iTunes 9.0.2 connects with Apple TV 3.0, kills Palm Pre sync

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Just how is it cheating? My Logitech Squeezebox Duet syncs with iTunes. Is that cheating, too?

I can't say for certain but I would bet that Logitech used the API for third party products to work with iTunes that I referenced in my other post. Palm has the option to do the same thing but prefers to play this odd game with their customers. I guess they hope enough people don't really know what is going on and that Apple would face some sort of backlash. The whole thing smacks of pointy hair boss thinking. Dilbert would not approve.
  • Reply 42 of 92
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

This kind of behavior gives me less and less respect for Apple. Apple wants to be able to run their hardware on Windows and wants Windows to 'play nicely' with their software, but when the tables are turned and Palm wants to merely sync with iTunes, Apple cries like a child, takes its ball and goes home.

The difference is that with "Boot Camp", a retail version of Windows has to be purchased thus putting $$ into MS pocket. ... Palm is trying to do it "on the cheap" and not even bothering to develop their own software. Other companies don't have a problem with Apple ... they can work with iTunes but Palm is trying to "sneak" in the back door ... no wonder they're in trouble. I have absolutely no sympathy for them.
  • Reply 43 of 92
    Quote:

Just how is it cheating? My Logitech Squeezebox Duet syncs with iTunes. Is that cheating, too?

It probably works with Apple's permission, (has gone through the proper channels) as do a lot of other devices, unless you hacked it.
  • Reply 44 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

you are so correct apple should support palm pre

and any one who wants in on the monopoly itunes

sadly apple is now worse than msft

my iphone is a frisbee

<<<< my best teckstud imatation while he is banned >>>

ROFLMAO ..... spot on!
  • Reply 45 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

haha superb post.

I d let palm sync with iTunes if I were apple, you are getting people used to and connected via your own platform and you are thus enabling them to sometime switch over to the iPhone since they are so well versed with it. You are not alienating them either thinking they are refused, although rightly so, people being people and always having a sense of entitletement some of them might even blame apple. Also you are throwing dust in the eyes of palm by letting them think they shouldn't try harder for their own platform. I think it's the wrong choice to not let them sync with iTunes, I feel quite sure about that.

That would be rewarding laziness and dishonesty...... not the smartest thing to do ....... I feel quite sure about that.
  • Reply 46 of 92
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

HAHA And nice signature. Unfortunately, he?s back as mrkoolaid.

If that's true, report him and they'll check the IPs. Then it becomes more than a 3 day ban.

Hopefully anyway.
  • Reply 47 of 92
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

haha superb post.

I d let palm sync with iTunes if I were apple, you are getting people used to and connected via your own platform and you are thus enabling them to sometime switch over to the iPhone since they are so well versed with it. You are not alienating them either thinking they are refused, although rightly so, people being people and always having a sense of entitletement some of them might even blame apple. Also you are throwing dust in the eyes of palm by letting them think they shouldn't try harder for their own platform. I think it's the wrong choice to not let them sync with iTunes, I feel quite sure about that.

Preventing Palm for this long and then giving in means that anyone else can do this to Apple, provided they are enough of a nuisance.

Apple needs to keep up their end of the game and send a clear message to would-be thieves and spoofers.
  • Reply 48 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

If that's true, report him and they'll check the IPs. Then it becomes more than a 3 day ban.

I did. They may have sent him a private message to stop posting, but the new name hasn?t been banned.
  • Reply 49 of 92
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

HAHA And nice signature. Unfortunately, he?s back as mrkoolaid.

i am so stupid

just like palm pre company for making world wide fools of them selves over and over and over
  • Reply 50 of 92
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

Damn i was having Nam like flashbacks then... you weren't there man...you weren't there..... techspuds in the trees man!!!

HAH well that explains a lot. I was wondering why he had been so quiet of late and this new guy was being so vocal.

Oh yeah Apple good, Palm bad blah blah blah.

See you in 2 months for the same forum posts for 9.0.3 when that comes out.

and the beat goes on my friend
  • Reply 51 of 92
    iTunes syncs more than merely music. Doesn't writing an application that reads the iTunes DB only allow them to sync audio and video? If so, they would also have to write apps that read the bookmark folder, email folder, calendar folder, address book folder and iphoto folder. So far as I know, hacking into itunes lets you get all those goodies doesn't it? Does the BB software or the Nokia software sync everything, from itunes, or do you need to run multiple syncing apps like isync along with their extra software? Palm seems to have it right if it gets everything synced over in one swoop.
  • Reply 52 of 92
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    The two issues aren't even similar. Apple will allow Palm to develop Mac compatible software that allows the Pre to Sync to a Mac. In fact, like all Mac users, it gives Palm the development tools for free with the purchase of the OS to do so. Palm, however, wants a free ride on Apple's work.

Further, Apple doesn't necessarily have a strong desire for Mac hardware to run Windows. Apple's customers, however, want it. Accordingly, it supports it. Further, Microsoft has no real issue with Windows running on a Mac because it isn't a PC hardware maker and Apple's customers are buying Windows at full retail price to run on the Mac. In other words, Apple by supporting Windows isn't stealing any Windows sales from Microsoft. It is giving Microsoft sales. In addition, Windows is an open development platform. Anybody can develop for it. Microsoft encourages that. So, Apple like any other Windows software developer can freely develop for Windows. Microsoft isn't complaining.

More to the point. Apple is a hardware manufacturer who adds value to the hardware it sells by creating appealing software that only runs on it's hardware. The Mac OS and free programs like iLife are designed to sell Macs. Apple gives you the free software to make money on the hardware.

iTunes not only is used by Apple to sell Macs, but it has made a Windows version to sell iPods and iPhones. That is the whole reason Apple spends the millions of dollars to develop the software. Before there was iPods, iTunes didn't run on Windows.

Palm essentially wants to use Apple's software for free to steal hardware sales from Apple. Why would any company voluntarily agree to that? Further, why doesn't Palm just do the work and create proper software like other vendors do [e.g. Research in Motion]?

Quote:

This kind of behavior gives me less and less respect for Apple. Apple wants to be able to run their hardware on Windows and wants Windows to 'play nicely' with their software, but when the tables are turned and Palm wants to merely sync with iTunes, Apple cries like a child, takes its ball and goes home.

• Reply 53 of 92
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    An idea from the Leftfield:

maybe this iTunes harassment by Palm is a ruse to irritate Apple (i.e. Steve Jobs) so much that it's (he's) provoked into buying Palm! Crazy but Apple does have the money!

• Reply 54 of 92
    I see Apple as turning into the big company that once again wants to control everything. I don't like it. I don't like how they lock in iPhone consumers to ATT which has terrible service. I don't like how they lock out the ability of other handsets to sync with iTunes. Apple has a great product and could make a ton more money letting other handsets sync.

It's a gut feeling right now, but I think Apple is getting too powerful and taking advantage of consumers and flexing its muscle with other companies unreasonably.

JMHO
  • Reply 55 of 92
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep channeling teckdud View Post

my iphone is a frisbee

• Reply 56 of 92
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

I see Apple as turning into the big company that once again wants to control everything. I don't like it. I don't like how they lock in iPhone consumers to ATT which has terrible service. I don't like how they lock out the ability of other handsets to sync with iTunes. Apple has a great product and could make a ton more money letting other handsets sync.

It's a gut feeling right now, but I think Apple is getting too powerful and taking advantage of consumers and flexing its muscle with other companies unreasonably.

JMHO

Apple's desire to be in charge of all the details has always been a characteristic, nothing new or recent about that. More specifically that is probably more accurately ascribed to Steve Jobs. However, the nature of the cellphone market in the US is not due to Steve Jobs. Exclusive deals with carriers is how things are done to disguise the cost of the handset and leave the poor sucker paying the premium long after the cost of the handset has been covered. Again, that is the market, not specifically Apple. Finally why is Apple the servant of other cellphone manufacturing company? Apple devotes resources to write software for their devices to work on Mac and Windows. Other companies done the same thing. As far as I know only Pre tries to impersonate another device to avoid doing the work like every other company.
  • Reply 57 of 92
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

JMHO

I think you just dont get it. Simple as that.

Apple will not benefit from allowing other products to sync to itunes. How is allowing a Pre or any other phone going to make Apple money?

Are Palm or Nokia or Samsung or one of the other large phone companies going to pay Apple a royalty? NO

Are these companies going to increase their HARDWARE sales by syncing to iTunes? YES

Are Apple going to be able to claim exclusivity as a reason to buy an iPhone or iPod by saying these other companies can now sync to iTunes? NO

You guys bitch about ATT and their service but fail to take into consideration that no matter what company had "exclusivity" of the iphone it was going to struggle under load.

In Australia the 2 companies that won out in the end were Vodafone and Optus. Later adding Telstra and 3 to the mix. But they had more than your fair share of issues with the connections and calls dropping out etc.

The difference being that they were forced by our government and ACCC to upgrade their service.

In the US this doesnt seem to be the case.

If you want to worry about someone being a HUGE company that has not regard for its users and is just churning out more and more crap every day take a look at Google.

They have a monopoly over search (im sorry but bing is a joke - and yahoo is basically now bing so that really helps) and there is really no one to challenge them.

They are slowly but surely integrating everything into the one simple google microcosm and eventually will have your search results come up in a chrome browser etc etc.

Hell they have what 60 trillion employees around the globe?

If each one of them is bought an Android phone by the company then suddenly market share figures get thrown right out of whack and the trend followers go chasing the next big thing in droves.

THAT is someone to be afraid of.

/Rant Mode OFF
  • Reply 58 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

Wow... between your fear of homosexuals and anyone who might enjoy a little MS love once in awhile I'd have to say you're going on my ignore list.

yeah calll me strange but I am not into drug fueled gay adult entertainers, especially when they also post whinny Microsoft adoring rants in forums. I am deeply honoured that I will be in your ignore list. Go over macrumors too, your humorless approach will be much appreciated there among the 11 year olds and the dimwits who post there.
  • Reply 59 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

An idea from the Leftfield:

maybe this iTunes harassment by Palm is a ruse to irritate Apple (i.e. Steve Jobs) so much that it's (he's) provoked into buying Palm! Crazy but Apple does have the money!

So Apple gets back some former engineers, a disgruntled ex-VP, and will be able to add that WebOS card thingy to the iPhone OS . . .

Not sure how good of a deal it would be. Might as well just use the funds to continue iPhone development.
  • Reply 60 of 92
    Apple should just allow the Pre to sync with iTunes. This is just snotty of them. It is something I would expect of Microsoft, but not Apple.