Apple overtakes Nokia to claim handset profit crown

Comments

• Reply 41 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrCompMan View Post

I've seen friendlier sites on Linux sites and they hate everyone.

You guys/gals even argue with each other.

I'll continue with ArsTechnica for my Mac forum reading. I've been reading the postings here and there is nothing but bashing each other and everything non Apple.

At least their feedback is very limited to the stuff I see here.

The stories of the 8 or 9 I've read and reviewed the postings are very arrogant people and clearly biased stories.

Some of the forum posters clearly need help in the real world.

Do you people really always have to be right and fight it to the end regardless of how clearly irrelevant it is to the article?

I'm confused. Did you expect to come to a web site called AppleInsider and not expect a lot of pro-Apple articles and pro-Apple posters on the forums? I happen to be one of the "fanboys", I guess, but have grown to respect, appreciate, and even agree more and more with some of the unbiased, non-"fanboy" posters on these threads (yes, even tekstud from time to time). I know some haven't and are much more vocal, but there is a place and a voice for everybody.

However, what I don't get, is why you are here making post after post anyway when you so clearly hate this venue. Go back to ArsTechnica, leave us alone, and we'll all forget this ever happened.
  • Reply 42 of 115
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Nokia also has a new operating system in the works, called Maemo.

Appleinsider, first with the news from 2005
  • Reply 43 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

As wonderful as this might seem from an Apple Fanboy point of view, do keep in mind that they are generating these high profits from *US*. I love my iPhone (and my Macs) and I happen to love AT&T (far better than Sprint, whom I had before), but I can't wait for Android, etc., to start growing and for multiple carriers to get the iPhone (not just Verizon) so that Apple (and the carriers) are forced to lower their profit margins a bit. Hopefully, this will happen in two years when my 3gs contract expires :-)

Wow, someone here has some sense, unless everyone on this site are Apple shareholders, that profit is coming out of your back pocket, which is bad for consumers
  • Reply 44 of 115
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Tecstud is just being a dick. As usual.

You are so out of here.

And you profit analogy is wrong on top of that. Didn't you read correctly - Apple does not dicslose profits by line.
  • Reply 45 of 115
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

This room is hopeless & lost. Nokia has gained 39% year over year and Rim is right behind them.

Apple is 8% growth in the phone market year over year.

That should have been the title of this article.

Really... what is the matter with you?

A research firm publishes some cell phone market (FINANCIAL!) stats... and they get reported!

How fuckin' hard is that for you to understand?

You want an article and related comment on phone market share? Well you'll find that here to.

canalys_q3_2009_iphone_rim_taking_over_smartphone_ marketl

Now quit crying!
  • Reply 46 of 115
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

How fuckin' hard is that for you to understand?

<edit>

Now quit crying!

Ouch! Shovel meet spade.
  • Reply 47 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I'm confused. Did you expect to come to a web site called AppleInsider and not expect a lot of pro-Apple articles and pro-Apple posters on the forums? I happen to be one of the "fanboys", I guess, but have grown to respect, appreciate, and even agree more and more with some of the unbiased, non-"fanboy" posters on these threads (yes, even tekstud from time to time). I know some haven't and are much more vocal, but there is a place and a voice for everybody.

However, what I don't get, is why you are here making post after post anyway when you so clearly hate this venue. Go back to ArsTechnica, leave us alone, and we'll all forget this ever happened.

There is a clear distinction between between being a satisfied user of a piece of tech and delusional. Edit (And so do the writers of the forum). Biased and not giving all the facts to an article.

A forum is supposed to be an exchange of knowledge based on the article given. This site fails on every level.

This site crosses that line.

I never used the term "fanboys" as you reference in your posting.

There is a place and a voice for everybody that appears to praise Apple. By the postings in the forum if you don't you are crusified.

I don't see this as a forum. I see it more as a cult of ugly people that share a common theme. Hate everything that is non Apple.

Edit 2. I have put this site on the banned list for my kids. It's clearly not reading for a young child to read. This site give all people a very negative reflection of what Apple is.
  • Reply 48 of 115
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And you profit analogy is wrong on top of that. Didn't you read correctly - Apple does not dicslose profits by line.

I did not make an analogy. I can read quite well thank you. You, on the other hand appear to only read selectively.

Quote:

Apple does not disclose profits by line, operating profit was estimated at nearly $1.6 billion in the third quarter of this year.....

Do you understand what "estimated" means?

If you have a problem with the methodology... or the results... then fine, rant about those but at least try to understand what is being said in the story.
  • Reply 49 of 115
    Do people really choose carriers based on what phones are available from said carriers? I used to have an iPhone, but hated AT&T, so went with the best available phone- Samsung Behold, T-Mobile offered. All things being equal, I think most who have spent some time with an iPhone would rather have one, than any other phone. Once the iPhone becomes available to most carriers, I imagine the phone wars will be over, with the iPhone ending up at the top, and all others fighting for 2nd place.
  • Reply 50 of 115
    Quote:

This room is hopeless & lost. Nokia has gained 39% year over year and Rim is right behind them.

Apple is 8% growth in the phone market year over year.

That should have been the title of this article.

Continue to argue amongst yourselves. You really do deserve each other.

This is in response to your comment about RIMM vs AAPL sales growth. From last earnings call: "In the September quarter, Apple sold almost 7.4m handsets. Sell-through was up 38% year over year ". Several websites can confirm this.
  • Reply 51 of 115
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Fail comprehension much?

Question: So how much of that is iPhone?

Answer: YOU DON'T KNOW- PERIOD.

ANd show me where Nokia has a whole line of dedicated music players- ipods from classics, to shuffles to Touches ????? Computers??? OS sales for those computers????? SOftware- Final cut . etc, etc.

Is there no limit to your warped bias??

The numbers in the article is ONLY for the iPhone.

Look here to see how that number was arrived at.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0091110?rpc=44

But I believe this includes the deferred income Apple gets from using the subscription model. Thus not all of the $4.5 Billion in revenue and $1.6 Billion in operating profit got reported in the last quarter report.

Apple total revenue reported for the last quarter came in at $9.9 Billion. Without the deferred iPhone income. Which was about $2 Billion. Their NET profit (iPhone, iPod, Macs, iTunes, etc.) came in at $1.67 Billion. Net profit is after taxes. Operating profit is revenue - cost to make product and cost to sell product (operating expense).

Make no mistake about. Apple is wiping the floor with Nokia when it comes to making money selling phones. Apple sold ONLY 7.4 Million iPhone during the last quarter. While Nokia sold over 108 Million phones during the period. But you wouldn't guess that by comparing their operating profits.
  • Reply 52 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

As wonderful as this might seem from an Apple Fanboy point of view, do keep in mind that they are generating these high profits from *US*. I love my iPhone (and my Macs) and I happen to love AT&T (far better than Sprint, whom I had before), but I can't wait for Android, etc., to start growing and for multiple carriers to get the iPhone (not just Verizon) so that Apple (and the carriers) are forced to lower their profit margins a bit. Hopefully, this will happen in two years when my 3gs contract expires :-)

I sure hope you pressed charges against that guy that held a gun to your head and made you buy the iPhone.
  • Reply 53 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Analysts estimate Apple's iPhone operating profit to be the highest in the mobile phone industry, overtaking market leader Nokia in the last financial quarter.

Reuters reports that although Apple does not disclose profits by line, operating profit was estimated at nearly $1.6 billion in the third quarter of this year, compared to $1.1 billion in profit by Nokia for the same period of time.

The news only serves to reiterate what has been known for some time: Apple, along with competitor Research in Motion, carries a much higher profit margin on its handsets than competitors. This summer, a report stated that though Apple and RIM together only control 5 percent of the cell phone market, they take 58 percent of its total operating profits.

Estimated $1.6 billion operating profits appears right.

7.4 million iPhones at $600 each and Apples stated gross margins of around 35% equals $1.6 billion (iPhone only) for the quarter.

Nothing innocuous here to be upset with. This report is only for brokers'/investors' recommendations.

Why anybody would be overly concerned here is beyond me.
  • Reply 54 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

7.4 million iPhones at $600 each and Apples stated gross margins of around 35% equals $1.6 billion (iPhone only) for the quarter.

You are assuming that Apple sells all their phones only in the US with exactly the smart margin
  • Reply 55 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You are assuming that Apple sells all their phones only in the US with exactly the smart margin

Let's see
    • "…that the company achieved a new record in iPhone sales as well, with 7.4 million units sold in the quarter ending in September 2009."*†

• "Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's Chief Financial Officer, also said that the Average Selling Price of iPhones in the quarter "was just over $600."*

• "Gross margin (Q4, 09) was 36.6 percent, up from 34.7 percent in the year-ago quarter…"†

* Apple's Q4 2009 conference call call. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...us_growth.html

† Apple Reports Fourth Quarter Results. http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/10/19results.html
  • Reply 56 of 115
    Quote:

Let's see

So why didn't you include that in the first place, rather than trying to look like a hero with the late information.
  • Reply 57 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So why didn't you include that in the first place, rather than trying to look like a hero with the late information.

I simply assumed that anybody with half a brain would recognized what I was saying.

I apologize for making an ass of me(self).
  • Reply 58 of 115
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

Apple total revenue reported for the last quarter came in at $9.9 Billion. Without the deferred iPhone income. Which was about $2 Billion. Their NET profit (iPhone, iPod, Macs, iTunes, etc.) came in at $1.67 Billion. Net profit is after taxes. Operating profit is revenue - cost to make product and cost to sell product (operating expense).

This is what I don't understand.

Apple reported a total profit of $1.67 billion and this report is stating that Apple's profit from the iPhone alone is $1.6 billion. Even adding in taxes, these figures suggest that 75% of Apple's profits are coming from the iPhone.

Surely that can't be correct?
  • Reply 59 of 115
    Quote:

I simply assumed that anybody with half a brain would recognized what I was saying.

I apologize for making an ass of me(self).

You shouldn't assume anything, after all if I did that, I would have to assume you are trying to insult he with that little piece of crap you call a posting.
  • Reply 60 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

This is what I don't understand.

Apple reported a total profit of $1.67 billion and this report is stating that Apple's profit from the iPhone alone is $1.6 billion. Even adding in taxes, these figures suggest that 75% of Apple's profits are coming from the iPhone.

Surely that can't be correct?

That is the deferred revenue. The non-GAAP for the quarter is $2.85 billion net profit income.
    PS: MS did $12.92 billion last quarter while Apple did $12.25 billion. Hard to believe that Apple is so close to MS? quarterly revenue.