AT&T upgrades network as wireless traffic quadruples over past year

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Is this article trying to point out that SF got an upgrade? AT&T has already upgraded Dallas / Fort Worth and sent the following communication out on Nov. 10. I guess the Cali folks thought they were special...

Naww, they're doing that in every city, trying to control the bad buzz spreading like wildfire. Denver got their press release last week.

As a sidenote, notice how the articles, press releases and the "general buzz" do not talk about how they're converting 2G cell towers to 3G? Are they serious when they call this "upgrading?" My 2G phone, in the past year, has gone from 3 bars to 1/0 bars and when I call them about it there's a wall of silence. Wait a second, I take that back, the last time I called one of the programmed hypnotized droids had the gall to tell me it was either my refrigerator or microwave causing the issues, not their network.
  • Reply 82 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

Fix NYC, AT&T. I'm in downtown Manhattan and I get my calls dropped consistently and I'm just not able to get online (despite "showing" full bars with 3G) at all? Really?

Abso-fcuking-ridiculous.

When, not if, but when, the iPhone becomes available on another carrier, I will switch. And many others will as well, mark my words.

Seriously. AT&T in Manhattan is UNUSABLE. Dropped calls like no other network and data is unusable. Can't even bring up google a lot of the time, and push email is far from push when you don't have a reliable data connection.

We all get full bars AT&T, unfortunately this means fcuk all. Full bars does not mean you will get data or be able to have a call not drop.
  • Reply 83 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

The Bay area has 2.4% of the US population. And since about 6.4 million iPhones are active in the U.S, with an Average Revenue Per User of $92, this means that over the past 6 quarters, iPhone customers in the Bay area have spent about $254m in service fees.

Compare that to the $65m AT&T has spent to maintain their network in that area during that time.

You must not be from the Bay Area if you think only 2.4% of US iPhones sold are used here! I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to 10%.
  • Reply 84 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

+1. I enjoy my rock solid connection here in Houston.

What is that app? Jailbroken only?
  • Reply 85 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

In the US our carriers use different and incompatible mobile communications technology. Our carriers don't necessarily have the same philosophy about how they run their networks, so you cannot necessarily use your phone on one network the same way you can on another network.

Verizon does not use SIM cards.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

With Verizon, there is no way for users to switch/alternate devices independently of the carrier as there are no removable SIM cards. As I understand it, the new LTE equipped devices will contain a new version of the SIM, yet you will still need the authorization of the carrier in order to switch phones, devices, etc. I like the freedom of switching at my will, without restrictions, and have become used to the luxury. Therefore, despite the discrepancies in coverage, I will continue to stay with AT&T.

Thanks guys... Sorry I didn't realise there were non-SIM phones and that Verizon doesn't use them. I winced when said that carrier authorisation was needed to switch phones in some cases as wel. Boogerman, I'd be like you and definitely want the ability to switch at will. Nothing seems like a greater pain than not having the ability to switch phones and all that at will.
  • Reply 86 of 87
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

+1. I enjoy my rock solid connection here in Houston.

i never go below 3.4 in nyc and at home 10.88 is my all time low
  • Reply 87 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nondual View Post

What is that app? Jailbroken only?

Speedtest.net