Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.2 with guest account bug fix

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144
    Software Update picked up HP Printer Drivers Update 2.2 and a Xerox Printer Drivers Update 2.0 in addition to Mac OS X Update 10.6.2.
  • Reply 62 of 144
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by affromonkey View Post

flash plugin problems anyone? crashes whenever there is flash on a web page?

and adobe indesign cs4 wont open? perhaps linked, Adobe = crap!!!!! un fortunatly it has to be used in the world of digital print as i hate quark more!

I've been using ClickToFlash, which seems to be working fine under 10.6.2 with both HTML5 and Flash.

Have you installed any custom plugins under Safari?
  • Reply 63 of 144
    Download the 10.6.2 Combo updater and reinstall.
  • Reply 64 of 144
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Hopefully this will let me surf the web with ONLY 3GB of RAM, something that didn't used to be a problem with 10.5.... Hopefully.
  • Reply 65 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Hopefully this will let me surf the web with ONLY 3GB of RAM, something that didn't used to be a problem with 10.5.... Hopefully.

Is this a bad attempt at flamebait? Seriously?
  • Reply 66 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

What the heck are you running that you can?t use a web browser with less than 3GB RAM? Right now Safari is 330MB RAM, more than any other single app, and I?m only using 1.2GB total with 6 apps open.
  • Reply 67 of 144
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Actually Cloning your whole boot drive to another drive before doing any sort of update is better as you can boot from the clone and simply reverse clone back to the earlier OS/boot drive state. ...

No offence, but cloning your entire hard drive before a point update is serious overkill, especially if you have Time Machine.

True, if you want to be 100% safe that's the way to go, but the risk of anything happening that would require a complete restore is so low as to be negligible. You might as well start strapping pillows about your body in case you fall out of your chair while the update completes as well.
  • Reply 68 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by affromonkey View Post

flash plugin problems anyone? crashes whenever there is flash on a web page?

and adobe indesign cs4 wont open? perhaps linked, Adobe = crap!!!!! un fortunatly it has to be used in the world of digital print as i hate quark more!

You're doing something wrong.

Flash plugins are crap but they only crash the browser when your resources are shite or the page is badly coded. I'm also running InDesign CS4 right now without any problems.

With a quasi-racist handle like that though you are probably just a troll anyway.
  • Reply 69 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

No offence, but cloning your entire hard drive before a point update is serious overkill, especially if you have Time Machine.

True, if you want to be 100% safe that's the way to go, but the risk of anything happening that would require a complete restore is so low as to be negligible. You might as well start strapping pillows about your body in case you fall out of your chair while the update completes as well.

Time Machine does the same thing, although it's done via incremental backups, the end result is the same.

Any time you update any system, regardless of how 'minor' it may be, you should always have a good backup. It's so easy with Time Machine, it's a shame that people don't use it more. A cheap hard drive and a $10 dollar drive enclosure and your good to go.
  • Reply 70 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Yeah I found that out after posting the message (and posted the solution in teh original post). Sorry everybody and thanks for trying to help. Strange however that the update switched the audio output... I'm glad my MBP makes some noise again. It's always making some noise and if it suddenly stops making noise it's really strange... It feel less alive \

This happened to me also.

Never had an update reset the audio like that before. Actually I don't think I've ever had an update change any of my preference settings before.
  • Reply 71 of 144
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marik View Post

Hmm should I get the straight update or the combo updater? (I'm on v10.6.1)

My instincts tell me the straight update but I vaguely remember seeing something about using the combo updater because it prevents permission issues?

Check your sound settings in Systems Preferences.

Mine did the exact same thing. It defaulted to a weird "line in" setting. I set it back to headphones and all is well.
  • Reply 72 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djpadz View Post

Looks like Mail.app has a new plugin API version, so Mail plugins (GrowlMail, etc.) are being disabled.

Yep. Same here.
  • Reply 73 of 144
    WTF is with the lemmings posting troll bait on every snow leopard thread? Anyway, this weekend is going to be good. Will finally upgrade from 10.5 after doing a backup.
  • Reply 74 of 144
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

WTF is with the lemmings posting troll bait on every snow leopard thread? .

They're pissed off that they spent all weekend upgrading from XP to 7.

You'll be fine. Especially if you do a backup before hand.
  • Reply 75 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pelleravn View Post

I just updated to 10.6.2 via Software Update, and now my sound-bar item is gray and there is no sound from OS X.

If I press the volume buttons nothing happens else than the dialog with the volume is gray and a "Forbidden symbol" in the bottom.

I have a 2008 Macbook Pro (4,1).

Anyone had any problems alike, and can help me troubleshoot?

Yes I have a MacAir and after the update I did not have sound. Just go the system preferences/ Sound/ Outputand check the Internal Speakers.

For some reason it was going default to something called Soundflower (2ch)
  • Reply 76 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Get the combo and try that. It's the only thing I ever recommend after a .1 update.

Check System Preferences/ SOund/ Output / and select the internal speakers
  • Reply 77 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marik View Post

Hmm should I get the straight update or the combo updater? (I'm on v10.6.1)

My instincts tell me the straight update but I vaguely remember seeing something about using the combo updater because it prevents permission issues?

The combo updater has the ability to update any Mac OS X system that is of the same family as the updater...a 10.6.2 combo updater could update both 10.6 and 10.6.1 systems where the "straight" updater assumes that you have 10.6.1 already.

I've always used the combo updaters because I've found that they work better--and I've seen strange behavior from the updaters that can only update the immediately previous release of the system.

If an earlier update's installation becomes messed up and makes your system malfunction, the combo updater goes through the motions of applying every fix and patch that has ever been released as part of a previous operating system update all the way back to the first one. That is another reason why you may want the combo updater instead.

Finally, if you ever have to recover your system by reinstalling the OS, combo updaters let you make a big jump from whatever revision your installation CD is to the current level.

Take a backup of your system using a disk cloning utility (or Time Machine if you trust it), repair permissions, download the updater, verify your disk(s) with Disk Utility, reboot once before installing it, install it, leave the computer alone while it is installing the updater and check everything out afterwards to be sure it works.
  • Reply 78 of 144
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    fixed the most crippling bug i've ever encountered in osx:

- an issue with some PostScript Type 1 fonts not working properly

had to reboot into tiger once a month to use quark xpress. the horror!

i feel much better now...
  • Reply 79 of 144
    My only peeve with the 10.6.1 update was that it broke the sound preferences and changed the default output device to 'internal speakers' on every reboot. I reported this to Apple support, filled in feedback and hoped they'd work on a fix.

First thing I tried on 10.6.2, on first boot, audio defaults to 'internal speakers', so reset it correctly to 'line out' (at least that's the correct setting for me!), reboot 10.6.2 and low and behold, it doesn't work, it resets it back to 'internal speakers'.

A small, but totally un-necessary problem that should have got fixed.

This got introduced in 10.6.1, and is still there in 10.6.2.

To those who believe this was a new problem in 10.6.2, check the forums, it's not, you just got lucky last time! Also, would love to know if your temporary workarounds actually remain set after a subsequent reboot...
  • Reply 80 of 144
    Downloaded the combo updater and installed without issue.

Seems much snappier now and now all I need to do is buy a new mouse as the one I have is dying slowly.

I have noticed one thing has disappeared when repairing the permissions the

SUID regard private framworks and locum has now gone.

I will do some more testing of things later and post any issues I may find.