iTunes 9.0.2 connects with Apple TV 3.0, kills Palm Pre sync

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Just how is it cheating? My Logitech Squeezebox Duet syncs with iTunes. Is that cheating, too?

Do you not realize that Apple does not encrypt the iTunes DB files and doesn?t hide the media from being used by other apps. There are plenty of programs on the up-and-up that connect to sync with the iTunes DB. They do not access the iTunes app and pretend to be an iPod because they were too lazy to build there own app. They are not breaking the USB-IF?s rule of correctly displaying what device you are.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

This kind of behavior gives me less and less respect for Apple. Apple wants to be able to run their hardware on Windows and wants Windows to 'play nicely' with their software, but when the tables are turned and Palm wants to merely sync with iTunes, Apple cries like a child, takes its ball and goes home.

You obviously don't understand the issue, or don't care to. Nothing is stopping Palm from making or licensing an app that syncs with iTunes just fine. Other companies do that, and Apple merrily lets them. These apps let Blackberries, Sonys, Creatives, etc. easily sync.

With Palm, the Pre fools iTunes into thinking that it's an iPod. This is hacking, and in another context could get you time in jail.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Donathius View Post

You know...I was just thinking, this might be more than just Apple saying "You can't play in our sandbox." If Apple doesn't actively prevent Palm from directly syncing with iTunes, it can be seen as tacit approval. Said approval implies support. Which then places Apple in the position of having to field support requests/issues relating to syncing a third party device.

To me it's similar reasoning as that shown by Apple in the way they do Boot Camp. Windows is not a build to order option with a computer purchased from Apple mainly because as the OEM they would then have to provide the tech support. In the case of Boot Camp they're a hardware manufacturer and that's it. They provide drivers. If you have problems with Windows on your Mac it's not in Apple's court (generally).

you are so correct apple should support palm pre

and any one who wants in on the monopoly itunes

sadly apple is now worse than msft

my iphone is a frisbee

<<<< my best teckstud imatation while he is banned >>>
  • Reply 24 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'm not sure which is more funnier, the Pre drama or the Psystar drama.

haha superb post.

I d let palm sync with iTunes if I were apple, you are getting people used to and connected via your own platform and you are thus enabling them to sometime switch over to the iPhone since they are so well versed with it. You are not alienating them either thinking they are refused, although rightly so, people being people and always having a sense of entitletement some of them might even blame apple. Also you are throwing dust in the eyes of palm by letting them think they shouldn't try harder for their own platform. I think it's the wrong choice to not let them sync with iTunes, I feel quite sure about that.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

my iphone is a frisbee

HAHA And nice signature. Unfortunately, he?s back as mrkoolaid.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I think it's the wrong choice to not let them sync with iTunes, I feel quite sure about that.

If Apple did let the Pre sync with iTunes then they'd have to let everyone else as well. That would erode iPod and iPhone sales and create a support nightmare for Apple. Right or wrong, I think it's better for Apple to stand their ground.
  • Reply 27 of 92
    Quote:

haha superb post.

I d let palm sync with iTunes if I were apple, you are getting people used to and connected via your own platform and you are thus enabling them to sometime switch over to the iPhone since they are so well versed with it. You are not alienating them either thinking they are refused, although rightly so, people being people and always having a sense of entitletement some of them might even blame apple. Also you are throwing dust in the eyes of palm by letting them think they shouldn't try harder for their own platform. I think it's the wrong choice to not let them sync with iTunes, I feel quite sure about that.

I thought that when Palm first did it, and that part of your argument is sound. Syncing to the iTunes DB files without accessing iTunes isn?t good for business. The problem comes when other devices try to sync with iTunes. Apple may then be required to support these other devices in some way. There is also a problem if people buy iTunes Store videos and apps, and then wonder why they don?t sync to their device. Yes, they would be idiots, but they may have a case. Apple already has enough foolish lawsuits, they may be just trying to keep it simple.
  • Reply 28 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

my iphone is a frisbee

they banned techstud? why? we ve all got him on the ignore list. Btw why isn't this guy over the macrumors forums. That's the type of senseless den where his likes usually go. There is a guy over there going by the name of a gay adult "performer" and cokehead Aiden Shaw who will love to budfy up and match wits with tecstud: same non sequitors, crass attitude and Microsoft apologetic rants. And oh there are many more such types at macrumors, many many more. But come to think about it I wouldn't like segragating tecstud out of these forums, he s got a right to his opinion, and of course there's the ignore list.
  • Reply 29 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I thought that when Palm first did it, and that part of your argument is sound. Syncing to the iTunes DB files without accessing iTunes isn?t good for business. The problem comes when other devices try to sync with iTunes. Apple may then be required to support these other devices in some way. There is also a problem if people buy iTunes Store videos and apps, and then wonder why they don?t sync to their device. Yes, they would be idiots, but they may have a case. Apple already has enough foolish lawsuits, they may be just trying to keep it simple.

@rob too.

I can see the point you are making. It's a pandoras box and by them taking a clear stance they are nipping it in the bud. That said I can see a more moderate position of the allowing the palm to sync just out of courtesy and with a big disclaimer every time it syncs of the pifalls: something along the lines of apple allows other vendors to sync out of a spirit of plurality bu in no way supports or warranties the syncing processes. Of course like you said there are legal issues involved that I am scarcely aware of that might render this a losing proposition or a backdoor to all sorts of "bags of hurt" .
  • Reply 30 of 92
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brucep

my iphone is a frisbee

Damn i was having Nam like flashbacks then... you weren't there man...you weren't there..... techspuds in the trees man!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

HAHA And nice signature. Unfortunately, he?s back as mrkoolaid.

HAH well that explains a lot. I was wondering why he had been so quiet of late and this new guy was being so vocal.

Oh yeah Apple good, Palm bad blah blah blah.

See you in 2 months for the same forum posts for 9.0.3 when that comes out.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    When is the USB-IF ever going to take real action against Palm? Their 7 days is long gone.
  • Reply 32 of 92
    While I find it hilarious some of you get your panties in a bunch anytime someone dares give it back to Apple there are solutions for you Pre owners out there (I should know I own one)

1. Have to use iTunes? Don't update!

2. Freakin' use drag-n-drop in USB mode!

3. Doubletwist!
  • Reply 33 of 92
    Quote:

they banned techstud? why? we ve all got him on the ignore list. Btw why isn't this guy over the macrumors forums. That's the type of senseless den where his likes usually go. There is a guy over there going by the name of a gay adult "performer" and cokehead Aiden Shaw who will love to budfy up and match wits with tecstud: same non sequitors, crass attitude and Microsoft apologetic rants. And oh there are many more such types at macrumors, many many more. But come to think about it I wouldn't like segragating tecstud out of these forums, he s got a right to his opinion, and of course there's the ignore list.

Wow... between your fear of homosexuals and anyone who might enjoy a little MS love once in awhile I'd have to say you're going on my ignore list.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

So a few teeth. What happens if Palm continues to disregard this, and continues to use USB in their marketing? Does USB-IF have to sue to stop use?

I would think that Palm would want to play nice on this, since they might have another device to send them in the future. Then again, if the palm fails, they might not.

I don't know for sure about USB-IF but I know that in the case of 802.11 (my father is on the IEEE board) that IEEE actually owns the copyright for wi-fi, 802.11, etc. You have to have their permission to use those terms in you product packaging, advertising, etc. If USB-IF has something similar for USB then it would be a copyright lawsuit. Palm would still be free to use the USB protocol, just not the term USB (or Universal Serial Bus for that matter).
  • Reply 35 of 92
    How do you set the background to dark, I can't seem to find the option anywhere
  • Reply 36 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bigdaddyjack21 View Post

How do you set the background to dark, I can't seem to find the option anywhere

iTunes » Preferences... » General » Grid View: ?
  • Reply 37 of 92
    Hahahhaa yup totally missed it thanks I was looking under Veiw
  • Reply 38 of 92
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Good.
  • Reply 39 of 92
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:

This kind of behavior gives me less and less respect for Apple. Apple wants to be able to run their hardware on Windows and wants Windows to 'play nicely' with their software, but when the tables are turned and Palm wants to merely sync with iTunes, Apple cries like a child, takes its ball and goes home.

Are you just trolling? Apple devoted extensive engineering resources to develop iTunes, QuickTime and Safari for Windows. They wrote their own apps to run under Windows and allow iPod owners to use a PC rather than restricting themselves to the Mac market. How does that compare to Palm Pre's refusal to write its own software but instead to make their customers rely on a hack that attempts to fool someone else's software to operate as though another vendor's product was connected? Even more egregious is that Apple provides an API for third parties to write plugins so they can use iTunes. This whole episode is just bizarre because it makes so little sense.

On the subject of "wants Windows to 'play nicely' with their software" you have to be ill informed or naive to not be familiar with Microsoft's history of dirty tricks and third party software (Lotus, Word Perfect, etc).
  • Reply 40 of 92
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Are you new here? In fact, are you new to common sense?

Palm has no license whatsoever to use iTunes. What does anything have to do with Windows on Macs??

The USB forum has already asked Palm to cut the BS, but they keep sinking to new lows. I hope the Pre fails and Palm gets absolutely buried, not because the Pre is bad (although it's the biggest anticlimax since Y2K), but because Palm is resorting to these disgusting tactics and passing on the frustration to their users. They're hoping to draw a legal battle from this, but the reality is that old Ruby is a new kind of crazy if he thinks anyone will take Palm seriously. The USB forum already rendered a clear decision on the matter, and anyone with a couple of brain cells to rub together can easily tell that Palm is celarly in te wrong.