Apple pitches $30 a month iTunes TV subscriptions - report

Comments

• Reply 121 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Only you would defend this concept. What if you want to watch CNN? CSPAN? PBS?

Not everbody want to watch just reruns of Married With Children.

And can you watch those channels on a PS3?

Quote:

$30/month= $360 a year which will buy a PS3- gaming device, blu-ray player , wireless, with netflix and hulu.

• Reply 122 of 188
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

presumably they are working on offering more content before this is released?

One would think that to be a safe assumption, but most people judge Apple products based on the here and now (ie. an Apple tablet would obviously be running the current version of iPhone OS /sarcasm). Offering streaming of all current iTunes TV content wouldn't really be worthwhile, so I don't think that is what they are doing. I'm hoping for an all out cable replacement, but expecting less.
  • Reply 123 of 188
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your inability to make a balanced argument is your downfall.

So now you're a therapist too?

So then I need cable plus iTunes subcription services - why?
  • Reply 124 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Not need because you already have cable service. My point is why pay $360 to subcribe to a TV show when you can get that plus all of which I mention in addition.
  • Reply 125 of 188
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    First, Hulu has repeatedly stated that it is going to a paid content model. If true, this argument doesn't hold water anymore. Second, watching a movie downloaded from iTunes is much more enjoyable and useable.

I remember when cable first started going. The whole selling point was you are paying for commercial free entertainment. Now it seems most cable channels are filled with commercials. Just as many as the Networks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

And if there are going to commercials, then why pay for what you can get for free simply by clicking on Hulu.com etc?

I don't see the business model for this personally.

• Reply 126 of 188
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

He conveniently failed to include the cost of Blu-ray purchase with the cost of Netlfix for that year. And he failed to mention the poor quality streams from Netflix of Hulu in comparison to iTS DLs. You can’t watch those on even a medium sized TV without it being overly blocky. Finally, he fails to mention that the PS3 can’t be ported around like an iDevice can. If they allow for you to use your subscription from your iDevice then this could be a hit.
  • Reply 127 of 188
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gumbygo View Post

This all sounds great, except for the fact that Comcast throttles my 20mbps service down to 4mbps if I cancel my TV service from them (and they never tell you this).

I had two technicians come to my house to diagnose why I was getting 4mbps instead of 16-20 (like my co-worker was getting). They quickly told me that Comcast bumps customers down to 4mbps when they cancel their TV service. I signed up for the $16.99 basic cable and my internet jumped back to 20mbps.

Seems that Comcast is doing underhanded things to protect their TV business, and discourage people from getting all their video from the internet.

That's why I think the TV programming, especailly the VOD, should all be considered in any net neutrality rules. The cable company could easily put burdensome caps and bandwidth price tiers in place to protect their VOD services from competition from Apple, Hulu, etc.
  • Reply 128 of 188
    Quote:

He conveniently failed to include the cost of Blu-ray purchase ad the cost of Netlfix for that year. As well as the poor quality streams from Netflix of Hulu in comparison to iTS DLs. You can’t watch those on even a medium sized TV. Finally, he fails to mention that the PS3 can’t be ported around like an iDevice can. If they allow for you to use your subscription from your iDevice then this could be a hit.

Do you sleep under iSheets at night as well? You're selling a "subscription" in the hope and assumption that such iDevice is what somebody actually wants without you having even seen it?
  • Reply 129 of 188
    Quote:

So your therapist said the same thing as I did. Interesting!

Quote:

No, you need whatever option fits your needs. For some, that is cable, for other?s is satellite. Yet others want their media on the go (iTS) and others don?t mind waiting for a show to be put on DVDs and mailed (Netflix).

It?s not about you! It never has been and it never will be. Apple not making a product that fits your needs specifically is not a personal attack on you. Has your therapist also told you that?
  • Reply 130 of 188
    Quote:

Yes- the iMac SE DVD 1999 that brought entertainment to the desktop with it's inclusion of a DVD drive and The Bug's Life DVD. I didn't need any special cords, adaptors, etc. It was all included. A brilliant machine and concept.

And of course the iPod and OSX.

But why are you derailing the thread? You could have sent me that question privately .

I wasn't trying to derail the thread. I simply wanted to get a perspective of where your logic lies in terms of Apples future plans.

I haven't been here as long as you or read all your threads and comments but I get the impression your not a fan of what Apple are doing right now. So I genuinely wanted to get an insight as to where you think Apple should be going right now.
  • Reply 131 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has reportedly reached out to TV networks in recent weeks with a proposed $30-per-month subscription plan to deliver content via iTunes -- a service it hopes to launch in early 2010.

I subscribe to Bell ExpressVu and we have a digital PVR. Our monthly package of home phone + satellite TV + PVR rental + Internet Services comes out to 195 CDN per month. I would LOVE to replace it with:

iTunes.

- Movie rentals

- occasional DVD rips of stuff we own, trashed once we're happy or tired with the movie.

- family vids converted to MP4 - the kids get HOURS of fun watching school plays,

photos and educational podcasts i have ready.

- Movie purchases. I never thought I'd like using it, but the convenience is unparalleled.

I've purchased about 10 titles to dat and am happy with all of them. I am not a cinephile

so I have no 10 thousand dollar home theatre to put super HD content into.

Netflix

- for what we can't get we OCCASIONALLY rent thru mail-order DVD. Monthly tally is 11.00

CDN for all-you-can eat with only one DVD out at a time.

Internet.

- 3rd Party ADSL or DSL provider. Good service can be had for about 30 dollars CDN per month.

Basic Phone

- kept for 911 service and phone connectivity. We're going to drop it to a basic service with no extras or VM (two iPhones in the house).

So the Tally in the end would come out about 1/3 to one half the amount we now pay, and we'll get more use out of our entertainment system to boot.

I get all my CBC content besides live radio through iTunes. I can't possibly catch up with the content I want to see or her, but at least I can search, organize, and prioritise the content I want to see, and what I can't consumer on the AppleTV I carry on the iPhone.

Apple has the strategy perfectly right. They will move onto the print and digital reader world to finish the portfolio and I'll ideally be able to stop receiving my Toronto Star and Globe and Mail subscriptions on physical paper and get them in digital formats. It will be pure profit for them to do so as I want to see the paper layout without paying the 130 dollars per year for the delivery.

Add iTunes subscriptions to that so I can get my individual programs and we're set! Lots of shows have gone off the air that I want to see, despite all the "specialty" channels. I see a new dawn coming, and it will be very interesting to watch.

Anyone else with similar experiences?
  • Reply 132 of 188
    Quote:

You are not the only one saying this, but what if the iTunes subscription can replace cable? That is what they are speculating.

FTA:

Quote:

"Such a product would effectively replace a consumer's monthly cable bill (~$85/month) and offer access to current and older episodes of select shows on select channels.

Now I agree that just offering streaming services of the current iTunes content would not be enough, but maybe that isn't what they are planning at all. As I've said before. If Apple wants this service to replace my cable bill, it needs live streaming not streams/downloads available a day later. I'm willing to wait and see if anything comes of this though.
  • Reply 133 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

You are not the only one saying this, but what if the iTunes subscription can replace cable? That is what they are speculating.

Now I agree that just offering streaming services of the current iTunes content would not be enough, but maybe that isn't what they are planning at all. As I've said before. If Apple wants this service to replace my cable bill, it needs live streaming not streams/downloads available a day later. I'm willing to wait and see if anything comes of this though.

There is overlap, but the cable and iTS network offering are also very different. One is the living room, the other is the computer, living room and mobile devices. One can be manipulated, the other requires a paid for or rented DVR to do so. This service wouldn?t fit my needs but I can see how it may be of interest to people that still want to keep their cable TV.

The long term problem with internet TV in any form is that cable companies will inevitably have to make more profit on the internet side of business to make up for the loss of TV revenue while still paying the high lease fees to the networks.
  • Reply 134 of 188
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    techstud, give it a rest for a while - step away from the keyboard. Take a tea or coffee break.

I have been saying Apple should offer an iTunes TV Show Subscription service for practically two years now, and now it looks like Apple is trying to lay the groundwork for this, finally. It's a shame we'll have to wait longer over where I live to get what the US might get in Q1 2010, but so be it.

Next step, Apple need to get round to making a television, like I've wanted them to do for a long time now. I like the idea of an all-in-one solution for TV, that would be very simple to setup and use. Time will make this happen me thinks.
  • Reply 135 of 188
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

techstud, give it a rest for a while - step away from the keyboard. Take a tea or coffee break.

I have been saying Apple should offer an iTunes TV Show Subscription service for practically two years now, and now it looks like Apple is trying to lay the groundwork for this, finally. It's a shame we'll have to wait longer over where I live to get what the US might get in Q1 2010, but so be it.

Next step, Apple need to get round to making a television, like I've wanted them to do for a long time now. I like the idea of an all-in-one solution for TV, that would be very simple to setup and use. Time will make this happen me thinks.

Do you even get much of an offering through iTunes? I thought TV and movies weren't offered by iTunes outside the US yet.
  • Reply 136 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Do you even get much of an offering through iTunes? I thought TV and movies weren't offered by iTunes outside the US yet.

Indeed Sir, do you have any scraps? I wouldn't get an Apple TV until they bring out the subscription model anyway. So I'll be waiting until 2022 to get mine.
  • Reply 137 of 188
    Quote:

There is overlap, but the cable and iTS network offering are also very different. One is the living room, the other is the computer, living room and mobile devices. One can be manipulated, the other requires a paid for or rented DVR to do so. This service wouldn?t fit my needs but I can see how it may be of interest to people that still want to keep their cable TV.

The long term problem with internet TV in any form is that cable companies will inevitably have to make more profit on the internet side of business to make up for the loss of TV revenue while still paying the high lease fees to the networks.

Cable TV will eventually die, and they will try to make up that cost through internet fees. Every time these companies lay new fiber optic cable, they are sowing the seeds of their own demise.

I don't see a large disconnect between the computer and the living room anymore, now that you can get internet connected set top boxes. My parents TV is essentially an internet provided solution, it just isn't marketed as such. The TV signals are sent through the phone lines and our modem/router before being sent to a set top box. I'm just waiting for someone like Apple to take that a step further. It is something they could do with a live streaming option to complement their current offerings.
  • Reply 138 of 188
    Quote:

You don't have to, it's your choice but I'd personally like to see Apple expand in this area and I think other people in this forum would also like to see this.

Before the iPhone, smartphones were pretty lame, now take a look at the Market and the choice. There's some serious smartphones out there now definately worthy of a look and alternative to the iPhone.

So why should we have to just accept the current cable offerings. Apple obviously see room for improvement. Even if it's from an integration point of view. I have far too many boxes under my tv set and have invested in a few Apple products which I'd like to see Apple improve upon.

I don't see Sony and Sky doing anything revolutionary right now so I'm pinning my hopes on Apple. I can dream.
  • Reply 139 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I don't see Sony and Sky doing anything revolutionary right now so I'm pinning my hopes on Apple. I can dream.

That's who I see Apple going after: Sky. Imagine automatic bookmark your spot in a program and going back to that point in that one after watching something else. It's things like this that would negate the need for DVR completely. Also, you're not given a choice of 20 good things on at that moment and asked to choose 1, but rather you can pick anything and stream it. I like that idea.
  • Reply 140 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Cable TV will eventually die, and they will try to make up that cost through internet fees. Every time these companies lay new fiber optic cable, they are sowing the seeds of their own demise.

Not so fast. Comcast has been aggressive rolling out phone services, buying Plaxo, and now in a deal with NBC-Universal. They realize that they cannot remain just a dumb-pipe. Content is key.

They are not acting defensively, they are on offense.