Apple overtakes Nokia to claim handset profit crown

Comments

• Reply 61 of 115
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

This is what I don't understand.

Apple reported a total profit of $1.67 billion and this report is stating that Apple's profit from the iPhone alone is $1.6 billion. Even adding in taxes, these figures suggest that 75% of Apple's profits are coming from the iPhone.

Surely that can't be correct?

Apple only reported about $2.3 Billion of the $4.5 Billion in iPhone revenue this last quarter. They deferred $2.2 Billion of it. So the quarterly operating profit from iPhones would only be about $800 Million. And that's "OPERATING PROFIT". Deduct taxes of about $250 million and you get about $550 Million in "NET PROFIT". Which is about 30% of their quarterly "NET PROFIT" of $1.67 Billion.
  • Reply 62 of 115
    Quote:

Apple reported a total profit of $1.67 billion and this report is stating that Apple's profit from the iPhone alone is $1.6 billion. Even adding in taxes, these figures suggest that 75% of Apple's profits are coming from the iPhone.

Operating profit is the difference between price and the costs of bringing to market. It is gross and not net.

Note that the estimates for the iPhone in this report are not based on the same formula, i.e., subscription accounting) that has been used in accounting the sales in the quarterly report.

Quote:

Previously, the company divided iPhone revenue over 8 quarters under subscription accounting. Now it can report all of its iPhone and Apple TV in the quarter the devices are sold.

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphon...pproved-2009-9

Under the new accounting rule, all sales for the iPhone will be recorded in the quarter they were sold.
  • Reply 63 of 115
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

* Apple's Q4 2009 conference call call. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...us_growth.html

? Apple Reports Fourth Quarter Results. http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/10/19results.html

Let's see

I looked at both links, the only one that has the average price is the Appleinsider link, which since it is written by Prince McLean isn't really worth anything, can you provide an actual link with actual information.
  • Reply 64 of 115
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is the deferred revenue. The non-GAAP for the quarter is $2.85 billion net profit income.

Aha, thanks for clearly that up. This is why I'm not an accountant.
  • Reply 65 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrCompMan View Post

There is a clear distinction between between being a satisfied user of a piece of tech and delusional. Edit (And so do the writers of the forum). Biased and not giving all the facts to an article.

A forum is supposed to be an exchange of knowledge based on the article given. This site fails on every level.

This site crosses that line.

I never used the term "fanboys" as you reference in your posting.

There is a place and a voice for everybody that appears to praise Apple. By the postings in the forum if you don't you are crusified.

I don't see this as a forum. I see it more as a cult of ugly people that share a common theme. Hate everything that is non Apple.

Edit 2. I have put this site on the banned list for my kids. It's clearly not reading for a young child to read. This site give all people a very negative reflection of what Apple is.

I been away for a couple days and missed the amusement. You have every right not to take part on this site and make your comments. But what surprises me, is after you said you are leaving, you can't resist to post 4-5 more comments and show, how childish you are.
  • Reply 66 of 115
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Kudos to Apple. They are the company of the first decade of the 21st century. Let's see how the game will be played in the next decade!

Do you mean 2000/12/31 - 2010/12/31 or 1999/12/31 - 2009/12/31 ?

• Reply 67 of 115
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

I did not make an analogy. I can read quite well thank you. You, on the other hand appear to only read selectively.

Do you understand what "estimated" means?

If you have a problem with the methodology... or the results... then fine, rant about those but at least try to understand what is being said in the story.

AT least I can "understand" why X Company's operating profits cannot be compared with Y Company's when they operating in two separate industries yet may share one product line. I don't flame on when I'm proven wrong.
  • Reply 68 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Do you mean 2000/12/01 - 2010/12/31 or 1999/12/31 - 2009/12/31 ?

Ask solipsism - he's the decade genius. ANd he'll give you Gregorian links to prove it.

Seriously we all know its 1/1/00 to 12/31/09 at least that's how we refer to as "Of the decade" in the modern age in the US. Not quite sure what world he lives.
  • Reply 69 of 115
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Let's see

I looked at both links, the only one that has the average price is the Appleinsider link, which since it is written by Prince McLean isn't really worth anything, can you provide an actual link with actual information.

Try this. Last sentence of 3rd paragraph is what you're looking for.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...nference-call/
  • Reply 70 of 115
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Ask solipsism - he's the decade genius. ANd he'll give you Gregorian record to prove it.

Once you go Mayan you never go Cayan.

Oh wait....once you go black you never go back...once you go cayan you never go Mayan.... yeah that's better.

EDIT: I just noticed your sig LOL
  • Reply 71 of 115
    Quote:

That's because that IS their total profit. It's plainly written in the article! Apple doesn't give out line by line figures. Apple should not be compared to Nokia in their bottom line. Maybe SOny but certainly not Nokia for crissake!

Be very care who you listen to on here.
  • Reply 72 of 115
    g77g77 Posts: 4member
    No, it isnt.
  • Reply 73 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'd keep the iPhone but leave it in the car when I fish if I were you. That makes me think.. what would it cost to replace a lost one ... I can't see AT&T kicking in and insurance companies might balk at taking one in a boat .. \

What kind of way is that to live?! In fear of loss? At the behest of insurance companies? That's really sad, man!
  • Reply 74 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

?We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.?

\t- Palm CEO Ed Colligan, commenting on then-rumored Apple iPhone, Nov. 16, 2006

LOL, what a buffoon, I bet he's kicking himself so hard right now, and too busy trying to clone the iPhone down to the last detail, not to mention poaching employees from apple.
  • Reply 75 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

. . .Now if I can get the iPhone apps on a computer...it's stupid not having those 100,000 apps on a computer too.

WTF?

You speak out of ignorance of the simple fact that the iPhone has a distinctly different interface than a Mac, which is why they're designed and programmed differently from the get-go. There's also the fundamental difference in distribution between the App Store and whatever else Mac apps have to deal with. That's WTF!
  • Reply 76 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrCompMan View Post

The article is clearly biased and not giving the entire story. I'm just making sure the readers (like myself) that see an article on my google home page and click it don't get the wrong impression and read the entire story on a site that appears to be much more open to giving the entire story than this site is.

The article makes it sound like Nokia and RIM are closing the doors and they are seeing better year over year growth than the single iPhone.

Year over year growth does say a lot about a mindshare in the market. Apple clearly doesn't have it and Android numbers haven't won't even be worth checking for a couple quarters. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull a segment of the appphone market share from everyone.

This is a forum not a cheer leading session. If a site is going to post a story. Give the entire picture. 7% year over year gain is poor given the market.

You seem to want to rely on these silly publications for your data and for their particular evaluations of that data. It's a *gleaning* process, not a believe-everything-you-read process. It's a long-standing tradition spanning centuries that newspapers are each their own mouthpiece of various vested interests. Your petty protests aren't about to change any of that.

So learn to use your own eyes and ears. Provide your own best counsel, and move on, for cryin' out loud!
  • Reply 77 of 115
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

AT least I can "understand" why X Company's operating profits cannot be compared with Y Company's when they operating in two separate industries yet may share one product line.

Yes, but what you fail to understand (or are just ignoring!) is that this article (and the research from which it was derived) is NOT comparing Apple's TOTAL operating profits to Nokia's.

The article compares iPhone operating profits to Nokia's figures. Nokia and the iPhone both compete in the cell phone market.

Quote:

I don't flame on when I'm proven wrong.

Actually, that's exactly what you are doing.
  • Reply 78 of 115
    Quote:

That's because that IS their total profit. It's plainly written in the article! Apple doesn't give out line by line figures. Apple should not be compared to Nokia in their bottom line. Maybe SOny but certainly not Nokia for crissake!

Be very care who you listen to on here.

thats good point, I am very careful
  • Reply 79 of 115
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Now we know why Nokia is suing Apple.

Sore losers.

They are suing Apple cause they say Apple ripped off some of their patents, which is actually possible you know.
  • Reply 80 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It’s quite amazing to have this recorded evidence of a paranoid delusional in one location over this much time. He’s always wrong yet he has never once admitted to it. His family must love to be around him on the holidays.