Conflicting reports within Qualcomm suggest Verizon-only iPhone

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 161
    Argue all you want about Verizon's "dead end" technology, no simultaneous voice and data, no international roaming, etc., etc. But one fact makes all of that irrelevant; The SIGNAL! Simply put, Verizon and CDMA has more coverage in more places than AT&T and GSM does. It's a simple fact. No arguments! Believe me, I know. I have an iPhone with AT&T, but also have an older Verizon phone that I kept because AT&T's network has zero coverage in areas that I often travel to

I know many here live in large metro areas and never travel into the heartland, and therefore the networks all seem the same. Well, let me tell you, once you get out into suburban and rural areas and several miles from the interstate, there ARE many places with zero GSM coverage. In fact, in my immediate area, there are a couple of whole counties that have no GSM coverage at all, but have great CDMA signals. Also, in my area the two companies that own the primary band are both CDMA (Verizon and U.S. Cellular). The GSM companies are relegated to the weaker, higher band in my area. Therefore, AT&T has spent no money in upgrades in my area and only covers along interstate paths in the rural areas.

So don't get me wrong, I LOVE my iPhone and would never give it up, but if I had the chance to dump two accounts and have my iPhone on Verizon, I would do it in an instant. And yes, I would gladly give up simultaneous data/voice and international roaming. Because, as Apple surely knows, there are customers outside of the top 20 metro areas who base their decision on the network solely. And these are the people you call "fanboys", who are diehard Verizon customers. Verizon has committed to bringing service to these areas for years, and AT&T and the GSM providers have not. That's why these people are so loyal to Verizon. And this IS a significant market that is often overlooked. I'm sure Apple realizes this as well. Also, as far as the new 4G LTE technology goes, it will be many years past 2012 before we ever see it in rural areas. So the argument that CDMA will be dead in a couple of years is ridiculous for those living in these areas. I'm sure LTE will be rolled out eventually, but just like broadband, etc., we will be left out for years and years to come.

Anyway, enough of my ranting My basic point though; there is an untapped market for Apple that is devoted (and often dependant) on Verizon's superior network. Therefore, what would Apple have to lose by making a CDMA phone for this untapped market? Nothing.