Apple predicted to sacrifice 'sweetheart' AT&T deal for Verizon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It is superior- FACT.

and Verizon's had nothing to do with that. Consumers and tech reviewers everywhere have stated and documented it over and over and over.

Maybe yours works for you in AppleLand but facts are facts and nothing but.

well, 82 million US subscribers must think it's good enough to use. Get over it.

ps - the average consumer doesn't read tech reviews - they watch TV, where they are bombarded with "it's the network" and "there's a map for that" advertising - so, yes, verizon certainaly has something to do with that.
  • Reply 22 of 194
    Apple already has stated several times it doesn't see any sense in investing in making a CDMA network handset because nearly the whole world is on GSM and CDMA is nearing end of life. Verizon is moving to LTE, a next generation GSM standard. That won't probably happen until 2011.

I see the iPhone going to T-Mobile for Verizon or Sprint. Apple & AT&T never expected exclusivity to last forever. Apple wanted an exclusive partner so both would work to together in innovating ne services such as visual voicemail and App store etc. Since AT&T was GSM, it made sense to build a GSM iphone because it works on 95% of the worlds networks
  • Reply 23 of 194
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Wrong. My AT&T 3G coverage is excellent, almost everywhere I go. As much recognition as Apple gets for their marketing, Verizon deserves a lot of credit for convincing people their network is, as a matter of indisputable fact, superior to AT&T.

In several key aspects Verizon?s network is better than AT&T. Some of it due to the companies themselves, while in other ways it?s the underlying technology difference. That said, AT&T and the network also have their pluses, it?s not an all or nothing situation as some want to believe.
  • Reply 24 of 194
    "I really don't see how Apple is going to continue to lure people away from other carriers to AT&T when Verizon clearly has far better 3G coverage."

Spoken as either a New Yorker or San Franciscan. Coverage is already more than adequate for the vast majority of AT&T customers. They're working on fixing those two urban cores that have crappy service. The rest of us don't really see why we should pay Verizon's higher fees. We don't see any additional benefit.
  • Reply 25 of 194
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

well, 82 million US subscribers must think it's good enough to use. Get over it.

ps - the average consumer doesn't read tech reviews - they watch TV, where they are bombarded with "it's the network" and "there's a map for that" advertising - so, yes, verizon certainaly has something to do with that.

Get over what- your misinformation? Gladly.

This didn't just happen and consumers actually communicate with each other and are actually smarter that you think. And as for being bombarded with advertising- what's your excuse for "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads yet only 10% marketshare.
  • Reply 26 of 194
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Egocentric View Post

...which is likely to happen anyway once Congress forces the carriers to do away with the exclusivity deals.

Congress can't force Apple to make a CDMA based iPhone though, so even without exclusivity deals, hardware manufacturers can still target the carriers they want. Lets face it, until LTE networks go global, Apple is unlikely to make an iPhone that will work on Verizon's network. 2011 at the earliest...
  • Reply 27 of 194
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

what's your excuse for "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads yet only 10% marketshare.

Premium product in a Premium market sector. Sales on margin rather than volume. High demand + high price. This is a deliberate strategy by Apple.

Pretty simple economics, Teck.
  • Reply 28 of 194
    Quote:

Get over what- your misinformation? Gladly.

This didn't just happen and consumers actually communicate with each other and are actually smarter that you think. And as for being bombarded with advertising- what's your excuse for "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads yet only 10% marketshare.

What misinformation? I have no problem with my iPhone 3G. AT&T has 80million subscribers - are they all masochists who choose to suffer with crappy service for the heck of it? Sorry if New York and San Fran suck, that's inexcusable on AT&Ts part. However, the vast majority of people are satisfied with their AT&T service. The iPhone is only 4% of their post-paid customer base - what are the other 96% of people doing wasting their time on a "crap" network?

What's my excuse for Get a Mac ads and only 10% market share? Well, what was market share before the get a mac ads? 3%? 4%? I'll take a 250-300% growth in market share if i'm Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Premium product in a Premium market sector. Sales on margin rather than volume. High demand + high price. This is a deliberate strategy by Apple.

So everybody who's seen the ads that can't afford an Apple walks into a store, shakes their head, and then walks away? YEAH RIGHT? Wanna buy the Brooklyn Bridge? Simple transaction Quad, really.
  • Reply 30 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

why would you bother using such logic with teckdud?
  • Reply 31 of 194
    Quote:

What misinformation? I have no problem with my iPhone 3G. AT&T has 80million subscribers - are they all masochists who choose to suffer with crappy service for the heck of it? Sorry if New York and San Fran suck, that's inexcusable on AT&Ts part. However, the vast majority of people are satisfied with their AT&T service. The iPhone is only 4% of their post-paid customer base - what are the other 96% of people doing wasting their time on a "crap" network?

What's my excuse for Get a Mac ads and only 10% market share? Well, what was market share before the get a mac ads? 3%? 4%? I'll take a 250-300% growth in market share if i'm Apple.

Again you're wrong , the share was 7-8%. Stop distorting things. Yeesh!
  • Reply 32 of 194
    Quote:

why would you bother using such logic with teckdud?

Oh here we go- personal attacks. Love it. You loose the debate and resort to that. Typical.
  • Reply 33 of 194
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Verizon however says nothing about the speed of their 3G network. AT&T has a faster 3G network and its getting faster every year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Egocentric View Post

I really don't see how Apple is going to continue to lure people away from other carriers to AT&T when Verizon clearly has far better 3G coverage.

• Reply 34 of 194
    I agree with the "Apple is a control freak, Verizon is a control freak" it won't work because neither of them will bow down to the other.

I used to be a Verizon customer and loved their coverage. Now that I have been on ATT for a couple of years I am happy with less coverage but more freedom and a consistent bill. My bill is the same every month. On Verizon, it was a guessing game and they could never answer why it was changing.

If Verizon picks up the iPhone after releasing the iDon't commercial, it would basically make them hypocrites. How can they bash something that they want so bad unless they can't get it. My guess is that there were negotiations and Verizon got their feelings hurt over control issues. They lost the iPhone once (in the beginning) and they have lost it again.

Last, why would Apple make an iPhone to work on Verizon's network when a majority of the world uses GSM? Kind of a no brainer. Verizon needs to join the rest of the world so they can play well with others.
  • Reply 35 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Verizon however says nothing about the speed of their 3G network. AT&T has a faster 3G network and its getting faster every year.

What about dropped calls? static calls?
  • Reply 36 of 194
    If this does end up happening (iPhone coming to Verizon) I just hope it won't crap out my already great service!
  • Reply 37 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, this is the surest sign that this "analysis" is bunk. The iPhone is the phone everyone wants (see yesterdays AI article on iPhone gains against Blackberry) and the carriers aren't going to be able to dictate the subsidy.

Exactly! End of discussion!
  • Reply 38 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

I agree with the "Apple is a control freak, Verizon is a control freak" it won't work because neither of them will bow down to the other.

I used to be a Verizon customer and loved their coverage. Now that I have been on ATT for a couple of years I am happy with less coverage but more freedom and a consistent bill. My bill is the same every month. On Verizon, it was a guessing game and they could never answer why it was changing.

If Verizon picks up the iPhone after releasing the iDon't commercial, it would basically make them hypocrites. How can they bash something that they want so bad unless they can't get it. My guess is that there were negotiations and Verizon got their feelings hurt over control issues. They lost the iPhone once (in the beginning) and they have lost it again.

Last, why would Apple make an iPhone to work on Verizon's network when a majority of the world uses GSM? Kind of a no brainer. Verizon needs to join the rest of the world so they can play well with others.

Great post. Thanks- we've both been there.
  • Reply 39 of 194
    Quote:

Oh here we go- personal attacks. Love it. You loose the debate and resort to that. Typical.

Right and telling people they're fanbois and to go drink their Koolatra brews is so above that

By the way learn how to spell lose.
  • Reply 40 of 194
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

So everybody who's seen the ads that can't afford an Apple walks into a store, shakes their head, and then walks away?

Yes. If you're unable to afford a Mac you'll either:

a) wait until you can

b) get something else