (1600x900)........15 pouces comprend un écran

LED with TL.........................................rétroà ©clairé par LED 1440-par-900

4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel..............4Go 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2Go

DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]

1TB (5.400rpm) Serial ATA....................Disque dur Serial ATA de 250 Go

Dual Hard Drive (2x 500GB)..................(5400 trs/min)

512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570........NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Fixed Internal DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive

including Software

Primary 6-cell 56 WHr.............................Batterie intégrée

Lithium Ion battery.................................d'une autonomie de 7 heures

Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card

(802.11 b/g)

2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera......Webcam iSight

1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - European

French Documentation

N1174502

1 year of coverage included with your PC

Studio 1745 Order - France

Studio 1745 Resource DVD

(Diagnostic & Drivers)

90W AC Adaptor

Silver chainlink palm rest

– with Black Chainlink cover only

Wireless Label Pentium Dual Core

Datasafe Local 2.0 Basic

can anyone say "please format your copy and paste into English before posting"
  • Reply 104 of 371
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

can anyone say "please format your copy and paste into English before posting"

I hoped arabic numerals were commonly used both on this board and on french sites. Sorry.
  • Reply 105 of 371
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Dell Studio 17 (N0074502).................................MacBook Pro 15

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total : 1 049,01 €...................................1 599,00 € TVA incl.

Composants

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor ............2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

P8700 (2.53 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB,

3 MB L2 cache)

Windows® 7 �dition Familiale Premium

authentique РFran̤ais

Microsoft® Works 9.0 - French

1 year of coverage included

with your PC

17.3” High Definition+ (1600x900)........15 pouces comprend un écran

LED with TL.........................................rétroà ©clairé par LED 1440-par-900

4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel..............4Go 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2Go

DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]

1TB (5.400rpm) Serial ATA....................Disque dur Serial ATA de 250 Go

Dual Hard Drive (2x 500GB)..................(5400 trs/min)

512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570........NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Fixed Internal DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive

including Software

Primary 6-cell 56 WHr.............................Batterie intégrée

Lithium Ion battery.................................d'une autonomie de 7 heures

Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card

(802.11 b/g)

2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera......Webcam iSight

1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - European

French Documentation

N1174502

1 year of coverage included with your PC

Studio 1745 Order - France

Studio 1745 Resource DVD

(Diagnostic & Drivers)

90W AC Adaptor

Silver chainlink palm rest

– with Black Chainlink cover only

Wireless Label Pentium Dual Core

Datasafe Local 2.0 Basic

Ne pas utiliser OS X = Dell Studio Fail.
  • Reply 106 of 371
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

These are about as far as you can get with stretching the truth. If the public believes them, it could help a lot. However, if they find Win7 to be a big improvement (as most who have actually tried it have), then Apple stands to loose a lot of credibility.

I agree. Just judging from the reports and reviews so far, Win 7 appears to be a good product. To rag on about how crap it is might backfire. I wish Apple would drop the present I'm a Mac format and update the tone, content and style. A little more positive, please. Maybe forget about PC for a while and focus on the switchers and Mac. By all means keep the characters and keep it abstract but so far Justin Long has just been standing there. Maybe time to make him more proactive.
  • Reply 107 of 371
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

• Reply 108 of 371
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Let us hear some great examples of how Apple has been biting other people's ideas? Could you start by pointing me to where Apple borrowed the iMac idea from? Explain where it borrowed the idea of convection cooling used in a computers.

Also keep in mind there is a difference between borrowing another companies ideas and reworking them to make them exceptionally better [what Apple with the iPod], and simply copying ideas without doing any real innovation [what Microsoft did with the Zune].

Take Microsoft's new retail store. It is an exact copy of Apple's store.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Sorry you don't like the name, that's cool.

Your right building a PC is nothing because I'm not an idiot and have common sense and I don't buy typical bargain bin parts either, and god forbid something goes wrong I can fix it myself.

Where is this innovation you speak of? Last time Apple innovated was when they made the worlds first GUI, other than that they've been biting other peoples ideas just like MS has, so this is a weak argument...unless your being sarcastic then the last time they innovated was when they introduced this awesome element of Snow Leopard that deletes your info if someone logs into your guest account...no ones done that before, how innovate truly

• Reply 109 of 371
    Quote:

DAMN. New ads by Apple. This is bad it must mean that are SCARED of MS. Oh wait when Apple put out something stupid likd this they are just trying to steal thunder...LOL.
  • Reply 110 of 371
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Just giving you the attention you deserve. Isn't that why you are posting, for the attention?

Dates, times? Are you maintaining a teckstudian database of knowledge?
  • Reply 111 of 371
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Dates, times? Are you maintaining a teckstudian database of knowledge?

Someone has to. Although it *is* hard keeping up with the stuff you spew out...

BTW I've actually enjoyed Resident Evil 5 for the most part this evening. Some of us actually use and enjoy PC and Macs at the same time instead of bitching about one or the other all the time.
  • Reply 112 of 371
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

DAMN. New ads by Apple. This is bad it must mean that are SCARED of MS. Oh wait when Apple put out something stupid likd this they are just trying to steal thunder...LOL.

What are you talking about?

Apple has been putting out anti-MS ads since early 2006, taking the opportunity to trash whatever MS attempted. Did it with Vista, too.

And judging by their results, it's pretty good for "scared." May Apple continue to be "scared."
  • Reply 113 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If you didn't make yourself so obviously loud, frequent, and visible, it would be easier to stop watching you.

Something about your behavior suggests that you seem to get the jollies out of creeping yourself out.

I really don't want to know *what else* he does to himself.
  • Reply 114 of 371
    Quote:

Apple has been putting out anti-MS ads since early 2006, taking the opportunity to trash whatever MS attempted. Did it with Vista, too.

And judging by their results, it's pretty good for "scared." May Apple continue to be "scared."

Was ever an anti-Vista, anti- XP ad released less than 24 hours after their initial release? NO.

HHmmmmm- Sounds pretty scared to me.
  • Reply 115 of 371
    Quote:

Its really not that easy to build a good PC that looks very clean on the inside with proper airflow. It is easy for someone to just throw some junk together. I build some of my own because I enjoy doing it, but honestly sometimes I wonder if its worth the hassle... The one main advantage to building your own is it makes it really easy to upgrade whenever you want. Also if your using good quality parts (unlike most Tier 1) systems you know you have a good chance of your system lasting a long time with limited problems.

With a Dell casing, especially slimmer ones available nowadays, is actually not that easy to upgrade parts, plus you'd usually have to change the power supply as well for a more powerful GPU. Trying to figure out CPU upgrades may be a bit tricky as well. The latest branded PC desktops are not as easy to upgrade sometimes. Correct me if some of you have experienced otherwise.

Then if you talk about all-in-one PCs, upgradeability goes out the window as well.

Well anyways I'm GPU obsessed because nowadays I just use my PC for gaming. I like the components and my PC setup, 21.5" Samsung screen, etc. Just the case. I chose the *absolutely least ugly* case as much as I could. The DIY market has terrible, absolutely terrible, case designs.

I posted about this at length for quite a while back. There just hasn't been any middle ground between ugly towers and upgradeable, slim, powerful machines. Nvidia's good GPUs, are MASSIVE. Look at the GTX260 and 280 etc. And their next generation, the supposed Fermi, is more designed for large power-hungry workstation setups than anything close to consumer let alone mobile. ATI has tried to address issues at least in terms of performance-per-watt with their 5870, 5850, 5770, 5750 series. But again, a sleek, customisable, interchangeable PC system has never come about in the past 20 years of personal computing that I've been involved in.

The DIY market needs a shakeup in terms of some real innovation, going back to sleek microATX setups maybe. But maybe sometimes the DIY market wants to see big towers and lots of glowing stuff and huge CPU fans for overclocking and 2 to 4 GPUs in there. So that works against a customisable, sleek and efficient ecosystem.
  • Reply 116 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I really don't want to know *what else* he does to himself.

I don't need to. Why do you think AI has all those new flash pictureS of my look alikes adorning their home page?
  • Reply 117 of 371
    Quote:

In the last thread everyone was saying MS was scared of Apple because they decided to open a retail store. So it must work both ways, if Apple is launching these ad the same week MS launches a new OS then must mean Apple is scared of MS.
  • Reply 118 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

With a Dell casing, especially slimmer ones available nowadays, is actually not that easy to upgrade parts, plus you'd usually have to change the power supply as well for a more powerful GPU. Trying to figure out CPU upgrades may be a bit tricky as well. The latest branded PC desktops are not as easy to upgrade sometimes. Correct me if some of you have experienced otherwise.

Then if you talk about all-in-one PCs, upgradeability goes out the window as well.

Well anyways I'm GPU obsessed because nowadays I just use my PC for gaming. I like the components and my PC setup, 21.5" Samsung screen, etc. Just the case. I chose the *absolutely least ugly* case as much as I could. The DIY market has terrible, absolutely terrible, case designs.

I have never tired to upgrade a PC that was build by someone else. Any PC that I have upgraded has been one I build myself from the ground up. You are corrects its hard to upgrade something like a Dell computer because you don't always know what kind of motherboard they have used, you almost always get a cheap power supply that won't handle any upgrades or a decent GPU. I am also GPU obsessed in some cases I am running triple sli with three 285 nvidia cards. As far as cases I almost always use cases from Velocity Micro because they have some really good quality extented length cases that fit everything nice and clean with good airflow.
  • Reply 119 of 371
    Quote:

i think ripping off the way microsoft did the apple stores maxed out the stupidity quota for yesterday...
  • Reply 120 of 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skittlebrau79 View Post

Also, the iMac is hardly eco-friendly. Just because Apple says it doesn't mean squat. An all-in-one like the iMac is probably the worst thing for the environment because the massive 27" display will be good for 10 years, but the computer won't be used for more than 3.

Not true. The 27" imac screen can be used as a display for another device by simply using the imac 27" display as one of your output devices by utilizing the mini diasplay port input bypassing the imacs processor. In 3 years when you have another processor that you want to use substitute for the imac guts, the display is clearly salvageable.

Plus most mac's generally have a longer useful life than 3 years.