Apple tablet speculation: high-end graphics, several models

Comments

• Reply 121 of 180
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

When I think about this being a 10 inch version of an iPod Touch, at least in form factor the only thing that makes me nervous carrying something like that around and not dropping it..lol Thats one thing I always wish Apple would add, accident protection insurance.

Dropping a tablet would not be fun. If Apple did offer accident protection insurance, I wonder how much it would cost. I'm guessing I would feel it was too much and not buy it, then proceed to drop the tablet (or whatever) and have to buy a new one.
  • Reply 122 of 180
    Why doesn't Apple just have a tighter standards for a third party background capable app. Make them jump through hoops and get it right, at least let em try.
  • Reply 123 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

Why doesn't Apple just have a tighter standards for a third party background capable app. Make them jump through hoops and get it right, at least let em try.

It will happen eventually, just a matter of when.
  • Reply 124 of 180
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Dropping a tablet would not be fun. If Apple did offer accident protection insurance, I wonder how much it would cost. I'm guessing I would feel it was too much and not buy it, then proceed to drop the tablet (or whatever) and have to buy a new one.

Do any CE companies offer insurance for their products? Isn?t this usually done through the carrier when you subside the device?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

I think that will come with v4.0. The 3GS is the first iPhone that has the HW capable of handling more than one 3rd-party app in any realistic manner. Most importantly the 256MB RAM it now has. I don?t think the other devices will get it even with v4.0.

One theory it that it will an additional API that gets setup in Settings like Notifications where the user can then choose which app(s) can get background capabilities so that when they press the Home Button it will stay running. Not all apps need this so the developer can decide and the resources being used need to be within certain constraints so the forward app isn?t adversely affected.
  • Reply 125 of 180
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Like the iphone it does so much more than just the internet, not having flash isn't going to be a problem in my opinion. Especially if it supports HTML5 and things like LP's. We're really talking about shaping perceptions and I'm not so sure the users first instinct is going to be "how am I getting short changed in my web experience".

The rumours suggest the iTab is likely to be launched early in 2010. Whatever the merits of HTML5 over Flash, the reality is that the Internet will be scarcely any different then, than it is now.

The iTab will have to face the web of today, when it launches, not that envisioned for tomorrow. Today it has flash and Java.

Let me put it another way; If the new iMacs and Macbook Pros didn't have Flash or Java - of which SJ said "Java's not worth building in. Nobody uses Java anymore. It's this big heavyweight ball and chain." - how well would they be accepted do you think?

Quote:

Regarding the medical market... I agree 100%. Every nurse and doctor I know carries an iphone. When they can get a tablet it seems a no brainer. I'm sure the traditional corporate world would be a bigger challenge than specifically the medical field.

The medical market worldwide is quite big enough that I doubt Apple would have to worry about much else for a while. The main problem would be making enough of them.

Quote:

What can't the iphone OS do exactly? When it's got a better CPU and GFX chip it will be cutting edge for sure.

Stuff you need access to a file system for, run all your legacy OSX apps? The model of having to go through an Apple store to put software onto your device will not work for a larger more general purpose device, IMO.

Quote:

I don't think having flash will "cripple" the tablet as some have said nor do I think Flash or web surfing are the "raisons d'être" to own the tablet.

Really? The one killer functionality that put the iPhone ahead of the pack prior to the App Store was it's superior Web surfing experience, hence all the hullabaloo over statistics showing what a huge proportion of mobile device internet access was being done via iPhones.

And before you turn that around and say that was all done without Flash too, I think the crucial difference would be that people will forgive the lack with a tiny device that is limited by a small screen, whereas they wouldn't for something bigger, where full functionality would be expected, as it is with an iMac or Macbook.

Quote:

Apple is going to look to differentiate themselves and while web surfing is key, yes but if I were the salesman I would be confident I could make the pitch and sale even if the browser didn't support flash.

Oh no, I hope Apple never again try to B*shit users with nonsense like they did when touting the superiority of Power PC based Macs over those with Intel architchture.
  • Reply 126 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do any CE companies offer insurance for their products? Isn?t this usually done through the carrier when you subside the device?

I don't believe that it is typically done, nor would I expect it to be done by Apple. It would be interesting though.
  • Reply 127 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by siromega View Post

Sounds to me like it just might be Tegra 2 inside - an ARMv8 dual core CPU and a GPU that can decode 1080p video and render graphics with a GPU core equivalent to a GF GT220. I blogged a few days ago after that whole Nvidia picture thing, and maybe thats what Nvidia was hinting at (as much as it could hint w/o pissing Apple off).

The Tegra 2 is supposed to have a GPU 2-4 times as powerful as the current Tegra in the same power usage envelope, and the current GPU is a GF-6 generation 30 GFLOP unit. Nvidia also has the capability to provide a daughterboard-based GPU like they did for Audi - so you can put a GF GT220M on the inside and get amazing performance for a tablet (and even CUDA/OpenCL).

I don't think Apple's going to wait to release a tablet until Nvidia get's a first-run GPU ready.
  • Reply 128 of 180
    Quote:

It depends on the product. For most celphones at least with Verizon its offered through a third part company. With computers it depends on the company. I buy mostly Velocity Micro high end systems and they offer accident protection for an extra 100.00 on top of their regular extended warranty. Not sure how Tier 1 builders handle this because I never really buy from them.

I could see Apple not offering it on the iPhone but it would be a nice option on notebooks.
  • Reply 129 of 180
    Remember 3 years ago when iPhone rumors were reaching fever pitch? Remember all those "iPod with a dial" Photoshop mockups that now seem ridiculous in hindsight? A few details were predicted but nobody saw the final product coming, not even close. Steve's first iPhone demo left the audience gasping in awe.

Tablets have been around for ages, but mostly in the form of hobbled, keyboardless, pen-mandatory notebooks for niche markets. Apple's been working on tablets for years internally (that's where Mobile Safari came from) but the results were never exciting enough to release as a product. If they're getting ready to release one now, then I'm anxious to see the innovations that prompted them to believe it could be a commercial success.
  • Reply 130 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I guess I wasn't clear.

By "full on" I mean that people seem to expect it will be like a laptop and run all the same programs a laptop will, when IMO it will almost certainly be similar to the iPhone and sync it's content with your "main" computer instead of replacing your main computer.

One would sync books, movies and music to it like an iPod and whatever documents you are working on. But it wouldn't be designed as a stand alone computer although it could be used that way. At least that's what I expect.

As for writing and drawing, I already do it on paper, the idea was I want a computer that can do it. Right now the drawing part is only possible on a desktop, so I have to do it at home (and the writing part as well unless I want to use a laptop, which is too cumbersome for my needs).

I want a portable device that I can write and draw on. I've only been waiting 30 years or so, and I'm kinda hoping this is it.

What are the benefits of writing on paper as opposed to a computer though... despite the entry costs? Apple will have to tackle issues such as document standards, collaboration (iWork.com perhaps), user input (will it have a stylus/use an onscreen keyboard etc), and best cases of use. I don't think they would slap these features on top of iWork as it is - however, switching between a stylus/finger input may be as "inelegant" as turning your phone sideways to use a slide out keyboard (in Apple's eyes at least).

Whatever happens should be interesting. There's a space between the macbook and iPhone for a new product line. If there does happen to be some nifty touch technology, it would be cool if you could connect the tablet to your existing computer using it as a touch pad (think the Wacom Bamboo). Your guess is as good as mine, which is as good as that of an analyst. One thing I know for a fact, is that this tablet will be thin!
  • Reply 131 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That would be cool, but bear in mind that it could also simply be another case of Apple's unnerving habit of throwing cool tech out there and seemingly losing interest.

I think the general feeling about iWork.com in its present state is that it's half-baked. But what if it were to develop into a suite of internet-based productivity applications tied directly into the tablet? Since I don't suppose that Apple created iWork.com just to walk away from it, and since we haven't heard anything new about the service since it appeared (about a year ago now) suggests to me that something might be coming in tandem with the slate that makes the entire package more compelling. It's possible. With Apple, sometimes you need to listen for the dog that doesn't bark.
  • Reply 132 of 180
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

What are the benefits of writing on paper as opposed to a computer though... despite the entry costs? Apple will have to tackle issues such as document standards, collaboration (iWork.com perhaps), user input (will it have a stylus/use an onscreen keyboard etc), and best cases of use. I don't think they would slap these features on top of iWork as it is - however, switching between a stylus/finger input may be as "inelegant" as turning your phone sideways to use a slide out keyboard (in Apple's eyes at least)...

I'm not sure what side of this you are arguing but for me I would rather do everything digitally. It is the 21st century after all. The advantages are pretty obvious in that I can draw in a restaurant or on the train, or I can continuously work on multiple drawings that I carry with me.

You are right that it all depends on the implementation though.

The one thing that tablets do rather well, probably better than any other computer device invented, is draw, but the rest of the paradigm is useless. The challenge for Apple would be to make a useable, portable computer in tablet format that allows for drawing either with a stylus or by some other unknown magical means.

I'm hoping they can do it, but as I said I've been waiting a long time and no one has been able to get this right yet, so who knows.

I think we can expect that Apple will solve the document creation part of the problem with a mobile version of iWork and a small file space accessed through a Documents stack on the bottom of the screen. So the tablet will likely be a great little writing device.

If we still have to finger paint though, it will never be a serious drawing device so I'm still hoping they can solve that problem also.
  • Reply 133 of 180
    All I know is I'm buying one the second I can! I have been waiting for this for agggggesssssss now. Assuming it has a 9400m graphics chip and plus a dual core 2GHz+ CPU in it. (Yes I knowim hopeful!)
  • Reply 134 of 180
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baredd View Post

All I know is I'm buying one the second I can! I have been waiting for this for agggggesssssss now. Assuming it has a 9400m graphics chip and plus a dual core 2GHz+ CPU in it. (Yes I knowim hopeful!)

So a dual-core Pentium is okay?
  • Reply 135 of 180
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

... 10" hi-rez touchscreen (multi-touch with fingers & stylus capable), Tegra 2 inside, [/I]'Touch-ified' Mac OS X (and all of the accompanying apps; Mail, Address Book, Safari, Preview, iTunes, QuickTime X, etc. ...), iLife, iWork, mobile video iChat capable, iTunes-centric App Store, Apple Remote Desktop[/I]; I would SO buy one of these...!

Quote:

This is so not going to happen. You need to dial down your expectations a bit.

It will be either the same OS as the iPhone or a version of the same thing. in other words we will be lucky if it sports a file system. It will not run apps in Windows, or run OS X desktop class apps and will be more of a synced device than a "full on" computer.

I'd be happy if it costs under a $1000 and lets me write and draw on it. Anything more is gravy.

Sorry, I really think you are wrong...

[rant]

The Apple/Mac consumer experience IS Mac OS X & it's accompanying apps (Mail, Safari, iTunes, iChat, etc. ...), it IS iLife & iWork... People want to organize/manipulate/share their photos & their video clips, either by print or the Internet... People want to have easy to use word processors/page layout/spreadsheets/presentation apps available, but many feel M$ Office is bloated overkill...

I am expecting this new device to be the average consumers digital life in an easy to use slate format. It may not actually run the 'full' Mac OS X Snow Leopard; but, much as the iPhone currently does, it will run a derivative of Mac OS X. Taking the time & effort to include the complimentary apps within Mac OS X proper, and to include iLife & iWork will make the forthcoming device a more rounded offering.

Allowing said device to operate as a stand-alone, not depending on a 'host' machine (be it Mac OS X based or Windows XP/Vista/7 based) will allow consumers to truly have the 'Mac experience' from the first moment they start their new device; not having to sync with another machine, not having to set-up the link between device & host first...

[/rant]
  • Reply 136 of 180
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

So a dual-core Pentium is okay?

Dude, that is just so WRONG...!

You are EVIL...!

• Reply 137 of 180
    Quote:

I'm not sure what side of this you are arguing but for me I would rather do everything digitally. It is the 21st century after all. The advantages are pretty obvious in that I can draw in a restaurant or on the train, or I can continuously work on multiple drawings that I carry with me.

You are right that it all depends on the implementation though.

The one thing that tablets do rather well, probably better than any other computer device invented, is draw, but the rest of the paradigm is useless. The challenge for Apple would be to make a useable, portable computer in tablet format that allows for drawing either with a stylus or by some other unknown magical means.

I'm hoping they can do it, but as I said I've been waiting a long time and no one has been able to get this right yet, so who knows.

I think we can expect that Apple will solve the document creation part of the problem with a mobile version of iWork and a small file space accessed through a Documents stack on the bottom of the screen. So the tablet will likely be a great little writing device.

If we still have to finger paint though, it will never be a serious drawing device so I'm still hoping they can solve that problem also.

I'm not arguing from any side per se, but there are definitely things that are easier and more convenient to do with pen and paper - especially when collaboration is required. A big issue with digital document creation I find, are in areas of collaboration and organisation. I liked the whole 'notebook' layout included in one version of Office, quite true to life. I do agree with the more optimistic guys here though, Apple will likely establish a new paradigm for this market once their device is announced.

You do have to wonder how big of an aspect the drawing and writing functions of the device would be. Especially since Apple wants revenue from iTunes store content (I imagine the iTunes store will become a hub for just about all types of digital content in the future). It's hard to tell where they are going to go with this device.
  • Reply 138 of 180
    Right... "several different models". What does THAT mean?

First - Apple rarely does "several different models" to achieve economies of scale.

Second - If 'several' means 2 or 3, then perhaps. But, my guess is that much like the MacBookAir, there will be only one at first.

Third - I've been wrong once before. Ask your mom, she knows. :0)
  • Reply 139 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

I'm not arguing from any side per se, but there are definitely things that are easier and more convenient to do with pen and paper - especially when collaboration is required. A big issue with digital document creation I find, are in areas of collaboration and organisation. I liked the whole 'notebook' layout included in one version of Office, quite true to life. I do agree with the more optimistic guys here though, Apple will likely establish a new paradigm for this market once their device is announced.

You do have to wonder how big of an aspect the drawing and writing functions of the device would be. Especially since Apple wants revenue from iTunes store content (I imagine the iTunes store will become a hub for just about all types of digital content in the future). It's hard to tell where they are going to go with this device.

I don't really understand how paper is better for collaboration, or organization for that matter. When I was in school I wished all my notes were digital because they would be easier to find and organize, and I wouldn't have a storage problem now.
  • Reply 140 of 180
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Is there not a physical layer that can interpret multi-touch or is that purely in software? Is Display Port signaling not pushing the envelope on the next standard is computer display capabilities?

This wonderful display port thingy, would that be anything like the one I have on my Unibody Macbook that doesn't allow you to connect it to anything else without buying a bag full of adapters?

Quote:

Were they not the first to move all their new machines to LED backlights?

Would that be after Toshiba LED the way and showed them the light? Glossy screens anyone - oh what an innovation, a screen that has to be angled to a perfectly sub-optimal angle because the optimal viewing angle and that at which most reflection occurs is coincident. Well done Apple.

Quote:

Were they not the first to embrace USB across the board?

How about FW400 and FW800?

They sold us on Firewire, even making it the interface of choice on iPods like my 3rd generation, then they left it out of the Unibody Macbook I bought. So I have two Apple products that can't be used together and am not impressed with you waving Firewire and USB at me as they are a bit of sore point with regard to Apple.

Quote:

What about the keyboard feel being better than anything else I?ve ever used?

Have you used the keyboard on a G5 iMac? If there is a worse keyboard in the world I would be very surprised

Quote:

What about their iPods not requiring an army of AA batteries to be useful?

Does that make up for them lying outright about the battery capacity and woeful longevity of the 3rd and other generations of iPod, such that they settled a class action lawsuit over the matter? Of course they only settled in the US, those of us in other countries got no compensation. Have you personally installed a new battery in an iPod? Sorry, I don't consider Apple's approach to internal batteries anything to brag about. You do have a remarkable talent for bringing up sore points.

Quote:

What about Apple replacing the unused PF keys with things that control the basic HW without having to hold down the function key? There seems to be a lot of little things over the years that have added up a more consumer friendly machine. But wait, your argument is that they use the same Intel CPUs that other PC vendors can use so they are exactly the same. Is that right?

You seem to be over reacting to what I said.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui:

Apple traditionally does leading edge software, not hardware.