Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.2 with guest account bug fix

Comments

• Reply 101 of 144
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

Odd you should say that. Save As PDF doesn't work for me in 10.6.2 either, though it didn't crash my app, just didn't do anything, with the following message in my console:

10/11/2009 09:37:21\t[0x0-0x20020].com.microsoft.Word[422]\tWARNING: Font "Arial" with style 0 can't be handled by the imaging system. This document can't be drawn/printed with this font. ...

A typography nerd would say that anyone who *choses* to use Arial when Helvetica is always right there, deserves a crash.
  • Reply 102 of 144
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

i download update and it erased at least 80 gig of data on my eye tv

very unhappy

all my movies are gone

everybody beware

got any suggestions anybody how to get them back

please help

Shouldn't be running a HackenAppleTV in the first place. Should only be buying from iTunes.

Having said that - my Safari is running sloower now. iTunes is running strange but not sure if its this or the last iTunes update- they're all starting to blur together now.
  • Reply 103 of 144
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dvavvas View Post

Check System Preferences/ SOund/ Output / and select the internal speakers

The problem that some people are finding, as my friend did with his new Macbook with 10.6.1 factory installed, is that there is no other selection to make in the sound panel. Nada! No matter what you check in input or otherwise. He was going to go back to Apple early this week and have it checked out. Now with 10.6.2, I wonder if that would actually fix it for him.
  • Reply 104 of 144
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Can't blame the trolls. It's who they are. But I definitely blame AppleInsider for failing to control it. There is absolutely no reason for an Apple centric forum to allow the blatant trolling that goes on here. None. Rational critisim and opinion is one thing but the stuff posted here by the likes of Techstud and others is intentionally disruptive.

Again, this is AppleInsider's fault. They can control it. They refuse to do so. It makes them look impotent or, worse, supportive of the trolls.

WHat did I post that offends you so much? I had posted like one line!
  • Reply 105 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Can't blame the trolls. It's who they are. But I definitely blame AppleInsider for failing to control it. There is absolutely no reason for an Apple centric forum to allow the blatant trolling that goes on here. None. Rational critisim and opinion is one thing but the stuff posted here by the likes of Techstud and others is intentionally disruptive.

Again, this is AppleInsider's fault. They can control it. They refuse to do so. It makes them look impotent or, worse, supportive of the trolls.

It's not that simple. Techstud does have a viewpoint that's off center, but it's his right to say it, though it's annoying at times. There are others who come here for a quick swipe, and that's more like real trolling. But often, that turns out to not be true either. All sites have their trolls. If we start removing posts or banning everyone suspected of being a troll, then 20% of the posts will go. I don't think we want that.

Better to err on the conservative side.
  • Reply 106 of 144
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's not that simple. Techstud does have a viewpoint that's off center, but it's his right to say it, though it's annoying at times. There are others who come here for a quick swipe, and that's more like real trolling. But often, that turns out to not be true either. All sites have their trolls. If we start removing posts or banning everyone suspected of being a troll, then 20% of the posts will go. I don't think we want that.

Better to err on the conservative side.

I would think you're being a little too cautious. It's a very caustic crowd you have here. More often than not these 'debates' turn into simple name calling and insults. I frequent many discussion boards and this one is one of the more flame trodden.
  • Reply 107 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I would think you're being a little too cautious. It's a very caustic crowd you have here. More often than not these 'debates' turn into simple name calling and insults. I frequent many discussion boards and this one is one of the more flame trodden.

Yes, we do seem to get some problem children. What happens is that some of the articles get linked to in some Windows partisan sites, and people are told to come here and bother us, and so they do. Most of these people have never heard of AI, as they're PC users, and don't pay attention to the Mac side, except to joke about it.

It's been happening much more of late. I don't remember nearly as much of this earlier.
  • Reply 108 of 144
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

Yes, we do seem to get some problem children. What happens is that some of the articles get linked to in some Windows partisan sites, and people are told to come here and bother us, and so they do. Most of these people have never heard of AI, as they're PC users, and don't pay attention to the Mac side, except to joke about it.

It's been happening much more of late. I don't remember nearly as much of this earlier.

Thanks. At least you folks are aware of it. It makes for a much better site when you aren't wading through constant flame wars. A good debate is great. An ugly one just aggravates everyone, even those just reading along.
  • Reply 109 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Odd. Everyone on Macrumors with that hardware is reporting just the opposite.

Odd. That is not true at all.
  • Reply 110 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Same here. After the update...

NO SOUND!!! ZERO!!!

MUTE!!!

(MacBook Pro 5,1 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3)

Seems like a lot of people having issues are using relatively new Macs. I've never had a problem with my 2006 iMacs. One can only think that Apple's quality control has gone in the toilet the past few years - that plus the fact I'm forced to get a glossy screen means I'll never by updating to new hardware.
  • Reply 111 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

A typography nerd would say that anyone who *choses* to use Arial when Helvetica is always right there, deserves a crash.

I think you mean 'chooses'.

And Arial is one of two standard fonts for academic papers and for a lot of things in the business world.
  • Reply 112 of 144
    I would be very curious to know if this update fixes any of the previously reported issues connecting the 30" Cinema Display to the new unibody MacBook Pro series using the Display Port.

Anybody?
  • Reply 113 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by star-fish View Post

I think you mean 'chooses'.

And Arial is one of two standard fonts for academic papers and for a lot of things in the business world.

Arial is just the free version of Helvetica. The problem with it is that every company that makes it does it slightly differently, so that the spacing is always different. For properly formatted documents, that can be a problem if it's formatted in one program and printed out, or viewed from another that uses a different company's version.

We always used to tell our customers to avoid using fonts without a company specific origin, and a specific version.
  • Reply 114 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

That's already been answered earlier in the thread. One contains all of the drivers and all pieces of the update. The other contains only the updated pieces that a specific Mac needs when using Software Update.

Yep.

470: What's needed for every intel mac.

170: What's needed for your mac.
  • Reply 115 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krolingo View Post

* Save as PDF? Crashes the printing application

* Does anyone else see that nice *feature* ?

I have noticed this "feature" from the day I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Was hoping that 10.6.2 update would fix this, but I guess not. I have also had MS Word, PowerPoint, Pages, and Preview all periodically crash when trying to save a document. All of them (including saving web pages as PDF in Safari) successfully save , then crash.

I think I am going to have to do a clean or an archive and install again. I have three Macs but this "feature" only shows up on one.

Did you upgrade to snow leopard or did you do a clean install?
  • Reply 116 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Verloc View Post

Odd. That is not true at all.

Two posts, both about you being everyone.
  • Reply 117 of 144
    Quote:

Arial is just the free version of Helvetica. The problem with it is that every company that makes it does it slightly differently, so that the spacing is always different. For properly formatted documents, that can be a problem if it's formatted in one program and printed out, or viewed from another that uses a different company's version.

We always used to tell our customers to avoid using fonts without a company specific origin, and a specific version.

True. Kerning is not consistent between all the versions of Arial. The same for Helvetica and any other family that is a sibling.
  • Reply 118 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Verloc View Post

Graphics glitches STILL haven't been fixed (x3100)! WTF Apple?

Amateur hour.

Post your System Logs. Until then you behave as an amateur.
  • Reply 119 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

True. Kerning is not consistent between all the versions of Arial. The same for Helvetica and any other family that is a sibling.

It's easier when you use a typeface from a known vendor, who actually gives the version, so you can know what's happening.

Arial, usually being free, is often out on its own.

Often we had to track down some problem that was related to some font from an unknown vendor that was giving some problem or other.
  • Reply 120 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Not my document, but I should still be able to print it. At least get an error message if it fails, not just silently do nothing (or crash, as some people have reported).