Apple co-founder Steve Jobs named Fortune 'CEO of the Decade'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 183
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    It was the recent reporting of Lee Clow leaving that said it all over again for me why Steve Jobs is just so different.

What he said was that for everyone else it's about the money, ie Dell, Microsoft et al.

But for Jobs it's not at all about the money, it's about the experience, good taste and quality. And he obviously stops at no level of detail to ensure they're the most excellent that can be achieved at that moment.

No doubt he is also a fantastic manager of people, but those things have to be at the core of what defines the difference between him and the rest, and makes him the absolute correct choice for CEO of the decade.

Congrats.
  • Reply 21 of 183
    Congratulations to Steve Jobs! I cannot think of another CEO in the past few decades who has inspired so much passion - pro and con - as he has.

To me, in a world awash with CEO as consultant-speak bureaucrat, he epitomizes the CEO as straight-talking entrepreneur. Comparisons to Ford and Hilton are apt. They could have added Watson, Disney, Buffett, and Welch.
  • Reply 23 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Bigger than a myth?

Even Bill Gates is bigger than Jesus.

I am an atheist ,so i agree
  • Reply 24 of 183
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Although, it's a bit premature to be selecting the CEO of the decade, isn't it? There's still over a year to go, after all.
  • Reply 25 of 183
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

It was the recent reporting of Lee Clow leaving that said it all over again for me why Steve Jobs is just so different.

What he said was that for everyone else it's about the money, ie Dell, Microsoft et al.

But for Jobs it's not at all about the money, it's about the experience, good taste and quality. And he obviously stops at no level of detail to ensure they're the most excellent that can be achieved at that moment.

No doubt he is also a fantastic manager of people, but those things have to be at the core of what defines the difference between him and the rest, and makes him the absolute correct choice for CEO of the decade.

GAG.

Lee Clow- who is that?
  • Reply 26 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Although, it's a bit premature to be selecting the CEO of the decade, isn't it? There's still over a year to go, after all.

Yeah- Obama deserve that title too. He controls the biggest budget - doesn't he?

And no- there are only 1 1/2 months left in this decade. (Some things never change. )
  • Reply 27 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I am an atheist ,so i agree

Steve has done a wonderful job, but do you honestly think a CEO will have a following of billions two years after his 'death'? Atheist or not, you can't deny that Jesus' impact on history and society was and will be much bigger than Jobs'.
  • Reply 28 of 183
    Quote:

No, just under 2 months. 12/31/2009 - 01/01/2000 = 1 decade
  • Reply 29 of 183
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I agree, I don't really understand the near hero-worship of Jobs, but I think Fortune are spot on here. It's hard to think of another CEO who has played such a pivotal role in turning a company that was becoming a financial disaster into a money making powerhouse, and for all the cool products, it's making money that a CEO is there to do.

It doesn’t sound like Quadra 610 has any hero-worship going on. He wrote, “Good. He deserves it.” I agree. I can’t think Jobs is a prick but I can’t think of any other CEO that deserves it more. Then he wrote, "Thank you for everything, Steve.” I doubt he thinks Steve will read it, but people do this often in forums, more often with negative comments. I have to thanks Steve, too, i guess considering the money I’ve made off Apple stock. Sure, I took the risk to invest, but I was sure it was going to rise dramatically. Not many companies are so easy to predict. Also, even non-shareholders can thank him for pushing the consumer tech market. For instance, the iPhone. Even if you don’t like the iPhone or Apple, you now have a lot more choices to choose from because of its existence.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Congratulations to Steve Jobs! I cannot think of another CEO in the past few decades who has inspired so much passion - pro and con - as he has.

To me, in a world awash with CEO as consultant-speak bureaucrat, he epitomizes the CEO as straight-talking entrepreneur. Comparisons to Ford and Hilton are apt. They could have added Watson, Disney, Buffett, and Welch.

If he didn’t come back to save the company he founded with another company he founded I don’t think he would be held in such esteem. I wonder who would have been named if not for Jobs. I wonder what the PC, PMP and phone market would have looked like?

Quote:

00—09. I count 2010 as the start of a new decade. But AD/CE didn’t start at year zero, it started at year one.
  • Reply 30 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordonz View Post

You're wasting your time with that one. He's thinks the year 2000 is in another decade.
  • Reply 31 of 183
    He deserves all the praise.

Unfortunately Fortune Magazine is a joke, they 'd be better off awarding that Lehman Brothers lunatic or the Enron guys to go along with the magazines profile of making hagiographies of fat corrupt oil sheiks and underworld billionaire figures as well as greedy second rate ceos that the u.s. taxpayer is paying off from going broke. What a shallow distasteful publication.
  • Reply 32 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

00?09. I count 2010 as the start of a new decade. A.D./B.C.E started at year zero.

Do you really feel the need to spoon feed it?
  • Reply 33 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tslipscomb View Post

Steve has done a wonderful job, but do you honestly think a CEO will have a following of billions two years after his 'death'? Atheist or not, you can't deny that Jesus' impact on history and society was and will be much bigger than Jobs'.

You lot take me too seriously sometimes.
  • Reply 34 of 183
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I think the biggest thing that he can teach us though is: Debt Free. Apple has wads of cash on hand. Given, this is due to expansive profit margins + cult following. But many other companies could look at this and try to make better products and services instead of just trying to get out mass numbers of products.

This is the number one reason why Apple is able to continue to operate as normal in these economic times where credit is hard to come by. Unlike many other companies, Apple's day-to-day operations aren't dependent on loans and credit (the American car companies being a prime example).

And I think more than a few individuals can learn from that, too. Both companies and individuals would be better off if we all relied a bit less on credit (buying houses and cars we can't afford) and focused less on quantity (food, cars, toys, square footage, etc) and more an quality.
  • Reply 35 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordonz View Post

For this usage, that is the correct timeframe, but there is another, more technically accurate start and end, beginning with January 1st, xx01. This is because there is no "zeroth century? between BC/BCE and AD/CE.

The 20th century actually ended on December 31st, 2000, not 1999. Prince was a year early.
  • Reply 36 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Bigger than a myth?

Even Bill Gates is bigger than Jesus.

More important, in a year or two, Apple's market cap will almost certainly be larger than that of Microsoft. Apple won't just be the biggest company in Silicon Valley. Apple will soon be the biggest company in the world.

Can't wait
  • Reply 37 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Really, get a grip.... You sound like you're thanking a friend, ugh there's a psych class based on this I bet.

It's just a little tribute. Ease up.
  • Reply 38 of 183
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oneota View Post

"First all-in-one-computer" -- you mean other than the original Mac? Or the Mac Plus? Or the Mac Classic? Or the SE? Or the Color Classic? Or the Performa/LC 500-series? Or the Power Mac/Performa 5000 Series? Or the G3 All-in-one? Or their entire laptop line? Yeah, other than those non-entities, I guess you could say the iMac was the first all-in-one computer.

Hey, you forgot to mention the Mac TV and the 20th Annerversary Mac. Hm, I guess maybe it's best not to bring those up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

Congrats.

I wish I still had the article so I could remember where it was published, but it was in the late 90's, I think, when Steve Jobs said in an interview something along the lines of how too many CEOs were about the fast buck, managing the stock price or marketing unrealized concepts and selling out. This was in the height of the dot-com boom where you could create a web site with a vague idea and then sell it to someone for a million dollars. He said too many people were in it for creating wealth and not enough were in it for creating companies for the long haul.

Steve may be known for his micromanagement and harsh criticism, but the patience and long-term vision of Apple is unlike any other company's. And Steve probably deserves a lot of the credit for that.
  • Reply 39 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

This is the number one reason why Apple is able to continue to operate as normal in these economic times where credit is hard to come by. Unlike many other companies, Apple's day-to-day operations aren't dependent on loans and credit (the American car companies being a prime example).

And I think more than a few individuals can learn from that, too. Both companies and individuals would be better off if we all relied a bit less on credit (buying houses and cars we can't afford) and focused less on quantity (food, cars, toys, square footage, etc) and more an quality.

When you have substantial liquid funds during hard economic times it becomes a buyer?s market. Apple has not only been able to weather the recession, but capitalize on it. I did it myself with the stock market buy buying in a year ago after everything collapsed. I had an average 85% gain in under 8 months.
  • Reply 40 of 183
    ..I mean, don't go, DON'T GO!!!