Apple's Mini DisplayPort officially adopted by VESA

Comments

• Reply 41 of 260
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No you're wrong. What HDTV/monitors use DP besides Apple's?? They all use HDMI. ALL of them.

FAct are facts.

No, I'm right. I'm not interested in HDTV's here. We're talking about computers, or have you forgotten already?

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

That search was really easy. Even you could do it.
  • Reply 42 of 260
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, you were the one who cited universality as the standard by which we should pick technologies.

When all the current HDTVs and monitors have HDMI built into them- guess what? That's universal.
  • Reply 43 of 260
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

We do? You have to go into the high end business sections of Dell, HP, ETC, to find any displays with regular displayport and Mini-DP one year later still has exactly one display. How many years have we heard that displayport is going to break out and become the standard only to have nothing happen? Right now its a failed connector until it proves otherswise.

Yeah, we do. Dell was supporting DP signaling before Apple ever did. YOu have HP, ATI, Nvidia, Dell. YOu?re not going to find it on cheap computers, but it is the display standard for the future.

Quote:

Well DVD is more universal, make up your mind.

Even when everyone tells him different he still holds to his ignorance. I?ve never seen someone be wrong so many times while still holding to their delusions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

It's part of the standard now. Anyone can use this as long as it's built to spec.

The more important question is, "Why isn't their audio when DP/mini-DP supports it?"

That is a good question. I hope the next MBPs support it.
  • Reply 44 of 260
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, I'm right. I'm not interested in HDTV's here. We're talking about computers, or have you forgotten already?

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

That search was really easy. Even you could do it.

OMG- you show me 1 or is that 2 others!????

FYI- HDTVs are also computer monitors.
  • Reply 45 of 260
    Quote:

When all the current HDTVs and monitors have HDMI built into them- guess what? That's universal.

Quite a few monitors don't have HDMI.

Can you give a link stating that all monitors have HDMI?
  • Reply 46 of 260
    Quote:

Apple doesn't own Mini DP. VESA now "Owns" it.

It took over five years before more than a couple of monitors got HDMI.

This will also take some time, but likely will move faster.

Monitors had DVI connectors for a very long time. HDMI to DVI cables existed as well. HDMI certified is a different thing though, and I think it has to do with the monitor being able to send a signal back through the cable telling the source it's ok to output protected material to it.
  • Reply 47 of 260
    Quote:

You are a problem.

There are dozens there. Are you simply too lazy to read any of it?
  • Reply 48 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Monitors had DVI connectors for a very long time. HDMI to DVI cables existed as well. HDMI certified is a different thing though, and I think it has to do with the monitor being able to send a signal back through the cable telling the source it's ok to output protected material to it.

SOME monitors have HDMI. By no means all, as Techstud is stating.
  • Reply 49 of 260
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

HDMI is better- more universal.

I would have to disagree with that. I don't know of a single manufacturer that supplies only HDMI outputs on a PC. Those are mainly to push output to a TV type device. As far as I know, they all still include a PC specific Port, which is what this standard would apply to. Replacing older DVI/VGA ports with a new higher bandwidth port.

Lets face it. Computer resolution needs aren't getting smaller or staying the same. They are getting larger every year.

I'm puzzled by this talk that it's failed as a standard. It was just now adopted as a standard, which is an important first step, no?
  • Reply 50 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Even when everyone tells him different he still holds to his ignorance. I?ve never seen someone be wrong so many times while still holding to their delusions.

That was an excellent point, and a glaring flaw in his argument.

If anything, this is better simply because it moves technology along. We should never settle on something just because everyone goes with it. If that was the case, we would still be using component video cables on our hdtv's and hdmi would never have been introduced.
  • Reply 51 of 260
    So is Audio mandated by any version of the standard over DP? I am waiting for Apple to update the firmware to support audio over DP through to HDMI! Any news on THAT?!
  • Reply 52 of 260
    Quote:

Wrong. We've already discussed this in a thread of which you were a part. Many Dell computers include Display ports, and all new ATI 58xx cards do. Nvidia based cards are also beginning to support Displayport.

Please stick to facts.

Like said Dells are mostly precision workstations and the the displays are only sold through the business store.

Also, most video chipsets have have displayport capability for a couple generations now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

So is Audio mandated by any version of the standard over DP? I am waiting for Apple to update the firmware to support audio over DP through to HDMI! Any news on THAT?!

Not a firmware issue. Displayport isn't wired to the audio on the motherboard.
  • Reply 53 of 260
    Quote:

SOME monitors have HDMI. By no means all, as Techstud is stating.

Just direct him to the 43 LCD monitors at newegg that don't have DVI or HDMI and be done with him

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=
  • Reply 54 of 260
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

FYI- HDTVs are also computer monitors.

No, they aren't. They are capable of displaying a signal from a PC, but when they can do all do edge to edge output without overscan, they are just compatible.
  • Reply 55 of 260
    Look... lets just clear the air about all of this:

HDMI is a consumer electronics minded standard. It is designed to hookup media devices for the playback of HD movies. The mostly widely adopted version of the HDMI standard is limited to 1920x1200 resolution. The latest standard will actually go up to 2650x1600. The standard is not capable to move beyond this (at this time). TVs and other media viewing products have no need to push beyond this level so more then likely this standard will stagnate from here (opinion).

DP is a standard for computers. It is designed to provide a great amount of throughput to push high-resolution high grade content. Its introductory support included 2650x1600 and can push much higher resolutions with the ability to grow. There are other important aspects to DP including the daisy chaining of displays (for multi-mon).

Now here is a big key.... the DP standard is royalty free! HDMI requires royalty. This makes DP a free standard where as HDMI not.

In the end... the truth is.... DP is for Computers and HDMI is for consumer electronics. The reading of the standards makes this very obvious and does not try to hide any aspect!
  • Reply 56 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

No, they aren't. They are capable of displaying a signal from a PC, but when they can do all do edge to edge output without overscan, they are just compatible.

Well, saying they are all monitors is like saying all cars are automobiles lol. It's obvious that if the TV is capable of displaying a 1920x1080 digital image (or even 1280x720) then it can act as a computer monitor, but are all computer monitors HDTV's? Of course not.

He wasn't wrong in what he said, it just didn't do much for his argument.
  • Reply 57 of 260
    Quote:

I don't believe that's correct.

That's definitely not correct.

Its available from Apple (in a unique form) and some workstations from HP and Dell and on third party video cards. Its stagnate.
  • Reply 58 of 260
    Quote:

Well, when they do, it will be, but I don't see how that supports your argument that we should then freeze the technology and live with it forever.
  • Reply 59 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

It seems as though the pinouts carry it. It's up to the software to utilize it.
  • Reply 60 of 260
    Relax, it's all right here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...ayport&x=0&y=0

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post

This annoys me so much I had to register to comment!

Its all very well making DisplayPort a standard if Apple themeselves supported it!. When I bought my MacBook Pro I explained to the nice man that I had a DisplayPort conected monitor and needed a mini-displayport to displayport cable, but Apple don't sell them! so making displayport a standard is no good if Apple themselves are not going to support it.