Apple advertising guru says he's 'not going anywhere'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 105
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Some heavily political comments were soft deleted. Politics has no bearing on the article, is usually too divisive, and it's too far off topic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

I thought you were banned.

It was a temporary 3 day ban.
  • Reply 82 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The only people who find them smug, arrogant, misleading, whatever, are the so-called tech savvy types who bore their acquaintances with their own smug, arrogant egos. Real users nod their heads in agreement. They have experienced the "pain and frustration" mentioned in the latest ad.

And no, solipsism, you are not one of those types. I think we all know who those are on this forum.

They may nod their head in agreement until they find out when there is a problem they have to wait months (if they are lucky) to get Apple to fix a problem. Thats what I call pain and frustration. A good example is when the aluminum iMacs first came out and Apple users have to wait four months for Apple to fix a firmware issue with the 2600 gpu. It too them three month to even admit there was a problem.

"Mac OS X 10.6.2, the forthcoming update for Snow Leopard, will update nearly 150 components of the operating system. The latest beta, released last week, addressed issues with the Dock, ColorSync, QuartzCore and graphic driver components."

10.6.2 is going to address 150 issues its not like these system don't come with pain.
  • Reply 83 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Except that inspite of them Apple is breaking Mac sales records in a recession. Continuously. If the ads aren't actually helping (which is ludicrous to assume), they're not hurting, either.

The majority of "users" aren't going to look at Apple ads "unfavourably." At worst, they're going to ignore them. It's only enthusiasts that are confined to small corners of the internet like us that have strong opinions about it.

Even an internet poll (the link you yourself posted earlier) showed your assumption was quite wrong. And that was polling mostly tech enthusiasts, if I recall correctly.

There are record breaking HD tv sales durning a recession that doesn't really tell us anything in regards to Mac sales. So if your saying the majority if users are going to ignore them then whats the point?
  • Reply 84 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

Then the vast majority of American consumers are mindless fools:

American Idol

Fox News

McDonalds

Jonas Brothers

Miley Cyrus / Hanna Montana

Kanye West

Windows

I rest my case.

This coming from someone that lives in a country that once had a dividing wall. Hmmm interresting.
  • Reply 85 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

This coming from someone that lives in a country that once had a dividing wall. Hmmm interresting.

Well, that wall has already fallen, whereas US's mind-walls ...
  • Reply 86 of 105
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

What exactly are you implying?
  • Reply 87 of 105
    Quote:

What exactly are you implying?

Was I posting to you? Go back in your corner.
  • Reply 88 of 105
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Was I posting to you? Go back in your corner.

First the politics talk and then telling people they can’t be part of the conversation despite posting in a public forum. You are coming across as a dick now,not just a poster with an alternate opinion. Let’s try to keep it more civil or I’ll turn this internet around and take you kids home. I mean it!
  • Reply 89 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

First the politics talk and then telling people you were talking to them despite posting in a public forum. You are coming across as a dic now. Let’s try to keep it more civil or I’ll turn this internet around and talk you kids home. I mean it!

Old Al will come running! He means business. Why, he has three 30-inch Cinema Displays not a foot from his face every day and he can still see!! Such a being is to be feared.

• Reply 90 of 105
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It is totally tired. Only was effective because Vista was part of the mix. They don't work anymore and look embarrassingly negative.

Embarrassingly negative? ...embarrassingly negative? .... for the love of God, have you ever even thought or looked at the crap you write almost 100% of the time? Apparently your forced vacation did nothing for your thought processes. ... Get real! ... you're fast becoming an even a bigger joke than you already were.
  • Reply 91 of 105
    Quote:

See unlike your country we rely on a strong private sector and we don't look to the government to support us. While you may hate large companies its what makes our country strong. Having a company like Microsoft fail would only mean that come company in Japan or China would take over.

Apparently, the auto workers in the "big 3", the bankers and investment dealers, which combined, have received Billions of taxpayer $$ , don't mind "looking to the government to support them".

Nothing is more wasteful than clinging to an idea that clearly does not exist any more in it's original form.
  • Reply 92 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Apparently, the auto workers in the "big 3", the bankers and investment dealers, which combined, have received Billions of taxpayer $$ , don't mind "looking to the government to support them".

Nothing is more wasteful than clinging to an idea that clearly does not exist any more in it's original form.

Those bailouts will not help the American people in fact its about he worst thing that has happened to our country. Its what happens when a government does whatever it wants and doesn't listen to the people that elected them. We are not having the same issue with it come to government run healthcare. Our government trying to force a bill down our throat.
  • Reply 93 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

First the politics talk and then telling people they can?t be part of the conversation despite posting in a public forum. You are coming across as a dick now,not just a poster with an alternate opinion. Let?s try to keep it more civil or I?ll turn this internet around and take you kids home. I mean it!

Oh I was only kidding with Quadra you know you two and newbee are my fav posters. I like debating you guys this place would be boring if everyone had the exact same option.

Im not trying to talk politics the example just happens to make a good compare and contrast sometimes when talking about things like ads.
  • Reply 94 of 105
    Quote:

Old Al will come running! He means business. Why, he has three 30-inch Cinema Displays not a foot from his face every day and he can still see!! Such a being is to be feared.

Dude I wasn't trying to come off as a dick in my last post I was only joking around. So if I offended you I apologize. You can post links to me anytime.......

You can also bash Al Gore all you want.
  • Reply 95 of 105
    Quote:

Also the average consumer isnt going to see an advantage in an Apple computer when a PC cost half the price. A person on this forum would but not your average consumer that only wants to surf the web and do some modest MS Office work.

According to recent apple comments, about 50% of all apple store new customers are switchers and I highly doubt that they are all "people on this forum". In the last year alone, I found out about three different people that I know who have switched and nobody was more surprised than me because in all cases they are people that only "surf the web and do some modest MS Office work."

The interesting thing is that 2 out of 3 of them since have expanded their horizons now to include different things they like to do ... all because the experience was so easy they weren't afraid to "try new things"..... like most things in life, ... the more you learn, the more you want to learn and Apple makes it easy to learn.
  • Reply 96 of 105
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Certain people missed the memo, political talk is way off topic for this thread. Infractions will be dealt if it continues.
  • Reply 97 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Certain people missed the memo, political talk is way off topic for this thread. Infractions will be dealt if it continues.

I got the memo now. No more political talk from these fingers.
  • Reply 98 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

According to recent apple comments, about 50% of all apple store new customers are switchers and I highly doubt that they are all "people on this forum". In the last year alone, I found out about three different people that I know who have switched and nobody was more surprised than me because in all cases they are people that only "surf the web and do some modest MS Office work."

The interesting thing is that 2 out of 3 of them since have expanded their horizons now to include different things they like to do ... all because the experience was so easy they weren't afraid to "try new things"..... like most things in life, ... the more you learn, the more you want to learn and Apple makes it easy to learn.

Actually most people aren't full switchers they are like me, they work off both platforms. It was even reported here that 85% of Apple users also have a PC in their home. Some people may totally convert over time but most just don't throw out every PC in their house and go out and buy all Macs.

For my cell phones I use a blackberry, of course I use ipods for my digital music I dont even put music on my phone, for desktop I prefer a PC because it suits more of my needs and for moble computing I use macbook pros. I buy based on one I feel I need not based on the company.
  • Reply 99 of 105
    Quote:

My point is attack ads to most are childish and overall the general population does not respond well to them.

Extremeskater, to be honest, when you and others who have a history of coming on to this, an Apple fan site, and attacking everything and anything Apple, .... are you not guilty of doing the very same thing you are accusing Apple of doing in it's adds?
  • Reply 100 of 105
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Call me naive, but unless something is qualified by an appropriate smiley that suggests otherwise (or suggests a nuance) or something is obviously, say, meant as sarcasm, I truly assume that people are being serious and honest when they post.

Hint- It has 4 bold faced explanation marks.