Apple tablet speculation: high-end graphics, several models

Comments

• Reply 101 of 180
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

What?

Sorry if you couldn't comprehend what I wrote.

Quote:

WTF?

Apple traditionally does leading edge software, not hardware. The iPhone is a good example.

If it doesn't have OSX, there will be little point to it, IMO.
  • Reply 102 of 180
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Tablet products as of late? HP use to have a Tablet not sure if they do anymore because no one bought it. E-readers like Kindle and Sony are not very popular.

Give me an example of a hot selling tablet. This tablet would have to appeal to Windows users to be widely popular, just like the iPod and iPhone. If its only popular with Apple users then its going to go the way of Apple TV.

So please tell me what Tablet currently on the market is selling like crazy

The tablet market isn't selling like crazy, but we are seeing a new wave of tablets in a form factor similar to what is predicted of Apples. If you haven't been paying attention, I'm talking about the likes of archos, crunchpad, the Nvidia concept (looks like a big iPhone), etc. The old type of tablet (laptop with touchscreen and swivel hinge added) never seemed to take off, but a lot of companies are putting significant development resources into this smaller, keyboardless form factor. They must think something is in the air.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He does have a point. It’s not dead, but it is stagnant. Same thing for the smartphone market before Apple jumped in.

Even Win7’s multi-touch capabilities are still working off the absurd idea of using a desktop OS for a tablet device. It seems only logical that Apple will create a Tablet OS somewhere between the iPhone and Mac OSes, designed specifically for the device. MS seems out of that game with Android and Maemo the closest to play catch up once Apple announces their mythical tablet.

As I stated above, the traditional tablet market would be the stagnant one. There seems to be a lot of development resources put into tablets similar to what is expected of Apple. I agree that Windows 7 as a touch platform is not ideal, and Apples solution will likely blow it away. In my above statement I forgot about the android and Maemo tablet concepts I read about too. Those combined with the previous examples are exactly what I was talking about, and why I would argue that this new market is not stagnant.

Edit: To keep things in perspective, what I originally disagreed with was "The tablet market is dead there is no game to change" so I don't think he had a point at all. As I have indicated, the game is already changing and Apple will probably be the company that comes in and really gets the ball rolling on change. I've never seen so much development time and resources spent on a dead market that has no hope of revitalization.
  • Reply 103 of 180
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Tablet products as of late? HP use to have a Tablet not sure if they do anymore because no one bought it. E-readers like Kindle and Sony are not very popular.

Give me an example of a hot selling tablet. This tablet would have to appeal to Windows users to be widely popular, just like the iPod and iPhone. If its only popular with Apple users then its going to go the way of Apple TV.

I agree with you that there is no market for tablets right now. The problem with tablets today is that they are basically standard Windows PCs with pen/touch input and they are expensive compared to other Windows PCs. Just look at touch screen phones before and after the iPhone. Touch screen phone existed before the iPhone but were not as successful as after the iPhone. Apple need to reinvent the tablet if they want it to be a success.
  • Reply 104 of 180
    Quote:

The tablet market is dead there is no game to change.

Simple solution.

Apple reviatlizes the market and everyone and their dog will want one.

You know, what usually happens when Apple enters a market already thriving, dormant, or dead.

Rmember: these are the same people that make Macs, OS X, iPod Touches and iPhones.
  • Reply 105 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

Add wacom-like pen sensitivity I'd be all over that thing, perfect for presentations or sketching on a plane.

"There are mother****ing slates on this mother****ing plane!"
  • Reply 106 of 180
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Which is why we would expect a "tablet" from Apple to be as different from existing Windows devices as the iPhone was from Windows Mobile.
  • Reply 107 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Apple need to reinvent the tablet if they want it to be a success.

Any doubt that Apple will do just that?

They reinvented the MP3 player. Several times over. They reinvented the smartphone. I'm pretty sure Apple is 1) aware of the current state of the tablet market, and 2) aware of what it takes to revitalize it and then own it.
  • Reply 108 of 180
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Apple traditionally does leading edge software, not hardware. The iPhone is a good example.

If it doesn't have OSX, there will be little point to it, IMO.

Is there not a physical layer that can interpret multi-touch or is that purely in software? Is Display Port signaling not pushing the envelope on the next standard is computer display capabilities? Were they not the first to move all their new machines to LED backlights? Were they not the first to embrace USB across the board? How about FW400 and FW800? What about using li-poly battery tech with 1000 charge cycles? What about the unibody cases? What about removing environmentally unfriendly chemicals from their components across the board? I have a Mac Pro that I never hear and yet this morning I heard the notebook fan of the person sitting next to me and of my HP Media Smart home server. What about the magnetic latch system for their notebook lids and power cables? What about slim design that makes even the 17? MBP relatively easy to carry? What about the keyboard feel being better than anything else I?ve ever used? or the durability of their systems compared to other manufacturers? Have you seen how well designed their MoBos are? I think I first saw 1000BASE-T ethernet with auto-sensing Rx/Tx on Macs before it was standard anywhere else. What about their iPods not requiring an army of AA batteries to be useful? What about Apple replacing the unused PF keys with things that control the basic HW without having to hold down the function key? There seems to be a lot of little things over the years that have added up a more consumer friendly machine. But wait, your argument is that they use the same Intel CPUs that other PC vendors can use so they are exactly the same. Is that right?
  • Reply 109 of 180
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Any doubt that Apple will do just that?

They reinvented the MP3 player. Several times over. They reinvented the smartphone. I'm pretty sure Apple is 1) aware of the current state of the tablet market, and 2) aware of what it takes to revitalize it and then own it.

I am sure they will and we were given hints, by Apple, about what to expect
  • Reply 110 of 180
    Quote:

I am sure they will and we were given hints, by Apple, about what to expect

We can be sure that the rumour-mill will be operating overtime, which will only fuel interest!
  • Reply 111 of 180
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

... If it doesn't have OSX, there will be little point to it, IMO.

Apple uses OS X for every computer and device they make. I don't see what you're getting at.

If you're talking about the current desktop version of OS X (Snow Leopard), then you couldn't have it more backwards.

Almost every tablet ever made runs a desktop OS, but uses a pen instead of a mouse. They have all done miserably in the market. The only ones that were successful, well liked, popular etc. were those that had an OS designed specifically for them (Newton, Palm).

An almost certain recipe for failure, would be to put Snow Leopard on tablet hardware and give the user a pen for input. People keep saying that if the tablet won't run the "full" OS X they won't buy it or it's a "fail" but given the history of these devices, the reverse is more likely to be true.
  • Reply 112 of 180
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

If you want to write and draw just buy a moleskin!

I doubt a file system is that much to ask for. It could run in a single-application mode of sorts, but I'd imagine variants of mail, address book, iWork (maybe not iLife) would be available. I hope the new product, whatever it is, comes closer to iPhone like levels of utility than that of the Apple TV.

The prospect of it not being a "full on" computer... are you assuming it will be tied to iTunes?

I guess I wasn't clear.

By "full on" I mean that people seem to expect it will be like a laptop and run all the same programs a laptop will, when IMO it will almost certainly be similar to the iPhone and sync it's content with your "main" computer instead of replacing your main computer.

One would sync books, movies and music to it like an iPod and whatever documents you are working on. But it wouldn't be designed as a stand alone computer although it could be used that way. At least that's what I expect.

As for writing and drawing, I already do it on paper, the idea was I want a computer that can do it. Right now the drawing part is only possible on a desktop, so I have to do it at home (and the writing part as well unless I want to use a laptop, which is too cumbersome for my needs).

I want a portable device that I can write and draw on. I've only been waiting 30 years or so, and I'm kinda hoping this is it.
  • Reply 113 of 180
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

You know, what usually happens when Apple enters a market already thriving, dormant, or dead.

Rmember: these are the same people that make Macs, OS X, iPod Touches and iPhones.

It doesn't matter if everyone wants one or not, it will be the fact it they can afford one. Remember all those products you listed have a low market share in their overall markets.
  • Reply 114 of 180
    Quote:

I agree with you that there is no market for tablets right now. The problem with tablets today is that they are basically standard Windows PCs with pen/touch input and they are expensive compared to other Windows PCs. Just look at touch screen phones before and after the iPhone. Touch screen phone existed before the iPhone but were not as successful as after the iPhone. Apple need to reinvent the tablet if they want it to be a success.

Exactly. The only two tablets I have tried in the past were ones made by HP and fujitsu. Both were Windows Xp based systems, very low specs on the computers and teh screens were awful.

I would love if Apple can actually pull this off and come out with a good tablet. I just havent seen one to date and even teh e-readers aren't very popular. I'm just not sure I see this looking like a 10 inch iPod touch or iPhone.
  • Reply 115 of 180
    I think it's funny that the analysts think the tablet will "kill" e-readers like the Kindle. More like "dent" e-readers. As long as the tablet is way more expensive, which it will be, it won't kill that market.

Also it doesn't use e-ink, and some people will always prefer that for hardcore reading, particularly when they eventually become available in color. E-readers won't die, but they will drop in price considerably. (In fact, that's already happening.) If you're interested in single purpose reading device, e-readers will hold the edge. Apple would have to release a device priced to compete head-on, just as the iPod was a single purpose device made to compete head-on with other mp3 players.

Or to put it simply. If you're a poor high school or college student (and even more to the point, you already have a laptop), are you buying a 100-250 dollar e-reader, or a 600-900 dollar tablet? Exactly.

There are so many interesting questions we have no answers to regarding this tablet. Will it allow pen-input for note-taking? What kind of operating system will it run-- is it a mac or just a glorified iPod Touch? Will it have an OLED screen?

Time will tell.
  • Reply 116 of 180
    Quote:

Simple solution.

I don't disagree with you on this. My point was there is really no game now because every tablet to date has sucked. This is a product I really want and would be willing to spend up to 1000.00 if it met my needs. I don't think most people would be willing to spend that much but if the price is right I think it could be a very good seller. This is without a doubt one of the top things I would be looking for in 2010.
  • Reply 117 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Raltenbach View Post

"There are mother****ing slates on this mother****ing plane!"

I'm tired of these MOTHER****ING SLATES ON THIS MOTHER****ING PLANE! Good one!
  • Reply 118 of 180
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

I don't disagree with you on this. My point was there is really no game now because every tablet to date has sucked. This is a product I really want and would be willing to spend up to 1000.00 if it met my needs. I don't think most people would be willing to spend that much but if the price is right I think it could be a very good seller. This is without a doubt one of the top things I would be looking for in 2010.

I guess I misunderstood you. I read (and I don't think I'm alone) "The tablet market is dead there is no game to change" as a statement that an Apple tablet cannot succeed.

Edit: And these are some of the new wave of tablets in the pipeline that I was talking about. These things are more than ever designed to be first and foremost tablets, although the archos one does run windows 7, which is still primarily a cursor based OS (I guess that is the cost of actually having your tablet on the market right now). I would see these as hints at where the market is headed, and what an Apple tablet could really expand upon.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/15/c...een-300-and-4/

http://www.archos.com/products/nb/ar...try=ca&lang=en

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/10/n...gra-prototype/
  • Reply 119 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I guess I misunderstood you. I read (and I don't think I'm alone) "The tablet market is dead there is no game to change" as a statement that an Apple tablet cannot succeed.

My first reply was too short and I didn't explain myself very well so its my bad.

When I think about this being a 10 inch version of an iPod Touch, at least in form factor the only thing that makes me nervous carrying something like that around and not dropping it..lol Thats one thing I always wish Apple would add, accident protection insurance.
  • Reply 120 of 180
    I'm starting to really think the iPhone/iPod is really just a tip of the iceberg. Mobile computing is about to change is a big way. With LTE coming "soon" computers will migrate from the ocean (desk) to land (hand) and evolve into tools future human beings couldn't live without, literally. Stores like BestBuy won't exist as bandwidth increases. Physical media will disappear. Net access will be everywhere, whether mobile, or fixed, and it will be free. It'll be a long time, but Apples eastern approach to business will lead the way.