AT&T upgrades network as wireless traffic quadruples over past year

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    I work in times square (IE:cross roads of the world) - dropped calls, no reception, barely any 3G on my iphone 3g. Why can't At&t at least make their service work in an area of 5 square blocks that gets a million people a day in it? You would think it would be a no brainer. Once Iphone hits VZW, I'm switching cancelation fee or not
  • Reply 62 of 87
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I feel bad for people who have purchased iPhones when they know damn well that their area is devoid of AT&T coverage, but stupid people do stupid things. [/B]

brilliant!

if you live where ATT service sucks, don't get AT&T.

that's as stupid as buying UGG boots in Hawaii or a speedo in Alaska.

the rest of us are perfectly happy because we didn't buy an iPhone until we knew the thing would work flawlessly where we live.
  • Reply 63 of 87
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

I'm sure [there is] a lot less [network usage on Verizon than AT&T]. But their coverage is a lot wider then AT&T's.

My earlier point is that it's been easier for Verizon to broaden its area of 3G coverage because it hasn't had to service such high demand. The highest demand is in metropolitan areas, where it is more challenging technologically, politically and economically to add towers.

Verizon's Druid will sell far fewer units than the iPhone before the Druid is obsolete, replaced by an LTE model, and LTE is available in the metropolitan areas. Going forward, Verizon still has the relative freedom to pursue roll-out of LTE.
  • Reply 64 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

First of all, relax, and grow up a bit. Nobody cares about AT&T or Verizon. However, people like myself that have been on AT&T for 3 years can SPEAK to OUR EXPERIENCE regarding service.

Mine has been nothing short of excellent. I feel bad for people who have purchased iPhones when they know damn well that their area is devoid of AT&T coverage, but stupid people do stupid things. I have never been able to equate some people's experience with AT&T, and thus have no sympathy for people with the wrong impression of their service.

3 years on an iPhone, and I've had less than 5 dropped calls. The worst service I've ever gotten was during short periods of days (during secret maintenance) where 3G was absent entirely in my area. Beyond that, its been fast and consistent. I don't live anywhere special. Central NJ.

AT&T service is good. No many how many articles people write about dropped calls in NYC, my AT&T service is still excellent and you could not pay me to give up my Roll Over minutes and switch to Verizon. Not only is the service faster overall, but the data connection during a phone call is ESSENTIAL to my business.

Your experience mirrors mine exactly. Because some folks in SF and NYC have a lousy experience, they conclude that all of ATT in the US must share that, or that we must be a bunch of idiots with low expectations!

I agree with your larger point: These people should go on to something other than an iPhone if ATT is the problem, and stop the incessant whining!
  • Reply 65 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

The Bay area has 2.4% of the US population. And since about 6.4 million iPhones are active in the U.S, with an Average Revenue Per User of $92, this means that over the past 6 quarters, iPhone customers in the Bay area have spent about $254m in service fees.

Compare that to the $65m AT&T has spent to maintain their network in that area during that time.

Ah, the typical arrogance. How do you know that all Bay Area customers get lousy ATT service? Can you remotely prove that it even comes close?
  • Reply 66 of 87
    Have any of you SF, people tried to use 3G at Niners or Giants (when Lincecum or Cain is pitching) game. Here in Philadelphia AT&Ts 3G network is excellent. I rarely leave the city, but throughout the city I have great download speeds even on campus at the University of Pennsylvania where it seems like about 50% of the students have iPhones. However at Phillies games 3g on my iPhone is usually dead. It simply doesn't work. I have to go into settings and disable 3G and go back to edge. Have any sports fans out there in SF noticed this too?
  • Reply 67 of 87
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

Fix NYC, AT&T. I'm in downtown Manhattan and I get my calls dropped consistently and I'm just not able to get online (despite "showing" full bars with 3G) at all? Really?

Abso-fcuking-ridiculous.

When, not if, but when, the iPhone becomes available on another carrier, I will switch. And many others will as well, mark my words.

I don't understand why everyone doesn't switch carriers whenever they feel like it. In Australia, not only can you get the iPhone at almost all telcos, and unlocked on day 1 from Apple stores, but most people switch their phone to whoever they like. And whenever they like. It's just not worth sticking with a telco that sucks.

The idea that a particular phone and the phone company go together is just unheard of and is inherently unnatural. It's two separate decisions in that you choose whatever phone you like from wherever you get it, and then make a separate decision about finding the right carrier that actually makes the phone work best.

Phone companies need to be put on notice, and those sims need to be swapped!
  • Reply 68 of 87
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    In the US our carriers use different and incompatible mobile communications technology. Our carriers don't necessarily have the same philosophy about how they run their networks, so you cannot necessarily use your phone on one network the same way you can on another network.

Verizon does not use SIM cards.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

I don't understand why everyone doesn't switch carriers whenever they feel like it.

Phone companies need to be put on notice, and those sims need to be swapped!

• Reply 69 of 87
    With Verizon, there is no way for users to switch/alternate devices independently of the carrier as there are no removable SIM cards. As I understand it, the new LTE equipped devices will contain a new version of the SIM, yet you will still need the authorization of the carrier in order to switch phones, devices, etc. I like the freedom of switching at my will, without restrictions, and have become used to the luxury. Therefore, despite the discrepancies in coverage, I will continue to stay with AT&T.
  • Reply 70 of 87
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phasornc View Post

Have any of you SF, people tried to use 3G at Niners or Giants (when Lincecum or Cain is pitching) game. Here in Philadelphia AT&Ts 3G network is excellent. I rarely leave the city, but throughout the city I have great download speeds even on campus at the University of Pennsylvania where it seems like about 50% of the students have iPhones. However at Phillies games 3g on my iPhone is usually dead. It simply doesn't work. I have to go into settings and disable 3G and go back to edge. Have any sports fans out there in SF noticed this too?

If I am not mistaken, they have free Wi-Fi at the stick and the phone booth. People with iPhones probably would use that instead of 3G. With regard to bad service in the Mission district, that is surprising, since the Sutro tower looms over it. It would seem that AT&T could put more cells up there.
  • Reply 71 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Compared to AT&T, how much traffic does Verizon really have on its 3G network?

I believe Congress mandated analog support until Feb. 2008. The carriers would have dumped it sooner, if they had been allowed.

i got a chance to play with a friend's Droid yesterday, and I really hadn't realized how bad it is on ATT until we did a side by side comparison. not sure if Verizon's network is that much better, or if they're not as saturated as ATT, but ATT is embarassingly slow compared to V.
  • Reply 72 of 87
    so here is what's happening in SF - you now get full signal according to the bars on iPhone, but you cannot connect to the internet.. it's just spinning and eventually times out. Great improvement AT sucky T!
  • Reply 73 of 87
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    That does indeed suck. But AT&T can say we mailed out the information and displayed it in our billing materials. We cannot be held responsible if it was lost in the mail.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

I never received a letter or any notice OF ANY KIND. One day, my TDMA phone just stopped working and it was at a most inconvenient time. When I called them, they did a lousy job of explaining what happened and just told me I needed a new phone/plan (which of course cost more than my old plan). It's always convenient to blame clueless granny for not being tech savvy or obstinate though.

• Reply 74 of 87
    IM guessing that more and more people are jailbreaking their IPhones so they can tether! I know I did.

RT

www.online-privacy.at.tc
  • Reply 75 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shookster View Post

3G speed doesn't bother me too much. I just want fewer dropped calls.

It bothers me. Especially when it's zero speed. Earlier today I had to turn off 3G altogether because my iPhone would not connect to my mac.com account. With 5 bars of coverage. EDGE worked fine.

AT&T just can't keep their 3G network functional.
  • Reply 76 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Coverage in the SFBA and the Monterey Bay Area is excellent as far as I'm concerned and I get around a lot. I get great coverage in dense areas of the Silicon Valley, great coverage in the mountains and great coverage in SF proper.

Are you kidding me???

I live in North San Jose and I CAN'T use my phone in my appartment. Yes, I can get calls inside (sometimes), but I don't hear people and people don't hear me. I must be on my balcony to speak with anyone. And it's not the only dead spot here.
  • Reply 77 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

2) Switching to 850MHz - Huge improvement when it comes to areas like San Francisco with building, hills and other things that can block the signal. This is a little more involved than upgrading the backhaul.

I don't think so. Let's ask RF engineers about this issue.

As I know the lower frequencies are used in rural areas, and the higher frequencies are used in densely populated areas. Yes, they need to install more towers for higher frequencies, but the advantages are higher speed, higher capacity of the network and more reliable network.

At least most europian networks are built in this fashion. And (surprise!) they have much more reliable networks
  • Reply 78 of 87
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

And I roll my eyes when supposed uber techs pontificate about how complex their job is and what a big deal it is.

Then answer me this wonderboy- How come in the flattest swath of SF in a neighborhood called the mission there is shot for coverage? How come AT&T will acknowledge that fact and let you out of an early termination fee?

Stop talking like a douche and get to work, tool.

Oh and btw... "private citizens"? Are you in the military? no.. you're an engineer. moron. Let me clue you into a fact- you're a private citizen too.

You've just proven true the old adage:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
  • Reply 79 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

Fix NYC, AT&T. I'm in downtown Manhattan and I get my calls dropped consistently and I'm just not able to get online (despite "showing" full bars with 3G) at all? Really?

Abso-fcuking-ridiculous.

When, not if, but when, the iPhone becomes available on another carrier, I will switch. And many others will as well, mark my words.

Yep... you're absolutely right that it is totally and completely AT&T's fault that the city of New Yawk decided to build hundreds of giant Faraday cages around you in Manhattan that result in you getting dropped calls.

Abso-.... what? English please?

I guess it's true what they say... only in New Yawk.
  • Reply 80 of 87
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    I have no idea why there are so many AT&T apologists on here..

but it sort of mirrors a combo of stockholm syndrome and Msoft techies talking about how apple sucks for whatever unfounded lame reason.. you guys sound pretty lame. sorry if it hits home so hard to hear ATT sucks that you can't get past it to understand the SF bay area.. is grossly shite and it HARMS atts image very badly/

I'm not put down but such lame shit as some idiot telling me I am dumb for speaking my mind... and it speaks volumes that some here want to put me down for speaking the truth about my experience with ATT service. patsy much?

It is shite how AT&T can't deliver in the bay area.. period. I'm happy you get good signal in TX or whatever other state. imagine it was the opposite where you lived? Would it be ok then?

but for a 7x7 very tech-centric city like SF and the surrounding area to have poor coverage for years is sad. so very sad and pathetic. It's a testament to apple and their products that a lot of my friends and I stick with the iphone despite the engineering and technical set backs due to ATTs poor planning and technical FAIL.

sorry you patsys feel threatened by the truth. thanks for showing me why ATT is enabled to provide such shit service.