Verizon continues assault on AT&T with series of holiday ads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Verizon doesn't need the iPhone and obviously is flaunting that. They must just love lobbing these insults at both AT&T and Apple. And these are direct insults at Apple because they feature the white iPHone so prominently and mock Apple's own ad line of "There's an App for that". Which was one of the worst commercials ever - THAT VOICE????

Had AT&T not gone with the iPhone we wouldn't be seeing these ads. Verizon clearly has Apple on the mind.
  • Reply 42 of 153
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    So Apple finally gets bashed and everyone is boohooing. Shouldn't have bashed PCs for 3 years I guess.

Microsoft on the other hand has taken the high road at least with their positive attitude Windows 7 commercials. I actually find them fascinating!.
  • Reply 43 of 153
    Yes I travel for business and vacations across the Atlantic. That's why I have an iPhone
  • Reply 44 of 153
    It's funny how they ONLY and ALWAYS target the Apple

iPhone in these Verizon 3G vs. AT&T 3G ads.

Maybe this can mean something?..

• Reply 45 of 153
    Quote:

So Apple finally gets bashed and everyone is boohooing. Shouldn't have bashed PCs for 3 years I guess.

Microsoft on the other hand has taken the high road at least with their positive attitude Windows 7 commercials. I actually find them fascinating!.

Apple bashing is only effective . . . when it's effective. Quarterly numbers are the only real measure.

And Microsoft tried the Apple attacks already, and failed miserably.
  • Reply 46 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Had AT&T not gone with the iPhone we wouldn't be seeing these ads. Verizon clearly has Apple on the mind.

??? If Verizon had the iPhone of course you wouldn't -at least from Verizon. Don't quite get that statement.

Verizon want to stops switchers from leaving - clearly, Can you blame them? Anyone who leave Verizon for AT&T is only going for an iPhone- nothing else I can assure you.
  • Reply 47 of 153
    Quote:

Apple bashing is only effective . . . when it's effective. Quarterly numbers are the only real measure.

And Microsoft tried the Apple attacks already, and failed miserably.

They got their point across and Apple dropped all their prices so not quite sure how they weren't effective?\
  • Reply 48 of 153
    Quote:

Well it's one of our economy's major breadwinners - isn't it?

Yes. I travel regularly across the atlantic for business and vacations. That's why I have an iPhone
  • Reply 49 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexhasfun28 View Post

It means they are sick as fk of people flocking to AT&t because of the iPhone. AT&T is supposedly the worst carrier, yet its business is booming, thanks to Apple. Verizon is seeing that consumers will put up with a seemingly horrible carrier just to get their hands on the iPhone, and they can't stand it.

Verizon would like a "Premier device" as well, and the mindshare and cachet that goes with it.
  • Reply 50 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexhasfun28 View Post

They are trying to stop switchers. Verizon is NOT getting the iPhone. Steve Jobs must be so pissed at these attacks. Especially the "iDont" add which is both Verizon's and Motorola's
  • Reply 51 of 153
    Quote:

They got their point across and Apple dropped all their prices so not quite sure how they weren't effective?\

If you mean "effective" by MS spending hundreds of millions of dollars in order to help Apple sell *more* Macs in a recession, while turning out a horrible quarter themselves, then yes, they sure were effective.
  • Reply 52 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anothersmartphoneuser View Post

Yes. I travel regularly across the atlantic for business and vacations. That's why I have an iPhone

Just don't go to Turkey- I hear AT&T charges an arm and a leg for coverage.
  • Reply 53 of 153
    Quote:

If you mean "effective" by MS spending hundreds of millions of dollars in order to help Apple sell *more* Macs in a recession, while turning out a horrible quarter themselves, then yes, they sure were effective.

Those ads only ran for 4- 6 months . How many millions in TV ads did Apple spend on Justin Long's nonsense for 3 plus YEARS attacking PC yet gained virtually nada in market share?
  • Reply 54 of 153
    Quote:

Those ads only ran for 4- 6 months . How many millions in TV ads did Apple spend on Justin Long's nonsense for 3 plus YEARS attacking PC yet gained virtually nada in market share?

Apple actually spends less on advertising than MS. Far less.

And Apple only gained record Mac sales from those ads, for several years now. Market share in the Premium end is going to be naturally limited, keep that in mind. In fact those ads helped play a role in Apple clinching the Premium end.

The Get a Mac ads were hugely successful.
  • Reply 55 of 153
    Quote:

Apple actually spends less on advertising than MS. Far less.

And Apple only gained record Mac sales from those ads, for several years now. Market share in the Premium end is going to be naturally limited, keep that in mind.

The Get a Mac ads were hugely successful.

Apple spends much much more on TV advertising- bar none. Microsof'st is all in print advertising up to this past year.

The "I'm a PC, you're a MAC" ads began well (positive) became increasingly negative and were more entertaining than anything else.

And trust me Apple want more than just Premium and with the amount of PC attacks they show. They just refuse to lower their price to be competitive. The MacBook should sell for $699 tops. There is nothing "Premium " about it!
  • Reply 56 of 153
    Quote:

Apple spends much much more on TV advertising- bar none. Microsof'st is all in print advertising up to this past year.

The "I'm a PC, you're a MAC" ads began well (positive) became increasingly negative and were more entertaining than anything else.

http://www.penn-olson.com/2009/10/31...s-3x-of-apple/

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune....alf-a-billion/

This year, at least, was a big year for MS ad spending. In all fairness, Apple spent nearly the same in 2008, and MS spent less than Apple that year.
  • Reply 57 of 153
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    The first one is funny. However, they do compliment the iPhone and attack AT&T, which make sense.
  • Reply 58 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

Looks like for AT&T, practically the whole country is a deadzone. I'm surprised I haven't been hearing more about how in most of the country you get zero bars with AT&T.

the actual coverage map looks like this

The verizon ads only show the 3G coverage area.
  • Reply 59 of 153
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You're being overly apologetic for ATT.

You're not being critical enough of Verizon.

Quote:

There's no denying that Verizon has better overall coverage,

Apparently that's the case, just as there's no denying 1001 is a bigger number than 1000. Close is good enough in horseshoes and hand grenades. Verizon also nickle-and-dimes its customers more, too.

Quote:

and in doing so you are only making your own argument weaker. Yes, the iPhone is great and ATT's network is not the worst thing in the world.

Time to switch!

Quote:

But calls do drop quite often and many iPhone users are on ATT only because they have to be.

Much is the same for many Verizon users. So what's your point?

Quote:

And yes, I have an iPhone 3GS, in Washington DC, and I drop about, oh, 5 calls a day. Predictable where I'll drop them, which is even sadder.

Let me guess, it's when you're behind a hill or in a little ravine. The fact that it's predictable is a good thing, no? Are Verizon's dropped calls unpredictable... and happy?

Is your iPhone jailbroken?

Quote:

I spend my day driving the major roads of the DC area to and from client sites, not back roads, not out in some tiny city, but right in one of the strongest areas in the country for service. Still, pretty sad. If I can get a Verizon iPhone next year, I will. I've been on ATT in its various forms for 10 years now.

Try a Verizon phone for a couple weeks and see if it doesn't drop calls when you're driving about. The parkways and major roads of DC go 'round and through some decent hills. My experience with Verizon, in the locations I cared about, was that its coverage was worse than AT&T.
  • Reply 60 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

the actual coverage map looks like this

The verizon ads only show the 3G coverage area.

And Verizon is very clear in its ads they are talking about 3G coverage. Which is really all that matters because ATT Edge coverage is useless.