Apple rumored to disable Atom support with Mac OS X 10.6.2

Comments

• Reply 61 of 229
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,908member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cheesy mogul View Post

I don't think you can call someone a thief, who takes the effort to figure it out how to run his favorite OS on a computer model category Apple is obviously too lazy to offer!

My are we feeling entitled today. Let me guess Gen-X? Gen-Y maybe?

A hacker took the effort to figure out TJ Maxx's computer system and retrieved credit card information that he was not authorized to take. Also not a thief? After all, per your criterion, he 'took the effort' to figure it out and that gives him all sorts of privileges.
  • Reply 62 of 229
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    My bet is X.7-X.8 will work smoothly on below-1.0GHz processors
  • Reply 63 of 229
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I would rather have a deeper penetration...SNIP

Nice

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

My are we feeling entitled today. Let me guess Gen-X? Gen-Y maybe?

A hacker took the effort to figure out TJ Maxx's computer system and retrieved credit card information that he was not authorized to take. Also not a thief? After all, per your criterion, he 'took the effort' to figure it out and that gives him all sorts of privileges.

Dude, that's sooooo lame. Let me guess; Old fogie?
  • Reply 64 of 229
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Could it be that one reason Apple is steering clear of this low margin business is that the excellent customer service and support that is an important component of the Apple brand reputation costs money and without higher margins there's no way Apple can offer the same service and support to netbook customers thus ruining a brand reputation that took years and billions to establish?

Even if Apple relelased a Netbook for $700 as opposed to Windows $400 I think it would be classy and the public would have supported it. But Apple apparently thinks that margin is not enough or those machines aren't powerful enough to back them . The public however has proven Apple wrong. Netbooks are everywhere.
  • Reply 65 of 229
    Quote:

True- but they could have made a lot more and more importantly penetrated the OS deeper. It will be a lot harder now that Windows 7 has a lot of support behind it - more than Vista. I may just be buying my first Windows 7 PC for $500 after seeing all those Best Buy models in yesterdays flier. There are some pretty good deals out there now.

7 is definitely an improvement over Vista, but quite honestly I don't see a huge difference. The only reason I bought it is because I got it for cheap from Amazon (pre-order).
  • Reply 66 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

So, sell an Atom based netbook for 600 bucks. Margins kept in hand

I bet if you write Mr. Jobs and promise that you and your three best buddies will buy one each, they'll build it.
  • Reply 67 of 229
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Even if Apple relelased a Netbook for $700 as opposed to Windows $400 I think it would be classy and the public would have supported it. But Apple apparently thinks that margin is not enough or those machines aren't powerful enough to back them . The public however has proven Apple wrong. Netbooks are everywhere.

Except they have had no impact on Apple. Apple has ignored netbooks without even flinching, and consumers responded by buying *more* Macs. In a recession.

Yes, netbooks are everywhere. So are cheap, generic PCs.

But you can rest easy, Apple's Tablet is on the way.
  • Reply 68 of 229
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

Copyright isn't at issue here unless the codebase of OS X has been modified and redistributed without permission of its authors. Copyright is based on authorship and in the case of software, the creation of code.

Even at that, with most of OS X based on Open Source BSD, including the kernel, Apple is not the copyright owner of the code, the BSD community is. Apple is the copyright owner of the GUI and other proprietary, closed source parts of OS X.

At most, what is in violation here is civil contract dispute between Apple and the person who has broken the terms of the Apple OS X EULA. Apple would need to show material harm from such a contractual violation and if the user has paid for the license, that will be difficult to claim on the part of Apple because they have profited from the sale of the license. Such a case would most likely be settled with the user giving up their right of use of OS X in return for a refund of the cost of the license.

This is entirely a copyright issue. You don't buy Mac OS X, you buy a license to use a copy of Mac OS X under certain restrictions. Also, Apple is entirely in compliance with the BSD licensing, so that's irrelevant to your argument. The material harm is that the use r is enjoying the benefits of Mac OS X while Apple has lost the revenue from the required hardware purchase. It's a clear violation of copyright law, there is no ambiguity.
  • Reply 69 of 229
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Of course they are. People are buying them because they're cheap. For a lot of people, it'll do what they need of a computer which is email and web. Not saying you can't do more with them, but that is all many need (and maybe a music and photo app).
  • Reply 70 of 229
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,949member
    Quote:

True- but they could have made a lot more and more importantly penetrated the OS deeper. It will be a lot harder now that Windows 7 has a lot of support behind it - more than Vista. I may just be buying my first Windows 7 PC for $500 after seeing all those Best Buy models in yesterdays flier. There are some pretty good deals out there now.

This is basically the cloning argument restated, and it's an argument entirely without merit in the current market.
  • Reply 71 of 229
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    That could probably be construed as being anti-competitive?
  • Reply 72 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Nice

Dude, that's sooooo lame. Let me guess; Old fogie?

Guilty as charged. I suppose my morals and ethics were a dead giveaway? Morals, ethics, ever heard of those quaint concepts?

Then again it's my generation that raised yours so I suppose it's really our fault.
  • Reply 73 of 229
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This is entirely a copyright issue.

Here, in Spain, is not a copyright issue. You're not infringing Apple copyright installing OS X in a non Apple computer, you're only allegedly breaking an article of the EULA. An article that can be illegal according to Spanish consumer law.
  • Reply 74 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

... most of OS X based on Open Source BSD, including the kernel, Apple is not the copyright owner of the code, the BSD community is.

Well, the Mac OS X kernel is based upon Mach and not the general BSDs per se, and there's quite a bit of GNU in the user-land tools. But that trivial technical detail aside, you nail it with:

Quote:

Apple is the copyright owner of the GUI and other proprietary, closed source parts of OS X.

Indeed they are. Anyone can take the Darwin kernel, and run much of what constitutes the Unix portions of OS X. But they can't legitimately run Windowserver onwards and have the OS X graphical experience on non-Apple hardware.

Quote:

At most, what is in violation here is civil contract dispute between Apple and the person who has broken the terms of the Apple OS X EULA.

Well, the EULA is an extension of the rights you have to Apple's copyright materials (very little, by default.) They permit you to use their copyright materials on hardware that they have designed, manufactured, and sold to you, and, err, that's it.

Quote:

Apple would need to show material harm from such a contractual violation and if the user has paid for the license, that will be difficult to claim on the part of Apple because they have profited from the sale of the license.

Such as the loss of sales from hardware, perhaps?

Basically, if you have the smarts to get OS X running on your own hardware, on your own. Great! Wonderful for you. You're probably not going to materially affect Apple's profits. (But don't come whinging that Apple owe you something if it later stops working.)

Start trying to do it for profit, as Psystar are attempting to do, and you should expect to be hit hard.
  • Reply 75 of 229
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Just shows you that people want cheap OS X machines

If I'm not mistaken, the Dell Mini 9/10 works PERFECTLY as an OS X machine and can be had for under $300. Can't argue with that

An empty CD also costs much less than an officially released music CD, and if you copy music onto it, it plays said music perfectly. Just shows how much people want cheap music.
  • Reply 76 of 229
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I would strongly disagree. Tinkerers, as you call them, are generally regarded as weirdos by their families and neighbors. They usually have ultra-inflated egos, tend to turn off people rather than influence them, and are true bores. The more they tell you how tech savvy they are the more you know they aren't. So whatever they recommend is considered to be too complicated to use by the average Joe. The old Saturday Night Live "Your Company's Computer Guy" skit about sums them up.

So, no, they are not good for any platform let alone Apple.

Didn't Steve Wozniak "tinker" by buying some parts from the local electronics store to build a blue box to bypass paying the phone company for their products and services?

http://www.markusehrenfried.de/mac/applehistory.html

Maybe Psystar and the Hackintosh community can file a class action lawsuit against Apple under the "What's Good for the Goose, Is Good for the Gander" claus! \
  • Reply 77 of 229
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You don't buy Mac OS X, you buy a license to use a copy of Mac OS X under certain restrictions.

I believe that it's not as clear cut as that.

There have been murmors in the past. I'm sorry to be vague, but there was a story going around on these boards about a year ago that at least one US judge had ruled that the EULA was illegal, and that it was indeed a 'sale'.

This is fundamental, because if you buy something, you can do with it as you see fit.

I guess we'll need to see how things pan out...
  • Reply 78 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

A couple of points worth mentioning:

1) We don't know what proportion of hackintosh users actually bought OS X for their computers. Let's not automatically assume Apple is giving up a big chunk of OS sales on this one.

2) I've yet to hear a strong argument for how it hurts Apple to thwart hackintosh installations. If it doesn't, in fact, hurt Apple to do this then why wouldn't they try to shut it down or at least curtain the activity?

I guess because Jobs and Woz used to do the same type of thing when they were younger? It's just a matter of principle. The shoe is on the other foot, and they don't like it.
  • Reply 79 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I see Netbooks everywhere. Apple are missing a trick by not selling an official OSX Atom based netbook.

Apple's recent sales figures would suggest otherwise.
  • Reply 80 of 229
    cdyatescdyates Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I dont think Appleinsider should be encouraging thieves.

give me a break.