Apple's Mini DisplayPort officially adopted by VESA

Comments

• Reply 81 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

No, just the standard in the devices that more commonly use it. I can guarantee you 110% that I can run higher than 1920x1080 coming from my video card using an hdmi cable. Absolutely has nothing to do with the cable (it's just pulses of 1's and 0's afterall.)

Sorry, am I reading this wrong? It most certainly has everything to do with the cable. The cable design spec of HDMI has bandwidth limitations before you get signal loss. There are only so many pulses you can send before you get signal loss.

DisplayPort design allows for more bandwidth - i.e. more pusles. It's that simple.
  • Reply 82 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

blah blah blather blather

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You are a problem.

A lot of us agree, melgross! Please have AI do something about it - like, take him out to the woodshed, or put him to pasture, or something...... anything....
  • Reply 83 of 260
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Corrected- MOST.

Walk into J and R and see for yourself.

Yes. Estimates are about 70%.

But it's been around for quite a while, and as I said earlier, it took five years before more than a few had it.

You're rarely fair in your assessments. Try to be, and give DP, which is really just starting out, a couple of years before you make your definitive statements about failure.
  • Reply 84 of 260
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Which is basically a serial version of DVI, a computer connection standard.

4096×2160 in 1.4

4 cents per device and $10,000 annually per company.

In the end the truth is that its copout. Both DP and HDMI are designed and perfectly capable of doing both.

If you owned a company, which would you choose? The royalty free option, or the one that takes away from your bottom line?
  • Reply 85 of 260
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Display Port will eventually be kicked to the curb just like firewire, another Apple baby, was- even by it's own parent.
  • Reply 86 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

4096×2160 in 1.4

Considering that 1.3 has been out for years, and not every device has it yet, and not all HDMI cables are capable of handling the highest specs of 1.3, are you going to call 1.4 a failure, if when a year from now, only a very few, high end components use it?
  • Reply 87 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

If you owned a company, which would you choose? The royalty free option, or the one that takes away from your bottom line?

The ones that's universally used the most and I'll make the most money off of- in this case HDMI.
  • Reply 88 of 260
    Quote:

Display Port will eventually be kicked to the curb just like firewire, another Apple baby, was- even by it's own parent.

Your ignorance grows daily.

You don't even know that DP was never an Apple technology.
  • Reply 89 of 260
    Quote:

Yes. Estimates are about 70%.

But it's been around for quite a while, and as I said earlier, it took five years before more than a few had it.

You're rarely fair in your assessments. Try to be, and give DP, which is really just starting out, a couple of years before you make your definitive statements about failure.

It has no sound for crying out loud!
  • Reply 90 of 260
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,687member
    Quote:

Not to the naked eye at six feet away which is where the majority of large screen displays will be viewed. Even still, the difference is splitting hairs.

What does the "naked eye" have to do with anything when you need the display's full resolution for desktop screen space? So you think it is better to have only 19200x1080 pixels instead of 2560x1600 pixels on a computer display? I always thought more pixels meant more screen space. What's the point of having them if the display connecter can't support the resolution?

Do you even know what you're arguing?

The point of the mini-DisplayPort was to be able to connect smaller devices to larger displays. mini-HDMI and mini-DVI couldn't handle the bandwidth required. Even on desktop systems it required dual channels to support larger resolution displays. Obviously a new standard was needed to support them.

Funny you lambast Apple for not supporting Blu-Ray. Well that's a counter argument to what you're debating here. If you sit 10+ feet away from your TV set, then why in the hell would you need Blu-Ray over regular DVD? You couldn't possibly notice the difference from your couch!
  • Reply 91 of 260
    Quote:

Your ignorance grows daily.

You don't even know that DP was never an Apple technology.

I mistyped that and corrected it to miniDP- where have you been?
  • Reply 92 of 260
    Quote:

I'm sure it will be, just like they've kicked several technologies to the curb when they outlived their usefulness, even universal technologies like floppy disks.
  • Reply 93 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

What does the "naked eye" have to do with anything when you need the display's full resolution for desktop screen space? So you think it is better to have only 19200x1080 pixels instead of 2560x1600 pixels on a computer display? I always thought more pixels meant more screen space. What's the point of having them if the display connecter can't support the resolution?

Do you even know what you're arguing?

The point of the mini-DisplayPort was to be able to connect smaller devices to larger displays. mini-HDMI and mini-DVI couldn't handle the bandwidth required. Even on desktop systems it required dual channels to support larger resolution displays. Obviously a new standard was needed to support them.

Funny you lambast Apple for not supporting Blu-Ray. Well that's a counter argument to what you're debating here. If you sit 10+ feet away from your TV set, then why in the hell would you need Blu-Ray over regular DVD? You couldn't possibly notice the difference from your couch!

I stated DP is a professional tool not for the consumers which is why the iMac deserves HDMI.

You've obviously never seen a blu-ray as you can, my friend, oh yes you can.
  • Reply 94 of 260
    Quote:

Actually it does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort
  • Reply 95 of 260
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

The ones that's universally used the most and I'll make the most money off of- in this case HDMI.

HDMI isn't universally used on a PC. I thought we already covered this earlier on this very page? I doubt that even double digits of folks use HDMI on a PC. I'm betting the video buffs, and those that occasionally hook it up to their TV. Possibly if they buy a monitor that supports it and supplies the cable. Most PC's ship with a DVI connector and cable.

I find it unlikely that folks would just go out and replace a serviceable DVI cable that came with their display or PC, just to try an HDMI connector.
  • Reply 96 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I'm sure it will be, just like they've kicked several technologies to the curb when they outlived their usefulness, even universal technologies like floppy disks.

And why SD slots just now in 2009? I've been waiting over an hour for your answer???
  • Reply 97 of 260
    Quote:

And why SD slots just now in 2009? I've been waiting over an hour for your answer???

Well, it was either that or a Blu-ray drive...
  • Reply 98 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

HDMI isn't universally used on a PC. I thought we already covered this earlier on this very page? I doubt that even double digits of folks use HDMI on a PC. I'm betting the video buffs, and those that occasionally hook it up to their TV. Possibly if they buy a monitor that supports it and supplies the cable. Most PC's ship with a DVI connector and cable.

I find it unlikely that folks would just go out and replace a serviceable DVI cable that came with their display or PC, just to try an HDMI connector.

PC laptops a plenty have HDMI to connect easily to the millions of HDTVs and monitors out there which have them and swappable cables allready attached to them.

Do any of you ever leave the Apple store? I mean -really!
  • Reply 99 of 260
    Quote:

That's not correct. Why don't you go and read up on this stuff before you post? You, and a few others just post what you THINK is correct much of the time. If you had actual information, much of the arguments would never happen.
  • Reply 100 of 260
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

MOST. I am changing it for crying out loud.

You know, if you would just try to be more accurate in your posts ... you might not have to change things. Remember .... it's quicker to get it right the first time, rather than do it over again. But then again .... being right was never your strong point, was it?