Apple's Mini DisplayPort officially adopted by VESA

Comments

• Reply 101 of 260
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And why SD slots just now in 2009? I've been waiting over an hour for your answer???

The answer to that should be obvious. I use an SD slot about once every few months if I'm looking at some random digital pictures from vacation. You can't buy software on it at your local software store either. No video either..still on DVD and Blu-Ray.

It's a low priority tech that is easily serviced by a USB plugin.
  • Reply 102 of 260
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's not correct. Why don't you go and read up on this stuff before you post? You, and a few others just post what you THINK is correct much of the time. If you had actual information, much of the arguments would never happen.

No- you're the one misinformed. Is it 7.1?
  • Reply 103 of 260
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I mistyped that and corrected it to miniDP- where have you been?

I didn't see the corrected post. If you look at my response, you will see that you said Displayport. Am I supposed to wait to see if you correct all your posts before I respond? If so, I would have to wait forever, because many of your posts need correcting.
  • Reply 104 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

The answer to that should be obvious. I use an SD slot about once every few months if I'm looking at some random digital pictures from vacation. You can't buy software on it at your local software store either. No video either..still on DVD and Blu-Ray.

It's a low priority tech that is easily serviced by a USB plugin.

And how exactly is that cutting edge as it been around for ten years. Not to mention the amount of cameras that sync wirelessly now.
  • Reply 105 of 260
    Quote:

It has no sound for crying out loud!

Quote:

No- you're the one misinformed. Is it 7.1?

Is it always necessary for you to change topics when you're proven wrong? (And it can support up to 8 channels btw)
  • Reply 106 of 260
    Quote:

I didn't see the corrected post. If you look at my response, you will see that you said Displayport. Am I supposed to wait to see if you correct all your posts before I respond? If so, I would have to wait forever, because many of your posts need correcting.

It was obvious what I meant.

What's not obvious is how you think Display Port is currently used more than HDMI????????
  • Reply 107 of 260
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I stated DP is a professional tool not for the consumers which is why the iMac deserves HDMI.

Nonsense! Are you paying attention to anything here? You seem to be living in a bubble. When ALL ATI 58xx cards have DP outputs, including the cheap ones, how can you say that it's just a professional tool? How about all those $700 Dell computers? There are others as well.
  • Reply 108 of 260
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Don't forget his Paper Tiger dot matrix

Gold!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Both DP and HDMI are designed and perfectly capable of doing both.

Then you shouldn?t be objecting to the free standard with higher specs that is more future-forward, now should you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A lot of us agree, melgross! Please have AI do something about it - like, take him out to the woodshed, or put him to pasture, or something...... anything....

I second the motion. I think another time out is in order.

Quote:

Considering that 1.3 has been out for years, and not every device has it yet, and not all HDMI cables are capable of handling the highest specs of 1.3, are you going to call 1.4 a failure, if when a year from now, only a very few, high end components use it?

Excellent point.
  • Reply 109 of 260
    Quote:

And how exactly is that cutting edge as it been around for ten years. Not to mention the amount of cameras that sync wirelessly now.

Funny. I looked in my own post. I don't see anywhere that I called it cutting edge. I think it's a waste of time to discuss, but that's my own opinion. It's a niche technology that can easily be worked around if needed.
  • Reply 110 of 260
    Roll on the Micro and Nana Displayports!!
  • Reply 111 of 260
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

A lot of us agree, melgross! Please have AI do something about it - like, take him out to the woodshed, or put him to pasture, or something...... anything....

You don't have to worry about TechDud, look at his posts ... he's clearly starting to "lose it". It won't be long now.
  • Reply 112 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Is it always necessary for you to change topics when you're proven wrong?

It is and it isn't- that's the problem you see. Currently it's not used at all on some devices. And secondly nowhere does it ssupport 7.1.
  • Reply 113 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You don't have to worry about TechDud, look at his posts ... he's clearly starting to "lose it". It won't be long now.

Right- I'm MAD for HDMI!!!!!

help me - I'm being attacked in the Apple MiniDP matrix!!!
  • Reply 114 of 260
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Display Port will eventually be kicked to the curb just like firewire, another Apple baby, was- even by it's own parent.

DisplayPort is not an Apple technology, just the mini-DisplayPort connector.

FireWire wasn't "kicked to the curb" it is mostly used in higher-end or professional applications. It was created in a time when you either had thick, heavy, expensive SCSI cables for high transfer rates, or low bandwidth thinner and cheaper cables. It did what it needed to do and has reached its limits. Unfortunately USB is a poor alternative. Thank god I can still buy FireWire drives.
  • Reply 115 of 260
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

And why SD slots just now in 2009? I've been waiting over an hour for your answer???

Shouldn't you be working or something ... you know, instead of monitoring your favorite website?
  • Reply 116 of 260
    Quote:

??? Where did you get that quote from?
  • Reply 117 of 260
    Technical specifications:

Audio signal\tOptional; 1-8 channels; 16, or 24-bit linear PCM; 48, 96, or 192 kHz sampling rate; uncompressed; max. 6.144 Mbit/s bit rate

5.184 or 8.64 Gbit/s forward link channel supports high resolution displays with a single cable.†

8b/10b data transmission (up to 2.7 GHz symbol rate, up to four lanes).

Reduced bandwidth transmission for 15 meter cable (at least 1920x1080p60, 24 bpp).

Full bandwidth transmission for 2 meter cable.

Supports color depth of 6, 8, 10, 12 and 16 bits per color component.

Supports YCbCr color space (ITU-R BT.601-5 and BT.709-4), 4:2:2 chroma subsampling

Optional Dual-Mode support generates DVI/HDMI signal with a simple line-level conversion dongle.[14]

128-bit AES DisplayPort Content Protection (DPCP) support, and support for 40-bit High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) from version 1.1 onwards.

Supports internal and external connections so that one standard can be used by computer makers reducing costs.[15]

Open and extensible standard to help with broad adoption.

General and technical overviews can be downloaded at DisplayPort.org.

† Sample data rates required by various display resolutions using common vertical blanking methods, Gbit/s:

Resolution × frame rate × color depth\tNo blanking\tGTF\tCVT\tCVT-RB

1920 × 1080 × 60 Hz × 24 bpp\t2.99\t4.15\t4.15\t3.33

1920 × 1200 × 60 Hz × 30 bpp\t4.15\t5.79\t5.81\t4.62

2560 × 1600 × 60 Hz × 30 bpp\t7.37\t10.44\t10.46\t8.06

Note: bpp is the number of bits for each pixel; for RGB and YCbCr 4:4:4, the bpp value is three times the bits per color component (bpc); for YCbCr 4:2:2 subsampling, the bpp value is twice the bpc value.

It also seems to support pushing DVI and HDMI signals over the cable which is interesting and a good thing for compatibility.
  • Reply 118 of 260
    Quote:

It is and it isn't- that's the problem you see. Currently it's not used at all on some devices. And secondly nowhere does it ssupport 7.1.

Yeah you're right. This motherboard doesn't exist!

http://www.overclock3d.net/news.php?..._motherboard/1

EDIT: Since I know you don't actually like to thoroughly read articles, here's one that states it clearer:

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=newsdesc&news_no=718
  • Reply 119 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Shouldn't you be working or something ... you know, instead of monitoring your favorite website?

ok- i get the hint

mangia time anyway
  • Reply 120 of 260
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    edit: Pipped by DJRumpy.