Apple overtakes Nokia to claim handset profit crown

Comments

• Reply 81 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's because that IS their total profit. It's plainly written in the article! Apple doesn't give out line by line figures. Apple should not be compared to Nokia in their bottom line. Maybe SOny but certainly not Nokia for crissake!

Be very care who you listen to on here.

According to the report, Apple's operating profit was $1.6 billion on sales of 7.4 million iPhones, generating revenue of $4.5 billion. Nokia's profit was $1.1 billion on sales of 108.5 million phones, generating revenue of $10.36 billion (€6.9 billion).

taken from Business Insider

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...-nokia-2009-11

To that is iPhone profits and not total profit figures for Apple.
  • Reply 82 of 115
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I love MAC OS. How exactly does that relate to my post?

Us unbiased folk here are constantly labeled trolls, complainers, whiners for not participating in their cheerleading squad.

I criticize Apple all the time. I invented the quote: "The only healthy relationship you can have with Apple as a love-hate one. Too much hate and you are being dishonest, and too much love and you are being naive." Apple make some great products and decisions and some awful decisions, and arguably some awful products - i.e. Magic Mouse etc. For better of for worse they are one of the best product companies around at the moment, and they have by far the best computer OS.

The thing about you though--from my point of view, is you often contradict yourself. I've seen at a few times, when your argument gets flakey you bring up unrelated stuff to try to make your point. I have been very wrong in the past on the forums here, but the lads will tell you I am quick to apologize when I see it. You either do not see it or just refuse to apologize for doing what you did and saying what you said.

There is no point in getting defensive and trying to attack me for pointing this out, as I say I'm just pointing it out. In the past when I spotted you do this you'll remember I tell you to take a coffee or tea break, or get some rest. You probably take this forum too seriously. Sometimes you need to laugh at others, and yourself. That "yourself" part is particularly important.

And you can disagree with everyone here without being in a constant whine too, it's actually possible. The trick is being honest, but never defensive.
  • Reply 83 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

According to the report, Apple's operating profit was $1.6 billion on sales of 7.4 million iPhones, generating revenue of $4.5 billion. Nokia's profit was $1.1 billion on sales of 108.5 million phones, generating revenue of $10.36 billion (?6.9 billion).

taken from Business Insider

To that is iPhone profits and not total profit figures for Apple.

He?s been given the direct link to Apple?s quarterly reports with GAAP and non-GAAP accounting and direct statements to the number of iPhones sold and the average selling price and profit margin. I don?t think he could pour water out of a boot if the directions were on the sole.
  • Reply 84 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t think he could pour water out of a boot if the directions were on the sole.

I'm writing that one down.
  • Reply 85 of 115
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I criticize Apple all the time. I invented the quote: "The only healthy relationship you can have with Apple as a love-hate one. Too much hate and you are being dishonest, and too much love and you are being naive." Apple make some great products and decisions and some awful decisions, and arguably some awful products - i.e. Magic Mouse etc. For better of for worse they are one of the best product companies around at the moment, and they have by far the best computer OS.

The thing about you though--from my point of view, is you often contradict yourself. I've seen at a few times, when your argument gets flakey you bring up unrelated stuff to try to make your point. I have been very wrong in the past on the forums here, but the lads will tell you I am quick to apologize when I see it. You either do not see it or just refuse to apologize for doing what you did and saying what you said.

There is no point in getting defensive and trying to attack me for pointing this out, as I say I'm just pointing it out. In the past when I spotted you do this you'll remember I tell you to take a coffee or tea break, or get some rest. You probably take this forum too seriously. Sometimes you need to laugh at others, and yourself. That "yourself" part is particularly important.

And you can disagree with everyone here without being in a constant whine too, it's actually possible. The trick is being honest, but never defensive.

PUh-leeze no one laughs more at themselves than moi.

And no whine either.

There is nothing recherché or fanboi delusional about my posts either.

Are you a therapist? Take a rest- HA!
  • Reply 86 of 115
    Quote:

And no whine either.

There is nothing recherché or fanboi delusional about my posts either.

Are you a therapist? Take a rest- HA!

Maybe not fanboi delusional but delusional none-the-less (atleast when it comes to this article)

Anyways I found this link from earlier this year pretty much predicted this was going to happen:

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...profits-2009-6

Notice over time the Pink(Apple) and Teal(RIM) portions getting bigger while Blue(Nokia) is getting smaller.
  • Reply 87 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Let's see

I looked at both links, the only one that has the average price is the Appleinsider link, which since it is written by Prince McLean isn't really worth anything, can you provide an actual link with actual information.

Absolutely. As presented by Peter Oppenheimer, Apple?s CFO on October 19, 2009 during their Q4 2009 financial results conference call:
    • LIVE ANALYSIS: Apple Delivers Monster Quarter, Blows Away Whispers (AAPL)

http://philsbackupsite.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/

Quote:

5:40: iPhone ASP went up, is it just sales or currency? iPhone ASP over $600, rebalancing ending channel inventory toward 3GS. On sequential basis, yes ASP up a bit in the portable space. A little benefit from the dollar, a small positive.

• iPhone Money Trail

http://meownewsletter.com/2009/10/26...e-money-trail/

Quote:

Peter Oppenheimer, Apple?s Chief Financial Officer, said that the Average Selling Price of iPhones in the quarter ?was just over $600. This reflects both high mix of 3GS sellthrough and benefits of rebalancing the ending channel inventory toward the 3GS.?

• Live Update: Apple Financials

http://www.macworld.com/article/1432...iveupdate.html

Quote:

Dan Moren - 2:41:56?Opp: iPHone ASP in quarter just over $600, high mix of 3GS sell-thru, and benefit of rebalancing ending channel inventory more towards 3GS. On a sequential basis, ASPs were up a bit, in portable space, was a function of higher mix new MacBook Pros.

By the way AHOLE, what the f**k is your problem?
  • Reply 88 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Maybe not fanboi delusional but delusional none-the-less (atleast when it comes to this article)

Anyways I found this link from earlier this year pretty much predicted this was going to happen:

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...profits-2009-6

Notice over time the Pink(Apple) and Teal(RIM) portions getting bigger while Blue(Nokia) is getting smaller.

Really? Would you compare McDonalds to DAiry Queen's bottom line? They both sell soft ice cream and I believe at some Dairy Queens you can get a burger here and there.
  • Reply 89 of 115
    Quote:

Really? Would you compare McDonalds to DAiry Queen's bottom line? They both sell soft ice cream and I believe at some Dairy Queens you can get a burger here and there.

For cripes sake, the posted link refers to Deutsche Bank's analysis of the Mobile Phone Maker's Operating Profit Share for their cell phones, not anything else, e.g., Apple's computers/iPods/Software, etc., they may produce or sell.

Just like this article here.

Ref: Wrong again
  • Reply 90 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It?s quite amazing to have this recorded evidence of a paranoid delusional in one location over this much time. He?s always wrong yet he has never once admitted to it. His family must love to be around him on the holidays.

The amazing thing is that he's always wrong. You'd think, just by chance, that maybe he'd be right about something, sometime, like a clock that's stopped being right twice a day.
  • Reply 91 of 115
    Quote:

I'm honestly baffled how you still don't get it. What's so hard about saying you're wrong? They're comparing mobile phone profit to mobile phone profit (and nothing else!). I don't see why that's a problem.
  • Reply 92 of 115
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

How could anyone possibly laugh at themselves more than you. You are so funny after all.
  • Reply 93 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkwalsh4 View Post

i'm honestly baffled how you still don't get it. What's so hard about saying you're wrong? They're comparing mobile phone profit to mobile phone profit (and nothing else!). I don't see why that's a problem.

Because I'm NOT wrong. Apple and Nokia should not be compared as companies. Your links hvae benn p[rvoen wrong. AppleInsider is even telling you APple DOES NOT list its profits by line. COMPRENDEZ?????
  • Reply 94 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How could anyone possibly laugh at themselves more than you. You are so funny after all.

As opposed to being pompous?
  • Reply 95 of 115
    Quote:

because i'm not wrong. Apple and nokia as a company should not be compared.

So you're saying if two companies don't make exactly the same stuff they shouldn't be compared? So your 90% vs 10% argument with MS and Apple is baseless. MS makes the OS and Apple makes the OS/hardware but also iPod/iPhones/etc. They shouldn't as a company be compared. Do you ever follow your own logic?
  • Reply 96 of 115
    Quote:

Because I'm NOT wrong. Apple and Nokia should not be compared as companies. Your links hvae benn p[rvoen wrong. AppleInsider is even telling you APple DOES NOT list its profits by line. COMPRENDEZ?????

Please point me to where\\how they have been proven wrong? I swear you are losing it. (And my links weren't the only ones in this thread.)

Who has proven this wrong?

Do you work for Nokia? For someone who has an iPhone you really can't comprehend that Apple has more profits (in the mobile phone area).
  • Reply 97 of 115
    Quote:

Techstud, serious question.

Every time you get yourself into one of these situations where everyone in a thread seems against you, do you ever, even for a second, stop and ask yourself, "Wait a minute, why does everyone see something one way and I seem to be seeing something totally opposite."
  • Reply 98 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Techstud, serious question.

Every time you get yourself into one of these situations where everyone in a thread seems against you, do you ever, even for a second, stop and ask yourself, "Wait a minute, why does everyone see something one way and I seem to be seeing something totally opposite."

That's a rhetorical question, right?
  • Reply 99 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That's a rhetorical question, right?

It can be taken as advice too.
  • Reply 100 of 115
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It really makes me sad that so many threads get gnarly because of a few trolls and the dedicated churlish. Really, it seems to happen a lot now, trolls and cranks new and old immediately begin beating their drum at every bit of upside news for Apple. And, of course, anyone noticing that you're simply a straight-up douche bag is a "fanboy." Didn't used to be like that.

At any rate, as far as the "only a fanboy could welcome Apple profits that come out of their user's wallets" notion: the iPhone upfront cost and data plan are exactly the same as, say, the Droid.

Where have been the posts complaining about Droid costs? Why is this "obscene profit" thing only relevant when we're talking about Apple?