Apple pitches $30 a month iTunes TV subscriptions - report

Comments

• Reply 81 of 188
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

What about some FREE content too?! Also, this should launch NOW, during the cold months when people are more likely to be inside... I guess Boxee, Hulu and Crackle are still our best friends for streaming content...

The iTunes Digital Jukebox will never give you anything for free except some extra heat for those cold chilly nights.
  • Reply 82 of 188
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

We? Are you a legion?

No moaning either? Just expressing my opinion how ironic it is that what was considered stupid for Microsoft to sell music subscription is all of a sudden genius for Apple. Go for it- enjoy it. I'd rather buy 3 blu-rays for $30 myself.They're only 9.99 at Best Buy this week.

I don't care what Microsoft does, and this isn't about music. It's about iPTV. Buy what you want as I said, just easy off on the moaning you don't think you're doing.
  • Reply 83 of 188
    Quote:

We? Are you a legion?

No moaning either? Just expressing my opinion how ironic it is that what was considered stupid for Microsoft to sell music subscription is all of a sudden genius for Apple. Go for it- enjoy it. I'd rather buy 3 blu-rays for $30 myself.They're only 9.99 at Best Buy this week.

I'm not sure why you keep mentioning a music subscription service. Apple's looking into a TV subscription service (supposedly). I'm guessing you already knew this but chose to ignore it to make your "point."

On topic, this would have to provide HD content (1080, not 720) for me to really get into it.
  • Reply 84 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't care what Microsoft does, and this isn't about music. It's about iPTV. Buy what you want as I said, just easy off on the moaning you don't think you're doing.

Moaning? Isn't that what you do when decribing how WiFi doesn't work on your iPhone?

FYI- It's about subscription entertainment- be it music, movies, or whatever.
  • Reply 85 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

I'm not sure why you keep mentioning a music subscription service. Apple's looking into a TV subscription service (supposedly). I'm guessing you already knew this but chose to ignore it to make your "point."

On topic, this would have to provide HD content (1080, not 720) for me to really get into it.

Funny how you mention the word subscription TWICE yet can't make a connection?
  • Reply 86 of 188
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kd1 View Post

Hulu is moving to a paid subscription model. Bye bye free internet TV.

link please ?
  • Reply 87 of 188
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

IOn topic, this would have to provide HD content (1080, not 720) for me to really get into it.

Do any cable or sat companies offer 1080p content? I believe Apple?s SD and HD are better than, at least, cable companies SD and HD, respectively. The use of H.264 instead of MPEG-2 is also in Apple?s favour here in that they can ramp up quality with greater ease and with less overhead. Since such a service would be competing more directly with cable and sat I think that the best we can expect is 720p. 1080p would be over 2x the data and since it?s not meant to compete with TV Shows in box sets after the season airs so much as when it?s currently airing there is little reason for Apple to go this route at this time, though I hope I?m wrong. I do hope the next AppleTV has the HW capabilities to push 1080p even if the iTS doesn?t offer it.
  • Reply 88 of 188
    Quote:

hello abc

http://abc.go.com/
  • Reply 89 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

link please ?

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...hulu+2010+paid
  • Reply 90 of 188
    Quote:

So you're saying the feasibility of music subscription and a tv subscription are linked? I don't see them being equal.
  • Reply 91 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

I doubt the networks will go for it unless the shows include commercials. They just found out that people who Tivo still watch almost half of the commercials. It's the major revenue stream worth a lot more than $30/month.

And if there are going to commercials, then why pay for what you can get for free simply by clicking on Hulu.com etc?

I don't see the business model for this personally.

I actually think Apple should be offering the "Next Generation" of Free (commercial!) TV, like Hulu has been trying. Let people download a TV show and then add a small number of commercials customised specifically to the viewer (their interests, location etc).

Give us a choice to

# watch our shows, for free, with commercials

# a cheap subscription to reduce to just a couple of commercials in the whole show

# a premium subscription, or rental, or purchase - for no ads.

If the Boston NBC affiliate (for example) doesn't go for the model, then Apple can always put in EVERY Boston commercial as if it was a regular DVR (and let people skip those ads like a DVR too).

This kind of thing

* keeps the advertisers in the loops

* minimises wasted advertising of tampons to men, etc.

* allows a show to start "immediately" by showing a pre-loaded 30second ad while iTunes caches the show.

* gets new viewers to older series

* helps TV networks keep viewers who leave arc-based shows by showing episodes in order

* has immediate ratings feedback for advertisers, including click-thru and interactive marketing to people who click "tell me more".

* allows ads for shops in the local area (<2km etc) which are normally impossible in a big market

* and most importantly - 1/4 the ads but still free, immediate, convenient.

I think there's a huge business model for it - but it's a difficult step from current models to this one.
  • Reply 92 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I don't understand this at all. Why would I pay $30 a month for something I can get for free? I can go to Hulu.com and watch hundreds of TV shows for free.

Enjoy it while you can. Executives at Hulu have already said that they will be transitioning to a payed service in the near future. Thus, content that is either with limited commercial interruptions or "free" will become less common within the next year or two.

Here is one reference on this change (but there are a lot of reports spread all over the internet about this coming change):

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/10/2...entertainment/
  • Reply 93 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do any cable or sat companies offer 1080p content? I believe Apple?s SD and HD are better than, at least, cable companies SD and HD, respectively. The use of H.264 instead of MPEG-2 is also in Apple?s favour here in that they can ramp up quality with greater ease and with less overhead. Since such a service would be competing more directly with cable and sat I think that the best we can expect is 720p. 1080p would be over 2x the data and since it?s not meant to compete with TV Shows in box sets after the season airs so much as when it?s currently airing there is little reason for Apple to go this route at this time, though I hope I?m wrong. I do hope the next AppleTV has the HW capabilities to push 1080p even if the iTS doesn?t offer it.

I've only heard of cable\\sat offering 1080i. I wasn't so much saying that 1080 is going to happen, more that 720 wouldn't be enough to pry me from cable.
  • Reply 94 of 188
    Quote:

$30 on top of my monthly cable bill- I don't think so.

So i guess your not in favour of an Apple monthly subscription plan then?

Has there ever been a product/idea, either rumoured or brought to market, by Apple that has actually pleased you? Pray do tell, i'm intrigued.
  • Reply 95 of 188
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

No.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...o_payonly.html
  • Reply 96 of 188
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Can't you understand that different industries would benefit differently from a subscription service? That said, I have always liked the concept of Zune pass, but it obviously isn't for everyone.

Edit: However if you want to down the route of arguments with no merit, isn't it a little hypocritical of you to call out the people in favor of this and against the zune pass when in fact you have essentially stated the same thing? You are in fact in favor of one subscription model (zune pass) and against another (itunes tv shows) too.
  • Reply 97 of 188
    To those who have said Apple needs all the networks and cable show ... I disagree.

I think it's possible for Apple to target just one or two niches, to start with, just to prove the model. There are people who will pay to get more of their niche - for example a deal with Discovery & National Geographic could be very appealing to those who love documentaries. Likewise if they could get syfy, and then other networks to throw in their scifi offerings, there's a group of people who would consider that all they need.

Of course, just getting Showtime to make all of this month's movies available for their regular subscription price (but without the base cable package!) would also be appealing to many people. Perhaps enough to dump cable.

BTW:

Remember that a la carte restaurant is usually more expensive than a smorgasbord - even though we don't eat all the food on the smorgasbord.
  • Reply 98 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Can't you understand that different industries would benefit differently from a subscription service? That said, I have always liked the concept of Zune pass, but it obviously isn't for everyone.

Edit: However if you want to down the route of arguments with no merit, isn't it a little hypocritical of you to call out the people in favor of this and against the zune pass when in fact you have essentially stated the same thing? You are in fact in favor of one subscription model (zune pass) and against another (itunes tv shows) too.

Not at all - I am against both (but if they are offered I would simply opt out for them) yet find it down right hilarious, as you have described, the hypocritical thinking that permeates this board at times.
  • Reply 99 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

We didn't expect you to understand. You can be quite a negative person. i disagree with Apple the whole time, but I try not to get the whole forum on a downer. So pay you're $85 and stick with your cable, no need to moan about it.

and your a ray of sunshine kinda guy ???

explain to me what the itune's gives us we don't already have for free .

http://abc.go.com/

peace

• Reply 100 of 188
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The download of SD and HD is so you have something to play at home and something to play on the go. An HD file is a lot bigger and would consume a tremendous amount of power if you were able to play it on a handheld device.

I get why they do it, but it's a very inelegant approach. There should be an option in the preferences to opt out of one or the other; methinks the number of people who actually watch full episodes/movies on their handheld devices is severely limited anyhow.