Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.2 with guest account bug fix

Comments

• Reply 21 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

Is it a good time to jump into Snow Leopard with this update? Been holding off due to fonts/printing/Mail/MobileMe issues. Feedback from others with similar reservations appreciated.

if you don't do anything with any specific software then yes you can jump ship...

snow leopard is much snappier than leopard...just installed 10.6.2 and it's great
  • Reply 22 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Is it a good time to jump into Snow Leopard with this update? Been holding off due to fonts/printing/Mail/MobileMe issues. Feedback from others with similar reservations appreciated.

That depends on exectly why you are waiting. It?s possible that SL or a 3rd-party doesn?t support something you need, yet it is supported in Leopard.If you can partition 10GB on your HDD or even on an external drive you can install and test it out before committing to it as your main OS. You can even have MobileMe sync all your preferences over to simplify the issue.
  • Reply 23 of 144
    It's probably a sign of my childish and purile mind that I found this amusing:

an issue with the four-finger swipe gesture

Surely such an issue is a failing on the behalf of Charmin?
  • Reply 24 of 144
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:

It will probably take a week of watching to see what problems are still around.
  • Reply 25 of 144
    So did they finally enable audio over MiniDisplayport to HDMI?!
  • Reply 26 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krolingo View Post

* Save as PDF? Crashes the printing application

* Does anyone else see that nice *feature* ?

that never happened to me and use that feature quite frequently
  • Reply 27 of 144
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Safari feels snappier.
  • Reply 28 of 144
    I just updated to 10.6.2 via Software Update, and now my sound-bar item is gray and there is no sound from OS X.

If I press the volume buttons nothing happens else than the dialog with the volume is gray and a "Forbidden symbol" in the bottom.

I have a 2008 Macbook Pro (4,1).

Anyone had any problems alike, and can help me troubleshoot?
  • Reply 29 of 144
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
  • Reply 30 of 144
    marikmarik Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

This is it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL959?viewlocale=en_US

Hmm should I get the straight update or the combo updater? (I'm on v10.6.1)

My instincts tell me the straight update but I vaguely remember seeing something about using the combo updater because it prevents permission issues?
  • Reply 31 of 144
    Weird... QuickTime X now shows a Front Row-style progress bar when watching in Full Screen mode - that is, whenever you use the keyboard or remote controls (when you use the mouse, the normal controls appear). I'm not sure I like this, the big bar looks ugly and out of place there.
  • Reply 32 of 144
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I'll download tonight after I do a TimeMachine backup. I'm glad this is out as the Mail stability fixes will be welcomed.
  • Reply 33 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    People, there are some very basic rules when doing updates….
    1) Back up using TimeMachine or whatever backup program you use before doing any major update to your OS.

2) Verify your disk before installing update.

3) Install update. I prefer the Combo Update from the website over Software Updater, but it’s your choice.

4) If something in the OS that used to work no longer works then restart and see if that fixes it.

5) If not, then go grab the Combo Update from the website and try it again.
    That should resolve most issues people have with point updates.
  • Reply 34 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

that never happened to me and use that feature quite frequently

Maybe it happens only on SL Server...
  • Reply 35 of 144
    Looks like Mail.app has a new plugin API version, so Mail plugins (GrowlMail, etc.) are being disabled.
  • Reply 36 of 144
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1517041]Apple's second update for Snow Leopard?

Installed, and it looks like the unexpected jerks in Zoom after a mouse click on my 24" iMac 7,1 with ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro card has been resolved.
  • Reply 37 of 144
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

People, there are some very basic rules when doing updates?.
    1) Back up using TimeMachine or whatever backup program you use before doing any major update to your OS.

2) Verify your disk before installing update.

3) Install update. I prefer the Combo Update from the website over Software Updater, but it?s your choice.

4) If something in the OS that used to work no longer works then restart and see if that fixes it.

5) If not, then go grab the Combo Update from the website and try it again.
    That should resolve most issues people have with point updates.

I also find it very useful to repair permissions before and after update.
  • Reply 38 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pelleravn View Post

I just updated to 10.6.2 via Software Update, and now my sound-bar item is gray and there is no sound from OS X.

If I press the volume buttons nothing happens else than the dialog with the volume is gray and a "Forbidden symbol" in the bottom.

Same here. After the update...

NO SOUND!!! ZERO!!!

MUTE!!!

Volume is not gray for me it's just as it always is but there is no sound even if the volume is at its top.

Why? Oh why? What's your four-oh-four Apple?

(MacBook Pro 5,1 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3)

Solution: Go to System Preferences=>Sound=>Output and select "Internal speakers, Built-in Output". For some reasons the update switched it to "Soundflower (2ch)" which I really don't know what that is. However that's the reason why it was mute. Why did it switch? Who knows?!
  • Reply 39 of 144
    dlcmhdlcmh Posts: 43member
    File size is only 157.7 MB via Software Update on my iMac 24" early-2009 model.
  • Reply 40 of 144
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pelleravn View Post

That's interesting because a friend just bought a Macbook, and he has the same problem with 10.6.1, which came with the machine.

Look in sound prefs to see if internal speakers are available. If so, select it. On my friends Macbook, all that's available for output is digital output. When I plugged headphones in, it switched to that, and it worked. But when I unplugged them, all that was available again was digital output.

You do have the startup sound and some others.